Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
Anon, are you getting exactly the right amount of XP or a small percentage more? I'm going back and forth between Nexus and here to try and keep track of the issues people are having. On the Nexus board some people (referring to users of the LATEST file update) are getting a fraction more XP than they should when completing quests.

Obviously this isn't a huge deal since people using the mod are worried about missing XP. I just wanted to check though.
I'm playing with the mod till today in the morning.

Most of the times you geht roughly a bit more or less. Sometimes it seems to be 100% correct. Varies in my opinion.

In the end a a solution i can live with...

Since there is no Patch/Hotfix to be seen.

So guys, do try not to lose proportions. It's not like your credit card data was exposed. It's just a game!!! Give the devs some slack. Even with this bug, thegame is an amazing achievement!

You are clearly delusional, game is in current state is a wreck, might wanna take firm grasp on this thing called reality. Also no one appointed you to tell other people how, when and what should they do.

I'll be doing a test in about an hour for Steam for those who are curious. Seeing as the debug console mod didn't disable them I HIGHLY doubt this does.

---------- Updated at 04:15 PM ----------

Anon, are you getting exactly the right amount of XP or a small percentage more? I'm going back and forth between Nexus and here to try and keep track of the issues people are having. On the Nexus board some people (referring to users of the LATEST file update) are getting a fraction more XP than they should when completing quests.

Obviously this isn't a huge deal since people using the mod are worried about missing XP. I just wanted to check though.

I am using the oldest file there. I have modified the .xml file to be within 5 levels of me, this yields the exact correct xp. Any more than 5 levels above and it starts to dock xp... This file has no mod to the xp values, but they are being scaled down by the game if the level is set to 64. What I have done above fixes it.

Both the other files have a mod to the xp values themselves... and this is causing weird results - some over some under rewards.

I would say, if you have the know how - just mod the original xml and re-inject it every 3-4 levels to give a buffer. it can be done at any time and takes <60s to do.

If not, use the normal version on there - rewards seemed close enough, but a bit odd... as i said some rewards were more, some were less. This is probably due to the author modifying the xp vlaues themselves by a percentage and it not quite working out right.

Last edited:
i find it simply unnacceptable how its already been more than a week now and we still havent gotten this fix that was promised...its a major problem for me considering i cant get any XP when i turn in quests...ive just finished ladies of the wood and im still not getting any XP for turning it in i have tried several times reloading my save and it still refuses to give me xp for it and i am a level 11 and the quest is for a level 6 charachter thats still not under 6 levels and i have seen on youtube that that quest is supposed to give 250 XP for finishing it im starting to lose interest in a game i havent been able to play for almost a full week now...why is it taking so long to release a fix...that should be the PRIMARY concern of this patch/hotfix to hell with all the other fixes bein implemented why not fix the MAJOR problem first...i too agree with so many i dont like having to pay hard earned cash for a game i simply CANNOT play due to a bug that THEY IMPLEMENTED from a stupid ass patch that should have never been needed in the first place...and on top of it i havent seen any update as to when it will be released in the past 4 days so far...come on CDPR were all tired of waiting for u to fix your fuck up

Dear Marcin,
It's been a while since you made a comment in the forums regarding this issue. I just wanted to give it a quick snapshot of what you have said and what I and probably most people in here think.

No. The XP won't be added back for the finished quests. Sorry about this.
This was the initial comment you made about retroactively awarding the lost XP caused by the infamous bug. I do know that you have changed this comment later on by saying;
We are also looking into the possibility of gaining the missing XP retro-actively by the players. Can't promise anything here though.
and
As I said, we are still looking into this option. Can't make any commmitments yet. Sorry.
What is the latest on this? I strongly believe that most of the perfectionist/completionist folk in here would very much like this to happen. I had couple friends delete their 60+ hour save files just to start anew when you push the patch through. Some people deem it unnecesary or irrelevant but with all due respect this does not concern most who get a different kick from playing a RPG. Those that strongly believe such is the case should just refrain from commenting on people who does want their due effort rewarded, XP lost in this particular case.

As we mentioned, this bug doesn't cause too much experience loss in the long run so please enjoy the game during the weekend.

Having seen you say this, I do not believe that you are in fact a completionist because, if you were, you would know that the amount of XP that can potentially be gained over a weekend or in mere hours could be collosal (had absolutely 0 XP throughtout the entire Kaer Morhan bit, imagine that around 4000 XP).

