Addressing the no XP Glitch

+
I've been reading a lot of posts, and there seem to still be a lot of confusion about how the xp works, people still complaining about getting 5 xp, yet they fail to notice, the quest is out of range (aka you are too high level for it). One of the problems seem to be that because this thread is "HUGE", people dont bother reading through it and miss some important information. So I'm going to repost what Mighty91's said which clarifies most of the stuff, hopefully CDPR will make something a small sticky thread, maybe "XP game mechanics - READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING" (just a suggestion), for people to understand how things work before complaining about a bug:

4) You get less xp for higher difficulties, so if you notice you are getting like 80% only, it's normal, it's not a bug.

I reckon most people have cross referenced the experience they're receiving from quests to YouTube videos, and most people probably know grey coloured quests are ones you have out-leveled. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to clarify this.

I reckon most people have cross referenced the experience they're receiving from quests to YouTube videos, and most people probably know grey coloured quests are ones you have out-leveled. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to clarify this.

So when people say they don't get ANY exp for ANY GREEN or RED quest AFTER the patch - what is it? You think they're jocking or what?

Right, but that was never the case. You never received 0 XP for everything. It was just SOME quest were shown as green in game but were in fact lower level in game files resulting in 0 XP rewards.

So when people say they don't get ANY exp for ANY GREEN or RED quest AFTER the patch - what is it? You think they're jocking or what?

I'm confused. Of course I don't think people are messing about, I previously mentioned that I'm affected too.

First of all, The Witcher 3 is a remarkable game, it’s one of the greatest role-playing games I've played thus far…I don’t enjoy voicing my displeasure of video games, and it’s disappointing seeing and reading fellow gamers berating. But, I'm unsettled at the moment due to feeling as if Patch 1.05 hasn’t properly resolved the experience bug. Prior I wasn’t receiving any experience points after completing a quest within five levels, and now I’m receiving very little experience points upon completing quests.

Prior to 1.05 I eventually stopped receiving experience points from quests that were green and red. When I updated to patch 1.05 I received the right amount of experience points for three main quests (20% less as I'm playing Dearth March difficulty), and then all of a sudden I'm getting 5-10 experience points completing quests.

I just don't know what was wrong with the good old XP system, where you just get fixed XP points for every quest or enemy, and only the XP needed for the next level increase.

Now my explorer tactic is screwed, and i just don't know how i will blindly follow quest now, without exploring everything on my path.

There is certain pleasure when you barely kill overleveled monster and give you lot of XP for your level, or destroying whole village with underleveled bandits in a matter of seconds.

That all was my choice to make, an that is why I love Gothic series, with their brutal XP system :)

Plus like a bonus there are too many confused player who don't understand this new type of XP system, despite the ones who don't like it.

So my question to Cd Projekt Red is why?

It's almost as if the game is undermining the whole non-linear thing by pushing you into having to do quests at certain points or else they become worthless. Seems rather illogical, tbh.
Since returning I've been paying more attention to what levels the quests are and doing the lowest ones first, which often involves fast travelling back and forth from Skellige to Novigrad, and really breaks the immersion. So even if the XP worked 100% as intended for everyone, it could still be rather frustrating.
I mean I understand doing story quests in a certain order, but maybe (eg) I don't want to stop Triss' quest line half way through to run an errand before I become too overlevelled to do it. Seems rather silly to me, on reflection.

I still don't understand what's so bad in completing the quests after they turn grey? So you will get less XP, so what?

It's not like Withcher 3 is doing something, that others RPGs do not. Lower level quests will grant you less rewards. Or what, do you want like 1000 XP for a level 6 quest you completed at level 20? Would you really feel like you accomplished something after killing the monster in two hits?

Last edited:
I still don't understand what's so bad in completing the quests after they turn grey? So you will get less XP, so what?

It's not like Withcher 3 is doing something, that others RPGs do not. Lower level quests will grant you less rewards. Or what, do you want like 1000 XP for a level 6 quest you completed at level 20? Would you really feel like you accomplished something after killing the monster in two hits?

In other RPGs the total amount of XP from the quests is there. That is why the next level need more XP than the previous.

This is so inconsistent math, and I bet they will have hard time lining everything up in the future story DLC.

Plus because grinding mobs in this game is not quite rewarding, you can't just repair this inconsistent by that.

I'm interested how much XP will can theoretically lose if you complete the game in the worst manner possible?

To answer your question:

1. It's not possible to be a completionist and also avoid quests going grey. Even if you obsess over doing every single quest in the game in the exact order of their level from lowest to highest--which is silly because it would involve repeatedly traveling from one of the the world to the other--you will eventually end up 6+ levels above some of them. Death March in 1.05 will mitigate this somewhat, but a flat -20% experience penalty is a terrible design decision as it will almost certainly make it impossible to use mastercrafted gear, and without a lot of grinding/exploiting you will very likely only be able to even equip superior gear in the final hour or two of the game. I don't want to be locked out of the best gear because of a dumb band-aid fix to a much larger problem.

