After finishing the story I feel extremely empty inside

+
CP2077 has made me feel like literally no other game ever. The way they were able to bring so many emotions in me is not something I was expecting in the slightest. I fell in love with the story since the intro quests, I still can't get over how well written the story is and how well the storytelling was executed. Every character is an actual character, huge deep personality with strengths and flaws both, which makes them more believable and relatable in some cases. This is the first time I actually felt like I'm part of the game, I really felt like V, it was very easy to forget you're playing and just dive into the world and experience whatever was about to happen.

I've never cried while playing a game until now. Not simply just because there are some sad moments, but the way the atmosphere builds in into a huge crescendo of emotions. Such as when you "Get a new jacket" in one of those endings(don't want to spoil). This has made me feel so warm inside, like all of negative feelings I had and all the feelings of solitude disappeared.. Those big moments are just so well written that I won't be able to stop thinking about them for a long time. This game has made me feel emotions I haven't known for literal years, as sad as it sounds, it is true and by saying this I'm just giving props to CDPR for how absolute artistic geniuses they are

Worst thing is, I can't just replay it again. I already did and it doesn't feel that good anymore when you know precisely everything about the story. So here I am now, replaying those memories in my head while feeling completely hollow in my chest, like I lost half my soul.

Attachments

• Sadge.png
    Sadge.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 556
Last edited:
Sad that this gets lost in the drama surrounding the rough release. I like the characters a hall of a lot more than those of Dragon Age: Inquisition for instance. I really liked how they made Jackie easy to like AND then killed him off (because this isn't Disney folks!) - setting you up emotionally for the drama of a slow death sentence. However, more missions with him would have cemented the relationship further for an even greater impact.

You are not alone:

I fear exactly this moment. After finishing Witcher III, at the very end of "Blood & Wine", it was close to making my heart break. On the positive side, I'm roundabout 130 hours in (1st run, Nomad) and not 50% through. So there is some space until this hollow feeling will emerge again.

Yeah, welcome :howdy: Here something you will listening next 2-3 days for sure.

Bruh I've been listening to this one, aldecaldos, never fade away, kerry's song, judy's song and outsider no more for like 30 days already every day i just can't stop, it brings back the feelings i had when i heard it in game and i'm addicted to it like to a drug

Yeah, I felt the same once I finished the game. That is the sign the story is good indeed. The same feeling was for RDR2, TLOU2, Witcher 3.

Sad that this gets lost in the drama surrounding the rough release

That is not sad, the game provides great story and characters no doubts, but still it is far from perfection, there are a lot of things requiring an improvement. Let's be honest, outside the main quest the game is not so good, not even so good as typical Far Cry game. Almost every feature is broken or undeveloped and people's complaints are very understandable.

Yeah, I felt the same once I finished the game. That is the sign the story is good indeed. The same feeling was for RDR2, TLOU2, Witcher 3.

That is not sad, the game provides great story and characters no doubts, but still it is far from perfection, there are a lot of things requiring an improvement. Let's be honest, outside the main quest the game is not so good, not even so good as typical Far Cry game. Almost every feature is broken or undeveloped and people's complaints are very understandable.
No. Feeling empty is exactly what the writer should not want to happen.

When you feel empty after a story, it means something crucial is missing. In this case, it's closure and satisfaction.
Closure and satisfaction are the goal of an ending, because it closes the story. People feel empty after cyberpunk, because the story does not feel like it's finished. This comes from missing closure and from the player being tricked at the 11th hour.

Even the things that happened at the end can be satisfactory, if the protagonist reaches the set goals - however, that did not really happen.

I fear exactly this moment. After finishing Witcher III, at the very end of "Blood & Wine", it was close to making my heart break. On the positive side, I'm roundabout 130 hours in (1st run, Nomad) and not 50% through. So there is some space until this hollow feeling will emerge again.
The feeling after "Blood and wine" to me was nowhere close to that of after "Cyberpunk 2077".

"B&W" left me a bit sad, but with a bit of satisfaction. With about 3000 h total playing time in the series the saga was over...
"CP2077" ... 35 h play through. Now, three weeks later, I'm still processing my feelings of loss and betrayal.

Play it until you are really bored with it before playing past "point of no return"...

Sounds like a classic case of "post game depression".
Had this happen before and it's really weird.
Give it time.

This is one of the things that makes Cyberpunk 2077 a brilliant game. The video messages during the credits are the cherry on top.

Did I shed a tear, me? A 27 year old guy? You bet I did! And I ain't afraid to admit it.

And don't get me started when we return to the Well.:cry:

Last edited:

When you feel empty after a story, it means something crucial is missing. In this case, it's closure and satisfaction.
Closure and satisfaction are the goal of an ending, because it closes the story. People feel empty after cyberpunk, because the story does not feel like it's finished. This comes from missing closure and from the player being tricked at the 11th hour.

Even the things that happened at the end can be satisfactory, if the protagonist reaches the set goals - however, that did not really happen.
I feel empty inside because the game made me feel emotions i haven't felt in ages & now I realized it.
The endings are amazing, & I'm sad simply because the game ends. Obviously it has to, they can't make 1 story have 10k worth of hours of time. It's just that I'm gonna miss it and the first feel that I experienced.

Maybe I haven't explained good enough what I meant. By "feeling empty", I mean that something good and important for me is over now, like the journey came to an end. The same feeling which appears when you finish the good book. The bitter-sweet sadness.

And I personally prefer "open" endings, I don't need the one like "the hero had married, got himself a children and lived happily ever after". I love the ending of Cyberpunk a lot. In my case, I sacrificed V's body to Johnny, and Johnny is leaving Night City to never come back. I was crying on the moment Johnny's leaving his bullet necklace on the cemetary, and signing V's grave as "dreamer". Personally I feel this ending mostly dramatic and touching.

The story itself can be better, longer, indeed. But I like the way it came to an end.

By saying that I feel hollow I don't mean that the game was bad or that something was missing from it. No. Exactly the opposite. The game was much more than I expected and I enjoyed it so much I consider it my overall favorite game of all time because of its artistic side - music, atmosphere, story, storytelling. CP feels like part of me that has been missing and now that I finished it it abandoned me again. Basically everything I wrote in the main post, but don't take it against the devs. they made my 2020 way better than it was & start of 2021 as well.
Now that I finished it I feel hollow because I can't continue the amazing experience or enjoy the story because I already know what it is. I'd pay another 60€ gladly for a first time experience like this.

Check this out

Check this out

The story is about survival- finding your way out of the hole you're inevitably falling into. And about interpersonal relationships & making name for yourself. Then, depending on your ending, mine was friendship, family, trust & sacrifice

Hearing "fade away" play during the end credits was quite a bittersweet feeling for me. I spent roughly 5 weeks on my first playthrough so despite all it's faults by the time the game started to wind down into that final 3rd person sequence I realised just how much I actually loved playing Cyberpunk and as my character 'V'. I had post-game blues for a day or so? Hears to hoping CDPR do enough via updates to bring me back playing a second time around as corpo or street kid so then I can experience it all again for some more completed it emptiness :sleep:

Top Bottom