Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
So Main Quests, even if you're "overlevelled" should give the full amount of XP regardless of your level? Is that right?

Nope,if u get of the +5 lvl range,they will give you just 5 xp each time u suppossed to get something.
(ie,if i reward for a quest is 300+300+500 exp during separate stages,you will get +5,+5,+5)

Oh boy

I was waiting to get to lvl 16 to go to Skellig and do the Destination: Skellige quest and another one that is lvl 11 suggested but now I think I'm late as I'm lvl 14 already.
Yesterday I did a quest and got 5+5xp, now I understand why.
It may not break the game, but you have to admit it's PRETTY frustrating to spend an hour or so and get like 50xp for the quest. Ok, maybe the monster you had to kill wasn't that difficult at your level, but you spent a lot of time doing it. What will happen is that people will skip low level quests because of a bad designed xp system.
It would make more sense if you needed more xp to lvl up as you played, just like every other RPG. This "fixed xp" system ends up fuc#$% a lot of the game experience, in my opinion.

Even though, even with all the problems this game has I JUST LOVE IT, you CDR Projekt Red bastards.

lvl 13 got 5xp for pyres of novigrad with the new patch

so nothing is fixed? more lies?

---------- Updated at 10:16 PM ----------

or is it because the quest was in the book already and so is bugged from the very beginning of getting it?

Neither, actually. The did fix a lot of quests, but Pyres of Novigrad is one of the ones that is still bugged. Suggested level 10, but actual level is still set to 7, which means it was grey to you at 13 even though it showed up green in the journal.

Has nothing to do with whether or not the quest was already in your journal, it's just a bugged entry in the game files.

I went on and completed novigrad dreaming (suggested lvl -7) and got 90exp

doesn't make any sense to me, unless there's also a mistake and the actual suggested level is set higher...

---------- Updated at 02:38 AM ----------

and also got hundreds and hundreds of experience on the following quest

I actually registered an account here to chime into this discussion. I stopped playing the Witcher 3 a week and a half ago because I was getting 0XP for main questlines and was told there was a fix coming. Today the patch came and the "fix" was to give me 5XP instead of 0. I'd honestly rather have the 0 because at least I knew that was a glitch. Seriously guys?

I like to explore in my games, and you gave a big open world to do so in. Now, after ive explored Velen and want to get back to the main quest, I'm punished for exploring in your game about exploring? Do you see the problem there? Please patch this to give (at least main quests) ONE amount of experience. The 5XP honestly feels like a slap in the face for quests worth 500-1000XP. Please understand why the current "fixed" system is not good design for an open world system. Thanks.

Ok so I have been following this thread for awhile and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the XP 'bug' is.

To set the scene I'm playing on the XBOX ONE and have been playing around with random quests to see what XP rewards I get.

At level 18 on patch 1.03 I attempted two quests; Get Junior (A main mission) and Redania's Most Wanted (A side mission) both are 'Suggested level 12' in grey font.

After completing both I didn't receive any XP.

I then went on to do a Witcher contract called Doors Slamming Shut with 'Suggested level 24' in red font and received (around) 270 XP

Today at the same level and with patch 1.04 I re-attempted Get Junior and Redania's Most Wanted and this time I only received XP for Redania's Most Wanted which was only for 5 XP.

So my query is was this always the way the game was set up where in you only recieve the right XP for quests that are in green (player level) or red (higher level)? and only after players complained are CDPR trying to change it?

Or is this a bug where you get the wrong XP amount no matter what and the further away from the suggested quest level you are the worse it is and none of the patches so far have fixed/changed that?

UPDATE: Just completed Destination: Skellige with 'Suggested level 16' in green font and
received 250 XP. So I guess its only lower leveled 'grey' quests where the XP reward is effected.

Last edited:
As has been said many many times before, grey quests do not give experience by design (though they give a peppercorn 5XP now). The bug was that a bunch of data was incorrect so that quests that should give experience (green or red) where not. It is largely fixed though there are still a couple of 'wrinkles' where the reported level of the quest is incorrect. It's a bit poor that whoever did the pass over the data did not get it 100% I guess that's what happens if you work too long hours!

Last edited:
Ah I figured that what was going on I just didn't understand why they would change the XP from 0 to 5 on certain lower leveled quests.

I personally don't understand why XP scales at all. If XP downscales based on level, then I almost think it should upscale as well...

I'd argue that if a higher level character does the lower level quests, the amount of XP they'd get (if it was 100%) is still negligible relative to how much they need to level, so why reduce that even more? Getting 5 exp for quests 7 levels below me is pitiful and makes me not want to do them...

I'd argue that if a higher level character does the lower level quests, the amount of XP they'd get (if it was 100%) is still negligible relative to how much they need to level, so why reduce that even more?

It's not though. XP needed to level doesn't really change much at all.

1-10: 1000
11-20: 1500
21-70: 2000

Main quest and "critical path" sidequest xp is always large enough to matter, and you definitely don't want to let those quests go grey if you care about maximizing your level.

This XP bug is really getting on my nerves as ignoring quests would have dire consequences.

CDPR devs, you ruined roleplaying! It's supposed to be an open-world game but you're forcing us to play a linear path because of this leveling trash. If you freakin' level too much even the main quest gives you nothing.

Getting exp = roleplaying?

Exactly... it's already extremely easy to overlevel in this game (and I'm playing on Death March).
I still do missions that are greyed out and I'm glad I don't get the full XP from them, I'm happy to do them for the story and characters along the way: roleplaying doesn't require you to be levelling up oodles when destroying L10 Drowners when you're L24 :p.

Even if one of the main quests goes grey on you I don't see how it's a problem. The questline will catch up to you in level scope eventually? I honestly feel bad for those who aren't yet able to enjoy this masterpiece. I've never played anything this amazing...I'd be majorly gutted as well if I couldn't progress the main quest.

I understand that quests that are grey giving no EXP is by design, and I'm okay with it. However, I just completed a quest that was for level 12 (I'm lvl 13) and I got 5 exp. I don't think that's supposed to happen. Right?

Well 1st post here cause i think i'm the newest victim of the xp glitch.

I'm level 26 now and i decided to do some main quests after a lot of exploring, contracts etc. I went to novigrad to do the Brothers in Arms Novigrad quest.
I went and spoke with Zoltan : No XP
Spoke with Vernon :No XP
Spoke with Sigismund : No XP

I get the quest completed message and still.......NO XP.

As i said i'm level 26 and the quest was level 22 and still green so i think it's a glitch. Αny thoughts? I thought that the xp glitch problem was solved with the 1.04 patch for ps4 , am i right?

Well 1st post here cause i think i'm the newest victim of the xp glitch.

I'm level 26 now and i decided to do some main quests after a lot of exploring, contracts etc. I went to novigrad to do the Brothers in Arms Novigrad quest.
I went and spoke with Zoltan : No XP
Spoke with Vernon :No XP
Spoke with Sigismund : No XP

I get the quest completed message and still.......NO XP.

As i said i'm level 26 and the quest was level 22 and still green so i think it's a glitch. Αny thoughts? I thought that the xp glitch problem was solved with the 1.04 patch for ps4 , am i right?

Sounds like those might be bugged still. My understanding is that most of the XP glitches are fixed but a few of them remain still so probably have to wait for a future patch. Not sure if 1.06 fixes any more of them (big patch for the 5 hotfixes they listed - downloading now, hopefully it means there is more in there). I'd just keep playing - I'm thinking if you keep going the quest levels will eventually catch up with your level and you will start getting XP again.

Top Bottom