Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
Reading the post about it dumping XP late gives me slightly more hope.
The only worry with that is if you get to a point where that XP is needed, but still hasn't come (if it ever does).

The system itself is pretty weird...completed "A Play's The Thing" (lvl 12) at Lvl 18 and got no quest XP, but did get 5 XP for paying 50 coins for a ticket, and 14XP for the Ushers. As they were quest-related (and unavoidable), it's rather inconsistent if that sort of thing is still rewarded regardless of level. It's also a pretty weird thing to be rewarded for, giving money away in a quest; yet you get nada for spending hundreds at merchants' stores...there's probably logic in there somewhere.

Yes.
Rather upsets me to see how readily some people are to sell the game for less than they've paid, thus losing money, rather than waiting a little while for it to become fully playable, cos eventually, the bug will get fixed. It's such a shame that a bug like this has occurred and driven people away from an otherwise brilliant game, just because (for whatever reason) they weren't able to wait.

It upsets you, why? It's my money. I worked for it. If i want to lose less than 20$ on a game i played for 5 days straight for 5-8 hrs at a time while this company hopefully works out the bugs, so i can return to it at a later time...so be it. I've waited a while. I'm tired of waiting. Patience has never been my strong suit. I love the game, but i hate the state that is in right now. Hopefully in 3-6 months, the game will be around 20$ and after all is said and done, i paid...what 38$ for it? I'll take that. This will give them time to fix this bug...any others that arrive in the meantime. Again. "Hopefully".

Played some more today, I'm still getting XP for side quests and tasks (all green), just not for the main story in Novigrad (also green).

Just want to make it clear that I'm in no way attempting to down-play the severity of the XP-bug in my below post. I, just like others, am in the midst of my only two weeks vacation this year and am absolutely gutted over the problems the game has had since 1.04. That being said, I know some of you are still pussy-footing around the Northern realms afeared your levelling will hit its climax and you'll be forced to start from scratch. I sympathize with you, and that's the only reason I make this post..

I realize it's been reported as being the greyed out quests that specifically cause the XP bug to affect green, red, whatever future quests you run into. But I just did quick testing of my own, loading up an old save on PS4 (still patch 1.04) and ran Triss' secondary quest; A matter of Life and Death (suggested level 12), which was greyed out for me as Geralt's level 19 on that save. So after I gained some carnal knowledge from Triss and expectedly received no XP, I decided to do Dijkstra's secondary quest; Deadly Plot (suggested level 14), which was green in my journal, and surprisingly received 25XP. Although not much, I think it's safe for me to continue casually playing the game. Especially considering the fact that after running the first four main quests on Skellige (from a more recent, but still bugged save) and having not received any XP for them, I subsequently completed the fifth main quest and received all previously missed experience.. For which I have a working theory:
In short, I think the main quest Nameless may possibly prompt an XP gain for previous tasks, because completing it together with Family Matters, Ladies of The Wood, and The Play's The Thing, combine to trigger the main quest; Ugly Baby, as well as initiate the Second Act; The Great Battle. With that said, I think that in some way the 'sistering-quests', story-altering moments, and/or significant decisions made throughout may actually cause the game to generate the experience bugged in previous quests. And although theres no real way to confirm it without word from CD, or a thorough experience chart outlining each quest - I mean I could still be missing hundreds of XP points from past quests without knowing, I still do feel I'm in someway able to progress without being forced to restart..
So, as disappointing as some aspects of the game are right now, and as desperately as I want this fixed - its still playable. At least for me on the PS4.
Hope someone finds this helpful.

It looks like that you're starting to get missing expirence after finishing one or two main line quests where required level is higher or same with yours.

However, due to problems with low level gear I reloaded previous save to acquire some high level schemes and gear, because it's impossible to defeat one of the bosses without proper equipment later in the game.

