[Act V] Berengar and Azar Javed (Act 5) Spoilers!

+
[Act V] Berengar and Azar Javed (Act 5) Spoilers!

Ok. Berengar decided to come help me once I faced Azar Javed. Probably because I told him I'd made a bunch of bad decisions myself, and wasn't about to judge him for his - when I met him at the island.Anyways, he kept dying in the Azar battle - which I REALLY wasn't happy with. I mean - Geralt is right there and kicking ass - so OF COURSE he should be able to keep Azar off Berengar. So I kept trying to save him. And I finally did. But I'm sort of thinking I wasn't intended to be able to do just that?I kept Azar more or less permanently floored with my Ard/Stunning spell. Berengar and I wailed at him while he was getting on his feet. Kept repeating this. Once, I stunned him right after Azar had managed to floor Berengar with a group combo. I believe what happened then was that Azar somehow stumbled over Berengar - and ended in the water mote. This instantly killed Azar. Berengar is alive, but I can't loot Azar since he's in an unaccessible place. In fact - his body seems to be gone alltogether.Anyways - loosing the mutagen recipe was a cheap price to save Berengars life I thought. Berengar still wasn't convinced that Azar was dead though - he keeps standing by the edge to the water - sword raised and very eager to hit something.I talked to the mirror and didn't get a chance to talk to Berengar before I got transported out of there. Seeing as Berengar didn't follow me out, I went back in to see if he's alright.http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/2029/berengaralivesg4.jpgHe's still standing there - ready to fight Azar should he raise from the dead. But I can't get to him. Can't talk to him. Azar's shield keeps me from re-entering the room.Sort of unsatisfactory to spend so much effort to save him - only to leave him there in the lab. Is it not supposed to be possible to save Berengar? Ah well - Geralt "magically" got out of that lab, so I suppose Berengar's big enough of a boy to do the same once he decides Azar really is dead.Also, I immediately ran to the Druid cave after coming outside - you never know - maybe Azars goons really had gotten to Shani. To my great relief she was ok - but I was a bit miffed that I couldn't brag to her about slaying Azar. Ah well - perhaps I'll get to impress her later.Oh - and please don't write how it ends here - I haven't gotten further - spent all evening saving Berengar! :)

Well, I cant talk from my experience, since it went a little different in my game, but I understood from other peoples posts that Berengar always dies in the Azar fight. Perhaps you managed to do something not intented by the developers through "smart use of game mechanics"? :)

Then that's my favourite Witcher bug! I told that lady of the lake that I make my own destiny - and so I have - even if beating destiny required other tools than I'd foreseen! ;D

no although a bit harder than just letting him die it is entirely possible to keep him alive during the fight without bugging it like you did.. I suggest reloading the savegame you made just prior and trying again.. unless you already kept on going.I had the same thought myself when playing that part.. funny thing is after trying several times and finally getting Azar down before he managed to kill Berengar I actually felt that it had more poetic justice and a nicer ring to it when he died.. He did a lot of bad shit and that he died sacrificing himself for the witchers and Geralt especially just felt better..I mean even though he helped kill Azar I wouldn't trust his ass with anything considering all the shit he has done.

My Javed fell in the moat once, too, and I thought, "Oh, hell; now what do I do?" So I ran around the room some, looking at everything, even circling all the way around the balcony, and when I got back, Azar's corpse was on the floor next to the moat. I don't quite know what made this happen, but you can try running around the room for awhile and see if it works for you, too.

nimue

Forum veteran
I seem to remember a post a while ago in which the poster had kept Berengar alive through the battle (no bugs there, apparently), and seen a cutscene afterwards. I've tried several times to reproduce that, but Berengar is just too fragile :(

Nimue said:
I seem to remember a post a while ago in which the poster had kept Berengar alive through the battle (no bugs there, apparently), and seen a cutscene afterwards. I've tried several times to reproduce that, but Berengar is just too fragile :(
That's interesting. I saw a post just a couple of days ago (here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=13343.0) where someone had kept Berengar alive, and people were asking what he said afterwards. The answer was...nothing. That person didn't get a cutscene.

