This is going to be me listing a bunch of things I think will improve the overall experience of the game. I've been playing the game for well over 250 hours and I think I have a solid grasp as to what the issues are in the game. This will also consist of much ramblings, so I will try to highlight anything I think is important.
First, I believe I should list out the most major issues in the game then I will begin to list the smaller issues.
In no particular order- Colors go as follows - Very Important - Important - Somewhat Important - Not Urgent
- The stealth system
is something I believe is totally broken.(I may have exaggerated but it needs to be tuned) There isn't much incentive to do stealth since the game barely allows you to do it. Enemies are hypersensitive and can spot you through a crack in the wall or they are too blind to see that I'm crouched right in front of them. The only time stealth is something I do is if the mission incentivizes it, otherwise I avoid stealth since it's fun to just shoot everyone with an LMG. But, the most major problem with stealth are the options within it. The best option when it comes to stealth is a silencer since going behind people and choking them out isn't necessarily the quickest option (even snapping necks takes a few seconds). So essentially if you want to guarantee yourself to not get caught, slap on a silencer and go to town. Don't even get me started on the Stealth skills. The worst offender by far in the Stealth skills is Throwing Knives. Throwing Knives which are irretrievable. Even games on N64 such as Perfect Dark allowed you to retrieve thrown knives. If you didn't know this, you could easily lose a really good melee weapon.
- Speaking of melee how about I address the issue with melee weapons. This seems to have been an issue which has persisted throughout the patches and bug fixes. The dreaded 0 damage glitch with melee weapons. I'm not sure as to the root cause of the issue but from what I've seen, people blame the various skills which for some reason cause a melee weapon to reduce it's attack until it turns into a wet noodle. The glitch makes people who want to have fun cutting heads off with a katana or cyberware very sad. Odd thing about the glitch is the fact that it only would apply to a melee weapon if you use it long enough which means either you should carry a bunch of melee weapons or save and load every 10-15 mins. If you save and load it fixes the glitch.
- Post from December talking about this bug. Since the first week this has been an issue.
- Example of 0 damage glitch
- Cars spawning in the ground. Nuff said.
- Odd texture gltiches such as this. Basically, it seems to happen to Thortons for some odd reason. From afar they appear painted black but when you approach their real color appears. (this may be minor but it is pretty annoying when many missions include Thortons.)
- Missing audio in certain parts of the story; you may notice some dialogue missing from certain characters.
- Last of the major issues is the police system! This you would think would be a no brainer. GTA did a pretty good job back in the day (GTA 5 didn't do as well as other GTA games). The NCPD apparently have teleporters as they will spawn in the immediate vicinity of you as soon as any crime is committed. GTA had the subtly of having the police appear in cars down the street and get out once they've caught up to you. One star vs. Four stars in this game don't change much other than the level of the enemies increasing. MaxTac had a cool intro in the first mission with Jackie, as you guys pull up to an intersection and MaxTac pops out of an AV and shoots up the gonks trying to commit crime. I wish they had the NCPD appear in vehicles instead of just spawning next to you in walls and even in the ground. When it's said and done the NCPD needs to show up in vehicles when you get a wanted level rather than spawn next to you. Also I believe you should increase the requirements for receiving a star. Perhaps depending on the area of the city the less likely you are to receive a star. The fact I can receive a star in Pacifica doesn't make sense, Pacifica is supposed to be one of the few places other than the Badlands which the NCPD has abandoned. Police don't naturally spawn in traffic, they only appear in certain spots on the side of the road. There is no arresting at all. Would be interesting to have to bribe the police in order to not lose all of your items if you get arrested.
- Random low-res textures.
- Some sights have clipping textures. This would mainly apply to those with holographic displays.
- Pedestrians have horrible AI.
- There are no viewable braindances other than story related ones. (Just a pet peeve of mine)
- LMG's can't be equipped with a silencer.
- There isn't enough gun variety. There are Iconic guns but even those still use the same model as the regular guns. All Tech revolvers look the same and all Power pistols, etc.
- Gangs don't roam the streets of their territories. They will only appear in designated areas which they spawn in.
- Missing meshes which lead into the underworld.
- Mechs and robots have glitched looting. It is very finicky to loot a mech you have to stand in the right place and even then if you don't loot all at once (loot one item at a time) then the option to loot will disappear.
Certain choices don't do anything (NITPICK). (i.e. revealing the truth to Peralez does change the end video in the credits and he does become mayor if you don't tell him the truth. Albeit, the choice doesn't necessarily lead to anything game changing). You'd think that the people controlling Peralez would attempt to do something crazy with him as mayor, but nothing comes of it.
- The romance options aren't as varied as I thought they would be. There are 3 characters which can be romanced, Judy (if female V), Panam (if male V), River Ward (if female V), and Kerry Eurodyne (if male V). I was honestly expecting a little more variety perhaps 2 or 1 extra character(s) that swing both ways. This one is more of a personal nitpick.
- Romances themselves are pretty disappointing, much like most linear games you only get to sleep with whoever you're romancing once which is usually at the end of their storyline. I would expect that you could return to them at anytime and activate a scene of hanging out or sex. Another option which would be cool is to go on a date. Once again another nitpick but mainly food for thought. Before you say anything San Andreas and GTA 4 had dates. They can literally be as simple as going to a location and watching a cutscene.