It upsets you, why? It's my money. I worked for it. If i want to lose less than 20$ on a game i played for 5 days straight for 5-8 hrs at a time while this company hopefully works out the bugs, so i can return to it at a later time...so be it. I've waited a while. I'm tired of waiting. Patience has never been my strong suit. I love the game, but i hate the state that is in right now. Hopefully in 3-6 months, the game will be around 20$ and after all is said and done, i paid...what 38$ for it? I'll take that. This will give them time to fix this bug...any others that arrive in the meantime. Again. "Hopefully".

Obviously it's your money. You said it yourself, you like the game, why bother buying it again, as you say you're going to? It'll probably still cost more to buy it again, as I highly doubt you'll consistently find it for $20 in only a few months. Maybe a few years, or more considering they're planning DLC until 2016. But as you say, you can do what you like.

Last edited:
lol first post ever on this forum!
but surely you know better you read between the lines (sure you think a lot of yourself XD)

I think it's a shame for a GD to say things like this because of people thinking like this that quality of gameplay in most games decreases more and more! That's why and no offense, but at least my post concern the thread! not yours!

Nope. I've been on this forum since the first release of the witcher 2, before the forum overhauls. The game is getting patched up, no reason to spew insults at developers for no reason. Some people here have this ridiculous conspiracy bullshit idea that CDPR intentionally wants to screw people over.

last time i will ever preorder anything from cd projketred , seriously how can it take you weeks to fix a major game breaking like this, this is inexcusable and yeah ive lost alot of my goodwill towards gog and you guys because of this
Release the hotfix now , this kind of bug should have been fixed at most in 2 days

I received all my missed EXP after finishing couple main quests, I am almost at the end of game, still have couple main missions, probably 20-25% till the end. I level upped from 22 to 29, probably this bug creates some sort of delay for receiving experience.

Just finished some random contract and got level 31 instantly. Playing on ps4 patch 1.03.

If this is what's really happening, I'd resume playing right away.

Well that's a bit harsh...I don't think any GD is that evil.
Also, I thought it was either 1.02 or 1.03 (1.04 on PC), or a combination of both, that introduced the bug...don't remember seeing anybody complain about this earlier than 1.02's release?

I do not mean to say that they did it maliciously, as in being 'evil' I mean to say that they released the game knowing it was broken because of any number of reasons or pressure to get the cash in. They know that a large number of people will put up with it and the fiasco will be forgotten in a few months. It is the same with most every game launch these days. The Total War series is a big example; massively hyped, faked 10/10 reviews - then the game is not even playable, horrendous graphical and technical issues taking months to resolve - if at all. Yet people still buy the next one!

Many people get sore, but the pc gaming industry know they can get away with it because in the vast majority of cases PC games are non-refundable. GTA V has been a big example too - huge hype, years in development and a large number of people still cannot even launched the game or are unable to play due to repeated crashing. there are people on their tech forums waiting in excess of 40 days for tech support ticket responses.

Either way we will all survive... its only a game after all. I was just having a moan about the state of the industry in general and the fact that CDP Red had a better reputation than that. I paid for this game in 2014 expecting a September release I think? it was delayed and delayed and delayed... and even now it is still completely broken for a lot of people.

Obviously it's your money. You said it yourself, you like the game, why bother buying it again, as you say you're going to? It'll probably still cost more to buy it again, as I highly doubt you'll consistently find it for $20 in only a few months. Maybe a few years, or more considering they're planning DLC until 2016. But as you say, you can do what you like.

I never thought that Dragon Age Inquisition would be selling for 25$ but it is on Ebay. Dlc recently released for it and i'm sure more to come. You might have overlooked this but I didn't say 3 months. I said 3-6 months. I promise you the Witcher will be around that price point come Nov.

I'll set a reminder to come back and post my spoils of war.

Cheers and best of luck with the game until then

I can understand that people are upset, 12 year old or not. This bug halt progression for many players and create a sense of that you shouldn't play the game at the moment and instead wait for the fix.

This should have priority instead of bundling it up with other fixes so people can continue playing.

