Adam Badowski's Twitter Response (Missing Features..)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Story overall is good

imho, the Story is a bit to superficial, like most of the characters. There is nothing deep in the story, not
like Nier:Automata. But yeah, Nier was not only next Level Storytelling, it is and will be many many generations ahead of everything.

It would be so much better, if they included the "humanity" aspect in the game. For every character and we
all have to protect each other from Cyberpsychosis. Maybe betray them, or maybe some try to betray us.

As Goodmongo stated, groundbreaking, amazing, spectacular, mindblowing... those are just marketing talk and always has been. To decide whether the game delivers is up to you, the player. Every producer markets their product as something special, that is their job. And do not forget that the hype surrounding the game emerged in June 2018, before they even showed that demo. So players were going crazy about the idea of a cyberpunk RPG without seeing any gameplay and they called it GOTY!!!. Don't tell me CDPR hyped the game too much. They just did marketing like any other company. Who overhyped the game was the media, youtubers and the fanbase. Sooner or later players will admit this to themselves.
I know what marketing is. But the problem remains that CDPR hyped this game as a deep and groundbreaking role-playing game and it simply is not that. Clearly and evidently, the game is not that. And they knew it, and they knew it was never going to be that, but they pushed the hype and kept doing it. Over and over, all the way up to release day, they pushed that hype.

Now, I'm sure it gives you a good feeling to say that you never trusted them. That you always thought of them as just as slimy as EA and Ubi and ActiBlizz and the others. Good for you, but it does not change anything. They still lied. They still promised one thing and delivered another. They didn't just exaggerate a little bit, like most food ads, they went full "rotten mobile game" mode and hyped a different game than they were making.

And you can talk about how common that caveat emptor approach is and how we should expect it, but you can't really make a company who utilizes that strategy look the least bit sympathetic, can you?

Alot of talk about the demo itself being fake vs. not fake. The demo was just a prototype they put together to test possible game mechanics that in the end didn't make it in game. This process should have been done and completed without all the 3d models and story elements back in 2013 when this game was announced.

no, there are other things that were cut were you can still see traces in the "finished" product and that is any even bigger problem than stuff like wallrunning, because you can see what is missing while playing.

What is this sixth talent tree that you can't use? What about the perks you can aquire that belong to ablities that don't even exist in the game? What about the obviously cut story sections (Militech arc, Dex vs Evely, Netwatch vs Voodoo Boys). What about the Cyberpsycho quest and the Peralez? The unfinished romances (especially River and Kerry)?
Not to mention clearly unfinished systems like police and pedestrian AI, terrible cars, terrible crafting?

And what about the simplified game meachanics like hacking, taking hostages, etc? It was never mentioned before that they were totally dumbed down compared to the 2018/2019 gameplay.
And what about the branching story paths that were the major reason many of us were even interested in the game? Most decisions don't matter at all. What about the "handcrafted sidequests" that were promised? Where they said that repetitive, grindy jobs like the Skellige chests would not be a thing, every quest would be super special? Most quest are GIGs (go there, kill that, sabotage that - no conversation, no decisions, no impact whatsoever)...

This is on some completely different scale than just a flathead or wallrunning getting canceled...

Eh, honestly a lot of this isn't actually there.

1. There's no sign any Sixth Talent tree ever existed except in design. If it was Empathy or Humanity, there's no reason for it.

2. They altered the storyline since Evelyn and Dex don't make much sense with Dex getting killed early. That had to have been a change very early on.

3. That's bad writing not unfinished.

4. They might tweak the systems and that won't be a major change with Patches.

5. Dumbed down is a thing many games suffer for mass appeal.

6. There's multiple paths in multiple quests. Maelstrom/Militech, Judy's Quest of Maeko vs. Her, Saul vs. Panam (though no one ever sides with Saul), and encouraging Kerry's feud vs. Us Cracks or not. You can also side with the Voodoo Boys or Netwatch. Choice does exist until the final four missions.

7. All the quests do have plot. There's no Bandit camps or random monsters. Everything has a story even if it's only a shard.