Wanted to give you an update regarding the situation. We are currently working on a huge patch (1.05 for PC / 1.04 on consoles) and we've decided to include the XP fix in these updates. The PC version of the patch is right around the corner - that's why we made the decision to release the XP fix as a part of the patch on computers. At the same time we would like to thank you for your understanding and supporting us.
You are welcome. It's a great game that deserves praise.

In short, what's the current situation of the aforementioned patch and is a potential solution to XP being retroactively being rewarded worked on?
My two cents; for the sake of console players (PS4) in this case I would highly suggest that you look into rewarding the XP since unlike PC players who have access to console and can use other means of rewarding themselves, PS players do not have such luxury and would be unfair.

Peace out.

Dear Marcin,
It's been a while since you made a comment in the forums regarding this issue. I just wanted to give it a quick snapshot of what you have said and what I and probably most people in here think.

This was the initial comment you made about retroactively awarding the lost XP caused by the infamous bug. I do know that you have changed this comment later on by saying;

and

What is the latest on this? I strongly believe that most of the perfectionist/completionist folk in here would very much like this to happen. I had couple friends delete their 60+ hour save files just to start anew when you push the patch through. Some people deem it unnecesary or irrelevant but with all due respect this does not concern most who get a different kick from playing a RPG. Those that strongly believe such is the case should just refrain from commenting on people who does want their due effort rewarded, XP lost in this particular case.

Having seen you say this, I do not believe that you are in fact a completionist because, if you were, you would know that the amount of XP that can potentially be gained over a weekend or in mere hours could be collosal (had absolutely 0 XP throughtout the entire Kaer Morhan bit, imagine that around 4000 XP).

You are welcome. It's a great game that deserves praise.

In short, what's the current situation of the aforementioned patch and is a potential solution to XP being retroactively being rewarded worked on?
My two cents; for the sake of console players (PS4) in this case I would highly suggest that you look into rewarding the XP since unlike PC players who have access to console and can use other means of rewarding themselves, PS players do not have such luxury and would be unfair.

Peace out.

It gets better. Marcin actually gave an additional update yesterday to the polish forum community but has not bothered to update the English understanding community.....

You are clearly delusional, game is in current state is a wreck, might wanna take firm grasp on this thing called reality. Also no one appointed you to tell other people how, when and what should they do.
The game is still one of the best games I've ever played all things considered. I just think that people are losing proportions. Their reactions and comments, and the way they treat the developers is as their lives are dependent on the bug fixes.
Until now the only major bug is the XP 'glitch'.
One of the most signs of how good it is is the metacritic users score of 91. One of the highest ranking games ever by the users.
But you clearly have very high standards, and the game is clearly a wreck.
Peace out

It gets better. Marcin actually gave an additional update yesterday to the polish forum community but has not bothered to update the English understanding community.....
Hey man, got a link for that? We could gtranslate it and post it here for the rest to see.
Thanks a bunch.

It is somewhere here in this long topic. Something to do with their solution will be to give 5 exp for grey quests as compensation.

---------- Updated at 06:23 PM ----------

The game is still one of the best games I've ever played all things considered. I just think that people are losing proportions. Their reactions and comments, and the way they treat the developers is as their lives are dependent on the bug fixes.
Until now the only major bug is the XP 'glitch'.
One of the most signs of how good it is is the metacritic users score of 91. One of the highest ranking games ever by the users.
But you clearly have very high standards, and the game is clearly a wreck.
Peace out

You are very very wrong. There are many serious bugs. One that immediately springs to mind is the brick you cannot interact with in a Novigrad main quest which is decided as you create your new game. You have to completely start anew if it happened to you. I believe that has been fixed now. There are many more serious bugs.

Seems so many people really REALLY love this game, as is why it is almost insulting that they practically had a hotfix ready, then decided not to release it as they basically said they would. Instead they leave us hanging like this.

Imagine a RPG where the xp system doesnt work... Its one of, if not, the most important thing in an rpg as its THE clear indication of our characters journey through the game and its increasing power. The other, gear is also tied to xp for use, so theres that aswell.. I can't fathom how a bug such as this got through. And I understand full well the people thats hesitant to play until a fix is in place. Im hesitant myself as I dont really want to invest many many hours in a character that maybe (or maybe not) will be damaged from this. Thing is one can't be sure as we don't know enough really. For the record, I dont trust the pr guy's statement that it doesnt really matter if we get xp from quests or not.

