Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
After experiencing the XP bug during the mainquest I( decided to do some exploration instead until the patch hits. Stumbled upon one of those minor tasks in the wild. Upon completing it, I didn't get the usual "XY XP gained" message, but looking at the char sheet I did gain 25 XP nevertheless.

I'm curious if the next patch will actually revert the XP system to how the guide explains it: Reduced XP for gray quests and increased XP for red quests.

Does anyone have a site that will list the EXP you should get for a quest? I am going through lets plays right now and just giving myself the EXP I see them get when I get none. There is no way I'm not playing this game this weekend even if they are too lazy to work OT and put a patch out before Monday, when EVERYONE that isn't a NEET goes back to work... so this is the alternative.

A site that lists rough EXP rewards for every quest would be nice, but I don't think it exists because of how xp is rewarded probably

The Crown "cap" seems a pointless annoyance, I reached it without exploits and I lose hours of work. Very silly, does anyone know if CDPR plans to remove it?

I'm curious if the next patch will actually revert the XP system to how the guide explains it: Reduced XP for gray quests and increased XP for red quests.

Yeah, this is EXACTLY how this should work. I really hope they will change it in Monday's 1.05 patch. BTW. Just restarted my game and changed difficulty from Normal to Death March - satisfaction from the game and role-play level almost tripled.

Marcin, can you please explain how no gaining exp from quests won't affect the balance of game? I'm really curious.
I'm 24th level right now. The lowest level quest in my journal (beside main story quest, which is 19 level quest) is level 30, which means it's red. The rest of them is even higher. Okay, so doing main quests, I will only gain exp from monsters. In that, I will probably never reach the 27-28 level. Sure, that may be enough to do 30 level quest, but 34 level quest might be problematic. And I'm not even mentioning that 35 level trophy/achiveent will be impossible. Because, what? I should kill wolves and drowners 'till I reach max level?
I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong and this really won't affect balance. But if so, please explain.
Oh, and sorry for my english. Didn't use it for a while :p.. Polish is my first language.

I decided to play despit the glitch today.

Thought I'd update people on the results so far.

As of a couple of days ago, I was level 14, and I noticed I wasn't getting XP anymore when trying to do Broken Flowers in the main quest line. (did the whole Broken Flowers as a test, got nothing, reloaded to an earlier save, tried a couple of contracts, got nothing again)

When I started playing today, I was afraid to jump into the game, so at first I ran around and played Gwent (finally developed a half-decent Northern Kingdoms deck in the process), then did some "?" tasks, and finally a couple of level 7 quests that were gray anyway. Got maybe 300 xp that way.

Then I got bored with messing around, and figured I'd roll the dice after all - so I went off and did Destination: Skellige. It worked, I got XP for it. Then I picked up a contract in Skellige, and that worked too. Went from barely level 14 to halfway between 15 and 16. I'm currently in the middle of another main plot quest in Skellige, it remains to be seen how that goes.

Bottom line, encountering the bug doesn't *completely* stop you from gaining quest XP again. (though obviously, this was not a long term test, so it's hard to say anything definite - I don't know how long my good luck will last) However, based on whats some people have said in this thread, I'm not sure it's possible to predict which quests will give XP and which won't. I'm pretty sure I saw someone complaining that they went to Skellige and couldn't find anything that gave XP. Perhaps that's why CDPR have been so close-mouthed as to what exactly the problem is?

I do have a feeling, however, that the game is so filled with redundant ways of getting XP, and has so many quests, that on any given playthrough a large percentage of quests would become "greyed-out" anyway - which is why they're confident in saying this glitch doesn't significantly affect balance. There's probably no way to get 100% of the theoretical quest XP even when the game is working as intended. (which really pisses some people off, so they devs don't want to talk about it)

I could not wait untill the patch. On PS4 it probable release on wednesday or so. I was going to wait but I missed out on a lot of XP allready from previous quests. And my intent was to go for a completionist playthrough and have a strong character ready for the DLC but that's allready off the table becauso of this bug. So I've devided to go on with the bug and finish the game without exploring everything. And then start a new playthrough after the patch hits.

