Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
At least PC will get the patch this week, supposedly. Consoles are stuck in limbo until next week at the earliest. At that point the game will have been unplayable for 2 of its first 3 weeks out. And yes it's unplayable. An RPG that builds its roots off of character progression and leveling, but fails to actually progress your character is broken and unplayable.

Last edited:
I have to say, i'm really torn on how to handle this bug. What to say about it here, and what to do with the game. I have shelved the game since i heard about the bug which was pretty quickly after it was public knowledge. Let's state the obvious with that though, no customer should ever have to put off playing a product that has been released, that they have handed over hard earned money for. That's just bad business for everyone. Mechanics, ethics, morally, and on a public relations standpoint. I have no doubt it wasn't intentional, but it's happened and no one can change it now. It's all about how they handle the problem now. And i have to say i think the problem has been handled pretty poorly. Not terrible, but poorly. Pretty much all but saying "go fuck yourself". Clearly, from information we've seen posted here, the XP bug (for the users that it is affecting) is pretty substantial. And how was it handled? Sugar coated that it's really not that bad, you can still play the game, for the xp you have lost, "sorry you're shit out of luck", and "we're working on it, the patch will be released soon, maybe Mon, maybe Tue, or even Wed, but we're working on it, SORRY".

I have no doubt that they're working on a patch to fix the problem, and let's hope they're working hard. We want to have that faith, but with the little bit of info we have received, and the way i've taken it...it's pretty cryptic and we've all been left to hang. Like something else is going on, something that we're not being told. We were left with option A- get screwed on the XP, or B- don't play the game. To me, those were the only 2 options i could come up with. For the the others who want to grind monsters, more power to you...that's not how i want to play the game. So with this substantial bug, why couldn't CDPR just release a hotfix?

Here it is TUE, and the patch that was supposed to be released MON for the PC is not happening. So, now we have to wonder when THAT is coming out, because please don't forget...for US console users, it's going to be even longer for a patch. So again, i have to say...this has been just short of a nightmare. All bugs aside, the game is outstanding. They created a world that is very easy to get lost in, and hard to pull away from. Everything is incredibly detailed and fun to do. But the bug is rather game breaking, i, myself have lost interest in the game, and thought about selling it and coming back to it in 3-6 months..when hopefully everything would be fixed. But like a bad ex girlfriend, it's hard to break all ties from the game, even with all the problems. I'm trying to hold onto the little bit of faith and hope i have left, that in the next few days, all will be right again.

Moral of the story. Bugs aside, this is a fantastic game...but has been marred by bugs and the way those bugs have been handled has been extremely disappointing. I think to the point that CDPR has lost customers for any future games.

Now with all that said, i think i'll go play The Witc....ohh wait. Damn it!

I have to say, i'm really torn on how to handle this bug. What to say about it here, and what to do with the game. I have shelved the game since i heard about the bug which was pretty quickly after it was public knowledge. Let's state the obvious with that though, no customer should ever have to put off playing a product that has been released, that they have handed over hard earned money for. That's just bad business for everyone. Mechanics, ethics, morally, and on a public relations standpoint. I have no doubt it wasn't intentional, but it's happened and no one can change it now. It's all about how they handle the problem now. And i have to say i think the problem has been handled pretty poorly. Not terrible, but poorly. Pretty much all but saying "go fuck yourself". Clearly, from information we've seen posted here, the XP bug (for the users that it is affecting) is pretty substantial. And how was it handled? Sugar coated that it's really not that bad, you can still play the game, for the xp you have lost, "sorry you're shit out of luck", and "we're working on it, the patch will be released soon, maybe Mon, maybe Tue, or even Wed, but we're working on it, SORRY".

I have no doubt that they're working on a patch to fix the problem, and let's hope they're working hard. We want to have that faith, but with the little bit of info we have received, and the way i've taken it...it's pretty cryptic and we've all been left to hang. Like something else is going on, something that we're not being told. We were left with option A- get screwed on the XP, or B- don't play the game. To me, those were the only 2 options i could come up with. For the the others who want to grind monsters, more power to you...that's not how i want to play the game. So with this substantial bug, why couldn't CDPR just release a hotfix?

Here it is TUE, and the patch that was supposed to be released MON for the PC is not happening. So, now we have to wonder when THAT is coming out, because please don't forget...for US console users, it's going to be even longer for a patch. So again, i have to say...this has been just short of a nightmare. All bugs aside, the game is outstanding. They created a world that is very easy to get lost in, and hard to pull away from. Everything is incredibly detailed and fun to do. But the bug is rather game breaking, i, myself have lost interest in the game, and thought about selling it and coming back to it in 3-6 months..when hopefully everything would be fixed. But like a bad ex girlfriend, it's hard to break all ties from the game, even with all the problems. I'm trying to hold onto the little bit of faith and hope i have left, that in the next few days, all will be right again.

Moral of the story. Bugs aside, this is a fantastic game...but has been marred by bugs and the way those bugs have been handled has been extremely disappointing. I think to the point that CDPR has lost customers for any future games.

Now with all that said, i think i'll go play The Witc....ohh wait. Damn it!

You took the words out of my mouth! It really is a damn shame...everybody makes mistakes, and I'm always willing to give companies like CD Project Red the benefit of the doubt, but you know, I honestly can't believe that the only statement of the developer so far has been: "Chill out, you really don't need XP, you can still play the game like it was designed to be played". If this is true, why even award XP in the first place?

I honestly don't get it...a quite baffling strategy, really. I'm also thinking about putting the game in my giant backlog pile and come back to it in half a year or so when, hopefully, the most devastating bugs have been fixed.

