Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
Could we please get some communication here please. This "around the corner" stuff feels like a slap in the face. I really like this game but I fear its becoming permanently tainted by the hour with no word on whats going on. Also the fact that they were going to give us a patch but are holding it back so they can put it into 1.04/1.05, to me, says that they just want to make life easier for themselves rather than do a service for their customers. They say the xp isn't that big of a deal and you can still finish the game at the level they had in mind, but, what the hell does that mean? Level 20? 30? 100? Again, communication please. Enough of this, if you wont tell us anything for sure just dont say anything at all. Ive tried to play with out getting xp, but I just cant. I cant get over the fact that I spent my hard earned money on a product that doesnt work the way it is intended to. Considering the thank you note that came with the game, I figured this company wouldnt leave us hanging with, "around the corner" and such. A little bit of clarity goes a long way. I know they have to be careful about what they say because people are so stupid, but this is a real let down. I havent felt like this since the Skyrim DLC issue for ps3. It was an xbox exclusive for 30 days but when that time was up, still no ps3 dlc. Then they said they want to make sure it works, after a few months of rage they actually said, "we never actually said it was coming to ps3, just that it was an xbox exclusive for 30 days". Well that really stung and at one time I had dubbed Skyrim my favorite game ever, but now years later I dont look back with any kind of fondness at all. And now The Witcher 3 looks to be the second entry in the category of games I once loved. CDPR, if your reading this, please let us know whats going on.

Community Communication 101: Always cover up and deny any misunderstandings;)

Go Marcin! You are the best!

Last edited:
Working on fixing the "No XP" bug. Hotfix coming Monday for PC, consoles will follow shortly. Details on our forums:...

Trying to stealthily remove his tracks....which is kinda not happening in the internet day and age. Nice try though....

yeah sure. y dont you look in your browser line and see two needless dots in the link you clicked above instead of THAT kind of accusation. I mean CDPR might be wrong incl Marcin but they are not sneaky-stealthy bastards. They are unlucky lazy and prolly not grateful or caring.

Was really hoping they would have fixed this issue around this time because ive a 5 day vacation starting today, ive stopped playing since encountering the pyres of novigrad quest glitch and the no xp glitch and its been almost a week now, been itching to play but now im starting to lose interest... Especially With TESO coming out in just a few days, they seriously need to stop being so vague about their announcements, it would at lease put our minds at ease rather than leave us in suspense

We would like to let everyone know that we are aware of the XP glitch players are reporting and we are working to have it fixed as soon as possible across all platforms.

(...)

UPDATE (as of 01/06/2015) - 1.05 for PC coming this week & patch 1.04 on consoles in the following days.

Any update regarding the day when the FIX will be deployed? :)

CDPR, please, please, just say when. I can take it. Next week, ok fine. Just say something. I'm checking internet every few minutes, it's just not ok to leave us hanging like this.

I get it the higher the level Geralt is the less exp he gets from monsters, humans and animals that are at a lower level than he is. However why are the majorty of all killing things at these levels:

1,2,3,5,7,9,11,12,15,18, 22,23,25,......specifically 5,15,18, yet there are only one level 48 mob which is a arch griffin, one level 42 mob another arch griffin, one level 38 (which last patch lowered to level 35 for some reason), there aren't any mobs above level 25 really. And on top of it no matter what I run into it ALL gives 1 xp now since I am level 38. I have nearly runout of quests and to get 2,000 exp I don't want to kill 2,000 monsters, humans and animals. The Experience % buffs don't work either. So what's going on here? I don't want level 5 Wolve packs to be the go to exp areas with Aard (instant kill to all but the level 7 warg/worg leading the packs) So fixing the experience "bug" better yield back pay experience for all quests done that you are fixing as well as yield at level monsters all over the place and fixing of the expereince % buffs. Plus more quests.

And what the hell is it that you give us a level 13 quest to go find religious books and on the same island in Skellige there is a level 48 Arch Griffin guarding a level 48 quest that can't be completed?

Momot replied on another thread.

"We continue working on the patch. Can't give you the exact time it will release - sorry about that. Once I can share that info with you, I will."

For me that says they/he's lying since last week. Damn.

