[ACT III] The Unforgiven

+
Thank you very much... i had rather guessed that after logging out and posting this so thank you again for the confirrmation :teeth:

I can't seem to be able to convince Yaevinn to help me fight the Salamandra. Quest - The UnforgivenJournal says "I should get Yaevinn to give me an important task. Maybe that's a way to win his trust" When I asked him if he wanted to join me, he told me "Remember what I told you before" or something like that. I could use that diolog option only once...it's no longer available. Siegfried is nowhere to be found. (I know where to look but he isn't there.) I completed "A Posh Reception" but the little boy won't find me. Any help would be much appreciated!

do you recall doing any favours for Yaevinn, or starting to and not finishing ? ... does a letter ring any bells ? or a trip to the sewers ?

I brought the letter to the dwarf and got a response from him later on and then I headed back to the swamps. So yeah I think I did that quest. I don't remember being asked to go down to the sewers though. I also did Siegfried a favor by completing the cemetary quest. When in the swamps, in non-human camp Yaevinn asked me what side I was on, I said "On my own" As far as I know, after completing 'a posh reception", a little boy is supposed to deliver a message for me regarding the dwarf's bank. That's where I get to choose sides too, but he never finds me...

He does come after A Posh Reception ... but i've always done "Echoes of Yesterday" for Yaevinn (the trip to the sewers) and i've never had a problem. I'm not saying that you /must/ do this quest no matter what, but possibly you've left yourself no options.it's worth a try ... see if Ren and the boys are there in the sewer ... it's not like it's that far to go to check :peace:

SATG87 said:
I brought the letter to the dwarf and got a response from him later on and then I headed back to the swamps. So yeah I think I did that quest. I don't remember being asked to go down to the sewers though. I also did Siegfried a favor by completing the cemetary quest. When in the swamps, in non-human camp Yaevinn asked me what side I was on, I said "On my own" As far as I know, after completing 'a posh reception", a little boy is supposed to deliver a message for me regarding the dwarf's bank. That's where I get to choose sides too, but he never finds me...
afair the first quest that, involves choosing sides, is when you lead a group of soldiers to the swamps. you can lead sigfried`s men o yaevinn`s men to the golems place.then is a quest when you check out mysterious deaths in the cemetary (from sigfried,who suggsest some big ghoul activity is to blame, then geralt meets someone very original - vetala ), or to secure "elven artifacts", (yaevin has not heard from his scouting spec ops party,asks geralt to check out things in the sewers)i think theese quests are exclusive. you either help siegfried or yaevinn (cause it involves the same elven "commando").real choice quest is that with a bank robbery. i dont remember however, what triggers this

you can do both Six Feet Under /and/ Echoes of Yesterday if you time things right. They are not technically mutually exclusive ... but if you don't get the order right, then one of them will indeed fail. It does not matter who you help in Force Recon (the swamp) AFAIK :peace:

I had intended to play neutral on my second playthrough. But I don't know how... in the bank quest you can't stay neutral, you have to choose a side. I even chose the way I thought of as "middle way", going in with Siegfried and trying to negotiate and ending up doing the small favor of taking care of the kikimores for the elves. But of course now that dimwit Siegfried refuses to at least hear me out (why can't I kill him then and there, would be much more satisfying...). But I can't not choose an ally, so am I now stuck with the Scoia'tael path again? Is really all I can do to side with them now and then turn my back on them in Murky Waters and watch them slaughter each other? I guess, I missed the right turn somewhere. How can the witcher stay truly neutral at all, when the game demands to take sides all the time?

DelightfulMcCoy said:
I had intended to play neutral on my second playthrough. But I don't know how... in the bank quest you can't stay neutral, you have to choose a side. I even chose the way I thought of as "middle way", going in with Siegfried and trying to negotiate and ending up doing the small favor of taking care of the kikimores for the elves. But of course now that dimwit Siegfried refuses to at least hear me out (why can't I kill him then and there, would be much more satisfying...). But I can't not choose an ally, so am I now stuck with the Scoia'tael path again? Is really all I can do to side with them now and then turn my back on them in Murky Waters and watch them slaughter each other? I guess, I missed the right turn somewhere. How can the witcher stay truly neutral at all, when the game demands to take sides all the time?
well...staying neutral involves choosing lesser evil, depending on circumstances. sometimes geralt is forced to lean to one side, but it doesn`t mean he is with them.

