Advice for Witcher N00Bs? Armour, Character Builds

+
Advice for Witcher N00Bs? Armour, Character Builds

I came from playing Skyrim so obviously the game play is quite different than what I am used to, especially combat.

I am a little overwhelmed with this amazing game, especially about getting better armour, weapons and building my character. Also, alchemy, using bombs, and keeping him healthy during battle. I'm getting my ass handed to me regularly, lol. Any tips for me?

Tuco

Forum veteran
Brief guide about gearing up:

at the beginning of the game, craft the two serpentine swords.
At level 4, buy the temerian armor form the merchant in White Orchard.
At level 10, buy the Nilfgaardian armor and start looking for the first Griffin set.
From that point on, especially after level 15, pretty much care just about hunting down Witcher Gear and relative upgrades with treasure hunts, and ignore any other equipment in the game.

--You can turn off the "?" that appear to make exploration more organic. Thus, you will find discoveries on your own and its more exciting. The downside to this is missing out on part of a upgradable item - if you don't find the base potion to make for example, Black Blood, finding Enhanced Black Blood won't let you make it until the beginner potion is found.

--There is a potion available to respec your abilities, so don't be afraid to try things out.

--IF you plan on making a lot of bombs and potions, hoard the herbs and fallen monster pieces. You never know what you will need.

--SIgns: Igni and Quen are probably the handiest to use.

--Find and use places of power, White Orchard (the starting area) has 6. Some are unguarded. Thats easy ability points right there.

Best thing to do for me was to try and explore all the question marks that are relevant to my level and witcher contracts. Play gwent with as many people as you can, and optionally read the books, letters, notices, and listen in on random conversations as well.

Don't be afraid of sprinting out of combat and regather yourself especially in case of bandit camp encounters .
Quen is your friend .
Also potion swallow is helpful .

Tuco

Forum veteran
quen is your best friend
Nah, Quen abusing is playing safely but in the dullest possible way.
All that "protection" comes at serious expenses of your offensive capabilities.

It's the Dark Souls equivalent of going "full Havel" and with your shield constantly up.

Brief guide about gearing up:

at the beginning of the game, craft the two serpentine swords.
At level 4, buy the temerian armor form the merchant in White Orchard.
At level 10, buy the Nilfgaardian armor and start looking for the first Griffin set.
From that point on, especially after level 15, pretty much care just about hunting down Witcher Gear and relative upgrades with treasure hunts, and ignore any other equipment in the game.

This

and those Serpentine swords are part of a quest so make sure you explore White Orchard carefully.

Better yet, play with a controller.
It's remarkably more responsive, especially in combat.

The game is perfectly playable with keyboard & mouse, never noticed any input lag.

Well, if you want to fully understand and enjoy the game, take your time and prepare before fighting something, also, make sure you use the journal, it contains important information about characters, monsters etc.

The monster part is importand since it basically tells you about the monster's weaknesses.

A sign that is easy to use and that will never fail you is Quen, make sure you use it when fighting.

Take advantage of the signs, also when fighting monsters don't try to parry their attacks, dodge them.

If you want to get lots of orens and buy good stuff, LOOT EVERYTHING (casual gamer) then sell the junk on merchants. Some merchants might offer a lot more for an item, so before selling it , check the prices of other merchants too.

That's basically it, google is your best friend, but the journal, that's freaking important.

For people who care about input lag and notice it, I guess?

If you're out for good looking armours that will hold their own in the late and mid games, I suggest the Ursine and Skellige armours. Absolutely badass.

For a build, the easiest to begin with and generally the one with the highest DPS is a signs build, put all of your points into signs, as well as on into the Griffin School Training, grab the Griffin Witcher Set, and get going on whooping some ass.

As for what to put your points into, the first 2 levels of Quen are great, all levels of Igni are amazing, and Aard and Axii are kind of interchangeable, they both serve the purpose of not getting your ass beat in 1v5 or more situations. Yrden is not generally something I skill into, but if you want more DPS on your buil,d get the second skill in Yrden.

Don't worry if you don't search all Treasure Gears. You'll be able to find the diagram at different merchants. In fact, all diagrams are sold by merchants herbalist, etc. So If someone want to do only the main quests, the diagrams are not missed.

BUT... they are very expensive :p

Tuco

Forum veteran
Don't worry if you don't search all Treasure Gears. You'll be able to find the diagram at different merchants. In fact, all diagrams are sold by merchants herbalist, etc. So If someone want to do only the main quests, the diagrams are not missed.

BUT... they are very expensive :p
Which, on a side note, it's an issue just in the early hours. Then you'll start to become rich as fuck and money will stop being an issue entirely.

Anyway, this advice is good just for generic equipment diagrams and alchemy recipes.
He'll definitely need to pay attention to Witcher gear treasure hunts if he wants the best equipment in the game.

There are two types of dodge in game. Parry and dodge roll, parry can dodge you in small distance but helps you regen your stamina. Dodge roll uses stamina useful against large monster due to there AOE attack.

For beginners recommended quen and igni but don't be afraid to experiment in late game due you can reset your skill ability and Alchemy will be powerful if you focus on it or any signs.

If your focus on crafting go w/ alchemy instead of crafting gear unless for Witcher gear. Witcher gear are the best gear in the game also relic and witcher gear do scale in your lvl. Also crafting gear in the game have bugs especially crafting runes and glyphs.

Aard and Axii are the best way dealing humans and humanoid monster. If your higher lvl or have sign intensity for aard, Aard could cause knockout causing to instant kills. Be warned there is a slight delay using this skill. Axii also useful against wraith unless they are mobs use yrrden.

Don't be afraid to retreat, Ai in the game have small aggro Aoe it totally depends on your difficulty so you have a chance to meditate in middle of a battle to resupply your alchemy pots and regen health in lower difficulty except for scripted boss. Most boss and monster don't regenerate their health doing this except for monster that really regenerate there health. Scripted boss are the Wild Hunt Boss. White Orchard griffin you could meditate during that fight even in monster contract.

Lower lvl Roach is quite useful. Mounted combat gives you extra damage. For better accuracy in mounted combat hold your attack key it will cause to slow time. Also with Alchemy pots like decoction, Roach and Geralt would be powerful. To negate fear of your horse use Axii and some horse gear. Roach is useless against monster in lower lvl unless you master mounted combat.

Last edited:
Once you get to a higher level (say 18) switch to an alchemy build, or at least a half-alchemy build.

It has the potential for higher dps and higher defense than any other, along with flexibility. The cornerstone is the ability giving you more toxicity for each recipe you know (note: it's when you find or buy the recipe NOT when you make it, so hit up those Herbalists!). Running with two or three decoctions plus room for several potions is astonishingly useful.

Top Bottom