I tried a few things and I have a theory. It appears to me that Ciri quests might be causing the bug. XP notifications are disabled for her flashback quests and they just don't turn back on after you come back to play as Geralt. But it doesn't happen every time. I replayed her part of the quest in Family Maters really quick without picking up any loot or going in menus and bug didn't happen that time. Now I consistently getting XP for any type of quest including main story quests.

Not everything that is on the guide is correct. Official guides begin to be written months in advance, is pretty common to find errors like that based on outdated information, especally when the guide is released on the same date as the game.

Honestly what i fear the most about this XP issue is that they change the balance of XP reward to be too generous. I really hate being over leveled because i explored too much in a game. And in the state of the game right now this doesn't happen much(althought some main quests maybe give too much xp).

Four posts. All of which have been flaming other members. Trust me it's better to mention issues in the tech support forums than to join a forum for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of people.

I personally think being able to play a game I paid $60+tax for on my weekend off is better than spending it trolling people. To each their own though.

**To mods: I apologize if it's against rules to call it like I see it, but it's fairly obvious what his intentions are**

yes, its better to mention the issue in tech forum, you are completely right. pointless crusade against CDPR about the bug and trolling about it in every single post doesn't help to solve the problem. Marcin said its going to be solved after the weekend right? yes, my intentions are very clear to you, thank God

We are hoping to have it quicker than that. It's all about the certification process on consoles.
No chance of getting the XP hotfix on PC before patch 1.05? I haven't played the game since Thursday and I'm already seeing signs of withdrawal syndrome. Need to get my fix asap.

I hope you guys are not serious about delaying the PC patch for the xp bug until Tuesday or Wednesday, if you can hotfix it on Monday. I personally don't think it can wait. It should be patched as soon as possible, especially since you might not be able to retro-actively award the missing xp.

No chance of getting the XP hotfix on PC before patch 1.05? I haven't played the game since Thursday and I'm already seeing signs of withdrawal syndrome. Need to get my fix asap.

Yes, what eskiMoe said. It should not be postponed if it can be hotfixed.

Have to admit, it's been a bit disappointing that playing the game feels like a bad idea right now.

Having said that it has been awesome so far, and I look forward to the next patch.

Really hoping it arrives late tonight or at least Monday though

Not everything that is on the guide is correct. Official guides begin to be written months in advance, is pretty common to find errors like that based on outdated information, especally when the guide is released on the same date as the game.

Honestly what i fear the most about this XP issue is that they change the balance of XP reward to be too generous. I really hate being over leveled because i explored too much in a game. And in the state of the game right now this doesn't happen much(althought some main quests maybe give too much xp).

XP overlevel is not a problem when playing on Death March, personally I enjoy the game A LOT more than on normal difficulty that i played before. Of course i was lvl 11 so i could restart my game losing like ~15 hours, but if you are further in the game progress then maybe try Death March with your second playtrough, later :) I honestly recommend that, much more lore friendly (needs preparation, research, conentration during fights, etc... And much more satisfying )
Can't wait for 1.05 patch! ^^

I tried a few things and I have a theory. It appears to me that Ciri quests might be causing the bug. XP notifications are disabled for her flashback quests and they just don't turn back on after you come back to play as Geralt. But it doesn't happen every time. I replayed her part of the quest in Family Maters really quick without picking up any loot or going in menus and bug didn't happen that time. Now I consistently getting XP for any type of quest including main story quests.
While testing my theory, I loaded an old save and turned in Family Matters/Ladies of the Wood. I didn't do any menus or pick up any loot with her and still glitched later quests. For me Family/Ladies were already greyed out so I didn't get XP anyway, but I tested Pyres > Novigrad Dreaming after completing them and they didn't correctly reward XP. I then reloaded and just skipped Family/Ladies entirely and went straight to Pyres > Dreaming and they both gave XP.

So for me, it was definitely something about completing Family/Ladies that caused the glitch.

Until I read your theory though, I didn't even think about the character switching as a cause. That's a pretty good idea, but I know someone who has completed the game and not had any XP issues so it must be something a bit more specific or random about the character switching if that is it. In Ladies all I did was dash to the target. In Family all I did was spam X and then climb the ledge. Also, in an earlier part of that quest, you can't avoid looting with her. So everyone does it at some point.

Top Bottom