2077 exposed a lot of problems in CDPR, the biggest is the management problem, CDPR must reflect on themselves, they think that storytelling is everything, in fact, if you just do a small game that may be, but to reach a 2077 level scale, many other elements than the story is more important, I heard in CDPR writer has a lot of power, the results prove that a game does not just rely on than writer, how to improve your management ability, game design ability, level design ability, technical ability, animation ability, etc. is the primary problem CDPR need to solve, rather than recruit a few more writers.

imho, the Story is a bit to superficial, like most of the characters. There is nothing deep in the story, not
like Nier:Automata. But yeah, Nier was not only next Level Storytelling, it is and will be many many generations ahead of everything.

It would be so much better, if they included the "humanity" aspect in the game. For every character and we
all have to protect each other from Cyberpsychosis. Maybe betray them, or maybe some try to betray us.
Nier:Automata is my personal game of the decade. Thats not a level that I expect from a game, because that would be just unfair. :)

I said the story is good. Not great, just good. But better than that shit in most other open world games I played in my life. Thats for sure.

We are going in circles. Yes, there are flaws, we can list the issues, whatever. But in the end you like the ride or not? Forget about the bugs. Just answer honestly.

Enjoyed it or not?
I personally did like some parts of the game, but then there were the parts where I got so depressed that I had to take multiple prolonged breaks from the game to recover.
And every time I took a break from the game it was harder to return to the game (because more and more problems became apparent and not the bugs).
So in the end I personally did not enjoy the ride!

nothing of the promises will be into the game anymore.

One, because it requires MONEY.
Two, because it requires TIME.

Three, the game has to be able to run on old gen consoles.

They cant fix the game as we expect and has been promised, they just cant now.

I agree. And again I will put much of the blame for that on old gen console compatibility. The game had to be brought to the chopping block to be able to run on ancient hardware, and now they can't add anything ambitious because then the old gens won't manage to run it. *shrug*

No.. They put it in as a legal phrase so nobody in the USA can sue them is a Pixel in the final product is misplaced.
They all do it and everybody knows why they do it.

Why do American coffee to go cups have the phrase "content could be hot" on them? So a brain dead customer who gets the mouth burned or let's the coffee get cold can't sue them for their own idiocy.
Well that perspective undercuts the argument here, considering it essentially blames the consumer - like people are right now with expectations based on how 2077 was marketed - rather than the actions of the company that were negligent. The woman - who was around eighty - got third degree full-thickness burns and had to undergo thousands of dollars in treatment, including skin grafts... and she was only the most notable out of hundreds of cases involving similar incidents throughout the years that they hadn't addressed properly. She also didn't want an exorbitant sum; they forced a court battle and brought it on themselves.

In hindsight, the way most of our consumer complaints are being characterized by the public as irrational when the majority of them clearly aren't actually says a lot.

Well that perspective undercuts the argument here, considering it essentially blames the consumer - like people are right now with expectations based on how 2077 was marketed - rather than the actions of the company that were negligent. The woman - who was around eighty - got third degree full-thickness burns and had to undergo thousands of dollars in treatment, including skin grafts... and she was only the most notable out of hundreds of cases involving similar incidents throughout the years that they hadn't addressed properly. She also didn't want an exorbitant sum; they forced a court battle and brought it on themselves.

In hindsight, the way most of our consumer complaints are being characterized by the public as irrational when the majority of them clearly aren't actually says a lot.
Well. Coffee is hot.

That's the reason we drink it.

Such a case would not have been possible in other parts of the world.
First, people would say "yeah coffee is hot." and second, universal health insurance would have taken care of the problems.

There's something fundamentally wrong in the development process of this game that goes beyond having 'rebooted' its development more than once, or the unbalanced mechanics and the unacceptable performance/bugs in the console version.

Yesterday I was looking at the ingame water and I was thinking... How's possible than CDPR has not even been able to deliver a game which is on the same level, technically wise, with the others games on the market?

Cyberpunk 2077's water is just a flat polygon covered by a simple 'reflection on a liquid surface' shader. Throw something and it will just clip through without even a sprite simulating the ripples. I know it sounds a minor detail among all the problems pointed out in this and other threads, but it's a tell tale sign of a big disaster going on behind the scenes.

