Activated Skills Tree

+
i also dont understand the idea behind the switching of skills. it's the first game i've seen this in and it's hard to justify it, lore wise.
but im willing to put my brain aside and just go with it.

about the skill gains and stat gains - the difficulty i would want to play on is between NORMAL and HARD - i dont want enemies to do more damage si i feel like normal would be enough for me, but i also dont want to gain health by meditating and i do want equipment to matter more and i dont want to become automatically stronger just cuz i leveled up. i hate such a leveling system.
I hope mods that change this will come out before i get to level 20 or something.... maybe this will be the kind of mod that doesnt require the red kit.

...well I don't need to whirlwind or arrow parrying against this flying monster ...
So you forget how to parry arrows? You want to make better potions so you forget how to do something else.

It would be much less mind boggling and would be not so breaking immersion if there were more slots. Give me few mutagenless slots, make them using basik skill level. So I can drop there some stupid arrow parring there and not bother seeing Geralt that forgot how to parry arrows third time in the series. It is even worst than that he sometimes forgets it then remember it again.

Gameplay wise it is probably really cool so I would love to play with the system and curse every arrow incoming, and breaking my lore as I will go more offensive.

So you forget how to parry arrows? You want to make better potions so you forget how to do something else.

It would be much less mind boggling and would be not so breaking immersion if there were more slots. Give me few mutagenless slots, make them using basik skill level. So I can drop there some stupid arrow parring there and not bother seeing Geralt that forgot how to parry arrows third time in the series. It is even worst than that he sometimes forgets it then remember it again.

Gameplay wise it is probably really cool so I would love to play with the system and curse every arrow incoming, and breaking my lore as I will go more offensive.

Again, if you think it will compromise your immersion then you can self impose and stick with whatever skills you choose for the whole game. Its doubtful any of these skills will be mandatory to progress in the game.

@ thislsmadness
This is NOT the solution
This is three faced problem.
1 Gameplay - Not switching skills could wreck this system and make it much worst. It can brake game-play as much as modding game and adding few modified slots. Vanila without switching skills may become too hard as easily as modding can modding can make it to easy even with upped difficulty level. I have stick to the system or It will become unbalanced either way. It is not like skipping ridiculous bombs upgrades. That immersion-breaker is easy to avoid.
If it will break balance in one way or another OR break immersion I rather choose modding way.
2 Immersion - Ok problem solved, but at what cost.
3 I am still RPG player -. Leveling up and having nothing to do with skill points. Really. Just waiting for unlocking another 3 slots. It is worse than removing looting from RPG. I will see this unused skill points and cry like devs putting treasure and best items just beyond players reach so he only see them and droll.

Last edited:
@ thislsmadness
This is NOT the solution
1 Gameplay - Not switching skills could wreck this system and make it much worst. It can brake game-play as much as modding game and adding few modified slots. Vanila without switching skills may become too hard as easily as modding can modding can make it to easy even with upped difficulty level. I have stick to the system or It will become unbalanced either way. It is not like skipping ridiculous bombs upgrades. That immersion-breaker is easy to avoid.
If it will break balance in one way or another OR break immersion I rather choose modding way.
3 I am still RPG player -. Leveling up and having nothing to do with skill points. Really. Just waiting for unlocking another 3 slots. It is worse than removing looting from RPG. I will see this unused skill points and cry like devs putting treasure and best items just beyond players reach so he only see them and droll.

As I've said earlier in the thread, maybe thinking about it this way would help:

The way I was thinking about it was something more along the lines of geralt manipulating his mutant genetics using particular potions etc. essentially, he doesn't forget HOW to parry arrows, he simply loses the fast reflexes mutation in favour of something else, manipulating his limits and capabilities for particular fights through alchemy

also have a look at this post by Bellator regarding the issue:

Yes, this is true regarding all skills. Some things you learn for life, but if you don't entertain them you lose proficiency and fluency. I know how to run, but if I don't do it for a while I won't excel at it or win any medals until I've trained. Conditioning.

Also, I could speak German once. I still can, but not as well as I used to, because I've not entertained this skill.

Even Geralt says in The Last Wish that he must always train. Then again he is a mutant and I'm quite sure the learning curve isn't as steep for him. :happy:

Personally that's enough for my immersion, and actually makes me feel alchemy (rp wise at least) has an even more crucial role in preparing for a fight - beyond simply attaching the weapon oil of dragon-killing to your sword and moving on...

