Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
Does this bug affect everyone the same ? Now i cant get xp from any quest i complete. Gray, green and red ones. And some peaple claim they get xp from post and pre patch quests...
I wouldnt mind that much if i was writing this monday but i waited whole week to play this at weekend. And saying that you know there is a problem and adding "enjoy" at the end of the sentence is probably worse than being silent about the subject..

As we mentioned, this bug doesn't cause too much experience loss in the long run so please enjoy the game during the weekend.

Um, what? Keep playing an RPG that doesn't hand out xp? It doesn't cause "too much" experience loss in the long run? I could have gained two levels in the last three and a half hours of gameplay I had (and that's because I was taking it slow) and you're telling us to keep playing the game broken throughout the weekend? Marcin, with all due respect, please don't insult our intelligence. You're not giving us straight answers. I'm not complaining about the time it will take to release the patch, I get that it can be more complicated than it seems, but you actually just told us to do something that makes the problem worse.

Last edited:
I don't understand how it doesn't cause much loss if you don't get any experience at all from main quests? How am I supposed to level up without the significant amounts of XP you get from those?

Right. Many people have reported that they've tried doing several quests and got no XP. I know I did - tried three, including 2 side quests and 1 main quest - and got nothing.

Under these circumstances, vaguely saying that it doesn't cause much XP loss in the long run is asking for quite a leap of faith.

Simply put - where is this future XP going to come from?

My main concern isn't even for how this will affect my power level - it's that without an answer to this I can really trust, the best case scenario is me playing while worried and stressed that I'll have to replay portions of the game, and worst case scenario is that I will have to replay or restart. Neither is going to be close to an optimal gaming experience.

there is a method to make up for the xp loss, somehow.
there is a cyclops on skellige isles, which gives 50 xp per kill and spawns infinitly.
unfortunately the cyclops is lvl 30, so you can only do that, if you are high level already :(

Temp solution.

For starters,
As we mentioned, this bug doesn't cause too much experience loss in the long run so please enjoy the game during the weekend.
I guess this refers to people who do all the side quests and the world investigation,thus should have found by now that even a slightest turn off the main story road yeild so much exp that you will outlevel main story quest req. very quickly.
So,this bug wont be a big deal for players.

Now,what i suggest as a temp. solution:
If you are do not get any exp at all for all the quests or feel cheated in someway for not getting what you have deserved,even if its just a side quest and do not want to stop playing this weekend you may try this:
1) If you already experienced this bug,evaluate its net loss. (This should have proably started may 25 for pc players).
2) Google Witcher 3 mods,find "Debug Console Enabler" (nexusmods should be good and virus free option).
3) Install it.
4) Open the console and type in "addexp (your evaluated number)".
5) This shall give you all the exp you lost (dont missuse it tho,we are for fair play here ;) ) so you can continue with your playthrought this weekend.
6) If you encounter this bug again,u can simply google the quest you did,watch how much exp it yeild to other player and add this amount again throught the cosole.

This way you wont have to go back in the game and can continue your epic adventure this weekend,untill the fix is in place.

If any one here can provide a database with all the quests and thier exp rewards,that would save us a lot of time =)

Does this bug affect everyone the same ? Now i cant get xp from any quest i complete. Gray, green and red ones. And some peaple claim they get xp from post and pre patch quests...
I wouldnt mind that much if i was writing this monday but i waited whole week to play this at weekend. And saying that you know there is a problem and adding "enjoy" at the end of the sentence is probably worse than being silent about the subject..

We don´t know what causes the bug and people appear to be experiencing slightly different versions of it, though the majority of people appear to be in the same situation as you or me. (a.k.a No quests appear to be giving xp rewards) Unfortunately you will probably be best off just waiting until the patch comes out before continuing your play through, unless CDPR sheds some new info on the situation that we aren´t aware of yet.

Um, what? Keep playing an RPG that doesn't hand out xp? It doesn't cause "too much" experience loss in the long run? I could have gained two levels in the last three and a half hours of gameplay I had (and that's because I was taking it slow) and you're telling us to keep playing the game broken throughout the weekend? Marcin, with all due respect, please don't insult our intelligence. You're not giving us straight answers. I'm not complaining about the time it will take to release the patch, I get that it can be more complicated than it seems, but you actually just told us to do something that makes the problem worse.

I literally just registered to the forums to second this post. As someone who has invested 60+ hours with the help of the strategy guide, I'm beyond frustrated. I've never considered taking a game back for trade-in in the past, but this is definitely trying. With the delay in release you'd think they would be prepared for issues like this to arise - apparently that's asking too much; it's much more important for them to develop new outfits on unplayable characters and such..
That being said; we're all adults here and we understand that these bugs take time to iron out, but why Marcin' is encouraging us to enjoy the game during xp glitches is beyond me? I've been playing since release and have seen most of the complaints against the game; fps drops, stuttering, popping, straight up model and texture seizures, yet none of this is comparable to an XP glitch of this nature.. It's completely unplayable for the majority at the moment..
Buck up CDPR and admit you messed up; trying to downplay the problem at this point is beyond unprofessional.

They are too much into saving face instead admitting their err. Who the hell in the right mind would run around looking for quests at their appropriate levels and quests are not opened up until you run into it.