CDPR had 5 years to create this game (let's be nice and not count the development efforts spent before Witcher 3 was finished): they started with about a hundred developers and they only grew in size and resources. Five Years. And yet they cannot add something so trivial as animated water effect.

What was the last time we saw such static water? Even in Morrowind (2002) with a DX8 card the water was animated (waddling in water left a wake). While the controversial game mechanics, unbalanced system and other unsatisfying aspects can be a direct consequence of late and 'unfortunate' design decisions, there's no excuse to how 'primitive' the game feels in regards to many aspects that nowadays are considered a given even in games coming from a minor studios. Let's assume the rumors that they rebooted the game and altered the original plan late in development are true (and this can be 'an excuse' for certain aspects that feel rushed or unfinished): what were the programmers doing meanwhile? Hundreds of people in the studio and not a single one that thought adding splashes when bullets are fired at water, or a 'splash' sound when a body falls in it?

(BTW, The Witcher 3 had water effects too)

Well. Coffee is hot.

That's the reason we drink it.

Such a case would not have been possible in other parts of the world.
First, people would say "yeah coffee is hot." and second, universal health insurance would have taken care of the problems.
The coffee we drink isn't nearly 180 degrees fahrenheit on average, is the point. They refused to adjust their policies then, and got a verdict they rightfully deserved to be thrown at them. Now when people get burned by coffee they serve, it isn't hot enough to permanently scar and hospitalize you.

(EDIT: Added a reply)
There's something fundamentally wrong in the development process of this game that goes beyond having 'rebooted' its development more than once, or the unbalanced mechanics and the unacceptable performance/bugs in the console version.

Yesterday I was looking at the ingame water and I was thinking... How's possible than CDPR has not even been able to deliver a game which is on the same level, technically wise, with the others games on the market?

Cyberpunk 2077's water is just a flat polygon covered by a simple 'reflection on a liquid surface' shader. Throw something and it will just clip through without even a sprite simulating the ripples. I know it sounds a minor detail among all the problems pointed out in this and other threads, but it's a tell tale sign of a big disaster going on behind the scenes.

CDPR had 5 years to create this game (let's be nice and not count the development efforts spent before Witcher 3 was finished): they started with about a hundred developers and they only grew in size and resources. Five Years. And yet they cannot add something so trivial as animated water effect.

What was the last time we saw such static water? Even in Morrowind (2002) with a DX8 card the water was animated (waddling in water left a wake). While the controversial game mechanics, unbalanced system and other unsatisfying aspects can be a direct consequence of late and 'unfortunate' design decisions, there's no excuse to how 'primitive' the game feels in regards to many aspects that nowadays are considered a given even in games coming from a minor studios. Let's assume the rumors that they rebooted the game and altered the original plan late in development are true (and this can be 'an excuse' for certain aspects that feel rushed or unfinished): what were the programmers doing meanwhile? Hundreds of people in the studio and not a single one that thought adding splashes when bullets are fired at water, or a 'splash' sound when a body falls in it?

I definitely think we could use more underwater areas as well to occasionally explore in the game
like we did in Judy's questline

Last edited:
What does that have to do with being a hardcore gamer?

You know whats actually sad? Its exactly this way of thinking (your thinking) that is ruining the gaming scene. We are actually going backwards instead of forward.
We expect games to get better and not get worse over time..
Exactly my thought as a casual gamer.

During the quite good first act, I wanted to take a walk to take in the scenery.
I checked the keyboard mappings, if there is anything besides running and sprinting. Nope. Are you kidding me? Discarding third person view for Immersion reasons and NOT implementing walking speed?

Then the first time you wade into water. What is this? Around about 2005 I began to expect water animations/physics in games!

And these moments continue throughout the game!

How anyone can consider this product anything above 5/10 in 2020 is beyond me.
The story may have its moments, the scenery may be "painted brilliantly". But it lacks so many things, which should be taken for granted.
P.S.: See, I did not even have to invoke AI or GTA ;)

Exactly my thought as a casual gamer.

