Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
I play Witcher 3 since its launched day, I've installed all patchs including 1.06 and I'm still suffering XP troubles. Today I completed "Possesion" and I only received 5 points of experience.
:(

What is this XP problem you're talking about specifically?

If you do not receive XP from certain Quests, check if it's "suggested level" is higher or lower than your current level. If it's lower and grayed (whited) out, then you'll get little to no XP. That is intentional as far as I know.

If the problem is not that then I don't know. I may not have encountered it myself.

We would like to let everyone know that we are aware of the XP glitch players are reporting and we are working to have it fixed as soon as possible across all platforms.

I have some idea not sure how good it is but still want to share

I think they should divide the leveling system in two. I mean one with Main quest xp & 1 with side quest xp so main quests xp level going to improve Geralt vitality & other characteristics as well its only going to allow us to use high level armor / weapons etc. & Side quest xp is going to help us to build our skill tree or something like that...

So its going to help developers to decide what fix xp should side quests are going to give so that we can unlock only needed abilities as developers are already knows how many side quest are there in particular area so if White Orchard is having 50 side quests then may be we are going to get total 10abilitiy points to unlock the skills or more/less so that side quest also going to have some importance & every one going to complete it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the below reversed xp level suggestion more...

This is just a example I am giving may be they can use main quests xp level system for skills & side quest xp system for Geralt characteristics & armor / weapons requirement levels so anything but I think its going to give more meaning to every quest.

If they use main quests xp level system for skills then I think adding more skills to use high level armor / weapons is possible so that if some one don't want to play side quests still they can enjoy all armor & weapons.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So finally the idea is....

Main quest xp system - Needs to develop character & skills tree
Side quests xp system - Needs to wear high level armor & weapons & to unlock other items

If some one don't want to play side quests then add new skills like Armor 1] 1-10 lvl 2] 10-20 3] 21-30 4] 31-40 5] 41-50 same for weapons & this skills only going to unlock at some point say 1st skill going to unlock when Geralt is going to reach lvl 10 2nd on 20 & so on

Even after the 1.07 patch I get 3 or 5 XP from old quests. Why is this still not fixed?

What old quest are you exactly talking about? Sir if you got 5 exp that means you are way over levelled on that particular quest. To get full exp on a quest as a reward, you need to be either 5 levels less or 5 levels more than the recommended quest level. Going beyond 5 levels more than the quest will make it Gray quest and you will just receive 5 exp.

Hope this helps. CDPR designed it that way to prevent exp abuse.

Last edited:
What old quest are you exactly talking about? Sir if you got 5 exp that means you are way over levelled on that particular quest. To get full exp on a quest as a reward, you need to be either 5 levels less or 5 levels more than the recommended quest level. Going beyond 5 levels more than the quest will make it Gray quest and you will just receive 5 exp.

Hope this helps. CDPR designed it that way to prevent exp abuse.
I can only get to 42 level using the XP mod otherwise I am stuck at 35. Grey quests should yield XP or there is no way I can equip high level weapons and armor.

That is intentional as far as I know.

No. The devs specifically said that XP would still be attributed to lower level quests.

I personally never encountered this bug until 1.07. Now, every single old quest (be it lower or higher level than my character) gives me something between ONE and THREE experience points. This is ridiculous, because in effect that means my leveling is stuck.

Let's refresh our memories, when you kill a bloatfly in Fallout 3, you get X amount of XP. When you finish a quest you get a huge X amount of XP.

In Witcher 3, when a quest is 6 levels below your current level 5 XP is only awarded.

5 XP? Are you freaking kidding me?

Perhaps this is CDPR new revolutionary enlightened take on role-playing. Perhaps newer games and devs will adopt this too. NOOOOOOOOOOT!

