Add Copy Protection

+
phalzyr said:
Didn't say that ;). I said the loss of sales between a game with DRM and one without DRM are 0. OF course pirating costs a loss of sale, but it is sales that you not going to get no matter what, DRM or not. All that a DRM truly does is make it so the average pleb that knows absolutely nothing about computers can't go out and copy the cd and give to their friends. Almost non-exitant number, since young kids no adays are gernerally computer savy(at least enough to download a ripper program).
Eh, sort of the same thing. We're coming from mostly the same direction. But you can't say the addition of DRM doesn't affect sales either; look at Spore for some very obvious proof that it does. Presence or lack of DRM changes how people perceive a game's value, and therefore whether they'd buy it.It is certainly true, however, that the only people it stops are the very lazy and/or the very stupid. I would agree wholeheartedly with that.
phalzyr said:
Piracy is thieving no matter how its put. Justify to yourself how it is ok to ripoff peoples work if it makes your own personal guilt go away. I am sure the people that developed The Witcher completely agree with your pathetic comments.
Digital "piracy" is not the same as traditional stealing. It's not equivalent. I thought I explained it fairly succinctly. There is no analogy to be made: it's not the same.Stealing means taking. Taking, right? As in, you have something, I steal it, then I have it, and you no longer do. That's what stealing means. Just so we're clear.Piracy (not the men in boats kind, natch) could be considered unethical in the sense that the person doing so receives something at (essentially) no cost. BUT nobody loses anything. The point of old-school stealing is that it's a one-way interaction. Zero sum. Someone gains, someone loses. Digital transfers are NOT like that. And most of society hasn't come to terms with it.If you make a piece of software, and try to sell it, good for you. If people think it's worth paying for, they will. If, under no imaginable circumstances would I ever buy it, no matter what, how is it possible to argue that I, by obtaining it by means other than through you, somehow affect you in any way? I really can't see how the second follows from the first. Most companies' public statements would claim it does, but since a lot of corporations have the ethical sense of a serial rape murderer who also enjoys curbstomping children and mixing cocktails (er, this was supposed to say c-o-c-k-t-a-i-l-s, but it got bleeped) out of abortions, I wouldn't be inclined too hard to listen to sob stories about how there'll only be one new luxury car under the christmas tree this year instead of three.. But even if it's some indie guy in a basement, what's he going to say in public? Obviously they're going to tell people to buy their crap instead of not buying it. That won't change anyone's minds, in all likelihood, but what else can you say?For what it's worth, I don't pirate very many games. Usually it's only to try stuff; demos are a lost art. But if something's not worth paying for, then if you've as much disposable income as me (well, actually I'm pretty poor, but I'm really, really cheap with everything else so I can afford a decent number of games a year), if it's not worth buying it probably isn't really worth having at all. That's irrelevant to my argument, however.And hey, if the mods didn't like the direction we're veering in, they'd shut it down just like every thread mentioning DRM on EA's fora...

An update on my last post for those with 10 minutes to spare and a broadband connection http://www.tomsgames.com/us/videos/second_take_console_piracy_on_the_rise_.html

wharekura said:
Piracy is thieving no matter how its put. Justify to yourself how it is ok to ripoff peoples work if it makes your own personal guilt go away.
I think you are very far away from reality , what guilt ? everytime a new episode of "lost" is out all local trackers are flooded with downloaders , you think they care about dev's feelings ? ( i hate "lost" BTW)I am sure that a big number of people downloading and playing games from torrents or RS would be legal buyers if developers didn't protect their software using viruses and crappy protections like starforce , securom , tages etc .Look the example of Egosoft, they released X2&X3 with starforce and after we bitch around in the forums they made a "remove starforce" tool available , X2 still sells and X3 sold enough to finance an expansion . Paradox 's EU3 expansions (only available online) only need gamersgate installer to be installed and they are selling enough to finance the release of a full package .Egosoft & Paradox are medium size European game developers , if they can afford to make their games without the shitty protections everyone can ( specially big European game developers like Ascaron and Multinationals like EA) We are all gamers and we like to buy games , put the cd in the drive and play our games with the drm this is not the case .I couldn't care less about profit loss , of course i will support my favourite game developers with my money and feedback in their forums but for this to happen they have to respect me , treating me as a pirate feels like they are crapping on me so i am gonna crap on them.

I think international law should be changed to enforce a penalty of paying the purchase price of the software being pirated at time of piracy. $200,000 is a little steep considering some pirates do so because they're poor. What are they doing with internet? You got me.Lower the fine to the purchase price as it is at time of piracy, and enforce that it goes to the company who's being pirated. That would solve a lot of problems, and law enforcement would actually enforce it because it's a lot easier to pay a tab in the hundreds than in the hundreds of thousands, and I think that's why copyright protection is so poorly enforced.To give you an idea of how rampant piracy has become, Fallout 3 yesterday had roughly 3,000 people downloading it from a torrent off of >one< torrent site. How many torrent sites are there? 3,000 people torrenting the PC version equates to $150,000, so don't tell me that piracy doesn't hurt the company. Bethesda is not a great evil and deserves to earn money for the fine product it's put out called Fallout 3. It uses minimal DRM in the form of a disc check. It does not invade your privacy or destroy your dvd drive. So tell me, why are so many people downloading this bugged game? Oh yes, it crashes randomly while the legitimate version does not.I can accept torrenting a movie or anime because frankly the profit loss is much smaller and they will never stop making movies and anime. But games? Pirates must realize that at some point the inevitable will happen as it's already started to. Epic will no longer be releasing pc versions for their games and Ubisoft is severely limiting their pc involvement. That's catastrophic for the gaming community, no matter how you feel about the games these companies create.One extra copy is a lot different than 50,000.

