Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
I bought this game for 60€, I can't play since almost 1 week because of the xp bug (and also these stupid tiny unreadable text).

I want to play this weekend after a big week of work and you telling me I can't because you will not patch it before next week, seriously ?!

Just pay attention to your XP before you finish the quests to see if you're getting the XP or not. All quests I've done so far have properly awarded the XP, so the bug doesn't affect them all! Also, there are loads of things you can do besides quests. No reason at all to stop playing just because of the bug.

Doesn't matter, console users who do not have 1.04 also have the bug. The problem is within the game logic not a patch.

Maybe 1.03 for console and 1.03 for PC are not identical and it included th same change that broke the XP. Or it triggers based ons omething that's been from the gane from the start as some people report.
It would be nice if CDPR could "shed some light" on the bug and what causes it if they know at all.

I think if you are going to not give XP for quests that are too low level when turned in, at least give MORE xp for quests completed that are ABOVE the player's level to compensate.
Otherwise open-world is really a sham as you are forced to do things in a certain order or be punished for it down the line, even if you used items and strategy to beat harder encounters/quests.

Guest 3825552

many people don't realize also that you'll often get the XP before you actually turn the quest in and it says "completed". You'll get the XP as soon as you kill the quest's monster or solve the mystery etc., not when you turn it in.

I have been keeping check on my XP, and this clearly wasn't the case for me. I do believe its a bug as some people are getting their XP correctly while others like me are being completely cut off regardless of the situation!

If I didn't care about anything in the game BUT the main quest then perhaps it would be ok. But because I wish to explore the world and do most other things IF possible before continuing the main quest, its just going to break my game. I will need to resort to exploits and hacks to get XP in order to complete some quests now because I won't be spending 3000hrs killing 10million drowners!

Last edited by a moderator:
cant confirm that.
started a new game a few hours (wanted to play on deathmartch), played until the griffin and was rewarded for every single main and sidequest.

I have had a similar experience (although I've been doing it slower than you). I've had no experience issues so far. I'm not going too far to wait for the next patch anyways, but still, I think people are flying off the handle a bit.

Does the XBO patch rolling out today have this glitch? Reassurance aside, I am not sure I should play if I am not getting the proper XP.

First of all, it doesn't impact the game balance in any significant way. Also, you will be able to finish the game with your character achieving a level within the threshold we had in mind when we designed the game.

It does not impact the game balance? Yet you have structured the entire game on this same balance. Nice way to contradict yourself. Not reimbursing the lost experience is a even bigger kick in the teeth for the console players as we don't have any trainers, mods and other tools available to get back our lost xp like the PC players have.

You also have a achievement in the game that requires you to reach level 35. I guess removing several levels does not impact that either. This is just another big sign that you should really never pre order games any more since you are actually better off waiting until it is in the bargin bin. Then you get the "finished" product for half the price and don't have to be a guinea pig for the developers.

As Geralt would say "I want my xp now, pay up!!"

Drogi Panie Marcinie, ;)

Thanks for the update, but would it be possible to get some more specifics?

What does the glitch affect, exactly? Is all XP from quests lost, or is it an intermittent problem?

Why do you say this shouldn't affect balance? Is it because there's so many quests in the game there's no way to get XP for all of them before they "grey out", and you expect completionists to still out-level the main quest easily, once the game is fixed?

Clearly, it makes no sense to say this doesn't affect balance if it prevented all XP gain... Which implies that you think it's possible to gain significant amounts of XP despite the glitch - but if that's the case, how? Question mark encounters? Grinding monsters? Treasure hunting? Getting lucky and still getting XP on some quests?

It seems unlikely that I could put in 10-15 hours into the game over the weekend, finish a dozen quests and a bunch of minor tasks, get almost no XP but suffer no meaningful consequences.

Of course I do play the game for the immersion it gives me, the excellent quests and fantastic story. But part of the game is also to get those new skills, be able to craft and wear that armour you been hunting all around the world. Levelling up and feeling more powerful for every quest you do is important. Would suck to stand there, almost complete and missing like 10 levels to wear those nice armour and weapons. Also making it extremely harder to finish some of the lvl 30 or higher contracts.

