Actually crafting caused that Gwent is broken

+
Actually crafting caused that Gwent is broken

From the very beginning CDPR should not let players craft cards. Milling cards should give ore so you can buy kegs. That way there will never be netdeckers like we got now. Every1, absolutly every1 in ranked at lvl 50+ play retarded same decks. It's only beacuse any monkey is capable of repeating what he saw on strim or gwentdb.
If players needed to form decks of cards they got from kegs Gwent will be much better experience.
Oh and of course after long time you could get many cards (around level 70-90) but still not full collection i think witch could be good.
Still its too late for such change but damn, that way should be from start

No, it shouldn't.
Netdecking is the bread of all card games. I don't like it, I don't do it, but it's the way preferred by most players.
At least, with this system, people can play the decks they want to play. Netdeckers can, and not netdeckers too. I know it is frustrating to encounter the same decks again and again, but the "fault" is in the players.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Kingoko;n9805151 said:
From the very beginning CDPR should not let players craft cards.

You are trying to solve a "problem" that can't be solved by creating an even bigger problem that doesn't even fix things in the long run. If you want to destroy Gwent, then that's certainly the way to do it.

:facepalm:

What if you could craft or trade with troll 1 gold card and 3 silver cards per month? Or you can craft but in ranked you can use only kards from kegs? Anything just to not play against same decks every meta, every season

Kingoko;n9805151 said:
From the very beginning CDPR should not let players craft cards.

Absolutely not! Removing the ability to craft cards would undoubtedly cause a large percentage of players to leave the game for good, which would not be a good thing. Imagine you're a new player, just starting out. Would you like having to get all your cards from kegs, thus relying on RNG to get (good) Silvers and Golds, and even Bronzes? I know I certainly wouldn't.

Crafting wanted cards and milling unwanted cards are two of the key things about Gwent, there is no denying that. Not to mention the free to play aspect that the game currently has would be severely diminished if crafting cards was no longer a thing. At that point Gwent would truly be a pay to win, as it's sometimes already claimed to be.

Lastly: netdeckers are not the only ones who craft cards. It would be a terrible decision to remove a huge mechanic just because of netdeckers - who aren't even doing anything wrong in the first place.
But that's not the topic of this thread, so I'll leave it at that.

TL;DR: ALL players' ability to craft cards is essential for the game's survival, in my opinion. It should not, under any circumstances, be removed or even limited.

I think shutting down the internet would solve the "problem" of netdecking. As far as this suggestion goes it is a great idea. If you want to turn gwent into a rng pay to win game that is.

On a more serious note, ranked does become a seriously repetitive grind higher up, but potential solutions to that should be seeked with changing the way ranked plays(i.e. like proL) or by adding more game modes not by killing the core game concepts.

My idea: every week restrict top played cards from ranked mode.
Would push players to improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Played 11 games yesterday, played against all factions, 2x Francescas, 2x Broovers, Foltest, Unseen, Eredin, Eithne, Bran, Crach and Emhyr, at 3400 MMR so it's not like it was low ranks. That is pretty diverse, not to mention players running Fr and Br played differently with different cards even though it's roughly the same archetype.

Netdecking and lack of deck diversity is not the same problem, if game is balanced enough all factions will have at least one powerful archetype, deckbuilders will see it and netdeckers will than netdeck according to their card poll and personal preference so we won't be having another Dagon/Bran meta like we always end up having. If game is balanced, netdecking doesn't really impact deck diversity very mich

Now I will write something controversial as I think netdecking can't be bad for the game. Netdecking can't make you a good player, I mean you could watch steamer and learn about every interaction and counterplay imaginable, but no one would do that. Deck building is hard and too much trial and error when you are starting out, imagine being bad player and bad deckbuilder, you might as well quit the game since you won't be winning much.

Most players use netdecking to familiarize with archetypes and interactions. I for one don't really watch streamers but I do stop by GwentDB to check out new popular decks. When I see them in action I make adjucements as meta evolves. I did get to 3k this season with my own deck I made from scratch and I do like to play some less competetive decks like Ciri Dash variants I build myself, but I would get bored playing only that.

Another reason I make adjustments to the decks is the major reason no one should complain against netdecks, the fact that if you opponent netdecked (especially if he leaves all the same), you know his entire deck, so you know exactly what to expect and how to counter it, so it gives you enormous edge over the opponent if you bother to remember the top 6 decks at GwentDB, bad players with netdecks will be favorite matchup for you after that

Another thing I take issue with is referring to all players who netdeck as some sort of robots who only care about winning and don't know the meaning of fun. Believe it or not, people have fun even when they play netdecks, as best decks in the meta are often interesting, interactive decks with high skill floor, so they are fun and rewarding to play.