CymTyr said:
To give you an idea of how rampant piracy has become, Fallout 3 yesterday had roughly 3,000 people downloading it from a torrent off of >one< torrent site.
CymTyr said:
Bethesda is not a great evil and deserves to earn money for the fine product it's put out called Fallout 3. It uses minimal DRM in the form of a disc check. It does not invade your privacy or destroy your dvd drive..
That's why there are only 3.000 leechers , spore had +7.000 seeders (leechers were some tens of thousands) , i think the difference is obvious and we know why .

Alalzia said:
Alalzia said:
Bethesda is not a great evil and deserves to earn money for the fine product it's put out called Fallout 3. It uses minimal DRM in the form of a disc check. It does not invade your privacy or destroy your dvd drive..
That's why there are only 3.000 leechers , spore had +7.000 seeders (leechers were some tens of thousands) , i think the difference is obvious and we know why .
the difference is that Bethesda took an IP ( Fallout ) and then they shaped it to their liking, why did they bother anyway? why not invent their own "Tamriel in the year 3000" post-apocalyptic scenario? 'cause that is not Fallout the third, that's not an RPG, who knows if that's even a good game by itself? no one, cause there is no Demo, see, DRM sucks, but not having a Demo sucks even more :( ( oh, no SecuROM Demo for me either :p )

I think you're wrong. This game deserves it's money but putting such security measures is a waste of money in itself.In fact, if you spend more money making the game greater than it already is, even the biggedt freeloader out there will want to support it.It's the same mistake the music industry/movie industry seems to make. If you want more "money" as in support, give the people somethingof higher quality.I no longer go to the movies, and I rarely buy games either. But when I come across something as wonderful as this, i think it over.Instead I would focus my energy on alternate ways of making money. Advertising, promotions - hopefully not during the game.Endorsements and so on.The problem I see is when people get greedy, and don't give the people any of quality - then of course people don't want to pay for anything -if they get scammed out of their moneys for a half-assed regurgitated piece of ****** (which most of things are).As for software, re-used code, re-used ideas and so on.But software programmers got this right by providing full working trials etc - if you really like it and find it useful you would definitely support it.Think outside the box ;)Edit: Also after watching part of that video I question your motives - who do you work for?How about making a website like that about the decline of quality and rise of greed - when it comes to the arts and "creative" industries.I don't support greedy producers. I support unique pieces of work, that feel like their creators put their heart and soul into them.Ideas for further discussion: How does greed influence quality?What do you think about World of Warcraft and the Mmmorpg empire that is now blizzard? I supported that game only for 3 months, it's a scam for grabs in my opinion. I moved to eve online which is a greater project - innovative in both gaming ideas but also computer science ideas. As in putting 250k people on one concurrent server.

I do go to the movies although not too often and since i am a collector i have an annual budget for games , usually i am getting around 10 new games per year , now if big titles are going crap i will simply go and buy something else, even if it is "toilet tycoon" .This is what i do before buying :1.Go in gamespot or ign or any big portal and check about new releases2.Find out games that you will like to play 3.Never read any reviews in big portals , specially when it says "exclusive" 4.Go in yourtube and watch gameplay videos 5.Go in official site and read carefully all negative posts about the game , check out patch policy!6.Make sure that the game will run smoothly on your PC7.Google about the copy protection it uses 8. Make sure that the devs are not a bunch of losers like those in AscaronIf the game is passable in all the fields go and buy if not looks for something else. Just asked in Egosoft forums about the new X3 - terran conflict , it uses Tages and no DRM/installation limits - that's an instant buySI confirmed that fm2009 it will use DRM , for some reason there must be a curse over this copy protection since the Demo of the game turned out to be total crap .Adolf hates DRM too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yO913DuRwA

Alalzia said:
If the game is passable in all the fields go and buy if not looks for something else.
I do the same as you but I take the additional step of usually getting them 2nd hand from a store of from an auction site. However for great games I buy them like the witcher enhanced ed of course.
Alalzia said:
Adolf hates DRM too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yO913DuRwA
That brightened by morning :D

Alalzia said:
5.Go in official site and read carefully all negative posts about the game , check out patch policy!
I have a similar policy for movies. I go to IMDB and focus much more on negative reviews, they offer much more informations.

their are a few games out there I would like to try[glow=red,2,300] but[/glow] always a but ;) ---------- I for one is tired of being ripped off by any company that is using some kind of copy protection {or really bad made game for that matter} have lost more money that way ============= I don't steal games nor will I buy one with copy protectionwhat gets me the most about this copy protection and bad games is that it's ok for them to do it to us and we have no way to get our money backin my area you open it you own it wheather it works or not ============ they got their money and thats all they care about from the gaming company to the store ------ the bottom line theirs not ours

RedDragon1313 said:
their are a few games out there I would like to try[glow=red,2,300] but[/glow] always a but ;) ---------- I for one is tired of being ripped off by any company that is using some kind of copy protection {or really bad made game for that matter} have lost more money that way ============= I don't steal games nor will I buy one with copy protectionwhat gets me the most about this copy protection and bad games is that it's ok for them to do it to us and we have no way to get our money backin my area you open it you own it wheather it works or not ============ they got their money and thats all they care about from the gaming company to the store ------ the bottom line theirs not ours
That is the problem with the gaming industry and a part of the reason why piracy is so huge. Gaming industry is handling the issue of piracy comletely wrong.

Top Bottom