Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
Gamers these days are unbelievable...
1. Most people here don't even understand the point of the glitch, I don't know if people are just not intelligent enough or don't understand English or are just 12 and haven't played any classic games... The glitch doesn't give you XP when you are 6+ levels above the quest level... So when you are 24 and trying level 30 quest, you get xp, if you can't beat it, it's your fault, go level up and come back later
2. Back in the day that's how all quests worked... Seriously, ask yourself, why would go get xp for plowing level 2 enemies when you're level 30... How's that even fun for you? If I was CDPR I wouldn't even fix this... This is how this should work
3. Solid logic guys... First you complain that the game is too easy cause you're over leveled, the you complain that you don't get xp in order to continue stomping on quests like 10 levels below you... Pick one and stick to it, either game is too easy and you shouldn't get this xp or just enjoy being op and keep stomping on easy quests
4. Stop whining you entitled jackasses... You really have no other game or no other things to do over the weekend that you need to sell the game cause you can't play it for 2 days? You can't find any other things in this massive game to do till this gets "fixed"? Come on...

lol gamers are unbelievable?

1. That apparently is an intended mechanic. Also if you do a quest with a higer recommended level you also LOOSE exp. i did the hattori quest at lv 12 and got 9 experience. I was punished because i was able to complete a quest higher than my level. tell me? what other RPG you know does this?

2. This isnt the old days. take off your nostalgia shades and realize we arent in the dark ages any more.

3. They added a cheap difficulty slider to provoke challenge as opposed to the game being naturally challenging. difficulty sliders imo are lame and dont prove much. boosting enmy HP and reducing player damage is as cheap as it gets.

4. People used their hard earned money to purchase the game. its not a matter of playing other games, its being told to play the game while its in this state. stop being a force-fed sheep and realize the problem goes deeper than that.

I am also affected by the bug of xp and really disappointing to spend the weekend without being able to play is when more time I have.
And it should get a patch to fix this now. Not Monday or Tuesday.
I bought this morning over the expanssion pass, I regret giving them my money so early. The first and last time I do a pre-purchase, but as coming from entrepreneurs who sold CDPR a great game for Sony-PS4, which at first was planned and developed in PC (shame given the graphics for a GTX 970).

Greetings and I hope you solve the game on PC.

Gamers these days are unbelievable...
1. Most people here don't even understand the point of the glitch, I don't know if people are just not intelligent enough or don't understand English or are just 12 and haven't played any classic games... The glitch doesn't give you XP when you are 6+ levels above the quest level... So when you are 24 and trying level 30 quest, you get xp, if you can't beat it, it's your fault, go level up and come back later
2. Back in the day that's how all quests worked... Seriously, ask yourself, why would go get xp for plowing level 2 enemies when you're level 30... How's that even fun for you? If I was CDPR I wouldn't even fix this... This is how this should work
3. Solid logic guys... First you complain that the game is too easy cause you're over leveled, the you complain that you don't get xp in order to continue stomping on quests like 10 levels below you... Pick one and stick to it, either game is too easy and you shouldn't get this xp or just enjoy being op and keep stomping on easy quests
4. Stop whining you entitled jackasses... You really have no other game or no other things to do over the weekend that you need to sell the game cause you can't play it for 2 days? You can't find any other things in this massive game to do till this gets "fixed"? Come on...

If you had bothered reading a few posts you would see that people are completing quests that are RED and still not getting experience.

On one of my save files, level 16, I just finished the Wild Hunt Hound Contract North-East of Novigrad (suggested level 11, I believe) and it rewarded me 250XP. Immediately following this I levelled up. Now level 17, went back to finish off the main quest Count Reuven's Treasure (suggested level 12, and still green in my journal being less than 6 levels away from my current), and then subsequently begin questing; The Play's The Thing (suggested level 11, and greyed out in my journal as it's now below the 6 level barrier). But yet again, I did NOT receive any XP for Count Reuven's Treasure. I assumed I would with it being within the 6 levels and green in my journal, but it seems like this is much more complicated then first thought. Initially I felt like I would take advantage of the no-XP for main quests while its around, seeing as I'm massively overleveled on at least two of my save files, and it could be used as a means to make the game more challenging later, but I don't understand where I'm supposed to peter-off... Do I wait until my main quests are suggesting 17+ before I worry about levelling up again? I've been grindin' to hit level 20 for daaaays. Just want to equip that enhanced cat gear already!!

So I played a bit tonight, avoided Main Quests and sticked to side quests and Contracts. I did two Witcher Contracts and completed two Side Quests I already had. Alongside completing two seperate Treasure Hunt Quests for witcher Gear and several ones that were just laying around at Hidden Treasure Marks on the World Map.

I am level 21 and did
- level 19 contract for some missing guy in a harpy lair on Skellige
- level 25 contract for a griffin in velen
- Quest Chain for the Master Armorer (level 24?)
- Did the
Ice Giant
on Skellige
- level 16 Treasure Hunt for Ursine Gear
- level 29 Treasure Hunt for Feline Gear
- several other treasure hunts that popped up on the go.

The only time I got exp (250) was when I turned in the level 19 contract on skellige. Everything else awared exactly nothing.

I guess I'm simply going to cheat a little bit to make up for the loss.

We would like to let everyone know that we are aware of the XP glitch players are reporting and we are working to have it fixed as soon as possible across all platforms (Monday for PC & patch 1.04 on consoles in the following days).

At the same time we want to shed some light on the issue. First of all, it doesn't impact the game balance in any significant way. Also, you will be able to finish the game with your character achieving a level within the threshold we had in mind when we designed the game.

