Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
Quick fix for the weekend:

Debug console :
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/28/

Questlist + XP Reward ( google translator + figuring quest name out if you aren't german :p )
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-w...ieletipps/komplettloesung,49062,16054,13.html

I do quests, if I get no xp for the quest I quickly look it up and add me the xp via console. // addexp (xxx)
If I get the missing XP via patch I do // setlevel (xx) and // addexp (missing xp)

Thank you for this amazing game though, def. GOTY for now :)

this is getting increasingly annoying. A lot of this has been covered already, but i feel like i need to add to the masses to make the actual scale of the problem a bit more visible.

The game itself, bugs aside, is awesome. An outstanding achievement in many ways, which makes it all the more painful when people are forced to make week long breaks in a downright addictive game such as this.

The vast majority of people do not understand the nature of software development. They are not a seasoned business customer who had a few tailored pieces of software made for them and understands the nature of estimates in the business. These people will be very dissapointed by having an estimate for monday, then wednesday, then "we can't really tell".

Things do not look a lot better from the perspective of someone who knows the nature of software development, though. Having this sort of a bug even in the field, for a vital and basic functionality in an rpg game, with such problems to fix and estimate, spells major problems with test coverage and/or the integration process. Having been blown away with the game initially i already preordered the extensions, but i expect improvements in this regard.

Finally, community communication. This part is absolutely abysmal. In a quest-xp centered game, downplaying the bug as "insignificant" is a terrible idea when there are those on the forums who say they have no more quests to do, seeing as they did not get any xp for the ones that were meant for their level and the higher ones are obviously unbalanced for their characters. There is also a question of how many people will run into this bug and not visit the forums, only to find that with, say, 80 hours of gameplay they are now stuck with an underleveled character, have no spare "healthy" saves to revert to, and don't know how many quest rewards they have missed so they will have to "eyeball" the missing xp with a third party mod enabling the debug console. Meanwhile, there is no one clear, readable place with the latest info (a stickied, closed thread with daily updates?), which leaves the forums to descend into pure (and understandable) frustration. And removing older "inconvenient" tweets with estimates... How anybody could have thought that this is not a terrible idea (let alone anyone professionally dealing with internet communities) is absolutely beyond me. All this while joyfully announcing success and new merchandise.

You were the chosen one cd projekt red. Your policies towards pricing, pre-ordering, dlcs, drm, platform management are great and worth supporting. They built trust and support in the community. And now you seem to be testing how much easier it is to destroy trust than build it. You are very close to getting a firm answer.

this

Wish us console owners weren't so screwed on this Not only are we going to have to wait at least a week after the PC patch drops to get it fixed we have no ability to fix it ourselves with command like tweaks or mods. Red seriously need to be brining out daily updates on the status until the issue is fixed.

Wish us console owners weren't so screwed on this Not only are we going to have to wait at least a week after the PC patch drops to get it fixed we have no ability to fix it ourselves with command like tweaks or mods. Red seriously need to be brining out daily updates on the status until the issue is fixed.
I guess there is a "secret way" to launch console commands, could be great if they slow us to use that, I have lost already more than 2.5 Xp :/

I guess there is a "secret way" to launch console commands, could be great if they slow us to use that, I have lost already more than 2.5 Xp :/
I assume that's only for PC. I don't think there's any hidden console commands for Xbox or PS4.

This is getting increasingly annoying. A lot of this has been covered already, but I feel like I need to add to the masses to make the actual scale of the problem a bit more visible.

The game itself, bugs aside, is awesome. An outstanding achievement in many ways, which makes it all the more painful when people are forced to make week long breaks in a downright addictive game such as this.

The vast majority of people do not understand the nature of software development. They are not a seasoned business customer who had a few tailored pieces of software made for them and understands the nature of estimates in the business. These people will be very dissapointed by having an estimate for Monday, then Wednesday, then "we can't really tell".

Things do not look a lot better from the perspective of someone who knows the nature of software development, though. Having this sort of a bug even in the field, for a vital and basic functionality in an RPG game, with such problems to fix and estimate, spells major problems with test coverage and/or the integration process. Having been blown away with the game initially I already preordered the extensions, but I expect improvements in this regard.

Finally, community communication. This part is absolutely abysmal. In a quest-XP centered game, downplaying the bug as "insignificant" is a terrible idea when there are those on the forums who say they have no more quests to do, seeing as they did not get any XP for the ones that were meant for their level and the higher ones are obviously unbalanced for their characters. There is also a question of how many people will run into this bug and not visit the forums, only to find that with, say, 80 hours of gameplay they are now stuck with an underleveled character, have no spare "healthy" saves to revert to, and don't know how many quest rewards they have missed so they will have to "eyeball" the missing XP with a third party mod enabling the debug console. Meanwhile, there is no one clear, readable place with the latest info (a stickied, closed thread with daily updates?), which leaves the forums to descend into pure (and understandable) frustration. And removing older "inconvenient" tweets with estimates... how anybody could have thought that this is not a terrible idea (let alone anyone professionally dealing with internet communities) is absolutely beyond me. All this while joyfully announcing success and new merchandise.

