Additions/Changes for Cards (Mid-winter Update)

+
Additions/Changes for Cards (Mid-winter Update)

It's been a while since the update and I have been able to test a few decks out. Seeing what works and what doesn't, etc. I'd just like to offer some suggestions on cards that I feel are either over-powered or too weak. Feel free to judge and suggest as well. :)

I'll just briefly mention the whole CA Silver Spy thing. In my opinion, the only card that should be able to replay a Spy is Decoy. That's just me though, don't think it's fair that some people can get up to 2 card advantage. Anyways, here's my list:

1. Muster Cards need an extra ability. Two GREAT examples of Muster Cards are the Wardancers and Temerian Infantrymen. Then there's Alba Pikeman, Shieldmadens (Why were they changed?) and Mahakam Defenders, who have little to no synergy with anything else. I think they should have synergy with something or at least have more power rather than just 9.

- Alba Pikeman: Summon all copies of this unit and boost an Ally by 2.
- Shieldmadens: Summon all copies of this unit and damage an Enemy by 2.
- Mahakam Defenders: Summon all copies of this unit and Spawn Adrenaline Rush.

The idea is that you play one of them and trigger 3 abilities in 1 turn for a total point play of 15. I don't think it's overpowered seeing how much power Bronzes now have.

2. Unnecessary Changes. Some cards were changed and became great. Other cards though....jeez. Where to start? I'm sure there's more but I can't remember everything haha.

- Brokvar Hunter no longer strengthening himself when an adjacent unit took damage. If strengthening is no longer a thing, then just make him boost himself.
- Black Infantry Deithwen Arbalest, this card has been changed too many times. I think this newest version is the worst though. Just give him synergy with the Soldier or Reveal archetype. Spies really don't need more power.
- Ves is kinda okay, but her old ability was so much better.
- Cockatrice was never really a good card, but his current version sucks. They're basically Witch Hunters but without the muster. Maybe reduce its strength and have it play Bronze draconids and/or beasts.
- Morenn not killing a unit before their ability triggers. This card was amazing before.

3. Boring cards. There's so many cards that just got their flavor sucked out of them. They just have a plain ability. Most of them are bronzes so maybe it's okay. I won't make a list but I'm sure you guys know which ones. They either boost or damage by 5 or 6 and their base strengths are 5 or 6 as well. THOSE cards.

4. Here's my favorite part, where I suggest things for already existing cards. I'm sure some of you will disagree with me but hey, this is just my opinion.

- Wolfsbane, perhaps one of the weakest Gold cards in the game. Rarely used outside of Skellige. My suggestion for this card is to simply make it stronger by increasing it's ability's power from 6 to 8.

- Ciri, a card that is not used by a lot of players but I have seen it around. It's rather weak, sitting at 6 strength but offering Card Advantage if you lose the round. My suggestion for this card is to have her Strengthen herself by 8 whenever she returns to your hand. So that you're more inclined to keep her in your hand rather than swapping it.

- I'm sure there's some freaks out there who play this card, but to me, it's literally unplayable. That card is, Saskia: Dragonfire. A very interesting card if you manage to get her and a terrible hand in a 40 card deck. My suggestion is this: Banish a card in both graveyards or banish two cards in your hand and draw two cards of that rarity.

- King of Beggars, a dead card. Reason? Not putting you ahead of your opponent. I have two suggestions for this weak card, make it so that he puts you ahead by 1 point but not exceeding his 15 strength cap or give him the ability to play a bronze unit from your hand then drawing a copy of the unit you just played.

- This is a weird suggestion but I've thought about it for a while. Give Aglais the current ability of Yennefer - Enchantress. Then change Yennefer - Enchantress for a new card that plays the last bronze or silver Alchemy card that you played because that would make much more sense honestly. Yennefer - Enchantress could be a Nilfgaardian tutor for Spells now or something completely different.

- Treason: Choose 1 - Give two units the Spying status or Charm a Bronze Spy with 8 power or less.

- Master of Disguise: Conceal two units. If they're Allies boost them by 2, if they're enemies damage them by 2. Probably reduce his strength down to 10.

- Damned Sorceress is sometimes a dead card, and I don't like that. Have her do 5 damage by herself and increase her damage by 1 depending on how many Cursed units are on that row.