On my first gameplay Berengar died as well, Azar Javed decided to take a bath in the moat after Geralt killed him... but I could loot him. On my 2ns gameplay Berengar was knocked down several times by Javed but got up every time and survived. After the fight he said nothing... apparently became a 2nd Erkin von Blunt ;D

PetraSilie said:
On my first gameplay Berengar died as well, Azar Javed decided to take a bath in the moat after Geralt killed him... but I could loot him. On my 2ns gameplay Berengar was knocked down several times by Javed but got up every time and survived. After the fight he said nothing... apparently became a 2nd Erkin von Blunt ;D
Hey, great - can you drink with him?

I was surprised to find out that Erkin was actually one of Thaler's spies! I was all like "whoa... so you're a spy who pretended to be a knight who took a vow of silence? whoa...."

Berengar stays cold-stone sober, actually he is in the mood to do nothing and silent... at least I expect him to say sth like "Hey buddy cool fight, this sod is past... cya" ;D

Anumet said:
Then that's my favourite Witcher bug! I told that lady of the lake that I make my own destiny - and so I have - even if beating destiny required other tools than I'd foreseen! ;D
Hahahahahahaha , dan straight

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
That's interesting. I saw a post just a couple of days ago (here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=13343.0) where someone had kept Berengar alive, and people were asking what he said afterwards. The answer was...nothing. That person didn't get a cutscene.
Same here... I wasn't trying necessarily.. but I laid a smack down on Azar Javed so hard that Berengar lived... I tried talking to him afterwards and he just gave some stupid one line response... no options to converse with him, drink, no cutscense.... whatevers ::)

Uuups, Berengar got always killed... until Azar fell off the cliff, but I must confess, that was exactly, what I had planned him to do, when I started fighting him the first time, it took about 18 tries to get him down there... and you tell me it wasn't intended to happen? *uncredulous frown*What do you do, if you face a strong opponent on a cliff? My first natural idea was: 'Shove that bastard over the edge!'True, there was no useful farewell between me and Berengar, he didn't even thank me for saving his life. I got frustrated and just left him standing there...

yep... it's a bit unsatisfying because you expect more when finally Berengar survived.I get the impression the devs forgot to finish the sequence there

Just another datapoint from someone else who threw Azar Javed over the edge during the fight, I did run around the room for awhile. His body never showed up for me. I ended up reloading from a prevous save and fighting him again to get the mutagen recipe.

I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to keep Berengar from getting one-shotted on hard mode, no thanks to my laggy computer. I finally succeeded in keeping Berengar alive the same way the OP did, and disappointingly, there's no real change to the plot. The fall off the moat bug is pretty funny tho :DSomething similar happened to me with the kikimore queen when the cave collapsed before she got to the edge of the debris, so I couldn't loot her. I just reloaded after trying it a zillion times and.Oh, did you try casting igni to where Azar fell? I remember there was this one time a Knight of the Order got stuck behind the exit door to the hospital that prevented me from talking to Shani. I shot a few ignis through the exit door and killed him without initiating the combat thing, so maybe that'll work? Don't remember if I was able to loot him, though.

Guest 2081505

Sunshyn said:
Just another datapoint from someone else who threw Azar Javed over the edge during the fight, I did run around the room for awhile. His body never showed up for me. I ended up reloading from a prevous save and fighting him again to get the mutagen recipe.
Reload not necessary ;D. Seek Javeds body with the "Alt"-key and klick! Geralt runs up the stairs and will grab the loot - seems that he has extremely long arms if needed (he's a witcher!).

Never had this body landing in the water bug, but i easily kept Berengar alive on my last play through.No bugs required, just downed a Blizzard and let Javed know what was what with some of this...
Here's the aftermath of the fight...
And what Berengar says when i talk to him...

Top Bottom