Guys, if you're playing on pc, there's a workaround for the exp "bug" on nexus, Modders discovered that quests are bounded to lvl, example :

Let's get the Broken Flowers quest ( and let's say its bound to give you rewards only if you are lvl 13 or below ), if you try to do it lvl 14, 15, and so on, you'll not be rewarded at all. That beign said, there's a file on nexus that change the level requirement to get rewards on quests to lvl 68.

Here's a image example: http://scr.hu/28ua/j5kg1
@edit forgot the link to the mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/119/?

Sux that they need a week or more to hotfix this , but atleast we have modders at our side ( pc ). (Not bashing console players, i do have consoles too).

Obs: English is not my native language at all, so, i can be a grammar nazi sometimes, sry. As always, remember to enjoy the game.

Peace =)

Last edited:
Well I have managed to narrow it down to being related to player level relative to recommended quest level. At least this is how it is working for me. Different quests have different tolerances though... Pyres of Novigrad works fine as long as i start it below level 12 - starting at 13 rewards no XP, but leveling up to 13 during still yields XP at the end.

Broken Flowers works differently. It will not award any XP to me if I am 14 or over. starting at 12 I get full XP, leveling up to 14 during means some XP, but it stops after level up and beginning the quest at 14 yields no xp at all.

Some of you guys are really starting to make me angry... and some of you are a total disgrace to the whole witcher community. After following this thread from the start and reading every single post, I've started to get the feeling that none of you can ever be satisfied.

There we have developers and publishers like EA and UbiSoft who really don't give a damn about the players because their franchises are so huge that people buy them anyways, no matter how broken or generally bad the game is. Millions are pre-ordering the next BF, COD or AC and just accept it.

And then we have CDPR, who are tiny in comparison to the former mentioned companies. And they start to make things differently, like postponing the release of the Witcher 3 because they felt the game wasn't ready. And they informed the community open and honest. And guess what? Everyone praised them for this bald and unusual step. They really do care about their fans. And the fans repeatedly admitted how much they love CDPR.

And now all that changed because of a bug? Are you people serious? I'm speaking to all of you who are bashing, threatening and even insulting the devs or Marcin. Can't you understand that they are working on it? No fucking one of us here has any clue about developing a game of this size. Don't try to argue about this unless you have worked on a project of similar scale. And therefore no one knows what they have to do to get this fixed. I'm 100 % sure that they are working day and night to get this fixed because I know for a fact that they care. But you people don't remember the 99 good things they've done. No, the only thing you care for is the 1 bad thing. And that's fucking ungrateful.

I demand a little bit of patience and commitment to CDPR from all of you because unlike many other devs and publishers, they have never let their community down before. So just accept the situation like it is and stop asking permanently if the patch is ready yet. It won't come any faster if you do.

Btw, yes, I'm affected as well by the bug and yes, I'm still playing and just enjoying this huge and vast world. Thank you, CD Project RED, for the most immersive RPG I have ever played since Planescape Torment.

The thing is, many people have paid CD Project for a game that's not finished, regardless of what EA and UBI get up to, that pisses me off.

They delayed it 3 months so they could release a finished game, that's great, I applaud that...but it's still a buggy mess from the jerky camera to the obscene framerate in combat on ps4, to the game breaking bug of people playing for hours and not gaining experience. I mean seriously? How did that slip through? cmon man!

They purposely held back footage on consoles prior to release because they knew it wasn't good enough. That is obvious.

The game has been released for over 2 weeks and here we are, still with a semi functioning game. People are entitled to get angry about this whether it is a smaller company like CD project or UBI or EA, releasing a buggy game like this sucks.

I didn't pay $60 to be a Witcher 3 beta tester, I paid for a fully functioning finished game. That's why myself and a lot of other people are angry... and with good reason.

Last edited:
The thing is, many people have paid CD Project for a game that's not finished, regardless of what EA and UBI get up to, that pisses me off.

They delayed it 3 months so they could release a finished game, that's great, I applaud that...but it's still a buggy mess from the jerky camera to the obscene framerate in combat on ps4, to the game breaking bug of people playing for hours and not gaining experience. I mean seriously? How did that slip through? cmon man!