2. Red/Green/Grey suggested level is based on quest_levels.csv while the actual xp awarded on completion is based on values stored in rewards.xml. The levels in those files do not always match up, so you can have a green quest in your journal which is actually grey, but there is no way to know this without reading the files.

3. The entire questing/leveling progression just feels WRONG. Destination: Skellige tells me I should be level 16 before I go there. Furthermore, this also implies that I should do everything in Novigrad first (which also makes sense from an immersion standpoint, as repeatedly traveling back and forth from Skellige to Velen is unrealistic). Actually doing everything in Novigrad and Velen, however, will put you at minimum around level 18, more likely 19 or 20 if you're doing POIs, hunts, and all sidequests you come across. Then you finally head to Skellige and what do you find? A whole bunch of quests that range from 11 to 15, with about half of them already grey and more that will turn grey if you do the main quest before seeking them out.

Right. That actually didn't answer my question at all but OK.

You see, you're not going to be locked up out of anything. There are more quests in the game then what you need to do to get to level 35 by A LOT. It won't prevent you from using anything. You just need to do more quests on higher difficulty. That's all. And by that I mean green quests. And you will have more green quests available to you on higher difficulty, 'cause you level up slowly. There is nothing wrong with that system. The only thing it does is forcing people on higher difficulty to complete more quests.

The entire questing/leveling progression just feels WRONG. Destination: Skellige tells me I should be level 16 before I go there. Furthermore, this also implies that I should do everything in Novigrad first (which also makes sense from an immersion standpoint, as repeatedly traveling back and forth from Skellige to Velen is unrealistic)

Exactly the problem...areas should be grouped by quest levels rather than having to travel back and forth. Or random enemies you find in the wild should scale with your level...I came across both level 9 and level 30 enemies whilst travelling across Ard Skellig, following the suggested route for "The Family Blade". That's silly design for an (apparently) level 15 quest.

Note: I'm loving the game regardless.

Last edited:
the reason the game does that lower and higher level enemies on all 3 areas novigrad velen and skellige is becuz of the stupid flawed design at the beggining of the first act where they give u the opportunity to go to either of the 3 areas at any given time to start your quest which is retarded so they felt the need to leave low and high level quests in each area for people who dont wanna do it in a specific order which to me is absolutely idiotic the story should have been go here first then go here then lastly go here not oh hey go where u want then go there then there later...it should have been in a specific order story wise the story design is flawed thats all but the game is still great...they just made idiotic decision on allowing u to do the story in any order u wish thats the problem...i havent even left velen yet and im already midway thru level 11 with 22 more quest/contracts left to do in velen...i wont progress to novigrad till im completely done with velen thats how a game should be played not bouncing back and forth cuz that just seems idiotic to me...whoever was in charge at CDPR for the design of story flow should be fired...i swear in my entire 30 years of gaming ive never played an RPG with a more flawed story flowing arc as this game...its just dumb design decision...from the very moment i finished the prologue and seen the option to go to 3 different places to start my story quest i was already realizing that it was gonna be a mess of a story all over the place...not by any means saying the story is bad cuz its great but havin it bounce all over the place like that is just retarded...it should have been velen first then novigrad then skellige last not mix and match however u like...totally flawed if u ask me especially since they have lower level quests in each area that give no reward at all if ur too high a level...never in a video game in my life have i seen such a dumb ass design decision

Last edited:
Running patch 1.05 on PC, I'm now getting very, very low XP for finishing quests. I am level 24 and I just completed Kings Gambit, which gave me 5 XP. Immediately after that I finished Brothers in Arms: Skellige and I only got 50 XP for completing this quest. I never got low XP before this patch, but now I do.

Damn. They didn't fix it at all? There's really a problem when you do a quest below your level and don't get NO XP AT ALL.

Running patch 1.05 on PC, I'm now getting very, very low XP for finishing quests. I am level 24 and I just completed Kings Gambit, which gave me 5 XP. Immediately after that I finished Brothers in Arms: Skellige and I only got 50 XP for completing this quest. I never got low XP before this patch, but now I do.

King's Gambit is one of the quests that is still glitched in 1.05, but the glitch is that it's a suggested level 18 quest that is really only level 16. Even if it had been fixed in the patch, 18 is still 6 levels below you at 24 and it would be grey. 5xp is all you were going to get no matter what. Unfortunate, because that quest is worth a lot of experience if you add up all the sub-steps.

50 xp for Brothers in Arms: Skellige is the correct reward for that quest on normal difficulty.

So are treasure hunt quests that give schematics for Witcher gear supposed to give experience?
Because I am in the 6 level range and am not getting experience for completing them.

So are treasure hunt quests that give schematics for Witcher gear supposed to give experience?
Because I am in the 6 level range and am not getting experience for completing them.
As much as i recall those Treasure Hunt - Quest don't give exp generally (no matter the level)...

So Main Quests, even if you're "overlevelled" should give the full amount of XP regardless of your level? Is that right?

Top Bottom