We hope this clears things up a bit. Again, rest assured, we won’t stop working on improving the game and there are more patches coming in the near future.

would it be possible to fix pyres of novigrad as well for PC i cant advance past it. The brick never gets pushed in :(

I'm starting to think that they can either spend time trying to fix the bug and release a patch, or spend time trying to identify which quests are affected. Doing both will obviously slow down each one... so, for me, the priority is getting the patch out. There are so many quests and variables that could be going into triggering the bug that it may be unrealistic to expect them to come out with a list of affected quests... however, once the patch is released, maybe then they could explain a bit more.

I have around 100 hours invested in the XBOX One version of the game and noticed today that I no longer receive XP for any quest, regardless if level. I've tried grayed out quests, green quests, and red quests. I am at the end of Act 1, level 17, on Death March difficulty. This started today after applying patch 1.03. I have no manual saves before application of the patch. Should I wait for yet another patch? Start over!? I totally understand the scope of this game and bugs are expected. I do not appreciate the moderator's nomenclature about game balance not being affected. Tell us not to play the game until the next patch. Any others that are afflicted find a workaround?

I just finished Pyres of Novigrad today. My level is 13 and got no XP. I have saved manually and compared before & after. I also checked Youtube and the person did the walkthrough at level 9 and received 200 XP at the end.
I am going back to finish my DS2 NG++ .

I have around 100 hours invested in the XBOX One version of the game and noticed today that I no longer receive XP for any quest, regardless if level. I've tried grayed out quests, green quests, and red quests. I am at the end of Act 1, level 17, on Death March difficulty. This started today after applying patch 1.03. I have no manual saves before application of the patch. Should I wait for yet another patch? Start over!? I totally understand the scope of this game and bugs are expected. I do not appreciate the moderator's nomenclature about game balance not being affected. Tell us not to play the game until the next patch. Any others that are afflicted find a workaround?

I basically agree that game balance is not seriously affected by the bug. I do think the way that statement was made wasn't very helpful and it would have sounded a lot better with some specific information to clarify it, but it's basically true. The bug, at worst, only causes you to lose 3-4 levels, and you can still easily outlevel the story content through exploration. I've kept playing in spite of it and it won't stop you from gaining experience forever, so I don't think there will be any content you can't see or complete because of the bug, it just sucks to do a huge quest in an RPG and get no reward for it. The main result of the bug is simply that it makes the player feel bad, it by no means makes the game unplayable.

Last edited:
People say that the quest "Pyres of Novigrad" might be responsible somehow. Personally, I've played for 80h+ until I set foot in Novigrad and only then did the bug start to appear.

I suspect its linked to something later in the game. All these no EXP threads didnt pop up when the game first came out, only started happening as people naturally get further into the main story

Simple solution:

Release on the official W3 site an XP list for evey quest in the game. Something like " Quest XYZ = 200 points; Quest ABC= 150 points" and so on.

Release a tool that lets you give your character a specific amount of XP based on the quest you missed, as if you were using the console mod.

Plain simple. Don't panic.

People say that the quest "Pyres of Novigrad" might be responsible somehow. Personally, I've played for 80h+ until I set foot in Novigrad and only then did the bug start to appear.
Would be "great" it that bug really starts at this point. I have savegames just before that. I would obviously loose quite some progress but... Better to go with an older save than missing EXP...

I tested it, and i don't geht those 200 EXP - your normally get for finishing "Pyres of Novigrad"

Sadly i can't remember if i had any problems before that "point" in the game.

First off, congratulations on one of the most well crafted digital world I have ever seen. Since my computer is 3 years old, I begrudgingly decided my better option was to buy the game on PS4 and I have got to say that I am impressed with what you have accomplished on there.

Now that I have given you the flowers, here is the proverbial pot so to speak. My only qualm is with your reward system, more precisely the experience points given through quests completion. Thing is, you built this immense world for us to explore as we see fit, unshackled us from the monotony of on rails RPG. You made a somewhat MM(Offline)RPG yet you are punishing your most devout fans who take their time exploring all the nooks and crannies of your extremely well orchestrated game by removing their xp gain if they went ahead and quested too much on their own free will before going back to the main story. I would partly excuse this decision if it was a multiplayer game, or if doing higher leveled quests while being under-experienced would bear more rewards, but alas it is not the case. Problem is, we are not warned that after a certain threshold we will be deprived of the fruits of our labor and honestly this takes away a lot of the enjoyment of taking time to explore thoroughly the world you took so much time and effort to build for us.

As you can probably guess, I personally am in such a predicament. I got around to doing the main quests of Ladies of the Woods and Family Matters at level 14 because I wanted to look and feel badass in my newly crafted Feline gear set (got to see those guns in action) only to realize that I was getting nothing out of completing those tasks. It is only after perusing the web that I realized that not only the new patch introduced an XP bug but that anyone who was completing grey quests were ripped of their sweet experience points. I would strongly advise in rethinking this mechanic as I think it takes a lot away at what you intended your customers to accomplish and the time you wanted them to spend in your world. Fact is, on a financial standpoint, you want them to stick around as long as possible so when additional content is released they are incentivized to purchase it as they are still very much hooked on your product. For me personally, just discovering this has really dampened my fun and will to continue exploring the world and enjoying your game at my own pace. It's the kind of thing that actually got me to register on your forum and take some time to write to you about, which I got to say is something I almost never do (exception being this case).

I know I'm not the first to say this and probably won't be the last, but hopefully my words along with those of my fellow witchers will get you to fix this issue for us and hopefully no later than the next patch. I can't wait to dive back in and continue taking out the trash one abomination at a time and I'm pretty sure I am not the only one.

Sincerely,

Paut of Rivia

Last edited:
How much exp does the "master armorer" quest give you? The one in the baron's village with the dwarf and the lady.

Does anyone know if the amount of exp given at the completition of a quest depends on your level?

Last edited:
Top Bottom