Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
No offense (Who cares), but You are starting to appear like a troll. The interesting part is several of the vitriolic posts seem like they are from you but with alternates accounts, same language style, same grammar, same writing style. Chill the fuck out, they are working on the patches.

lol first post ever on this forum!
but surely you know better you read between the lines (sure you think a lot of yourself XD)

I think it's a shame for a GD to say things like this because of people thinking like this that quality of gameplay in most games decreases more and more! That's why and no offense, but at least my post concern the thread! not yours!

In case u didn't notice, alot Monsters out there respawn. And u can kill them again. And guess what. U get exp. Just play the game, u can level up all you want no matter what happens with quests....
So you are saying that the best way to develope in a such a strong story based RPG is just simply to grind like in some hack & slash game? I think we have Diablo 3 for this adn other VanHelsings. Also if you like grind go play ....... (insert almost any MMORPG name here).
Dude, this game is all about quests and stroies and morals which came from doing quest and getting to know ppl living in this world. And that is what differs Witcher from tens of RPG out there. And when you take important game mechanic fro game and put an emphasis for just killing monsters you will destroy whole concept behind Witcher games.

i'm not talking about lame ass wolfes, i'm talking about lv 25 earth elementars, lv 35 basilisks, wyverns, fiends, cyclopes.... all that stuff runs around in velen and respawns rly fast.

You know what I got from killing a lvl 30 Ice elemental with my lvl 21 character....... glorious 3 XP ..... I kid you not 3 XP . I will be 35 in no time for sure.

I'm now receiving XP through just about everything. Playing on PC through GOG Galaxy (1.04) and before today, I couldn't receive XP from anything. Not Main, Side, Contracts or even Gwent. It's working now, though. I suppose the Hot Fix has been issued? My game still says 1.04 but the XP thing seems to be back to normal.

I'm now receiving XP through just about everything. Playing on PC through GOG Galaxy (1.04) and before today, I couldn't receive XP from anything. Not Main, Side, Contracts or even Gwent. It's working now, though. I suppose the Hot Fix has been issued? My game still says 1.04 but the XP thing seems to be back to normal.
probably just luck/magic. No updates have been issued. What level are you and what quests are you playing (level)?

Man I hope it isn't luck or magic. I was hoping everyone could get back to enjoying the game :/

I just hit level 19, and I've done more quests now and everything is good. I'm currently working on the Witcher Cat treasure hunt (level 17) so I can see how that goes. I just did a quest to kill some Wild Hunt Hound for some dwarves who love bees? I think it was 15 or 17 and that awarded me XP. Sorry for the lack of info. I'll monitor more closely.

No. The XP won't be added back for the finished quests. Sorry about this.
First, thanks for the reply, second, well, the only thing to do is check out the amount of lost XP based on Quests Rewards and use the Debug Console with "addexp (XXXX)"

Really hope this XP issue gets sorted out soon for consoles. Been on Skellige for a few days now and done just about everything on the islands. And have gotten 0 xp for every single quest there. Main quests, side quests, contracts, and finding locations in the wild. Went onto Skellige at level 21, leaving at 22 (about 20-30 hours play time I'd say). Extremely disappointing and frustrating. I'd probably sell the game, but I downloaded it through PSN. I hope you guys find someway to retroactively reward XP to us, cause otherwise that was 20+ hours on Skellige wasted, seeing as all the gear you find/get is no comparison to crafted witcher gear.

Yeah. 70+ hours in game. Intentionally not progressing the main quest line just to get the maximum out of locations, loot and random encounters. I even did not yet start the meeting Triss part of the plot. And suddenly this. For the love of God. "We won't add the XP retroactively". Great. Thank you for my personal lvl 50 achievement. Thank you also for raping the hell out of red quests just for fun. I am not even aware if I received XP for that (or will receive).

Am I supposed to be able to finish any more of the red quests in my journal by now if not the XP loss? This is important as hell for my playthrough.

Given that Geralt wears the set-armor only, I mean... duh! You don't even care about epic loot as much. Such pissed, much disappoint. Still a good game though. But I also want my lvl 50!

