Additional Factions for Release

+

• Total voters

I was wandering what other factions people thought would be fun to play? I realize were only in the beta working on these four factions, but it's still interesting. I think the obvious choices are Nilfgaard & Toussaint because we've met enough characters from those places to fill up the decks.

Now let's talk less realistically - Maybe a vampires deck from the B&W expansion too? I also think a Lodge of Sorceresses/Council of Mages deck would be cool (the members already in other decks would get to be in both). Finally I think there are enough characters in the games to make separate Redanian and Temerian decks - but that's probably not an option anymore. Also as mentioned elsewhere, breaking up Monsters into a Monster deck and an Aen Elle deck would be cool. I'm by no means suggesting all of these are good ideas practically, but just trying to get all the options out there.

So if you did all of that that would give a total of 10 factions. Probably unrealistic as far as work-load and balancing.

- Scoia'tael
- Monsters
- Skellige
- Nilfgaard
- Toussaint
- Redania (could include Kaedwen characters since they're one Country in TW3)
- Temeria (I guess they could take Aedirn characters too ... because reasons)
- Lodge of Sorceresses
- Vampires
- Aen Elle

I think that Nilfgaard, Toussaint, Vampires and Lodge of Sorceresses are my four favorite ideas.

Nilfgaard is pretty much confirmed, it even has a graphic in the deck builder already. I would leave it at these five factions and just concetrate on balancing them out. Introducing a Lodge or Vampire or Aen Elle faction would lead to a lot of unnecessary and confusing overlap with the others and splitting up NR is something I don't see happening. Toussaint might be an option if it isn't integrated into Nilfgaard already.

Personally, I'd prefer more cards for the existing factions, but if I had to choose one (other than Nilfgaard), Toussaint seems the most realistic at this point.

My vote for Toussaint

I was thinking Witcher School(s) faction and some additional potions/decoctions + grandmaster bs/armorer and weapons/witcher sets as a silver cards

Some people think, There can be Ofir, Zerrikania and some north kingdoms, which names i forgot =)

By the way, Gwent story mode can be focus on battles with this countries, so developers can add many new characters.

we need to see what nilfgaard faction brings in terms of cards. only then we can speculate which faction to include in the game. what u need to remember is the following; when a card is dedicated to a faction it is impossible to dedicate it to another faction. that could be fixed by allowing some cards to serve under multiple factions (but then again we have something called "neutral")

FreezingSun;n6885670 said:
Personally, I'd prefer more cards for the existing factions

Agreed. The opposite problem exists - current factions don't have enough cards.

You also have to think about factions being thematically different. I don't know if Toussaint has a potential to be much different than NR and Nilfgaard and have enough cards on their own. Maybe if they are paired with the Vampires, but still it's a stretch. Splitting up the Northern Realms also doesn't make much sense, in fact they should include more northern kingdoms in that faction. Aedirn, Kovir and Poviss, Lyria and Rivia etc. Lodge of Sorceresses with Mages and Aen Elle would also be very small factions on their own. Plus Aen Elle, being frost savvy, are going along pretty well with the weather theme in Monsters.

Seems to me what they are going for in Gwent is having fewer thematically distinct factions, but also having diversity within them. I'm ok with that. Adding new factions would require adding new mechanics and flavor which would be a ton of work. I think that's one of the reasons why Nilfgaard is delayed.

I would love to see that Vampire deck! Oh, that would be my dreams come true (even if I know this is just a daydream) :) Still, it would be great. Toussaint could be cool too and that might even have some chances, I hope I hope...

Edit: Forgot Lodge Of Sorceresses! My third option was this. That could include some really dirty, mysterious and twisted abilities. Oh yes, that would be great too.

Last edited:
My vote goes to Unicorns. And also I love the mystery about Ofir and Zerrikania, these are good too.

The only split of current factions I could see is Aen Elle and Monsters. Mostly I would just prefer enough cards to do themed decks within a faction (I already have an all-Dwarf Scoia'tael deck with a few Neutrals while I try to get more Dwarves). Example: I would rather have enough Vampires to make a Vampire themed Monster deck, than split Vampires into their own faction.

FreezingSun;n6885670 said:
Nilfgaard is pretty much confirmed, it even has a graphic in the deck builder already. I would leave it at these five factions and just concetrate on balancing them out.

While i voted for Vampire.

I do agree. I hope there isn't too much factions in the end. And well balance one instead.

Top Bottom