After >90 hours have to decide if worth starting over or quit due to exp bug.

+
After >90 hours have to decide if worth starting over or quit due to exp bug.

Firstly I appreciate the support given by CD Projekt Red thus far for their products, including W3. I am a completionist, I play to get everything and do everything. As you might imagine I am one of those players who fell victim to the exp bug. Despite the "fix" coming on Monday for PC, I sit here now deciding whether its worth replaying the initial >90h of gameplay just to get to where I was before or just file this game with the others that have a game breaking bug like this and stop playing it entirely. I have no desire to finish the game after having missed a significant amount of exp that was earned. I appreciate the reassurances that you will still end the game within the intended "range"... but I played the game to end with the maximum payoff for the maximum investment and it seems I will have to settle for average payoff for maximum effort or restart entirely. The comment that retroactive exp will not be happening is a huge dissapointment. This is a shame, the game itself is a masterpiece but its puts players like me in a very difficult spot..... restart (and hope everything is fixed this time around), quit (was a good game but cannot go through >90h to just get back to where left off, or suck it up and keep playing (not an option for a completionist).

Difficult decision, guess I have the weekend to decide whether to move on or restart. Regardless, huge dissapointment for me.

As a fellow completionist, I think it's worth pointing out that there are quests we are going to miss anyway so what difference does it make in the long run?

We will never do 'all' quests because some quest lines are killed off because of other choices *shrug*

You get reduced experience anyway the higher you are compared to the quest so if you were 5lv + compared to quest, killing randomly spawning 5 bandits/wolves would probably net you more exp than the points that you lost from 1 quest. So that would be a pretty weird decision to restart a game for this reason as you could randomly find a few monsters and kill them to make up for that lost experience.
This decision might have made sense if the game had a finite amount of exp available. (no respawning monsters)

Last edited:
If you actually knew much about the game you would know that the exp gained from killing monsters is miniscule compared with that from quests. Also the main issue as a completionist is that once you get near the end of the game there aren't even any monsters to "grind". I don't play the game to "grind". I play to explore and complete quests and kill things as necessary to do the first two activities. I know this has been said before but this bug just makes it seem even more like exploring and doing all quests punish you rather than follow the main quest only. As an extreme example.... it would really piss someone off to realize that because of the exp bug you could never get the level to wear the highest level gears because there are no more quests to complete.

Rumors are the patch is due out Monday. While the mob xp was trivial to begin with, I'll just focus on gathering up Gwent decks. Finally got 3 hero cards, huge difference in strategy!

Firstly I appreciate the support given by CD Projekt Red thus far for their products, including W3. I am a completionist, I play to get everything and do everything. As you might imagine I am one of those players who fell victim to the exp bug. Despite the "fix" coming on Monday for PC, I sit here now deciding whether its worth replaying the initial >90h of gameplay just to get to where I was before or just file this game with the others that have a game breaking bug like this and stop playing it entirely. I have no desire to finish the game after having missed a significant amount of exp that was earned. I appreciate the reassurances that you will still end the game within the intended "range"... but I played the game to end with the maximum payoff for the maximum investment and it seems I will have to settle for average payoff for maximum effort or restart entirely. The comment that retroactive exp will not be happening is a huge dissapointment. This is a shame, the game itself is a masterpiece but its puts players like me in a very difficult spot..... restart (and hope everything is fixed this time around), quit (was a good game but cannot go through >90h to just get back to where left off, or suck it up and keep playing (not an option for a completionist).

Difficult decision, guess I have the weekend to decide whether to move on or restart. Regardless, huge dissapointment for me.

Only have one grey quest for the cat armor hunt. I too go the completionist route and I scour the landscape in a grid. I have only just talked to Triss and haven't gone any further as I am doing nothing but exploring and notice boards and the random quest that pops up in out of the way areas. Getting the Golem pe...........

Anyway. Passing 79 hours on DM and only level 15 heh. Did you know fighting a level 26 basilisk takes 25 minutes plus of dodging as you give it pinpricks? Did you know it dropped a level 7 relic sword......bahahahhaa, right, I will not restart.

Having chose to free something that had consequences *snicker*, I do not think I will redo this initial play through, even with the patch.

My second play through will be on dark if they give a choice of levels, If not I will choose the easiest level so I can stop and smell the roses.