Yes, I speak about ungrateful people. CDPR has never before given us any reason not to trust them. On the contrary, I don't know any company who is so much in touch with their community than them or has done so much for them. They postpone the release of their game so they can deliver a more polished version FOR THE FANS. They'll release 16 free DLC as an apology for delaying the game to be more polished FOR THE FANS. EA would have delayed the game without comment and then would have charged you for these 16 DLC. So much for treating you like shit, right?

If they haven't fixed the problem yet, there will be a reason for that. Of course I would like to know a release date or at least the reason why it takes so long too. But I trust CDPR even if I don't get these answers.

But this isn't enough for some people, some people just need something to complain. They treat you like shit? You, sir, just proved my point.

16 free DLC ? Amazing !

Sorry for all I said, and thank you CDRP for this awesome dress for Yenefer and these haircuts/beards for Geralt ! I'm so happy now, take a month or 2 to fix the XP glitch it's not a problem, because now I have an awesome FREE Temmerian armor !

Mekc

Forum regular
Guys, if we have a patch tomorrow (I guess) - do you think it's okay for me to start a new game now and NOT face XP bug? I guess the bug only happens when you do the "grayed out" quest right? And if I just start game with first 5-7 levels I'm not likely to get this bug?

P.S.: I'm starting for the second time I mean.

Last edited:
Nice read. I agree they handled it rather poorly. They're either hiding something (that the xp bug is fucki.. difficult to solve) or they just don't care that xp bug breaks the game for so many people. They will fix it sooner or later and I will play it as soon as that happens, but not before.

You took the words out of my mouth! It really is a damn shame...everybody makes mistakes, and I'm always willing to give companies like CD Project Red the benefit of the doubt, but you know, I honestly can't believe that the only statement of the developer so far has been: "Chill out, you really don't need XP, you can still play the game like it was designed to be played". If this is true, why even award XP in the first place?

I honestly don't get it...a quite baffling strategy, really. I'm also thinking about putting the game in my giant backlog pile and come back to it in half a year or so when, hopefully, the most devastating bugs have been fixed.

Yeah, being more transparent about whats going on would give them a heck more goodwill. Having mentioned the possibility of a 'hotfix' and retrospective experience didn't really do much to quench the thirst for information either, especially if it turns out there is no hotfix or retrospective experience. If they had never mentioned those things I think people wouldn't be as pushy as they are now. Also, I'm 99% sure that the developers are busting their butts off day and night to get the patch out. But yeah, a XP hotfix (last week) would've made sense IF they really did manage to fix it already.

Guys, if we have a patch tomorrow (I guess) - do you think it's okay for me to start a new game now and NOT face XP bug? I guess the bug only happens when you do the "grayed out" quest right? And if I just start game with first 5-7 levels I'm not likely to get this bug?

P.S.: I'm starting for the second time I mean.

I guess you and probably many other people don't understand the "xp bug". Grey quest are not supposed to give XP. One of the devs said in in this post for example

16 free DLC ? Amazing !

Sorry for all I said, and thank you CDRP for this awesome dress for Yenefer and these haircuts/beards for Geralt ! I'm so happy now, take a month or 2 to fix the XP glitch it's not a problem, because now I have an awesome FREE Temmerian armor !

This just shows that there are some people who can't be grateful no matter what. There is no company in the whole gaming industry who does so much for their fans than CDPR and still, it's not enough. "Here, we give you 16 free DLC because we delayed the release of the game." "Here, we give you Enhanced Edition Updates for two games because we worked on them till perfection." They did everything right and now they're handling one bug not the way you like (while many other, bigger company handle them even worse) and you forget all the good that there was and still is. Thats a shame.

I don't want to play the bug down. I don't want to tell you that you can't complain. I don't want to say that CDPR is doing everything perfect regarding this bug. They could be more transparent and I don't like this bug any more than you. But I haven't forgotten what CDPR has done for it's customers so far. It seems many of you have.

How would you like it when you're the best employee in your company for years, doing everything right and giving everything you could, and then you make ONE mistake and the whole company treats you like shit for that? Think about it and please, see the whole picture before you claim that you're being treated like shit.

Last edited:
I guess you and probably many other people don't understand the "xp bug". Grey quest are not supposed to give XP. One of the devs said in in this post for example

Nope Saltz, you did not understand what Mekc meant. XP bug is INITIATED by doing a greyed out quest and it results in no XP given for some green/red quests.
Basically if you play the game doing quests on your level or slighlty above you should not encounter the bug at all.
Thus Mekc starting new ame and play just in White Orchard should not have any issues.
There might be some problems later on, when questlines are dropping (inexplicably) in required level, like Lambert's quest from 13lvl to 11lvl req.

DLC are still in the game, ever the 30h dlc. Its just for money and say "hey see ? free dlc ! Now suck me hard"

buisness is buisness, they don't care about us.

Mekc

Forum regular

It's so easy to say "you do not understand". I understand that grayed out quests TRIGGER the XP bug for "green" (normal level) quests which stop giving XP (when they should).

---------- Updated at 04:12 PM ----------

Nope Saltz, you did not understand what Mekc meant. XP bug is INITIATED by doing a greyed out quest and it results in no XP given for some green/red quests.
Basically if you play the game doing quests on your level or slighlty above you should not encounter the bug at all.
Thus Mekc starting new ame and play just in White Orchard should not have any issues.
There might be some problems later on, when questlines are dropping (inexplicably) in required level, like Lambert's quest from 13lvl to 11lvl req.

Thanks for the reply! That's what I wanted to hear. I'll just play White Orchid - I don't think I will get some problems with gray quests as I won't have any.

I'm just waiting for the patch to start over. Not cause of the exp, cause of some missing sidequests. :3

I earn my exp in a special place in Velen:
Non story spoiler, but monster location spoiler:

Attachments

• hunting_grounds.jpg
    hunting_grounds.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 63
Top Bottom