- Spear/Wyvern Shield - to annihilate the abuse of this card, change their ability to boost/damage by the initial power of a Bronze or Silver unit.

- Golyat: Destroy a Bronze or Silver Ally then boost self by its initial power and then deal that much damage. So like a juiced up Cyclops, Probably reduced his strength to 6.

- Adrenaline Rush: Make a unit resilient and boost it by 6.

- Cyprian Wiley: Lock and damage a unit by 5.

That's all folks, sorry for the long post.

Personally I agree with most of what I see in your post. I've been looking at my poor poor Nilfgardians for a while now wondering why on earth did Cahir's ability need changing (it is rather useless like it is now - 1 power and a very circumstantial power? Thanks...).
Regis's ability is so-so to me, rather circumstantial but I'll have a better opinion once I've played a bit with the new abilities and cards now in.
What absolutely baffles me and would like to add here:

Combat Engineer - why? Giving Resilience was an absolutely fine ability. Now? Boost and ally by 5. Alright, this is fine. But for what devil does he now have Crew when there are no Crewed units in a Nilfgaardian deck to speak of? Or have I missed something?

Edit: Also, why is the Unseen Elder so nerfed now? That hardly seems like a leader card ability... :/ And he's weak af...

Last edited:
MorroEW;n10163042 said:
Combat Engineer - why? Giving Resilience was an absolutely fine ability. Now? Boost and ally by 5. Alright, this is fine. But for what devil does he now have Crew when there are no Crewed units in a Nilfgaardian deck to speak of? Or have I missed something?

They did hint at a future machines archetype for Nilfgaard but I see what you mean. The worst thing is that they're cards like that in every faction. It's really lame. /-:

OG.laloquaint;n10163152 said:
They did hint at a future machines archetype for Nilfgaard but I see what you mean. The worst thing is that they're cards like that in every faction. It's really lame. /-:

Even so, i think Crew should be a NR exclusive.

Crew as NR exclusive seems reasonable. I've not played with them for a while so what, aside from Crew, do they have as special tactics?
And hinting at it is fine, but why change it while there is nothing it can be used with? Make a change when you bring the Crewed stuff in. And it's a shame, really. Got quite a few things to get used to. Nilgaard's my main (have 3 decks with different focuses) but I should consider Monsters, they seem to be mainly fine from the update :D Have you looked at the Arachas Queen? :D

MorroEW;n10163542 said:
Crew as NR exclusive seems reasonable. I've not played with them for a while so what, aside from Crew, do they have as special tactics?
And hinting at it is fine, but why change it while there is nothing it can be used with? Make a change when you bring the Crewed stuff in. And it's a shame, really. Got quite a few things to get used to. Nilgaard's my main (have 3 decks with different focuses) but I should consider Monsters, they seem to be mainly fine from the update :D Have you looked at the Arachas Queen? :D

Actually, I haven't been using Monsters that much lately. Mostly ST and Nilfgaard. But yeah, maybe we'll eventually see Nilfgaard machines but for now it's practically nonexistent.

Iuliandrei;n10163492 said:
Even so, i think Crew should be a NR exclusive.

Hm I don't know, I'd be OK with that but it seems CDPR is making practically the same archetypes between factions. Like Cursed NR and Cursed SK. Like the only similarity is that they have the Cursed tag. My point is that I wouldn't mind seeing Nilfgaard gets machines too lol.

OG.laloquaint;n10163742 said:
Hm I don't know, I'd be OK with that but it seems CDPR is making practically the same archetypes between factions. Like Cursed NR and Cursed SK. Like the only similarity is that they have the Cursed tag. My point is that I wouldn't mind seeing Nilfgaard gets machines too lol.

Cursed is just a unit tag, Crew however is a faction mechanic, like Ambush is to Scoia'tael or Consume for monsters, i think we need some of these themes and mechanics to make the factions feel different.

I like what they did with mandrake (a more efficient mushroom,) I kinda want to see a similar more improved version of other bronze neutrals at the silver level, like a super swallow or mutagen potion (maybe 10 armor and 10 boost, or even boost 5 strengthen 5 armor 5.)

Top Bottom