As for the crafting abolition I believe it is plain wrong, crafting is integral to new and f2p players who now have a way to build good collection early on. Banishing scraps and making ore only currency would be kinda interesting, because you could than open bunch of kegs and gambling is fun, but only if you could use ore to craft cards as well.

Hmm prob you right guys, removing crafting will be not healthy for game as well and cause other problems.
In that case we need some other modes.

knowsGerald;n9807241 said:

I like this idea, though many may not like it. :cheers:

Kingoko;n9805151 said:
From the very beginning CDPR should not let players craft cards. Milling cards should give ore so you can buy kegs. That way there will never be netdeckers like we got now. Every1, absolutly every1 in ranked at lvl 50+ play retarded same decks. It's only beacuse any monkey is capable of repeating what he saw on strim or gwentdb. If players needed to form decks of cards they got from kegs Gwent will be much better experience. Oh and of course after long time you could get many cards (around level 70-90) but still not full collection i think witch could be good. Still its too late for such change but damn, that way should be from start

You don't watch it from their angle. They are a profit aiming company and they need as fast as possible to reach an inflow of cash as steady as possible.

Take a classic scenario . One learns about Gwent, decides to play. Say at first he/she doesn't look for streamers or Gwent DB. After some games played with basic cards he/she will most probably start to seek for information and decides that a solid (net)deck is being needed. To speed up the process he/she can even start spending some money (becoming thus an interesting person for CDRP). Now consider that the person cannot craft cards for one of those netdecks and the game is totally fair in respect of RNG. He/she will most probably have a bad WR for a period, depending on playing time and his own learning curve.

Now, given the almost generalized lack of patience, esp. among youngsters which is the risk (for CDRP) that the respective person will leave the game in an early stage of his learning curve? Do they afford to lose a paying player? Answer is obvious.

So instead of a real clash of skills (gaming tactics and strategies, deck making) CDRP chose to promote net-decking, chose to give every newcomer the opportunity thru crafting to build more and more good deck by either spending time in the game (keeping alive the critical mass) either by buying packs and chose to rig the game to insure a "fair" WR rate esp. for money donor newcomers. Random in the world of multiplayer f2ps means in fact game control. I've never noticed a so called f2p game with a different approach (except Eve Online, which excluded from the start the random factor for the major part of the gameplay...so nothing to rig).

To make money while pleasing all types of players and convincing a larger number to spend in order to have access to real fun (fair fun I mean) is doable...but for this CDRP really needs a brilliant management team for Gwent. And, sadly, they miss this...at least in this open beta stage.

PS: To avoid miss-understandings for some of my readers: not brilliant does not equal not intelligent. Check Oxford Dictionary if you don't believe me.

knowsGerald;n9807241 said:

That would be indeed a good idea for game play. Not that good for their cash inflow I suppose - not that many whom would like to think of a new deck every week.

Last edited:
I agree netdecks are like stale bread - unappealing but inevitable. Not being able to craft cards isn't a solution though - I believe all that would do is remove a large part of the appeal for any card game that uses randomised rewards like kegs - the reassurance that even if you don't get what you're looking for, you know you can craft it after X kegs.

Card crafting is a must. Other methods to combat net decking is already what they're doing, rebalancing. Do it 1-2 times per season to keep it fresh.

Not crafting means pushing people to buy kegs which is not wanted by anyone unless you are a money greedy company and we all know CDPR is not.

Netdecks, copycats, using same builds, using same items etc are inevitable for pretty much any game you can imagine. If one thing works good, others will copy it. There are mediocre players like me even though I have full collection, lvl 80 and can't break 4.1k MMR personal barrier and get to Rank 20. I DO like experimenting a lot and trying very different possibilities. Apparently it only works %50 of the time :D

Game is not about what you got it's about how you play with what you got.

I remember Burza saying (or writing) that netdecking is something inevitable, and CDPR is not going to do anything to discourage/fight it.
They will strive to achieve card balance, but the rest is beyond anyone.

Like with all inevitable things, we should face it with philosophy.
No CCG game is without netdecking.

That would be the worst thing not to craft. It would be a pay to win, and it would most likely force net decking more! But draft will be a good fix if your board of net deck. And so far the game has been pretty diverse.

Top Bottom