Advanced graphic stuff, actually worse?

+
It seems that every time I come back to play after a hiatus there has been a major update and everything is so changed that I usually have to reinstall the game and start from scratch. I usually find graphical problems- sometimes the same problems I had already fixed in a previous version, but I have forgotten how I fixed them the other time.
This time around I actually changed card (from old to a bit less old), I used to have a 1660 which couldn't handle a lot of stuff but the game looked and performed fine. Now I have a 2080 and while after tweaking it overall looks better, it has not so good performance and also some things that look terrible.
One is volumetric fog. This is supposedly a great thing. The game defaults to "high" which causes a haze to be seen everywhere, even interiors, which becomes terrible where smoke or vapor actually occur and around all light sources. I finally figured how to disable volumetric fog and volumetric cloud, it can't be done entirely from in-game but must be done by an ini tweak. With volumetric fog off, fog, vapor and smoke in the game actually looks 100% better and realistic, like real life. Go figure.
Then there's ray tracing which supposedly is a great novelty. After tweaking all the settings to my taste, I still was having a bad problem with faces, which looked pasty and stiff, like zombies. Johnny, Mama Welles, the vendor in V's building, Delamain, all looked terrible. I kept tweaking and trying stuff without luck and wondering why this could be, until I thought, what is really new in this update? Ray tracing. I disabled it and magic! Faces returned to normal. Overall the whole world looks cleaner. Go figure again.
New and more advanced isn't always better.

Whats this about? If you don't like ray tracing, then turn it off. But for those who like a bit of realistic lighting, it is better to turn it on.
Post automatically merged:

So, I use ray tracing. And to show you why, I made a comparison. I think it looks better with RT on
RT Compare.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how it can be worse since it's a massive improvement in pretty much every aspect of the game. Here are some of my own slider comparisons from Steam forums;
*comparisons can be changed at the top of the comparison bar*

At the start I played without RTX, but after testing and comparing I've decided to rather play with RTX on at 60FPS fully maxed than without it at 90-120FPS. I could never go back to non-RTX lighting in Cyberpunk, it just brings so much life to the game.

Hey,
personally, I can't see the difference in image quality (too much) (when I am focused on what's happening in the game).

When I am watching someone doing a review of a game, and he says that it runs the best on Full HD 4K 8K 200 FPS, psycho RTX, SSD, Volumetric Clouds, Nvidia Hair Works (haha), Unreal Engine 6, RTX 42069, cloud saves, Steam, AMD Fidelity FX, with a vibrating controller and VR glasses,...
...my brain just shuts down.

The (integration of the) new technologies seems to be broken, as they produce artefacts and stuff...

Personally, I think making all the roads constantly wet and highly reflective serves as a showcase of what new lighting technologies can do. Still, it's not necessary and gets repetitive very quickly.

Also, I think there are technologies for many "cool" things which appeal to the eyes and the current game development meta - like fireballs made of particles, breakable glass, responsive water,..., - all of this looks impressive in 30 seconds long trailer - but not e.g. some interesting AI, seasons, navigation systems, etc...

So, to sum it up, I kind of agree with OP - it's not ready and not necessary.

P.S. - a thought - if you would replace all of these dynamic things and technologies from CP with "static"/fake ones - day/night cycle, NPC schedules, traffic AI, crowd and its AI, volumetric effects, vegetation, water, reflections,... - the game could still look very nice, but might perform much better. Just my opinion though.

personally, I can't see the difference in image quality (too much) (when I am focused on what's happening in the game).
Everyone is different, but after playing with Path Tracing previw on, I really can't go back. It's such a huge difference to me, it's so much more than a gimmick (even if it's not perfect., yet). I know because I tried going back to RTX Psycho after a while, and I just... couldn't do it. So even if full PT takes its toll on my framerate, and creates some weird artifacts under specific circumstances, I'm ready to make this compromise.

Then there's ray tracing which supposedly is a great novelty. After tweaking all the settings to my taste, I still was having a bad problem with faces, which looked pasty and stiff, like zombies. Johnny, Mama Welles, the vendor in V's building, Delamain, all looked terrible.

OP, perhaps you could try this other .ini tweak? Don't know if it's exactly the same issue but it's worth a shot...

I have to admit: in the current state, the game actually runs well (enough. (for me thats 25 fps lowest) and looks good. I have an old system with a 3070.

Even when driving a vehicle at high speed, the FPS maintains decent with the stutter almost gone.

The game is now where I hoped it would've been at launch.

Top Bottom