They purposely held back footage on consoles prior to release because they knew it wasn't good enough. That is obvious.

The game has been released for over 2 weeks and here we are, still with a semi functioning game. People are entitled to get angry about this whether it is a smaller company like CD project or UBI or EA, releasing a buggy game like this sucks.

I didn't pay $60 to be a Witcher 3 beta tester, I paid for a fully functioning finished game. That's why myself and a lot of other people are angry... and with good reason.

Agree 100%
This is a beta test with major bugs!

Yup, WTF does that guy think he is 'demanding' anything from anyone. What a tool. Product was paid for last year. Product was delayed, twice, by months. Product finally released is still faulty. People have the absolute right to be angry and disappointed.

It would be different if they offered it as a beta release at reduced cost and developed as people played, knowing it would be bugged... but to charge full bore price and pretend like its done when it is blatantly not....

Wow, I can't believe this XP bug just passed on by during the testing stage. Must be having real trouble fixing it if its taking this long. Not good I got to say, could be another fortnight for console users. Great.....

Of course, everyone is being angry and I can understand that.
But with a game this big and complex, I think it is really hard as a relatively small developer team to actually find _all_ bugs, whereas hundred of thousands of players are more likely to encounter and therefore report them.
So, I wouldn't consider Witcher 3 as "unfinished", because you can't finish something, you don't know of.

I think it is really hard as a relatively small developer team to actually find _all_ bugs, w
So, I wouldn't consider Witcher 3 as "unfinished", because you can't finish something, you don't know of.

CDPR had 230 (not a small dev team) people working on Witcher 3 in addition to this they also have game testers just to find bugs like these. They also delayed it to ensure the quality of the game. Now minor bugs I can understand slipping under the radar but no matter how much CDPR try to downplay it this is no minor bug.

Even so neither of us would have any problems with it if they resolved the issue promtly. Instead we have had a sleuth of blatant lies and mumbojumbo about "around the corner", "does not affect gameplay" etc etc. and now it seems like it might not be likely this week even. Which again means that consoles are most likely 2 weeks of at least.

Games always require some small touch ups here and there but when the core mechanic is faulty something is very very VERY wrong and they certaintly should know of it.

Guys, if you're playing on pc, there's a workaround for the exp "bug" on nexus, Modders discovered that quests are bounded to lvl, example :

Let's get the Broken Flowers quest ( and let's say its bound to give you rewards only if you are lvl 13 or below ), if you try to do it lvl 14, 15, and so on, you'll not be rewarded at all. That beign said, there's a file on nexus that change the level requirement to get rewards on quests to lvl 68.

Here's a image example: http://scr.hu/28ua/j5kg1
@edit forgot the link to the mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/119/?

Sux that they need a week or more to hotfix this , but atleast we have modders at our side ( pc ). (Not bashing console players, i do have consoles too).

Obs: English is not my native language at all, so, i can be a grammar nazi sometimes, sry. As always, remember to enjoy the game.

Peace =)

This mod posted on the previous page fixes the bug... tested, playing now and xp is working again, not only for main quests, but all quests (even grey ones) now give the full xp they could. Thanks you to the two people who posted this. This finally means being able to play the game properly and at my on pace - without worrying about doing things in a sub-optimal order.

It is really easy to install and very easy to uninstall as well, so no fear of cocking up game for future patches.

Last edited:
This mod posted on the previous page fixes the bug... tested, playing now and xp is working again, not only for main quests, but all quests (even grey ones) now give the full xp they could. Thanks you to the two people who posted this. This finally means being able to play the game properly and at my on pace - without worrying about doing things in a sub-optimal order.

It is really easy to install and very easy to uninstall as well, so no fear of cocking up game for future patches.

So that mod fixes green quests too, quests within your recommended range? Cause that's what I'm having the biggest problem with, no XP from green quests. If that is the case, then how in the world did CDPR even let that happen. To have the game show a recommended level in the quest log, and in the code it's down as a completely different number. Just seems like the two would be tied together in some way, or someone would notice. But I'm no programmer, just seems trivial. Whatever, hope they officially get the fix out soon. It's embarrassing that the community fixed it before they did.

BTW I'm on PS4 so I can't actually try it myself.

Top Bottom