Hey kid, I'm at level 21 now and the main quest is greyed-out! Haha

why'd they even put such high level weapons/armor in there to begin with then? why not drop those level 42 weapons/armor to say level 32 so PEOPLE HAVE A CHANCE TO ACTUALLY GET TO USE THEM AND ENJOY THEM BEFORE THE END GAME? durrr...hello mcFLY

Hello!
I love the game, but after 1.07 im just sad. First my gwent collector cheevo does not pop, and now ALL QUESTS (Secondary or Main) just stop give me xp. 0 xp points for everything. I cant even believe in this, cause i came from work dying to play, and this is what i got. ZERO XP POINTS. I tried 2 main missions, 7 secondary, nothing. And yes, sure, my level is always between 5 less or higher. never too less or too higher.
I have to stop play now?? Cause how i will going to catch up later all this lost?! Anyway...... Stop playing then. Waiting......

Just did a quest I'm the "green" lvl 24 and I'm also lvl 24. Xp gain.... On quest complication 0..... What the hell? Try killing monsters and only get 0-5 xp even if they are in my lvl. Hope 1.08 will fix all this.

Just did a quest I'm the "green" lvl 24 and I'm also lvl 24. Xp gain.... On quest complication 0..... What the hell? Try killing monsters and only get 0-5 xp even if they are in my lvl. Hope 1.08 will fix all this.

Can't tell why this is a problem when you get more quest XP than you need...
The game is built in a way were you "finish" at around L38... regardeless what quests you did or what other way you made your XP.
The more mobs you slay for XP, the more quests will turn "grey" and give little to no reward.
That's no bug... it's a design decision.
Some Quests don't even give XP... just item rewards (like the treasure hunts for witcher armour).
If they did...some other quests would turn "grey"... so no problem.

It's just not intended to finish the game in the 40s... although still possible.

Okay, well I finally have a reason to click into this thread and see about the "no XP" bug and/or design decision sticky thread is all about. I finished a bunch of quests last night and barely moved the dial on my XP. I was thinking 200-300 XP each and I'm getting either ZERO XP or at most 5-15XP. HUH?

It's not like im high level yet, only level 26. Trying to make it to level 29 so I can wear my superior witcher gear, and it looks like I am going to need about 400 quests to get the next three levels?!

I'm running 1.08.2 and just ground to a halt. II guess I leveled too much between main quests, as I ran around just enjoying the world and ignoring the main storyline for awhile. now I guess I am paying the price. I understand the design decision in some ways, but it's still really frustrating. Either that or there is some new bug that I've wandered myself into.

Last edited:
Dont worry bud if you want more XP just do the path of warriors quest exploit if you dont mind "cheating", doesnt seem like it'll be patched any time soon

I play on the PS4 and had a question about this glitch. When playing my original playthrough, I got the XP bug. I waited awhile to pick the game back up, after patches that were suppose to fix the problem, but I still had the issue. What I want to know is that if I start over with a brand new playthrough, will I still have the xp bug? Did I still only have it because I got it in the first place, and the patch couldn't fix that but a brand new save file will fix that?

One of my problem is that I don't want to have to play through the game again in a super cautious way. I want to do the missions I want to do without missing out on XP from missions. I am currently finishing up the map and the amount of missions and XP I missed out on bothers me. I remember them stating that playing the game the way you wanted wouldn't be a problem. If you want to focus on the main game and do other stuff later, you can, but this situation punishes you for it. If you don't do everything in the exact right order, you will definitely miss out on XP, and perhaps even if you do everything right, it will still be a problem.

For all the xp loss in this game there is xp gain to whatever level ya want via numerous glitches. How did this thread go on for so long

So, is this bug (or we it is) gonna be fixed? Is it really just decision of CDPR, that for some quests i do get points, and for some i do not?

I was level 37, i think, i have started new game +, got 30, 50 XP for using Axie, but then, after mission, i got just 2XP. Damn, i was thinking that the bug is fixed.

Are they gonna fix it, or is this permanent? How are we then supposed to reach rank 50-60? I have some armor for that levels, but witch 2XP for mission, aint gonna get there anytime soon, if only.

I was level 37, i think, i have started new game +, got 30, 50 XP for using Axie, but then, after mission, i got just 2XP. Damn, i was thinking that the bug is fixed.

The experience varies from quest to quest, and depends on your level. Even in New Game +, if your level is far enough above the requirement of the quest, the experience reward will still be low.

Last edited:
Top Bottom