There is no need to retroactively adding points if no structure were in place originally so people would understand that. What they can do is admitting the stupid decision, scrap such dumb thing and replace w/ an algorithm to give XP based on levels upon completions.

Last edited:

I did all side quests/main quests and almost all ? locations in Velen and Novigrad and currently my level 19. I have nothing to do in those areas until level 24-25+, and I still not getting any EXP from main and side quests in Skillege, so basically it means that I have to grind and spent hours of farming Cyclopes, etc. to reach required levels?

How the f*** loosing experience from quests not affecting the game if I have to spend hours farming and grinding instead of gaining experience from quests and exploring the game?!

Last edited:
They are too much into saving face instead admitting their err. Who the hell in the right mind would run around looking for quests at their appropriate levels and quests are not opened up until you run into it.

There is no need to retroactively adding points if no structure were in place originally so people would understand that. What they can do is admitting the stupid decision, scrap such dumb thing and replace w/ an algorithm to give XP based on levels upon completions.

Pretty much. I think it's pretty stupid that my quest log is cluttered with lots of quest way above my level, even though I got most of them in the same locations that I got low-level quests...

saying, that the exp loss wont effect balance in the long run, is pure nonesens.
how should you be able to beat quests, that are way above your own level, without leveling up yourselfe.........

We don´t know what causes the bug and people appear to be experiencing slightly different versions of it, though the majority of people appear to be in the same situation as you or me. (a.k.a No quests appear to be giving xp rewards) Unfortunately you will probably be best off just waiting until the patch comes out before continuing your play through, unless CDPR sheds some new info on the situation that we aren´t aware of yet.

I will just quote myself from another website:

My hypothesis is that if you complete certain quests when they are greyed out (6 levels under your current level) that this glitches some subsequent/related quests into acting as if they are also greyed out. Greyed out quests are designed to not give any XP.

I'm pretty sure when I finally wrapped up Family Matters and Ladies of the Wood that they were greyed out (I was level 13). I tried completing later quests like Broken Flowers and didn't get any XP.

So I would say make certain to complete quests before they become greyed out.

Update:
I just loaded an old save where I had Pyres of Novigrad available. I wrapped up Family Matters and Ladies of the Wood, both which were greyed out. Then I did Pyres and Novigrad Dreaming, neither gave me experience.

I loaded the save again and instead of wrapping up the two greyed out quests, I just went straight to doing Pyres and Dreaming. Both gave me experience.

The thing is, whereas Broken Flowers wasn't giving me XP, Destination: Skellige was, so I'm not sure what the pattern is exactly. How exactly some quests get glitched into acting greyed out and others don't.

Last edited:
This is a very big SNAFU. And they are not making it better by not being clear about the problem and downsizing it. Kind of insulting saying that it won't affect the playing experience.

i spend easely "days!!!!" ingame with not getting exp for most of my quest and wasn't aware of thi beeing a bug i play on a hihg difficulty and in total i alrdy spend more than 6 days regarding playtime shwon in cara screen playing one of the best games i ever had the plessure to play. but now i heard of this bug and i woudl have been ok with it aslong as i get exp back . but no? i wont get anything? I will not restart a game i alrdy spend over 6 days playing.

(i rly feel strange after seeign how much time i alrdy put into this game :eek:)

PS: my english is far from perfect and i was rly pissed writing this so pls dont hate me for doing alot of mistakes i think i made my point clear.

How does someone calculate how many EXP has lost?

I did king's gambit quest and didn't reeive any. How can I know how many EXP I was supposed to get? Some contracts too.

For starters,
I guess this refers to people who do all the side quests and the world investigation,thus should have found by now that even a slightest turn off the main story road yeild so much exp that you will outlevel main story quest req. very quickly.
So,this bug wont be a big deal for players.

Now,what i suggest as a temp. solution:
If you are do not get any exp at all for all the quests or feel cheated in someway for not getting what you have deserved,even if its just a side quest and do not want to stop playing this weekend you may try this:
1) If you already experienced this bug,evaluate its net loss. (This should have proably started may 25 for pc players).
2) Google Witcher 3 mods,find "Debug Console Enabler" (nexusmods should be good and virus free option).
3) Install it.
4) Open the console and type in "addexp (your evaluated number)".
5) This shall give you all the exp you lost (dont missuse it tho,we are for fair play here ;) ) so you can continue with your playthrought this weekend.
6) If you encounter this bug again,u can simply google the quest you did,watch how much exp it yeild to other player and add this amount again throught the cosole.

This way you wont have to go back in the game and can continue your epic adventure this weekend,untill the fix is in place.

If any one here can provide a database with all the quests and thier exp rewards,that would save us a lot of time =)

I agree with this suggestion (I've suggested it myself on another thread), but only after the game is patched. The more quests you do, the more difficult the calculation gets, and who knows what else you'll be breaking. And it doesn't help console players. For them I suggested adding a cheat they could use in the PS4 and Xbox One versions.

I would also very much appreciate a database with all quests and their exp rewards.

---------- Updated at 06:45 PM ----------

How does someone calculate how many EXP has lost?

I did king's gambit quest and didn't reeive any. How can I know how many EXP I was supposed to get? Some contracts too.

Either CD Projekt releases a database of exp rewards for all quests so we can use it as reference or, if they don't do this very simple helpful thing, we wait until exp rewards are catalogued by players on wikis.

Top Bottom