Aerondight - possible to import from a Witcher 2 save game?

+
Aerondight - possible to import from a Witcher 2 save game?

After receiving Aerondight from the Lady of the Lake and hearing her snarky remark to not lose it again, I wonder: Could you manage to import it from a Witcher 2 save game (based on an imported Witcher 1 game)?

Has anyone tried that out to make a full playthrough of all games and intentionally keep Aerondight just to see what happens?

I did. Unfortunatly it's impossible. From a lore perspective Geralt has Aerondight at the beginning of The Witcher 2. He loses a silver sword in the mouth of a dragon. Nothing indicates in the story he changed weapon between the end of the story and the battle at the castle of La Valette. So in a lore perspective this sword is supposed to be Aerondight eventhough you keep it in your inventory if you used a Witcher 1 save. The thing is if you don't use a W1 I think you lose a banal silver sword but that would imply that Geralt lost it in a very obscur way between W1 and 2. My guess is this silver sword is Aerondight in the story. Well as you can see it's not clear and can be interpreted but Aerondight is lost in a lore perspective no matter what. Even if it is in your inventory in W2.

So in short. No. At least I didn't manage to do it.

minicrom;n7434730 said:
I did. Unfortunatly it's impossible. From a lore perspective Geralt has Aerondight at the beginning of The Witcher 2. He loses a silver sword in the mouth of a dragon. Nothing indicates in the story he changed weapon between the end of the story and the battle at the castle of La Valette. So in a lore perspective this sword is supposed to be Aerondight eventhough you keep it in your inventory if you used a Witcher 1 save. The thing is if you don't use a W1 I think you lose a banal silver sword but that would imply that Geralt lost it in a very obscur way between W1 and 2. My guess is this silver sword is Aerondight in the story. Well as you can see it's not clear and can be interpreted but Aerondight is lost in a lore perspective no matter what. Even if it is in your inventory in W2.

Thank you, I was wondering about this too and felt a little guilty about him losing it somehow. It having gotten stuck in the mouth of a dragon though? Worth it.

Well as I said it's my interpretation of things. It's the only thing in the entire trilogy that shows Geralt losing a sword definitly. But you can still debate if it is Aerondight or no though cause of inventory and stuff but... it's the only thing that makes sense to me. But Aerondight in Blood and Wine is clearly fan service in the first place. You can argue Aerondight is not that important in the lore of the game and Geralt lost it in gambling or just trade it for a better weapon (the fool). You can also say that Geralt didn't keep it because he doesn't feel as a knight at all (he didn't like Meve knighting him lol) etc. It's possible too.

There's only two other moment where Geralt lose a sword. First it's with the salamandre quest in Witcher 2 but you're suppose to get back your gear to beat them. Second is when Letho knocks down Geralt with Aard. Then Geralt lose a sword too but I am pretty sure it's a steel sword.You can forget to get back this one but it can't be Aerondight. 95% sure. So there it is. No way to have Aerondight in W3 in any case.

But beside all those story interpretation I think the real reason is that CDPR just forgot how important Aerondight is in the first game (the game is not always consitent storywise from one game to another). It's a possibility too^^. But as I said to me Geralt loses Aerondight in the mouth of the Dragon because it's the weapon he is supposed to have in a lore perspective. People are free to disagree of course.

Unfortunately it was impossible to import Aerodight from Witcher 2 into Witcher 3. But since this sword meant so much when Geralt got it from the Lady of the Lake in the first game, we wanted to bring it back in a proper manner.
Like it was said before, Geralt indeed loses Aerondight by stabbing the mouth of the dragon in the prologue of Witcher 2 (which is the only proper way to lose a magical sword of great power ;))

Benzenzimmern;n7451930 said:
But since this sword meant so much when Geralt got it from the Lady of the Lake in the first game, we wanted to bring it back in a proper manner.
It did indeed. Thanks again for that!

Benzenzimmern;n7451930 said:
Unfortunately it was impossible to import Aerodight from Witcher 2 into Witcher 3. But since this sword meant so much when Geralt got it from the Lady of the Lake in the first game, we wanted to bring it back in a proper manner.
Like it was said before, Geralt indeed loses Aerondight by stabbing the mouth of the dragon in the prologue of Witcher 2 (which is the only proper way to lose a magical sword of great power ;))

Cool so that's official then ! Thank you very much for this !

minicrom;n7434730 said:

You start with 2 silver swords and you can switch blades before fighting the dragon. I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning to replay the ending of W1, make sure that I've got Aerodight in my save and then I'll try switching swords (it worked for another sword). I'll keep you posted guys.

I wonder what CDPR guys have to say :)

PS. Just realized that items are not transferred between W2 and W3 :(

Last edited:

That is understandable, great job at that!

I wish something with similar grace had been done about Geralt's other noteworthy gear. The ending of the TW2 prologe was the perfect missed oportunity for this in my opinion.
Using the fact that he was a prisoner with all his things taken away would have been a good justification for him losing the rest of his save-carried-over equipment permanetly; equipment that would turn obsolete statswise soon enough anyways. A good way to connect narrative with gameplay.

TW3 should at least had tried to do this to some degree, even if by just adding a couple of lines between Geralt and Vesemir explaining that during the 6 months on the road, something happened, be it that they were robbed or simply encountered a hard moster that rendered Geralts armour unusable and beyond repair or what ever would have been better than nothing at all.

Top Bottom