You were the chosen one CD PROJEKT RED. Your policies towards pricing, pre-ordering, DLCs, DRM, platform management are great and worth supporting. They built trust and support in the community. And now you seem to be testing how much easier it is to destroy trust than build it. You are very close to getting a firm answer.

well said, especially last paragraph

Have you done everything up to skellige (except high level side quests and contracts)? Even with the ex bug I ended up being level 21 when I was completely done with velen and Novigrad and headed for skellige. This was also when I first learned of the exp bug and noticed that I was actually affected by it, too without really knowing how much exp I missed.

What I want to tell you is: Just keep playing the game.
I eventually did so. I installed a mod, that would allow me to give myself exp via console-commands because I thought it was necessary. But more about that later. So I finished skellige and a couple of side quests and contracts that wanted me to do stuff back on the continent and got no exp for it. After that however, the main quest-line began to award exp again.. massive, massive amounts of exp.
I gave myself 2000 exp for getting nothing on skellige, as I thought that would be the minimum I should have gotten for 3 contracts, a bunch of sidequests and the full main storyline there. So exactly one level. I finished the game yesterday and ended up reaching level 35. Without my little "cheat" I would have been level 34. Guess what: That doesn't matter. The best witcher gear is for level 31, which is also the level of your enemies in the final quests. In addition to that I ended up having 5 surplus ability points that I didn't spend anymore, because I already used all 12 slots that become available and I didn't even get all the places of power on skellige and Kaer Morhen.

So if you are facing Skellige right now and are at a somewhat similar to me (20-21): Just finish the game. It makes no difference. It's just a matter of how hard you outlevel the final bosses. You'll be able to equip all the best gear. The exp from the main story AFTER skellige (which is when it starts to work again) just kicks like a mule and your level skyrockets. You'll find yourself doing a step of the main story, entering it at, say, level 23 and by the time you are able to travel to a blacksmith or do contracts again you are level 28.

I assume you're playing on the PC.

Would it be safe to say that this method of just playing it through and dealing with it would work on Xbox or PS4 as well?

I'm at level 20 and I'm literally all over the map. Skellige, Velen/Novigrad, etc. White Orchard is completed to 100% though. I still have lots of ??? to uncover as well as side quests, contracts, treasure hunts, etc. in Skellige & Velen/Novigrad.

Where is the patch? You guys are a f*cking joke! Your community manager said the hotfix was ready but want to release it with the patch. What a bad idea.

Now release the goddamn hotfix.

I assume that's only for PC. I don't think there's any hidden console commands for Xbox or PS4.
Not sure,but, I guess testers need to test loads of things on console too, and again, I guess they will have console commands for their work.

I don't know if keep going or not on the main so far isn't hard etc but I'm loosing too many xp and I don't have more green side quest:S

This is getting increasingly annoying. A lot of this has been covered already, but I feel like I need to add to the masses to make the actual scale of the problem a bit more visible.

The vast majority of people do not understand the nature of software development. They are not a seasoned business customer who had a few tailored pieces of software made for them and understands the nature of estimates in the business. These people will be very dissapointed by having an estimate for Monday, then Wednesday, then "we can't really tell".

Things do not look a lot better from the perspective of someone who knows the nature of software development, though. Having this sort of a bug even in the field, for a vital and basic functionality in an RPG game, with such problems to fix and estimate, spells major problems with test coverage and/or the integration process. Having been blown away with the game initially I already preordered the extensions, but I expect improvements in this regard.

Finally, community communication. This part is absolutely abysmal. In a quest-XP centered game, downplaying the bug as "insignificant" is a terrible idea when there are those on the forums who say they have no more quests to do, seeing as they did not get any XP for the ones that were meant for their level and the higher ones are obviously unbalanced for their characters. There is also a question of how many people will run into this bug and not visit the forums, only to find that with, say, 80 hours of gameplay they are now stuck with an underleveled character, have no spare "healthy" saves to revert to, and don't know how many quest rewards they have missed so they will have to "eyeball" the missing XP with a third party mod enabling the debug console. Meanwhile, there is no one clear, readable place with the latest info (a stickied, closed thread with daily updates?), which leaves the forums to descend into pure (and understandable) frustration. And removing older "inconvenient" tweets with estimates... how anybody could have thought that this is not a terrible idea (let alone anyone professionally dealing with internet communities) is absolutely beyond me. All this while joyfully announcing success and new merchandise.

You were the chosen one CD PROJEKT RED. Your policies towards pricing, pre-ordering, DLCs, DRM, platform management are great and worth supporting. They built trust and support in the community. And now you seem to be testing how much easier it is to destroy trust than build it. You are very close to getting a firm answer.

Very well said!

Where is the patch? You guys are a f*cking joke! Your community manager said the hotfix was ready but want to release it with the patch. What a bad idea.

Now release the goddamn hotfix.

Сommunity manager is on holiday. He even don't answer (appear) on twitter.

