After finishig CP2077 decide to play Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. My thoughts

+
Mankind Divided was trash. Compare it to Human Revolution and you'll see its a far better game.
LOL, you couldn't be more wrong. Human Revolution was deusex for dummies. It served everything on a silver platter. Vents going from one side of the forcefield to the other, the secret entrance being more direct than the main door, and similar garbage.

I like DE as a franchise a lot. At least in all of Cyberpunk's failures it has proven that there is a market for cool futuristic FPS games. If only Square Enix would get off their asses and let Eidos Montreal make another DE instead of helping Crystal Dynamics with their aborted Avengers game!

P.S.: F**k Square Enix London. Bunch of twats.

bign

Forum regular
The way the story touched me is an experience I don't want to have again.
It's comparable with giving up 5 meters before the finish line.

The game is highly immersive and that's what made the experience highly unsatisfying at the end.

For me, the story's conclusion was highly unsatisfying (because of several reasons) and cp has the by far worse game systems.

Yeah I ended up rushing through the last 6 hours or so just to get it over with.

To be honest I got bored with it after I think chapter 2. Basically when it lets you go to a big skyrise and infiltrate, I gave up. At the time it had serious problems running on my hardware, the story was not as appealing, and having a Scotsman do " 'murican accent" voice overs just made it worse.

Guest 4375874

Hell'o edgerunners
I've been fan of PnP CyberPunk 2020 since 1995. Waited for CyberPunk 2077 since the first reveal trailer. After spending 100+ hours with CP, finishing corpo path, seing all endings, cleaning whole map from markers I didn’t want to abandon this kind of setting so decided to give a try to Deus Ex: Menkind Divided. Played first game when it came out in 2000, same with Human Revolution in 2011 but skiped MD because of mixed reviews when it debuted in 2017. I remeber that it had outstanding promotion campain back then but wasn't as well recived as previous part.

I played CP2077 as stealth hacker and decided to play DE in similar way.

Here are my modest thoughs about mechanics of both games:

- hacking: in DE you can only hack computers, locks and terminals. No quick hacks on enemies, no mage-like play style with over powered, one hitting spells. Hacking minigame is very nicely done, much better than CP version but it takes more time, skills and planing.

- stealth: both games share simillar ideas. DE is more stealth oriented, non lethal take downs have great animations. It's fun to play this way, it uses 3rd person perspective during sneaks (to clarify I like 1st person in CP too).

- combat: In both games player can become full ranged killing machine with augmentations (implants) like dermal armor, bullet-time but in CP melee is more developed with katanas, blunts and implants.

- weapons: I love the idea of weapons in DE very much. It's far more realistic and in the tone of PnP CP. Game dosen't throw at you dozens of guns with different stats and varitaions. Combat rifles, pistols etc are always the same but you can pimp them a little with upgrades and modyfications (scopes, muzels), different kind of ammo (regular, armor piercing, EMP).

- open world: I love everything about Nigh City, it's design, scope, mood. Prague in Deus dosen't have cyberpunk vibe. There are very limited, dense city center districts in DE, quite well done in terms of different game styles. You can travel between them through subway network, however no vehicles you can drive.

- implants/augmentations: CP lore has it's unique style no other can be compered. Kerenzikov, Sandevistan, Decks, Mantis blades, weapon smart links etc. The problem is execution. DE does it very good in it's way but I'm sure it is inspired by CP 2020. The main protagonist is full of uniqe military grade tech that can be unlocked with praxis points (you get them with next xp level or can be found through the game). Player can see all this awesome chrome stuff animated, in skills menu. Everything is already ther, waiting to be unlocked fitting your game style. No ripperdocs and such thigs.

- story: two completely different scopes. CP has very personal story of man wantig to become legend of NC but something goes very wrong and has to figth for one's survival. In DE there is big conspiracy and you, as Interpol agent, have task to solve it.

-graphic/music: CP has taken everything to next level of awesomeness. Enough said.

Summarizing:

In my opinion CP2077 has better story, characters, setting, open world, fluff, general vibe.

From the other hand DE has better game mechanics like realistic weapons, more complex hacking, a lot of stealth possibilities, well working augmentations system.
Deus Ex is NOT an open-world game. Deus Ex is NOT a Cyberpunk Game. The only thing these games have in common is future tech, outside of that this is a false equivalence and really shouldn't be compared. How the stories are told and the worlds they are told in couldn't be more different.

Deus Ex is NOT an open-world game. Deus Ex is NOT a Cyberpunk Game. The only thing these games have in common is future tech, outside of that this is a false equivalence and really shouldn't be compared. How the stories are told and the worlds they are told in couldn't be more different.
Uh.. how is Deus Ex NOT a Cyberpunk game? Care to elaborate other than "future tech" reasons?

Deus Ex is very much in the cyberpunk genre

Cyberpunk is a subgenre of science fiction in a dystopian futuristic setting that tends to focus on a "combination of low-life and high tech" featuring advanced technological and scientific achievements, such as artificial intelligence and cybernetics, juxtaposed with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order.

That is literarily the world setting of Deus Ex, especially MD and HR.

Same. V is a street thug who got massive problems only because he/she decided to rob wrong people. Adam "never asked for it", and uses his abilities to fight against conspiracy and terrorists rather than break the law left and right for profit.

different worlds, deus ex isn't the same type of distopia. Mercs and fixers aren't generally considered criminals, and crime is kind of up for debate in night city. Arasaka kidnaps Alt and steals her brain, (so you could say they stole relic from her) there was no trial, or prosecution. They do it regularly. Vs corpo boss kills a board of directors for failure and tells you to assinate his enemies. The cops were told to kill V and Jackie for trying to steal a car, because corpo said so.

Point is, there is no real LAW thats uniform and respectable in night city. Its just about who has power, and who can get away with something. In fact, fixers and mercs are often a stabilizing force in the communities. Wakako spends a lot of time policing Tyger claws, Padre does that for valentinos, and Regina picks basically vigilante law cases 9/10 times.

Deus ex appears to still have a somewhat functional society.

Probably not important for the rest of the World, but while Deus Ex is set in Prague, the Czech accent is more like Hollywood Russian, the nonsencial Google translate names and signs everywhere... somehow mixed with actual Czech voiceovers. It is bizzare.

But maybe I should get over it and give it a try realistic guns sounds good. And I do actually like the HL-2 vibe I saw in videos.

Top Bottom