During the quite good first act, I wanted to take a walk to take in the scenery.
I checked the keyboard mappings, if there is anything besides running and sprinting. Nope. Are you kidding me? Discarding third person view for Immersion reasons and NOT implementing walking speed?

Then the first time you wade into water. What is this? Around about 2005 I began to expect water animations/physics in games!

And these moments continue throughout the game!

The story may have its moments, the scenery may be "painted brilliantly". But it lacks so many things, which should be taken for granted.
P.S.: See, I did not even have to invoke AI or GTA ;)
Woooot?
You can't walk on PC?
That's a bit shit. On console, we can at least walk but in return, shooting while sliding results in knotted fingers, because the stick you aim with and the duck-button (B in Xbox) are both operated with the same hand.

How anyone can vote it that low is beyond me as well as the majority of other rants I see.

That's why its call a subjective opinion.

two people stare at picture one may like one may think its garbage . Same thing with this game.

Very much this. People are all the time standing behind the devs, but I cannot fathom decisions they have made that just don't make any sense for a game of this scope. It is water, nonexistent car animation door openings, plethora of missing sounds for myriad of actions, incredibly stupid decisions gameplay-wise. I just don't believe that firstly managers had any word in such basic things and secondly I have no idea how could that flew under the leads' radar. This game has its up moments, but it feels exactly as you said super amateurish. Lately I played rimworld a game that is made by one person and it is incredibly more deeper than cyberpunk. How come is that I have no idea.

How anyone can vote it that low is beyond me as well as the majority of other rants I see.

That's why its call a subjective opinion.

two people stare at picture one may like one may think its garbage . Same thing with this game.
In fact, the 10/10 some people here are posting are as subjective.

I dare say that they are a lot less reflected though

people stare at picture one may like one may think its garbage . Same thing with this game.
I really enjoy Dashiell Hammet's novels and rate them as very fine and even top criminal novels, nonetheless they rate 6/10 or 7/10 compared to a 10/10 master piece from Dostojewski.

But something akin to the missing water physics you will never encounter in a novel from Chandler or Hammet.

Last edited:
I stayed away from spoilers, trailers and announcements. Sure, I could not avoid some like the Mantis Blade trailer or the 'you are breathtaking' event but everything else was off my radar. So I consider myself lucky given the forced 'blindness' approach I employed.

My journey to click play and enter night city had a few stops along the way. I started my first full TW3 gameplay in May 2020. I finished the game in June and then decided to play another RPG. Went to Dragon Age : Origins (5th time) until Horizon Came out for PC (never played this). At the end of September I started Nier: Automata. This wasn't my normal experience and I loved it. By November I was debating on starting a new game so I started Tomb Raider. Spent a few hours given than Nier is a hard act to follow I gave up.

The magic day arrived and I pre-loaded Cyberpunk 2077. Remember, I had Witcher 3 expectations and that was it. The first nag I had was the AVX issue. My Xeon 5650x Kept crashing in the Corpo office. So I ran it on my Razer Blade 2019 Advanced and 125 hours later the game crashed once. Visual bugs that weren't there in early patches started to show up later. They were funny but not game breaking.

I pre-ordered on GoG to make sure CDPR gets all the funding. All my friends got the steam version. Because I support devs who work hard I even purchased a CE on Amazon. I waited 18 months for this to be delivered. So I have multiple copies of the game and I feel the same disappointment I had with Andromeda.

CP2077 lacks substance and depth in most areas. The game does not have too many memorable moments outside of the main quest and it often feels that things were pasted together without communication. Some of the reactions you get from NPCs does not match the interaction you had a long the way. I played female corpo and in the suicide ending, Panam's message was meant for Vincent and not Valerie. It was completely disconnected from how I played the game. Judy on the other was perfect in all endings given that I played a female.

The go here kill these get backpack for 20 hours was not entertaining. I enjoyed the game even though the devs could not make up their mind if this is V's story of Johnny's. The game's shortcomings are a direct result of a bigger issue. I hope they manage to fix the game somehow but it seems that by the time they do, Horizon Forbidden West will be the new kid on the block. Quite ironic to see CDPR being slapped by other Devs when they are usually the ones doing the slapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom