Additional music tracks

+
I'd like to strongly suggest adding additional music tracks to the game. Granted, you need like points or something to create a topic.

The Witcher games had an amazing soundtrack and the short looping one in Gwent either makes me change my mind about playing to begin with or annoys me to the point where I stop playing.

I am a software dev, so I'm aware this might be a small issue in terms of memory or download size (for mobile version at least). But at the very least you could add free DLC (like the 4k textures) so I stop going insane while playing this game.

I'm sure you guys, as a development studio, know how important a game soundtrack is. And I can't recall the music ever changing once.

Yes, I'm aware I can turn the music off and play my own, but I'd like to keep the witcher "vibe". Just give us more than the really repetitive and few tracks we have now. It would go a LONG way to keep players engaged.

Thanks.

Yeah whole Witcher Series has amazing tracks. I also think they should Add these tracks into the game. Of course i can just mute the game and play them on my own. But i dont have to do that as a player. Developers have to consider that. Also a little bit change in the music would be better. For instance what they've done with Novigrad Track when Novigrad expansion released was just fascinating.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
There have been various music suggestion threads in the past and I everyone of those I've mentioned the same thing. If players want more music or more control over which tracks are playing, then why not use a music player in the background, which is the most flexible? Incidentally, if I had the Gwent soundtrack, I could just play my favorite tracks.

The Witcher (3) and many more games use music as a cinematic experience. Shadow of the Colossus might be the best example of this. In all these games, the music actually adds something to the game, usually to strengthen the atmosphere. That isn't the case with CCG games, which, inherently, do not profit from music. It's almost like a mandatory filler; pretty much the same way how Bejeweled or Angry Birds doesn't need music (except for a goofy main theme, maybe).

There have been various music suggestion threads in the past and I everyone of those I've mentioned the same thing. If players want more music or more control over which tracks are playing, then why not use a music player in the background, which is the most flexible? Incidentally, if I had the Gwent soundtrack, I could just play my favorite tracks.

The Witcher (3) and many more games use music as a cinematic experience. Shadow of the Colossus might be the best example of this. In all these games, the music actually adds something to the game, usually to strengthen the atmosphere. That isn't the case with CCG games, which, inherently, do not profit from music. It's almost like a mandatory filler; pretty much the same way how Bejeweled or Angry Birds doesn't need music (except for a goofy main theme, maybe).

I agree I can just play my own music.

The real reason for this suggestion is less technically inclined people simply don't do this. Or others don't bother.

Plus you cannot sync tracks to what's going on in the game.

Frankly, if this isn't implemented, fine. I'll live. However I certainly can see this as oft-putting to newer players and those less technically inclined.

That said, it's also trivial to do in terms coding, assets, size, etc... (excluding any costs of creating/licensing tracks). So really, why not? I'd love to hear a good reason (ideally from CDPR) why they wouldn't?

Some of the most iconic games are known for their soundtrack. I really don't care the genre. I cannot even count how many great games I pass on or bore of rapidly due to their soundtrack. I doubt I'm alone here.

For me, merely hearing the main menu music makes me want to start playing another game.

Do I think CDPR cares about my opinion or would implement this? Of course not. But I would argue, again, this would be a win for them. Music keeps players engaged. And nobody is going to argue the easiest and ideal way isn't for the game itself to have a good variety of tracks (which, arguably, Gwent does not).

So, oh well, I guess. It's really a suggestion to help them expand the playerbase. And also odd this even needs mentioning given their track record in this area.

But, I'm not going to rant. If it's known to be low priority or they don't think it's worth the ROI (foolish IMHO), then feel free to close this thread.

TLDR - I've put many hours into Gwent and think it's a great game. It's merely my own opinion, but I stop playing due to the soundtrack more than ANY other reason. I get sound fatigued. I know that's subjective... just my lowly two cents.

Cheers.

Last edited:
[...] but I stop playing due to the soundtrack more than ANY other reason. I get sound fatigued.

That's extreme and all the more reason to play your own music in the background to spice things up because, even if the devs implement more music, it too will become tiresome fast enough, especially in your case.