I agree with you on this too, but other issue like what I currently have with Kings Gambit quest also makes me feel halted in game too. It sucks but is fair to release all at one time.

So, as I mentioned before I reloaded previous save to acquire some good gear for future storyline fights. During that process I level upped from 24 to 27 and when I again completed same main line missions (for which I got tons of exp and jumped from level 24 to 31) I received almost nothing and instead of jump to level 31, I've just got level 29 for the exactly the same quests.

Some weird system balance or else happening here.

10 days I'm not playing because of this damn bug. We are not your beta testor. Last preorder from your studio. So you are working on Cyberpunk? Sorry but not waiting this game anymore.

Good thing the game was delayed so much, otherwise the game may have been buggy! I can't wait for the next free DLC that adds 2 buttons to Geralt's shirt!

I never thought that Dragon Age Inquisition would be selling for 25$ but it is on Ebay. Dlc recently released for it and i'm sure more to come. You might have overlooked this but I didn't say 3 months. I said 3-6 months. I promise you the Witcher will be around that price point come Nov.

I'll set a reminder to come back and post my spoils of war.

Cheers and best of luck with the game until then

I quite often wait for the GOTY version but W3 I got sucked in by the hype and pre-ordered. No regrets here, a watershed in gaming and I might be dead when the GOTY version comes out!

---------- Updated at 07:04 AM ----------

Just want to make it clear that I'm in no way attempting to down-play the severity of the XP-bug in my below post. I, just like others, am in the midst of my only two weeks vacation this year and am absolutely gutted over the problems the game has had since 1.04. That being said, I know some of you are still pussy-footing around the Northern realms afeared your levelling will hit its climax and you'll be forced to start from scratch. I sympathize with you, and that's the only reason I make this post..

I realize it's been reported as being the greyed out quests that specifically cause the XP bug to affect green, red, whatever future quests you run into. But I just did quick testing of my own, loading up an old save on PS4 (still patch 1.04) and ran Triss' secondary quest; A matter of Life and Death (suggested level 12), which was greyed out for me as Geralt's level 19 on that save. So after I gained some carnal knowledge from Triss and expectedly received no XP, I decided to do Dijkstra's secondary quest; Deadly Plot (suggested level 14), which was green in my journal, and surprisingly received 25XP. Although not much, I think it's safe for me to continue casually playing the game. Especially considering the fact that after running the first four main quests on Skellige (from a more recent, but still bugged save) and having not received any XP for them, I subsequently completed the fifth main quest and received all previously missed experience.. For which I have a working theory:
In short, I think the main quest Nameless may possibly prompt an XP gain for previous tasks, because completing it together with Family Matters, Ladies of The Wood, and The Play's The Thing, combine to trigger the main quest; Ugly Baby, as well as initiate the Second Act; The Great Battle. With that said, I think that in some way the 'sistering-quests', story-altering moments, and/or significant decisions made throughout may actually cause the game to generate the experience bugged in previous quests. And although theres no real way to confirm it without word from CD, or a thorough experience chart outlining each quest - I mean I could still be missing hundreds of XP points from past quests without knowing, I still do feel I'm in someway able to progress without being forced to restart..
So, as disappointing as some aspects of the game are right now, and as desperately as I want this fixed - its still playable. At least for me on the PS4.
Hope someone finds this helpful.

I got nothing for "Nameless" when I triggered "Ugly Baby", had pretty much no XP all through Skellige since "Echoes of the Pastt" . Haven't done "Ugly Baby" yet I am kinda messing around before doing that. I am hoping as that is a new act that it clears up (or the patch arrives today). After I did Nameless I did a contract in the fields outside Novigrade (Called White Lady perhaps? its a Noon Wraith) and despite being 5 levels below (just barely green) I got 250 exp!!

Anyway I have a hunch that (only a hunch) that progressing through an Act can somehow clear the bug.

Good thing you told us you are not releasing this Monday, because the patch is right around the corner. Guess what? Right around the corner has passed.

Top Bottom