Finally, after a week, ask refund on steam.
I'm not a beta tester from CDPR

yes, its a great idea, more people ask for refund, i selled my copy this week. Thats what they must get for silence, no hotfixes, people cant play for week and half

People want to use product they buy, not sitting and looking on it. We dont give a f*ck about how big next patch will be, we want our product which we pay for 60 f*cking dollars. CDPR, you r even worse then Ubisoft. Happy weekends, you dont deserve them

yes, its a great idea, more people ask for refund, i selled my copy this week. Thats what they must get for silence, no hotfixes, people cant play for week and half

People want to use product they buy, not sitting and looking on it. We dont give a f*ck about how big next patch will be, we want our product which we pay for 60 f*cking dollars. CDPR, you r even worse then Ubisoft. Happy weekends, you dont deserve them

So are you going to buy the game again when the patch hits?

Seriously unless you're having problem running the game (crashing, not starting up, etc), the patch WILL come. About the only thing they didn't handle properly is the communication, but they have been working on the patch and also this awesome game. I personally just think they do not deserve all this flack about the patch delay and the comments from group of people here have been absolutely horrible.

Come on, people. They are people with lives, just like you. They work, go home, spend time with their family and the fact that they managed to release this game is already an achievement. Give them a break, the patch WILL come in due time. If you really are bothered by the XP, can always install the mod as a temporary workaround or cheat a bit to give yourself the XP. There are also tons of people out there (and mods) to help you get some kind of a fix for your issues. Most of all, be patient.

The people who have been calling CDPR worse than ubisoft or EA, you REALLY need a reality check. The fact that they give everyone free DLC and the game having no DRM (let alone not chasing any pirates out there, which I assume there are tons) already makes them much better than EA, ubisoft, or even 2k/rockstar.

I know I sound like an apologist, but give them credit where its due. Yes, they need to work on the communication with the fans but they are under no obligation to tell you every minutiae detail of the development (great when they did that). Enjoy the game, contribute, dont do personal attack. Come on, guys, we as a gamer (and fan of witcher) is better than that.

NOTE: I'm also way frustrated with waiting for the patch. I'm this close to installing a mod so I can continue playing (been waiting to continue the game), but I have other games that i can play and other activities to do. I'm sure you guys can do the same!

for a patch that fixed various bugs on the stuttering frame rate or other defects such as subtitles (I'm Italian I have to read the dialogue would not otherwise understand perfectly) can also expect a two weeks without any problem .. but for a defect as that of exp I do not accept to wait more than a week! since it does not give me more exp I stopped playing since in a rpg level the character is the first thing! could very well release a quick update for this serious bug and then more in the release a patch more complete, this makes us understand how the software house now do not prove their games properly!It was enough to make him play 3 4 as testers and bug could be fixed with the patch on day one!

---------- Updated at 02:02 PM ----------

Seriously unless you're having problem running the game (crashing, not starting up, etc), the patch WILL come. About the only thing they didn't handle properly is the communication, but they have been working on the patch and also this awesome game. I personally just think they do not deserve all this flack about the patch delay and the comments from group of people here have been absolutely horrible.

Come on, people. They are people with lives, just like you. They work, go home, spend time with their family and the fact that they managed to release this game is already an achievement. Give them a break, the patch WILL come in due time. If you really are bothered by the XP, can always install the mod as a temporary workaround or cheat a bit to give yourself the XP. There are also tons of people out there (and mods) to help you get some kind of a fix for your issues. Most of all, be patient.

The people who have been calling CDPR worse than ubisoft or EA, you REALLY need a reality check. The fact that they give everyone free DLC and the game having no DRM (let alone not chasing any pirates out there, which I assume there are tons) already makes them much better than EA, ubisoft, or even 2k/rockstar.

I know I sound like an apologist, but give them credit where its due. Yes, they need to work on the communication with the fans but they are under no obligation to tell you every minutiae detail of the development (great when they did that). Enjoy the game, contribute, dont do personal attack. Come on, guys, we as a gamer (and fan of witcher) is better than that.

NOTE: I'm also way frustrated with waiting for the patch. I'm this close to installing a mod so I can continue playing (been waiting to continue the game), but I have other games that i can play and other activities to do. I'm sure you guys can do the same!
for one that plays on the PC the problem of exp can also be bypassed and ignored with mod tricks etc. but for those who play on consoles? what can those who play on consoles?You can only stop playing because if it goes on forever lose the exp and compromises the leveling of that game! this is a serious bug and as such should be solved as soon as possible!

It is a bank holiday now in Poland, most of people is off till monday so give them rest :) If patch will give exp for quest you alredy did then there is no point for waiting, you can play safely, you will get your exp eventually.

It is a bank holiday now in Poland, most of people is off till monday so give them rest :) If patch will give exp for quest you alredy did then there is no point for waiting, you can play safely, you will get your exp eventually.
the exp lost will not be returned with the patch! It has been said many times by the same Momot so you can not play if you go ahead otherwise you're certain that the xp missions made not see them again certainly never in the game in progress!

Top Bottom