- Delamain isn't a callable cab company (this especially should have been the reward after completing the Delamain missions).
- You can't just slam back some drinks at a bar. For some inexplicable reason even though multiple times throughout the story you can slam drinks back, when you go to a bar when not on one of these special missions you can't slam drinks back. Instead it will take you a shop menu.
- Can't customize cars. This is in hindsight a big one, but I still consider it minor since it isn't a glitch per say. You should be able to take a car to a garage and get it tuned and painted maybe even add on spoilers and other things, like neon.
- Not a single flyable vehicle. This is another big one, but this is a bit more ambitious so I'll let this one go although I think the game would've had more variety if it allowed you to fly vehicles like AV's or even helicopters.
- Motorcycles suck to drive, they handle horribly.
- Certain cyberware doesn't disappear from decapitated enemies and will float in the air where the face used to be.
- Scripted car movements are very obvious during certain missions. It looks like Panam put ice skates instead of wheels during some moments.
- Talking dead enemies. Rare but it happens the game should be able to detect when an NPC dies and instantly stop voice lines coming from them.
- Physics don't make sense sometimes. On Very Hard you die pretty easily, running seems to cause the most issues. Sometimes I've been running and if I jump at the bottom of stairs I've would spontaneously die. For some odd reason the game accelerates me very quickly and insta-kills me. This is hard to replicate which is why getting footage of it is very hard.
- Some enemies can stay writhing on the floor even though they are dead.
- No stealth takedowns with melee weapons (think this is a little more than minor). Should be self-explanatory. I should be able to approach someone from behind with a knife, katana, wrench, bat, etc. and knock them unconscious or kill them silently.
- No stealth takedowns with silenced weapons (perhaps offering the fastest takedown possible besides a katana or knife).
- Can't customize character after initial creation. This obviously won't extend to a gender change as that would change a lot of story and be confusing for the in-game characters to process. You should at least have the option to change your hair and eyes, even adding visual cyberware, much like adding upgrades in the ripperdoc. We already know lore wise it makes sense, they just didn't allow it.
- No buyable properties. Big nitpik since you get different places you can sleep at throughout the story, such as the Nomad camp.
- Can't rob stores. This is kinda stupid but even mercs sometimes gotta stick up a place to get extra coin.
- No in game casinos. What I wanna be a gonk and waste all my money at the slots. This could also be another way for people who misspent their money to earn it back.
- Joytoys are the same all the time. You'd think they would have shifts or something. They could've been randomized to an extent. I mean come on people have made mods to replace these joytoys with other characters.
- No gang notoriety. If I kill half the gang I should have a bad reputation with them. The only time this happens is through story choices involving Maelstrom. If you kill Royce and don't free Brick then later on you're going to have a mission that involves Maelstrom trying to ambush you. Gang notoriety should stack up and only disappear if you kill a certain leader (not meaning actual leader but captain or big boy) of that gang (perhaps they would appear as a marker on the map). The higher the notoriety the more chance you have of being shot on sight or being hunted. I believe CDPR intended to have a feature like this in the game as it was mentioned in pre-release videos.
- No rocket launchers, or grenade launchers! Damn I wanted to shoot that launcher Panam pulled out on the EMP mission. (Wrist-rocket doesn't count)
- Netrunners never really have any kind of crazy events which occur. You know when you start up the game and you hear about how netrunners poked a hole in the power grid which caused a blackout. Why can't random events like that happen.
- Your background doesn't matter (nit pick as the background is usually down to personal preference). There are some instances of your background being able to affect an outcome, but generally there's usually an alternative choice which allows you to have the same outcome regardless of your background. (ex. Streetkid talking some gonks out of robbing a diner. There is another option which will get them to run away regardless).
- What is the point of being able to pick a dick size and pubic hair pattern if you rarely even get to see it in action? The game seems to avoid showing too much during any sex scene, minus Johnny and Alt. I don't think I recall seeing my dick in any sex scene in the game. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough wink* wink*.
- No buff V. San Andreas did that in 2004. Game has buff models and even clothes, this should be possible.
- Hats should have the option to be invisible. I wanna show my haircut off.
- No rear-view mirrors for first-person driving.
- No third-person perspective. Surprising CDPR didn't do a third-person perspective or at least a toggle considering their biggest hit Witcher was third-person.
- No dual-wielding. Jackie did it but I can't be his successor.
- Can't netrun. Would be interesting to explore netrunning and possibly hack to gain money and other things.
Gotta end the list so,no variable zoom on sniper rifles. Kinda weak end to the list but hey I'm getting tired of writing these so.
- Guns dropping after death may become irretrievable.
Edit 1: Fixed some grammar mistakes.
Edit 2: Cleaned up some of the post Italicized - Perfect Dark. Also thanks for the support and comments!
Edit 3: Added a link to a forum post from the first week of release, further showing how long the 0 damage melee weapon issue has persisted.
Edit 4: Added Guns dropping after death may become irretrievable.
Edit 5: Crossed stuff out.