[Act IV] Anyone find this chapter weird?

+
Kioco said:
The time I played through this time I killed Abigail, and got some old lady as the healer and when I spoke to her after the Mirror part I had to talk to Adam and he killed himself to be with Alina...through out it all I never got a chance at all to give Celina the Wreath...which I did have...I spend alot of time running around the Fields looking and gave up and moved onto Chapter 5 now.Interesting to see if anyone else has killed poor Abigail and found the same problem as I did, or was this part about Adam killing himself added into 1.2 also.
That's the beauty of this game. The decisions you make and take during the course of playing this game has some minor to major implication down the line. When i played through i had defended Abigail, from the village mob, for this act of kindness, she makes an appearance in Epilogue. As for Adam, Justin informs the witcher that Adam will have to pay for his crime etc. Instead of talking to the healer, you can try talking to the lady of the lake. if you had talked to the hermit he would advise you to either talk to the witch or the lady.

Wulfbane said:
Let me clear some of your doubts:1. The wreath of immortelles works - the result that i got was after handing it over to her Celina, she disappears, together with her sister Alina.2. The Ravens Armour quest - in reality it kicks of here in chapter 4 and you can clear it in chapter 5 -if you find all the pieces after talking to the relevant NPC's you can be wearing your new Armour before your fight with Javes, in the Old Manor house.3. Regards to the Holy Grail - The lady was very upset that all her guardian knights died following a dream. That is one of the reason she never encourages Geralt to follow in the foot steps of her foolish knights. Plus if you followed the explanation given by the hermit, Geralt will conclude in his reply that the grail represents a way of life for a Knight and not an object. Moreover, Geralt does get knighted by the lady when she gives him the sword.4.The lady explains to Geralt, to treat her as a woman and not as a goddess but as a female with feelings and desires. And our randy poetic friend says "You ass puts other's to shame" this poetic remarks, cracks the lady up. Well thats my two cents on this topic.
Err... thanx but that really isnt what i was talking about.1. I know it works, I finished the game. It doesnt work all the time and as i clearly said not just for me but for a lot of people. Its bugged and it should be fixed.2. I know where i can find Ravens armor, thanx, i finished the game. My point was that it wasnt explained it is not in the act 4 at all. Infact it looks like it is which cost a lot of people a lot of nerves and time.3. I know the Lady was very upset about it - which could be deduced from my mentioning Ladies reply to geralt and not so veiled threat - either.Hermit gives you three possible answers about the topic of Holy grail. One you mentioned is only one of them. Lady makes you a knight at the end of that chapter - which looks like the end or extension of that whole non existant, not resolved story.If there is so much talk about those knights, by a goddes to whom they are very important and by a Hermit who guards their graves and even comunicates with them. If you are warned not to talk to lady about them and not to go into search of it yourself - there should have been something more to it. Or it should have been clearly explained thjat its just a side story not a possible quest.Though as it is (with lady knighting you in the end and all) it should have been atleast connected to that somehow.It just feels like a cut out quest, as it is now. i would like to know if that is the truth or is it just another consequence of "english version".And you cannot give me that answer. I didnt even ask you at all in the first place.4. I know very wel what the lady said to geralt and i find it uncompatible with the start of that and that is geralt saying he will go to quest for holy grail then saying " I was jesting".Also a friggin godess, especialy a subtle one like the Lady is would not throw herself at somebody that way, though as you say some explanation of that was given - it was not clear enough and i feel it would be much more appropriate if she still showed Geralt who is leading that game in more direct manner than it was.That part of the dialogue was disconnected and unclear and felt sudden and cut up.It should have been done better.In other words , there should have been a quest for the holy grail, Geralt should have been able to talk to the ghosts of the dead knights about it and even have some adventure because of it in which he either discovers grail is not within reach or nearly dies but Lady intervenes and saves him and that leads into her explaining about her knights and "going to bed" with Geralt in the end.

Hi,I don't know how it looks in the English version of The Witcher (or other not Polish versions), but the Polish version makes a lot of use of many things that are trendy right now in Poland. I guess that dialogs or names are just translated, so it's less attractive. For example: Ramsmeat stands for "Baranina" in Polish, it may be funny to you, but many Polish gangsters of the 90's used to use such "meat-nicknames".About the fourth act. In my opinion, the story behind this act is inspired by the book "Balladyna" by "Juliusz Słowacki" (http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balladyna - sorry, I couldn't find anything in English). There are of course many differences, but there are also similarities, for example: two sisters (in the book: "Alina" and "Balladyna", in the game: "Alina" and "Celina"), like in the book the not-Alina is jealous of Alina's boyfriend and the not-Alina kills Alina, and also berries are very characteristic.

IV is by FAR my favorite chapter; Dagon, naked lake ladies, Hippy Cthul'Hu guys, witcher bitch-fit cat-fight, shit storm at the end and the best evironmental art of the game to be sure. (and I do emphasize ART). Awesome.

Xhan said:
IV is by FAR my favorite chapter; Dagon, naked lake ladies, Hippy Cthul'Hu guys, witcher bitch-fit cat-fight, shit storm at the end and the best evironmental art of the game to be sure. (and I do emphasize ART). Awesome.
now that you mention it, it did seem to have a very impressionist look about it; especially the way they did the fields area.