I don't understand why the music matter so much to you for a game like Gwent. I could understand it for a "cinematic" game like the Witcher 3, where the music enhances the atmosphere and the story or whatever emotions the game tries to invoke. But Gwent is none of that. It's like a soccer match. Do you play music (in the background) there? No.

However I certainly can see this as oft-putting to newer players [...]
Music keeps players engaged. [...] It's really a suggestion to help them expand the playerbase.

So, it's clear that music means a lot to you. However, you are still overestimating the impact it has on other people. Most players do not care enough. It's not off-putting to newer players, it doesn't keep them engaged and it certainly doesn't yield new players.

There is one exception to this rule. However, before I get into that, I first need to make a distinction. Music comes in two flavors: background and (for a lack of a better word) foreground music. Background music support the scenes, but, on its own, isn't memorable, usually, unless it's really epic, like the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. Gwent's soundtrack isn't memorable enough to accomplishes this.

Then you have foreground music, which tend to be more catchy and less cinematic. A main theme is usually a good example. You want to pull people in with the main theme, which is why the theme is being reused in various pieces throughout the game/movie to keep players/viewers engaged. This is the thematic experience, which is a psychological aspect and, more importantly, once again, not applicable to Gwent.

To conclude, when you listen to a piece of music for the first time without knowing the game/movie and you get the urge to find out more about it, then you know the music is good. What does "good" mean, in this case? Depends on the person. I could imagine, for example, that it's: catchy (addicting), cinematic (emotional) or unique.

That said, it's also trivial to do in terms coding, assets, size, etc... (excluding any costs of creating/licensing tracks). So really, why not? I'd love to hear a good reason (ideally from CDPR) why they wouldn't?

Because there a million other little things that also need to be implemented and while every individual thing might not take long the implement, the sum of everything could take years. And then it just comes down to priority. Balancing the game and making new expansions has a much higher priority.

However I certainly can see this as oft-putting to [...] those less technically inclined.

"those less technically inclined" What? It's a music player, not building a rocket.

Just as a sidenote to this, the Gwent music is downloadable for free on GoG from what I've seen. It's somewhere in the Gwent game options. Mp3 and Wav I think it was.

That's extreme and all the more reason to play your own music in the background to spice things up because, even if the devs implement more music, it too will become tiresome fast enough, especially in your case.

I don't understand why the music matter so much to you for a game like Gwent. I could understand it for a "cinematic" game like the Witcher 3, where the music enhances the atmosphere and the story or whatever emotions the game tries to invoke. But Gwent is none of that. It's like a soccer match. Do you play music (in the background) there? No.

So, it's clear that music means a lot to you. However, you are still overestimating the impact it has on other people. Most players do not care enough. It's not off-putting to newer players, it doesn't keep them engaged and it certainly doesn't yield new players.

There is one exception to this rule. However, before I get into that, I first need to make a distinction. Music comes in two flavors: background and (for a lack of a better word) foreground music. Background music support the scenes, but, on its own, isn't memorable, usually, unless it's really epic, like the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. Gwent's soundtrack isn't memorable enough to accomplishes this.

Then you have foreground music, which tend to be more catchy and less cinematic. A main theme is usually a good example. You want to pull people in with the main theme, which is why the theme is being reused in various pieces throughout the game/movie to keep players/viewers engaged. This is the thematic experience, which is a psychological aspect and, more importantly, once again, not applicable to Gwent.

To conclude, when you listen to a piece of music for the first time without knowing the game/movie and you get the urge to find out more about it, then you know the music is good. What does "good" mean, in this case? Depends on the person. I could imagine, for example, that it's: catchy (addicting), cinematic (emotional) or unique.

Because there a million other little things that also need to be implemented and while every individual thing might not take long the implement, the sum of everything could take years. And then it just comes down to priority. Balancing the game and making new expansions has a much higher priority.

"those less technically inclined" What? It's a music player, not building a rocket.