Huh. I guess that means I leant too much to one side... but who can just stand by when elves are starving or dwarves are being mobbed? That just wouldn't be the right thing to do. That's not being neutral, that's being indifferent with a side dish of inhumanity. And aside from that, gamewise it means just ignoring a quest and loosing out on experience.Is the game itself biased despite what it claims to be? I would've chosen it to be the lesser evil to take the order people into the Salamandra cave. And a logical choice. They are better armed, they can handle themselves better than a couple measly dwarves. But because I didn't kill Yaevinn earlier, this option isn't available for me. Why can I on my witcher path not use the factions as I see fit? I do one little thing for one side and the other is forever offended. Shouldn't there be a way to make it up to them, at least temporarily? Is the bank incident really the one and only quest that nails the player to the Scoia'tael? And I couldn't just stay out of it, I had to help one of them. I seem to be missing the logic here. I did what I thought was the humane thing to do, but that doesn't mean that I condone the Squirrels setting the city on fire. I take a cave full of kikimores every day over that massacre. I hope I can still jump off that wagon somewhere in the future.Funny thing: The dwarven blacksmith in the temple quarter didn't want to deal with me anymore, but the order armorer did. That's kind of warped. And since when are w'hores so political? I can't even approach a hooker anymore, I mean, the lady in the nonhuman district is b'itching about me being an elf lover. There's a saying about throwing stones when sitting in a house of glass - I'm just saying. ;)

As far as I know, there are only two quests that "fix" the side you choose: The bank ist the first step, as your decission will fix which side you can't take anymore, the second, in Act IV, lets you decide between a neutral way or to side with the other fraction. But your decission, allthough it alter the way how the story evolves, and how it ends, won't change the main parts of the story, the main events. You won't get into a position in which you can really influence the ingame actions of the fractions. They will act as they act no matter what decission you take, you can only influence the "minor" characters like Yeavinn or Siegfried.

So basically I need to take Alvin and walk away from the conflict in the village and let them bash their heads in? Hm... I don't think it's the right thing to do at this moment, only if you have a foreknowledge of the further happenings. I am not very happy with that solution, but I think I'll go with it. Hehe, I guess the easiest path is the order path: just stupidly follow what others tell you and keep chanting "eternal fire, fill my heart". Catchy slogan, by the way. Really tempting to just go with the flow and constantly being reassured that you work for a higher good... :angel:But that is not the witchery thing to do, is it. ;) Surely not for someone who doesn't see the point of organized religions.I don't want to give the impression that I'm frustrated with the game, though. I love it to pieces and I hope they make a sequel (after that ending teaser they must!) and am very curious how that will turn out.

Right now I am in Chapter III. I took the side of the elves in the bank break-in and now none of the humans (Siegfreid, Velerad, deWett) will talk to me. I am supposed to find the main Elve or Vincent but can't find ANYONE. Triss has shown me the house where the signal is coming from but there is nothing there. I've teleported to the swamp tower and saw Kalkstein. I've teleported to the sewers but saw no one. I need to find Vincent but Carmen told me he was at the "station". Where is that??? I don't remember ever hearing of it.Where do I go from here? Please help. I'm really tired of just sitting there waiting for stuff to load.Thanks!

During daytime, Vincent should be at his post in Temple District, just near the training area for the city guard. If Triss has told you where the mirror transmission is from, you should allready have visited the rstricted area of the Trade district, so you can finish the quest "Bueaty and the Beast". If you're looking for Yaewin, he might be at the the house of a dwarf with s'coiatel connections...

You know, you're right! It was night because of all the kikkimores I had to kill. I wasn't thinking straight from all the "loading" I had already done running around looking for people.........and it was a long, long, commute home from work ;)Thanks so much for the help.

Just another question. After I find Vincent does the Chapter move forward? I seem to be really stuck here where nothing is happening.

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
Yea... You just need to meet him in the right time and place.
After visiting Salamandras in their base - You will meet him in a bit different form ;)

Thanks, again, to both of you. So glad it is the weekend and not such great weather here in Massachusetts, USA so I can play this game more than an hour! I'm obsessed!!

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
mondotomhead said:
I'm obsessed!!
Start getting used to and see what symptoms You will have soon:http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=6322.0:DHave fun playing ;)

Ohhhhhh, that was a great thread. I really liked Darth'Mael's and the one about waiting for 30 seconds after entering school! ;D

Top Bottom