IMO this was by far the best chapter, I enjoyed it immensely, the setting was so different. The beginning is intriguing, you see the city that disappers, and at the end, I won't spoil it for you, but I felt this overwhelming sense of loss at the end cut scene when you leave the country side, it feels like when you grow up and leave your town and you come back to everything changed, it makes you a bit sad. I had a feeling at the end of this chapter that the country side would never be the same after Geralt's visit, and not in a good way, it was a fantastic transition to a new area and new challenges, and a great reprieve that at the end, made you very glad to take that journey. I mean you become a freaking knight, so the chapter has its own inclusive reward. good stuff...

This chapter was for me (as I actually finished it yesterday) very appealing. Large areas with basically no habitants that even more emphasized the fatality of the events. And events there were not much happening on display, but in vocal interactions and taking stances or decisions. When I was leaving the village after talking to Dandalion I, accidentally, took the boat myself and ended at the island. And I felt sad at this point. For not seeing lady anymore, for that I must leave this beautiful countryside. That there will be only suffering and pain on my (i.e. Geralt's) path...In fact the final cut scene was stronger than anything I ever experienced in this game. I guess it would not probably play that strong if it was not preceded by hectic city life and saving the world, but this clearly even more shows that whoever design it, really had the feeling for it.It is only shame that the game is so bugged, that it is crashing on me several times a day. Being the programmer myself, I cannot find excuse for this.

SPOILERS..Chapter IV is a great idea, I love the implementation of a 'break' as Katarzyna Kuczyńska describes it - a wonderful piece of pacing there. I'm still in the middle of it and the art-work on view is very nice, and i love the set-up with the wedding tragedy. Only one thing confuses me and that's Alvin's company. After Alina's death he appears in the Lakeside and the Fields, but doesn't follow the player into town or onto Black Tern. It would make better sense if he accompanied Geralt everywhere, but even MORE sense if Geralt sent him back to Abigail since it seems odd Geralt would let him wander around areas as dangerous as the Fields and Lakeside by himself. The game's been trying very hard to tell me that Alvin is both precious and hunted by Salamandra, so it seems very counterintuitive to leave him at loose ends like this, just so he can deliver some lines on-site in the 'Heat of the Day' quest-line. But top-flight work all-around. The game continues to impress.

It's my favourite act by far. So beautiful and peaceful.My only complaint is i find the grass a little too tall in the fields. As i play the game with the 'Over The Shoulder' view it sometimes makes it difficult to see where i'm going. But this is a very minor complaint and the rest of the Act more than makes up for it.

shammyshamrock said:
My only complaint is i find the grass a little too tall in the fields. As i play the game with the 'Over The Shoulder' view it sometimes makes it difficult to see where i'm going.
I think that was the plan. ;)

Planewalker said:
Planewalker said:
My only complaint is i find the grass a little too tall in the fields. As i play the game with the 'Over The Shoulder' view it sometimes makes it difficult to see where i'm going.
I think that was the plan. ;)
Why on earth would they want to obscure my view on purpose? To make me resort to the awful isometric views?

shammyshamrock said:
Why on earth would they want to obscure my view on purpose? To make me resort to the awful isometric views?
The fields are suppsed to be dangerous. No greater fun for me than wading through the tall grass with faraway item/monster labels turned off. Makes running into a devourer or a wraith much more exciting. :beer:

Planewalker said:
Planewalker said:
The fields are suppsed to be dangerous. No greater fun for me than wading through the tall grass with faraway item/monster labels turned off. Makes running into a devourer or a wraith much more exciting. :beer:
I see your point but i would of liked to of seen the beautiful fields from afar rather than only seeing a few feet infront of me. If you know what i mean? But like i said, it's only a small complaint as it's the best ACT by far IMO :)

Hmm, nice indeed, aliitle bit too short though, but it works....But the thing that impressed me the most is that it made me laugh like crazy....It was like 1 o'clock PM, and I was rushing to finish the chapter to go to bed because I had to go to work next day....I have met Dandelion on the hill as agreed to put the noonbride to rest.I started the dialogue surprised that he wasn't prepared at all, and evry time he asked something I answered with: "The Noonwraith", at my second attempt to answer like that he said a phrase that made me laugh for 10 minutes continously.It was something like: "My lady excuse his words, but not all of us were made to be sensitive", or something like that....I think is really great....Good job guys....keep it on

Great tunes in this chapter.This is like a spa ! you take bath, sun, relax, then you mix potions before handeling the last chapters.At least after this you know why you are doing all this ]:->enjoy it and have fun !

what i think about this chapter is: TOO DAMN SHORT! im now at the beginning of chap5 i will definately say the whole game is too short when im finished cause good games always feel too short but chapter 4 felt like a drop of blood into a shark pool... *cries*

shammyshamrock said:
I always thought that the OTS view was the awful one. Camera in OTS starts off at an awful angle in the first place, and is stuck there permanently. Beats me why anyone would ever wanna play in OTS mode. I also thought that Isometric was default view that the game was designed around. I couldn't even find a way to use basic game functions like hover over the time of day in the game in the awful OTS view. :eek:As for the thread topic, it's awesome for games to have a good variety of environments so it's good that Chapter IV had a much different environment.

Top Bottom