---------- Updated at 06:27 AM ----------

First, thanks for the reply, second, well, the only thing to do is check out the amount of lost XP based on Quests Rewards and use the Debug Console with "addexp (XXXX)"
Could you help me to find this "Quest Reward" count? I might want to use this command in future to even my XP count with the supposed one.

[Spoilers] - Quest Names

Well, I thought I had managed to avoid this bug but it finally hit in Skellige. I can confirm that with me doing a single 'grey' main quest has prevented me getting any experience in subsequent quests.

"Long Live the King" L16 everything fine until here
"Echoes of the Past" for some reason is only L13 after the higher level initial quest. Grey and so no experience as expected.
"Missing Persons","Nameless" and "calm before the Storm" no experience at any stage of these quests.

Incidentally I killed Morkvarg before completing any main quests (The king is dead) if that is anything to do with it.

As an aside why do the main quest levels go 16,13,14,15 ? I would have been fine if not for the oditty of diminishing main quest line level requirements.

It would appear I am completely blocked on the main quest line (as others have reported) due to doing a grey quest on that line. Happened a bit later for me is all.

Last edited:
I decided to load an earlier save @ level 4 shortly after arriving in velen (I was level 11 after 40 hours of gameplay when I made the decision)
In part I also did it because i think I might do better to do the quests and encounters more or less in the order that I get them via the story (I.e. do the Jenny in the woods quest after meeting keira because it's about the level I'd gotten to by that point)
So far not missed any exp (have checked each quest as I did them)

Last edited:
Yeah, I have that feel about "I should not doing main quests, or not plat at all" but then again I think there are loads of quest, and sooner or later you ll have some gray quest, so, if you make those green quest now you ll not "miss" experience, or I hope so!

Anyway, I just hope to have the patch for console this week =S

This is work around for those who in needed of XP.

Just go grinding :p its not the best solution but its work at least, provided you are patient.

Meanwhile, CDPR better hammered this issues fast....

Some of you guys are really starting to make me angry... and some of you are a total disgrace to the whole witcher community. After following this thread from the start and reading every single post, I've started to get the feeling that none of you can ever be satisfied.

There we have developers and publishers like EA and UbiSoft who really don't give a damn about the players because their franchises are so huge that people buy them anyways, no matter how broken or generally bad the game is. Millions are pre-ordering the next BF, COD or AC and just accept it.

And then we have CDPR, who are tiny in comparison to the former mentioned companies. And they start to make things differently, like postponing the release of the Witcher 3 because they felt the game wasn't ready. And they informed the community open and honest. And guess what? Everyone praised them for this bald and unusual step. They really do care about their fans. And the fans repeatedly admitted how much they love CDPR.

And now all that changed because of a bug? Are you people serious? I'm speaking to all of you who are bashing, threatening and even insulting the devs or Marcin. Can't you understand that they are working on it? No fucking one of us here has any clue about developing a game of this size. Don't try to argue about this unless you have worked on a project of similar scale. And therefore no one knows what they have to do to get this fixed. I'm 100 % sure that they are working day and night to get this fixed because I know for a fact that they care. But you people don't remember the 99 good things they've done. No, the only thing you care for is the 1 bad thing. And that's fucking ungrateful.

I demand a little bit of patience and commitment to CDPR from all of you because unlike many other devs and publishers, they have never let their community down before. So just accept the situation like it is and stop asking permanently if the patch is ready yet. It won't come any faster if you do.

Btw, yes, I'm affected as well by the bug and yes, I'm still playing and just enjoying this huge and vast world. Thank you, CD Project RED, for the most immersive RPG I have ever played since Planescape Torment.

Some of you guys are really starting to make me angry... and some of you are a total disgrace to the whole witcher community. After following this thread from the start and reading every single post, I've started to get the feeling that none of you can ever be satisfied.

There we have developers and publishers like EA and UbiSoft who really don't give a damn about the players because their franchises are so huge that people buy them anyways, no matter how broken or generally bad the game is. Millions are pre-ordering the next BF, COD or AC and just accept it.

