[Act V] Combat problems w/ group stance

+
[Act V] Combat problems w/ group stance

my first post here. i'm in dire straights.i am in chapter 5 now, and i've never experienced the problem i'm having now. when i fight humans, my steel group stance gets totally ruined. i can't tell if it's getting parried, but i swing once and nothing happens. every 10 times or so my combo is allowed to complete, but at that point i've been beaten up badly. i'm struggling to make it far at all, and it seems weird that i'm encountering this now. i'm using the same blue meteorite sword that i've been using for a bit.so, have i leveled up poorly? my strength and dex are quite high, with all my sword stances in level 3. is there something i'm missing? i've even tried using the pot that makes my attacks tougher to dodge and parry, and it didn't help at all.thanks for anything you guys can give me.

Later creatures tend to have higher armor/dodge/parry values so its more difficult to hit them. If you miss only one of the people with group style, the entire style is interrupted. Note group style generally has a lower chance of hitting than strong/fast styles already.So to increase your chances of hitting you want to get the talents that increase attack% and add temporary runes to the blade which improve attack%. You will still miss once in a while, but you can just immediately click again (don't have to wait). You can alternatively just use strong/fast or igni to fix the "problem".

Also, I've heard that your chance of hitting with a group style swing depends how easy it is to hit the creature you're aiming at. So if you're facing three drowned dead and one drowner, you aim at the drowner; if you're facing a couple of low-level minions and their boss, you aim at a minion.

i appreciate the input, and i welcome anyone else who has any ideas.it just stinks because i'm already stuck in the level i'm in, so i'll have a hard time leveling up. i'll do my best.

I've found this to be the case with the knights until you can leave Vizima and get into the swamp. I've found the way around it is to just ignore the fact there's a group of them and use strong style. Kill the guy in front, when he's dead, jump forward by double tapping the forward key to avoid any more hits from the others around, turn and repeat. You'll find that because they're really slow compared to you, they won't hit you much anyway (if you've trained your stats a bit) and you'll get by much better this way. It is a bit odd not to be able to use group style, but I guess the whole thing about the game is to use what's best for the situation at hand. And apparently in this case, group style isn't it.

I've just entered chapter 5 and am having the same problem. I love the group style and it looks like I can't use it anymore. I hate the strong style but looks like I need it.

STGhost said:
Note group style generally has a lower chance of hitting than strong/fast styles already.
group style has 1.4 x attack mod multiplierstrong style 1x .....fast style 2 x .....group style has higher chance to hit enemies then strong style.

I couldn't use Group Steel on Order soldiers in Act V (or end of Act IV, for that matter) either. Goes to show that Group Steel is useless on higher levels, unless your total attack is greater than their parry bonuses.

I reloaded an earlier save and was playing through some parts of Old Vizima last night, coincidentally :) I remember one night replaying this area, I just could not land a blow on those fellows with two swords (Commando Leaders, or something like that). No matter which style, I couldn't buy a successful hit! :D The next time I zoned into the area, though, everything was back to normal. Maybe Geralt was just having an off day when I got to him :)The human fights are tough. You need to be really flexible in your approach and try something else if your tactic stops working. It may seem counter-intuitive to use an individual style when you're surrounded but sometimes it can be more of an advantage to thin the ranks by concentrating on one person... especially if some of the rest of the group are on fire and therefore distracted :evil: No need to be polite - be cunning! Firing off Axii, even at a low level, when surrounded is one way to create some breathing space. I also like using Igni to knock 'em back, but there's also a chance you'll set some of your attackers on fire, which distracts them from attacking you for a whilst allowing you to finish off whoever is not on fire and thin the herd :)
Corylea said:
Also, I've heard that your chance of hitting with a group style swing depends how easy it is to hit the creature you're aiming at.

lovelypsycho said:
Also, keep mobile. Don't try to plant your feet and swing until everything's dead - be flexible in your attack approach, keep moving and try not to let yourself get surrounded.
If I understood the OP this appears to be the most appropriate thing. :peace:

I very much agree with that. It helps you get back into the fight and it gives you some time to regain some vitality if you are fighting without a Swallow potion.

HoKyung said:
I've found this to be the case with the knights until you can leave Vizima and get into the swamp. I've found the way around it is to just ignore the fact there's a group of them and use strong style. Kill the guy in front, when he's dead, jump forward by double tapping the forward key to avoid any more hits from the others around, turn and repeat. You'll find that because they're really slow compared to you, they won't hit you much anyway (if you've trained your stats a bit) and you'll get by much better this way. It is a bit odd not to be able to use group style, but I guess the whole thing about the game is to use what's best for the situation at hand. And apparently in this case, group style isn't it.
Had the same problem and did same as HoKyung works well enough. It's only with the knight soldiers--most likely due to their high armor rating and the fact that so many of em (very skilled with a sword) are attacking at once and disrupting your attack sequence. The armored dogs can give the same issue when facing off Javed.

Top Bottom