Your "shedding light" amounts to glibly saying it's not a big deal - obviously it is. Progression is hampered, people are avoiding playing the game, and - depending on the severity of the bug and how soon people discovered it - they could have missed out on several levels of xp, that you are now saying you won't reimburse? That's a big deal!

Exactly. How the hell are you supposed to get into the level threshold if you don't get ANY XP AT ALL? I'm level 14 now, how in god's name would I be able to progress and beat higher leveled quests if main quests don't give me jack?

Guest 3825552

A Witcher doesn't spend his waking hours culling millions of monster/npc from the map just to get to level 30 or something so he can take on that contract. Seems silly to force that sort of gameplay, makes for a tedious grind-feast with absolutely no filler to keep player interest up. Give quest XP BACK to the player!

Hmm. I've recently done quests for horse racing and fist fighting, the latter way above my level... They were giving me very little exp, around +50exp etc. through the quest and at the end as well. Is this a bug or these kind of quests just reward you so little?

How is being unable to kill enemies because of damage reduction from level difference " not impacting the game balance in any significant way"?

dont know the exact quests, but there are a bunch of sidequest which only gave me 50-100 xp. seems normal. most of the mainquest give a huge amount (5001000xp)

A Witcher doesn't spend his waking hours culling millions of monster/npc from the map just to get to level 30 or something so he can take on that contract. Seems silly to force that sort of gameplay, makes for a tedious grind-feast with absolutely no filler to keep player interest up. Give quest XP BACK to the player!

You do realise it's not that they don't WANT to do this, it's that they probably CAN'T. They weren't expecting the bug like this, there's no way for them to track back for which quests you were rewarded your experience and for which you were not.

Guest 3825552

Hmm. I've recently done quests for horse racing and fist fighting, the latter way above my level... They were giving me very little exp, around +50exp etc. through the quest and at the end as well. Is this a bug or these kind of quests just reward you so little?

Those quests reward very little, the main draw to the quest is better saddles and coin etc... However the primary point of doing JOB/Monster contracts is to get decent XP to level up. At least traditionally it has been, but in this case its just a time waster until you get back onto the main quest line were it will give you XP when it decides you deserve it... .. .. . . . . . ...... .

EDIT: I don't care if they don't give me a bunch of free XP. But I won't be doing a quest if there is no XP gain reward in it for me, I want my better suit of armor, why waste time on quests if they give no XP? (besides some tedious cutscenes and coin for a sweetcake or two?)

Last edited by a moderator:
You do realise it's not that they don't WANT to do this, it's that they probably CAN'T. They weren't expecting the bug like this, there's no way for them to track back for which quests you were rewarded your experience and for which you were not.

There are other solutions that I am sure they can think up. Include a quest in the next patch that give a massive amount of XP to compensate is just one solution.

...it doesn't impact the game balance in any significant way. Also, you will be able to finish the game with your character achieving a level within the threshold we had in mind when we designed the game.

RPGs are games where you can choose to either do lots of side activities, gain EXP and literally be more "experienced" aka overleveled or do less side stuff and be underleveled/just right. That is just a huge part of RPGs in my opinion.

So while saying that it doesn't affect the balance of the game might be true, because you can always do more quests in order to meet the required/recommended level (I'm assuming that is the threshold you mentioned), it still takes away from the entire experience by not letting the player play how he wants.

3+ levels do make quite the difference in TW3 - just thinking about the armor and weapon level requirements and how much better equipment "only" two levels above can be.

So that's it, right? I love the game and I love achievements, I made peace that I won't get the Gwent cards collecting one, alright. Missed it cause I lost to scholar in Orchard. Now you tell me I'm gonna miss that level 35 achievement? No way! I was doing main quests in Novigrad for last few days and now I found out that I missed a lot of XP cause of this? Should give us a "Sorry" quest that gives us at least 2 levels of progress.

I saw you changed DLC depots on SteamDB, so you're working on the free DLC instead of pushing this hotfix for people who wanted to spend few more hours playing during the weekend. That's pretty nice of you! /s

I don't have an XP glitch as of now.

Did the Kaer Morhen event and earned some levels. Side quests also granted me some XP.

Top Bottom