And then we have CDPR, who are tiny in comparison to the former mentioned companies. And they start to make things differently, like postponing the release of the Witcher 3 because they felt the game wasn't ready. And they informed the community open and honest. And guess what? Everyone praised them for this bald and unusual step. They really do care about their fans. And the fans repeatedly admitted how much they love CDPR.

And now all that changed because of a bug? Are you people serious? I'm speaking to all of you who are bashing, threatening and even insulting the devs or Marcin. Can't you understand that they are working on it? No fucking one of us here has any clue about developing a game of this size. Don't try to argue about this unless you have worked on a project of similar scale. And therefore no one knows what they have to do to get this fixed. I'm 100 % sure that they are working day and night to get this fixed because I know for a fact that they care. But you people don't remember the 99 good things they've done. No, the only thing you care for is the 1 bad thing. And that's fucking ungrateful.

I demand a little bit of patience and commitment to CDPR from all of you because unlike many other devs and publishers, they have never let their community down before. So just accept the situation like it is and stop asking permanently if the patch is ready yet. It won't come any faster if you do.

Btw, yes, I'm affected as well by the bug and yes, I'm still playing and just enjoying this huge and vast world. Thank you, CD Project RED, for the most immersive RPG I have ever played since Planescape Torment.

It's often the vocal minority screaming and yelling, most of the people playing this game probably won't even really notice there's a XP bug (sucks if they do though). And the only reason people are acting upset is because they obviously love playing the game and want to continue on playing... compare it to the little brats who go grocery shopping with mommy, see a candybar they really like and start yelling CANDYBAAAAR!!!! MOMMY!!! CANDYBAAARRRR!!! and when mommy tells them it's too early for candybars they go WAAAAAAH MOMMY I HATE YOU!!! I NEVER WILL EAT ANYTHING AGAAAAAAAIN!

once mommy fixes up them some good, crispy french fries everything will be fine and dandy again and we'll be one big content family holding hands and singing kumbaya.

You guys, lol. CDPR is just another company that wants your money, they are not better because they gave you content. Hell EA supported Battlefield 4 for years.

You CDPR lovers are just as annoying as CDPR haters. Hell even more, cause one hater makes 10 lovers jump at him!

Amen and thank you for posting this. Been reading through these threads tonight and find some of the abusive vitriol being thrown at CDPR to be very disheartening. I can understand people's frustration but I don't feel it warrants insults and personal attacks against the people who are working their a$$es off to get this thing fixed. Anyone who knows CDPR's track record knows that they do their utmost to ensure a quality experience and I have complete faith that they will resolve all major issues in a timely fashion.

I look forward to starting my journey with this game once this patch is out (or maybe after a few more depending how tempted I get). I have two Witcher 2 saves on-hand and ready to go.

To offer something positive to this discussion: CDPR you guys are awesome, keep up the good work.

Some of you guys are really starting to make me angry... <rant snip> .

Mainly this thread is constructive and supportive with of course the odd bellyacher that you get in any thread of this length. The thing that made me chuckle was that this post is far angrier than from most of the people that have the bug.

I've played games (way too many) since colossal cave back in the 70's and W3 is probably the one that I have enjoyed the most on so many levels. Not only do 'I remember the good things they have done' I will always remember, this is a watershed in entertainment. Really there aren't many people 'bashing' at all, chill man.

It's often the vocal minority screaming and yelling, most of the people playing this game probably won't even really notice there's a XP bug (sucks if they do though). And the only reason people are acting upset is because they obviously love playing the game and want to continue on playing... compare it to the little brats who go grocery shopping with mommy, see a candybar they really like and start yelling CANDYBAAAAR!!!! MOMMY!!! CANDYBAAARRRR!!! and when mommy tells them it's too early for candybars they go WAAAAAAH MOMMY I HATE YOU!!! I NEVER WILL EAT ANYTHING AGAAAAAAAIN!

once mommy fixes up them some good, crispy french fries everything will be fine and dandy again and we'll be one big content family holding hands and singing kumbaya.

Buahahaha, fantastic summary of forums in general :) I agree with it completely.

Top Bottom