I dont understand how you missed so much xp? This bug applied to 6 above and 6 levels below. Obviously 6 above is hard as hell to complete and you get same or close to it by completing it 4 or so levels above. 6 below would only offer what? 25 pts max? You can easily get that from slaying 10-15 monsters lol Maybe I am misunderstanding your issue. I have been playing extensively since this bug happened and haven't lost any xp. I save before every quest and double check xp reward from completion though. So far I have been rewarded properly. I wigged out 2 nights ago on a quest but found out I was 10 levels above, which was why I didn't receive a reward. But yea. I wouldn't start over. Upcoming DLC might change things too! We have 70 levels to get to and as it is now, 38 seems to be max. There must be plans in future for monster grinding or something. How else can we get to 70? lol I have faith friend! Do not fret and enjoy the game! Haha!!

-Z

As a fellow completionist, I think it's worth pointing out that there are quests we are going to miss anyway so what difference does it make in the long run?

We will never do 'all' quests because some quest lines are killed off because of other choices *shrug*

Agree, I have failed quest that makes me kind of mad because if only I had knew.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a real thread or a joke thread. Can someone really be that upset they are thinking of quitting over a tiny bit of xp?

I dont understand how you missed so much xp? This bug applied to 6 above and 6 levels below.

You clearly don't know what you're even talking about. That's not what the XP bug is AT ALL. And to the poster above, it's not a tiny bit. Almost 0 quests in Novigrad give XP currently. Considering 2-3 main quests give you a whole level, how is that considered "a tiny bit"?

Last edited:
It's not a tiny bit of xp, it's probably 4 levels worth. However, the game showers so much xp on you in the end game (that is not affected by the bug) that it really doesn't matter. You will still be over leveled as long as you have been doing some side quests and contracts. It's not worth restarting or quitting. Just keep playing the game normally as if you'd never heard of the bug and you'll be fine.

You clearly don't know what you're even talking about. That's not what the XP bug is AT ALL. And to the poster above, it's not a tiny bit. Almost 0 quests in Novigrad give XP currently. Considering 2-3 main quests give you a whole level, how is that considered "a tiny bit"?

I am pretty sure I know what I am talking about.
Quests that are 6 levels (or more) lower than yours are not granting experience. Anything else should reward you with exp, we are looking into the issue.

ilozen's quote from above found here -->http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...sible-to-play-gt-cdprojekt-please-reply/page3

Here are my sources to back my opinions.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/psa-witcher-3-has-an-xp-bug-but-that-might-not-be-/1100-6427663/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/29/the-witcher-3-xp-glitch-will-be-fixed-next-week

Have a good night!

-Z

Last edited:

You really DON'T have a clue as to what you're talking about. That's not the XP bug. The quote in the Gamespot article is talking about quests 6 levels lower not giving XP, which is by design. The bug is the "Anything else should reward you with exp[erience], we are looking into the issue." part, because quests are not giving any XP, regardless of their level.

The IGN article was clearly written by somebody who can't read.

Here's 26 pages of people proving you have no idea what you're talking about.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/42937-Addressing-the-no-XP-Glitch

I have the XP bug. I get 0 xp from quests, regardless of level. It is a very big deal.

Last edited:
@ntbaker I am completionist as well, but I don't understand why would you care so much about your level, if you are still in level with main quest then what's the problem ?
For me what matters is that I have experienced every quest there is in game (I feel sad, when I see "Quest failed" message, because for me it's lost gameplay and dialogue lines).

This whole issue of XP has got a little confused, but to the best of my knowledge, there are two separate issues:
1. "Greyed out" quests, i.e. quests at a much lower level than your own, don't give XP. This is by design (presumably to try to keep the game balanced). There are still quest rewards for these, just not XP.
2. There is a bug that came from one of the patches and as far as I know only affects console versions that means that some other quests are also not getting XP.

Regarding those two linked articles, the Gamespot one reports it accurately. The IGN one is as confused as a lot of other people are.

Last edited:
You really DON'T have a clue as to what you're talking about. That's not the XP bug.

Here's 26 pages of people proving you have no idea what you're talking about.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/42937-Addressing-the-no-XP-Glitch

lol Do you know what your talking about? In the link I posted, there is another link to the same link you just posted. Its the same bug. There is only 1 xp bug and its the one I described, as well as the one everyone is talking about. Your on a forum but you dont read much it seems. Check it out sometime. Interesting stuff.

only affects console versions
This is incorrect. I and many other are on PC and are experiencing the bug as well.

---------- Updated at 05:22 AM ----------

lol Do you know what your talking about? In the link I posted, there is another link to the same link you just posted. Its the same bug. There is only 1 xp bug and its the one I described, as well as the one everyone is talking about. Your on a forum but you dont read much it seems. Check it out sometime. Interesting stuff.

The link in the Gamespot article has 16 pages and was created by a player, the one I posted has 26 pages and was started by Marcin Momot. How they are the same thread in your world is beyond me.

Top Bottom