But if you still feel your immersion is broken by it, mods will doubtless spring up allowing you to use as few or as many skills as you so desire. difficulty wise, the most I can advise is either use restraint with this access to everything, or find a mod that increases difficulty. Or both...

The lore is not an excuse that should compromise game design and the balancing of the game systems. It can and should be bent when needed.

The game has rules and you must make choices alongside those rules. Just because you don't feel like something is good, it doesn't make it bad, it just means that you don't like it.
After all this game is about choices, some easier than others, but you decide in what direction to develop the character and it's good that you can't unlock all skills and equip all of them. You decide on a play style and choose the skills accordingly or tweak them before a specific encounter when on a hunt.

I like it, because it would make you evaluate them and decide on which are more important to you. The arrow parry is not the most important thing to me, it might be to you, so you use it, but at the cost of some other skill, so you much decide which matters more to you.
It would be boring if everything could be equipped and it would be very hard to balance.

Like I said I will play vanilla first then with Red kit will hit. I mod it for my satisfaction only.
Rules are meant to be bent, stepped over and broken if you can get away with it.

That being said I do believe that the system fun/gameplay wise will be really good. It can be objectively good and fun design. I will never just fully like it, will have small little and subtle hate chamber deep in my heart.
First story&vanila, full fucking around in open & editing the game latter

PS: And still it mechanis that I want to mod will still wont allow you use even 1/3 of skills

Last edited:
@ thislsmadness
This is NOT the solution
Inquisition's compromise was letting the extra effects of the skills apply even when they're not slotted. And you can also spend points on passive abilities, that don't need to be slotted.

It seems to me that what you fear on TW3 will only happen very late in the game, unless unlocking more slots prove to be difficult. I really think it shouldn't be.

Yes it can be cool gameplay-wise (we'll see), but lore- and immersion-wise it feels really... gamey. The best way to psychologically is probably to see it as a combat stance, but it would work better if you could change it mid-fight.

Does anyone understand how adrenaline points work? When you look at the UI there seems to only be 3 (or 4?) actual points, where as the skill descriptions detail increasing the AP through %. So, is there an invisible adrenaline bar and these points simply reflect, I guess, "milestones" on this bar? Or does reaching 100% fill up one point?

Furthermore, this begs the question of how effective some of the skills are, like the + instant kill chance on adrenaline points. I mean.. if at best you only have 3-4 adrenaline points, that's a pretty low chance no?

Upto 8% per hit... from a single skill... could be fairly helpful. It should on average halve the duration of a fight based on footage so far... maybe even more impact... the more 'under-levelled' you are the more helpful it would be.

Upto 8% per hit... from a single skill... could be fairly helpful. It should on average halve the duration of a fight based on footage so far... maybe even more impact... the more 'under-levelled' you are the more helpful it would be.

I think I'm missing something... the deadly precision skills grants +1% for each AP. If we have, say, 4 AP points, that's 4% extra no? Unless there's another skill I'm not aware of?

What are these 1% and 2%? Is it about the generation of adrenaline, or the effect of the adrenaline attacks?

Its the chance you gain for an instant kill per Adrenaline point you have active. So if you have 3 Adrenaline points, 1 point in that skill gives you a 3% chance per hit to instantly kill an enemy. If you have two points in the skill you'd have a 6% chance. If that is calculated on every attack you do thats a pretty generous percentage and I have to imagine it won't work on very powerful enemies.

Thanks. It was neither of my guesses :p I am familiar with similar mechanics.

Do you know if there is a standard percentage for this? This 6% might or might not be much, depending on the standard percentage and other forms of enhancing the percentage.

crushing blow, strenght training, rend scale together??

do they scale together? Rend is a strong attack however its alternate attack. does the bonuses from crushing blow and strenght training apply to it?
same question stands for the ability " whirl " does the "% fast attack, crit% fast attack " apply to it?

Skill slot system

I really hope the devs can increase the slots by a considerable amount as atm it is just plain frustration, by far the worst skill system of the entire series and one that actually ruins this game for me.

If not devs i hope some one can mod additional slots cause frankly having dead weight and 10 unspent points sitting with me for last 10 levels is now started to become annoying massively so.

Last edited:
I hope there's a mod that activates all skills you've put points into, regardless of them being slotted or not. Keep the slots for the purposes of mutagens only, basically.

Top Bottom