I greatly appreciate your detailed response, really do. And yes, as a software developer (and hiring manager and sometimes CTO) I understand this is not priority #1 for the game. I get that. It's merely a suggestion is all. I'm not up in arms about it. I take it that we're having a friendly debate on a suggestion, and my suggestions are still welcome. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I won't address all points but get to the meat: neither of us have any real hard data on how many people care about this, but you did mention it has been brought up before so I'm not alone at least. That said I did not expect this to be implemented, but I wanted to just cast my vote on something I think is worthwhile. Fair to say, no one can really give concretes on how important this is. I'd argue it would be a huge win, you'd argue the opposite. Both are valid points.

You do ask a great point on "good" music. Yes, that's always subjective. But I'm very glad you asked. The answer is subjective, but one thing I'd like to simply propose to my suggestion is merely adding more tracks, period. Basically, more variety. I get fatigued hearing the same main menu music looped over and over and over since as long as I remember playing. That's just me... I understand that. But I think this is a place where differing opinions are welcome.

Back on topic of good music:

I'd say Witcher 3 was utterly fantastic. Again, subjective but most would agree. In this overall context I really mean music that matches the game play (Pop music in the background doesn't really do it for me, I think CDPR has superb music in their games overall).

All of this is so quite subjective I'm not going to argue all your points, we do disagree on some but there's nothing bad about healthy debate. Again, keep in mind this is just a suggestion. Not a "omg this game is broken" thread.

That aside, let's revisit your previous suggestion. Maybe you or someone could help me get my own solution, and perhaps that would also help some others? My girlfriend and I at the least. =P

I own Witcher 3, and I recently watched this video from Ace of Plays (a Gwent partner, not sure what that means) and I absolutely LOVE the music. Which is some relaxed tracks from Witcher 3. I'd really like to do the same myself, and of course I can play music in the background on my own like he's doing. That would work for me and really add to my immersion and fun playing.

That said, I don't know how he obtained the soundtrack, if it's free, etc...

Any chance you can point me in the right direction? That would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your prompt replies and help and I do agree you have valid points. We both do. So if I could find a way to do the below I'd be spending many many more hours playing.

Here's the video I'm talking about. It's short, but the music draws me in immediately. And it's basically the "feel" I want when playing. Just need pointers on how to do this as I'm sure the music is copyrighted.

Ace of Play awesome music

That said, I don't know how he obtained the soundtrack, if it's free, etc...

You are asking where to get the Witcher 3 soundtrack? It's not free, like free-ware, but you can get it at no cost with the GOTY edition on GOG. Alternatively, there is a YouTube video with the full soundtrack.

PS. Not that it's helpful, but the soundtrack was made available for free for a limited time last year. I can't remember the details, though.

You are asking where to get the Witcher 3 soundtrack? It's not free, like free-ware, but you can get it at no cost with the GOTY edition on GOG. Alternatively, there is a YouTube video with the full soundtrack.

PS. Not that it's helpful, but the soundtrack was made available for free for a limited time last year. I can't remember the details, though.

Perfect. I own GOTY but was unaware the soundtrack is included. As crazy as I apparently am, this alone has renewed my desire to continue playing Gwent (over 1000 hours game time so far).

I don't know if there's a way to mark a post in a thread as "the answer". If so let me know because maybe others could find this useful too. Thanks again for your help.

Also found this YouTube link which has some of the more relaxing tracks. Helpful for those that don't have the soundtrack and would prefer a more chill vibe while playing Gwent.

I don't know if there's a way to mark a post in a thread as "the answer". If so let me know because maybe others could find this useful too. Thanks again for your help.

Such a feature is not implemented on the forums, but a RED point is a decent alternative to show appreciation. Glad I could help.

This works on PC, but what about mobile? Can't have Youtube open in the background without premium or some specific light-cracking your phone.
I guess Spotify could work, otherwise you'd have to download the mp3s from somewhere to play on your phone. I own the games, which has soundtracks, but I dunno if that also allows me to find the soundtrack files and copy them to my phone.

It would still just be neater if Gwent itself would have a broader soundtrack, and gave you more control over it. Maybe add all the other Witcher games' soundtracks as optional, controllable from a menu where you select which songs you want Gwent to play?

Top Bottom