I really really want to play again, and I can't wait for the patch and xp fix.. I hope it comes sooner rather than later, and its clear to me that this has been a communication clusterfuck from the developers side...

Seems so many people really REALLY love this game, as is why it is almost insulting that they practically had a hotfix ready, then decided not to release it as they basically said they would. Instead they leave us hanging like this.

Imagine a RPG where the xp system doesnt work... Its one of, if not, the most important thing in an rpg as its THE clear indication of our characters journey through the game and its increasing power. The other, gear is also tied to xp for use, so theres that aswell.. I can't fathom how a bug such as this got through. And I understand full well the people thats hesitant to play until a fix is in place. Im hesitant myself as I dont really want to invest many many hours in a character that maybe (or maybe not) will be damaged from this. Thing is one can't be sure as we don't know enough really. For the record, I dont trust the pr guy's statement that it doesnt really matter if we get xp from quests or not.

I really really want to play again, and I can't wait for the patch and xp fix.. I hope it comes sooner rather than later, and its clear to me that this has been a communication clusterfuck from the developers side...

Careful what you say towards the devs... There are some people here that will brand you an entitled crybaby if you so much as express your disappointment towards the game... It is then usually followed by somewhere along the lines of "still one of the greatest games ever made" "do something else with your time instead of complaining in the forums" "give the devs some slack, games this huge take a long time to fix" etc. Dont even bother telling them you paid for a fully functional game and that theres game breaking bugs, theyll just blow past all that.

Yeah I agree, i don't understand how someone can defend how this was handled.
One can give respect to the devs for the game, its a marvellous game really. And I and many others seem to love it. Its the culmination of years of work for the devs, and it shows.

How this and other bugs are handled (but imo most notably this no xp thingy with the hotfix and all that) does in my mind not deserve respect. It should have been handled very differently.

Yeah I agree, i don't understand how someone can defend how this was handled.
One can give respect to the devs for the game, its a marvellous game really. And I and many others seem to love it. Its the culmination of years of work for the devs, and it shows.

How this and other bugs are handled (but imo most notably this no xp thingy with the hotfix and all that) does in my mind not deserve respect. It should have been handled very differently.

For some reason most of the people here are extremely apologetic towards CD Projekt Red and fail to see any shortcomings on their behalf, even when they are large in scope. This exp bug has prevented me from playing for a week and I'm just wondering how Marcin hasn't given us feedback in days, let alone failed to put out a patch or hotfix. When it is finally ready, he'll give us a big apology and everyone will commend him and the team for work well done on patching the game. It's utter bullshit.

Do the XP bug also have an effect of giving some quests much lower XP reward than they should? I swear a few XP i've gotten from quests seems ridiculously low....

Keep praising the game, those who did, probably the frustrated or disappointed customers, who payed for this game just like you, prefer writing on forums and waiting for a game-breaking fix over playing the game because it's just a "glitch", CDPRoject best dev ever, awesome game.

A developer can be evaluated by the post-release process as well, not just by the released product. Every game has a lifetime and releasing it is usually just half of the work to be done. And CDPRoject failed that part epicly, it's a fact, blind fanboys, awesome game or not, it's not stable enough or has one or more game-breaking bug that renders it unplayable for some.

When it is finally ready, he'll give us a big apology and everyone will commend him and the team for work well done on patching the game. It's utter bullshit.
Assuming all the problems addressed have been fixed for good and the lost XP is rewarded for those who care deeply for it.
Awesome game or not, it's not stable enough or has one or more game-breaking bug that renders it unplayable for some.
And that, is the truth.

Last edited:
Think some of you need to calm down a little, and this is coming from someone who is both affected by the XP bug (among others), and is a little disappointed in the way it's been handled.

I know a lot of you may disagree with me, and some of you may think this is funny...but if CDPR doesn't get their shit together, and people stop playing the game in a significant manner...i see this game being in the 5.99$ bargain bin at Walmart.

Great game on paper, but one that has just been atrociously marred by bugs. Information that has been horribly sketchy at best, the playerbase is still waiting for something, anything to be done. As well as the remorse for such problems has fallen very cold and flat

Top Bottom