Actions mean more than words

+
Could you possibly list some of these games?

Sure. RDR2, GTAV (and if i'm being perfectly honest, you could include the original Xbox 360 release), Fallout 76 (I know many won't like this, but the fact is it is a large, complex, multiplayer game that has graphics that are far better than I'm getting from CP2077 at the moment and, while performance could be better, it does on the whole run well), any number of Ubisoft open world titles (like them or not, the graphics look good and they have no more or less "immersive" open worlds than was actually delivered here), and there are likely many more, but I can only speak from experience. Also, please don't isolate and respond to my comment about downgrades to make it look like I am unaware of how it works, I had already made that clear.

This, seriously. The gameplay trailer released last month hinted at ways of spending money in activities, and showed the montage with you dancing with Jackie, drinking etc...

That montage (dancing with Jackie) is in the game. As a cinematic. It immediately follows the prologue. Its got nothing to do with "activities".

I always knew the game would release with bugs, to claim otherwise was foolish. What I had an issue with was their hypocrisy and "we are better than others" attitude.

"Release when its ready" carries little meaning if there is no chance for the game to ever be "ready".

No?

I have been playing PC Rpgs since the early 1990s and if there is one thing that is and continues to be a constant in the genre is that they are buggy, ALWAYS. There is a lot of systems interacting and that means weird stuff is going to happen. Witcher 1 was a mess, Witcher 2 was better but still a bit jank at launch, and let us not forget the memes that were Witcher 3 and all of its bugs at launch. No Elder Scrolls game has ever launched in a non buggy state. Every infinity engine game needed some patching early on, Fallout 1 was damn near unplayable at launch, Fallout New Vegas took a week for me to even get running on my PC at the time due to a crippling memory leak.

So no, I do not remember a time when games of this type had little to no bugs. That time never existed.
I gotta say that ignoring the fact that the only reason people find the Elderscrolls and fallout series games acceptable is because they literally gave us the keys to the kingdom to change and add whatever we wanted is the only reason those games are well received and if they were not moddable all of those games would have very poor review scores.

Like I already pointed out earlier, there is a significant difference even between last gen base and pro versions when it comes to RDR2, the base build suffers from texture pop in and wildly fluctuating framerates too. This game also has a completely different style of map, population density and verticality compared to Cyberpunk, so a straight comparison is also pretty hard to make. I would personally compare RDR2 to Witcher 3, since both of those game have vast areas of wilderness without any population beside enemy mobs, villages and tailored setpiece areas with only a few large cities. Cyberpunk is a extremely dense urban area with a lot of verticality and a lot more population. I have personally not encountered any interiors yet that are copied from somewhere else, where RDR2 and Witcher 3 both had multiple recycled assets throughout the game. I am not saying there are none in Cyberpunk, just that I have not encountered any during my 43 hours of playtime yet.

GTAV (and if i'm being perfectly honest, you could include the original Xbox 360 release)

Ok, let's do just that then. GTAV was indeed originally developed for PS3/X360 so it is no wonder it runs relatively smoothly on PS4/XBONE. However, Rockstar games ended their support for PS3/X360 versions of the game less than a year after releasing their "next gen upgrade" for PS4 and XBONE. At that time Rockstar stated and I quote:

As we mentioned previously, we always knew there might be a point where we would reach the technical capacity of what the older generation of consoles can handle as each downloadable update requires additional memory both for assets and for additional scripting,” said Rockstar Games.

We have continued to optimize the entire game over time in order to squeeze as much memory as we possibly could out of the last-generation hardware and at some point, continuing to add content for those systems could cause the risk of instability to the game overall.

This is the exact situation where CDPR is today with Cyberpunk, which was brought up in my original post as well. As for the complexity of Los Santos, it's really not that much more complex than Cyberpunk. It is a undeniable fact that the AI systems can run laps around Cyberpunk (just like any game released after 2002 does...) but you cant enter much of the buildings in Los Santos either, and the bespoke ones you can enter happen through a loading screen. There are gun shops, liquor and convenience stores you can enter straight from the game world but these are not unique locations, they are copied and pasted.

Fallout 76 (I know many won't like this, but the fact is it is a large, complex, multiplayer game that has graphics that are far better than I'm getting from CP2077 at the moment and, while performance could be better, it does on the whole run well)

Fallout 76 is running on a game engine that has existed in some way or form since 1997, so it is obvious it can run relatively well even on a pocket calculator. You are also now comparing Fallout 76 that has received tons of post launch updates and optimizations for over a year to a game that was released 4 days ago. If we want to be fair we should either compare a 4 day old public build of Fallout 76 to Cyberpunk, or return to this particular comparison one year from now.

any number of Ubisoft open world titles (like them or not, the graphics look good and they have no more or less "immersive" open worlds than was actually delivered here)
Ubisoft games are the very definition of "1km wide, 1cm deep" which is admittedly what Night City suffers from as well. They are pretty to look at, but then again Night City is also extremely good looking if you run it from a capable PC that can present it the way the developers intended. The optimal experience is always the one with most visual fidelity.

Also, please don't isolate and respond to my comment about downgrades to make it look like I am unaware of how it works, I had already made that clear.
I quoted your entire post first, and only then replied separately to that one particular point. I was not isolating anything or trying to make you look unaware, I am perfectly sure you can do that without my help if you feel like it :)

Last edited:
I assume the OP is referring to the apologies issued today by the CDPR team.

And he's right. Bugs can be eventually fixed, performance can be improved but the game we have is not what we were sold into. Notice also that now CDPR refers to it as an 'action-adventure'? All references to RPG are being quietly removed.

-Only a few C&C (and many dialogues on rail regardless of the option). All endings are similar.
-No credible AI (just a basic placeholder; even games from 2003 like GTA San Andreas have better world AI than this and GTA ran on a 300MHZ CPU!)
-A shallow world (it's as big and flashy as empty; a nice strolling simulation, if futuristic decadent urban environments are of interest)
-Itemization (the thousands of vending machines around the city are useless, can't walk for one minute straight without finding some food/med from the street). A myriad variations of the same object (gun, garment) with minimal stat differences.
-Obtuse crafting system (can disassemble/assemble everything everywhere) with little benefit, because random weapons looted are usually much better at the same level.
-Gameplay mechanics flawed with no sense of progression and absurd perks (I can forget to increase my stats with little effect on the combat - certain stats seems to be only useful only to open some doors or pass some checks)
-Origins are useless... 10 minutes at most of interactive cutscenes and a few dialogues check
-'Side activities' so loved by a good portion of the audience, such as third person, home customization, appearance customization, pastimes (gambling, playing, etc...) are not present.

So, even if the game shipped free of bugs and optimized for last gen consoles, it would still be a far cry from what it was supposed to be. How's CDPR going to fix this?

A couple posts deleted. Personal attacks and skirmishes are not welcome. Rule #1 is kindness and respect.

Thank you, the thread was derailing fast and I was one of the reasons for it. I apologize for my now deleted, heated response that was nothing more than participating in a pissing contest.

Thank you, the thread was derailing fast and I was one of the reasons for it. I apologize for my now deleted, heated response that was nothing more than participating in a pissing contest.

I certainly didn't help and was needlessly hostile towards you, so I apologize.

Top Bottom