After Game Disappointment

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, this is a game where most people will not spend a lot of time on. And by a lot I mean 500-1000 hours, perhaps even more.

This may well be the greatest RPG ever made, in my opinion, but like everything it still has its flaws. I'm about to finish my second playthrough, after 302 hours, and after that I'll do whatever quests I've got left, get all the ?'s on the map and collect all gwent cards. It's going to take me a while, but once I'm done with that I will take a break and play something else until the new big DLC area comes out.

In the end, the only things that will keep me interested in this game are mods and major DLC.

TBH I think playing after the epilogue continues was probably a last minute decision. I think if it wasn't in people would be asking for it:

"Please CDPR let us keep playing after the Epilogue ends, even if it's the same pre-ending world, let us keep playing!"

I think the issue really came about with it widely being quoted by several sources that "you can keep playing after the main quest concludes" which while technically true doesn't do it proper service as it doesn't mention that it puts you in a world devoid of main characters or showing the consequences of your actions in any meaningful way. It is very much a 'tacked on" experience, that's not meaning to say that it's bad, but it probably was overhyped and done so in the wrong way.

This issue also perfectly illustrates why The Witcher differs greatly from other open world RPGs in that it is still a narrative-driven game that relies heavily on the story telling, without it, the world feels barren, even with all the side content still there, the most memorable characters and the main questline is really what kept you going.

Finally I think it's important to realize that you CANNOT half-ass a post-epilogue world, especially given what occurs in the main story. Consider the following changes that would need to occur for a proper post-epilogue

Ending Spoilers:
-Every major side character still alive would need new dialogue reflecting the main quest
-New scenes with certain characters such as Triss/Yennefer and other lodge members
-Post-epilogue only quests that let you tie up loose ends (Killing the last crone on the other two endings, checking up on Priscilla, etc.)
-Major overhauls of game areas Novigrad, Oxenfurt, and various field encampments to reflect which side won the war.
-The aftermath of the Conjunction monsters that appear in the final mission (giving a bunch of new contracts)
-The world changes caused by the presence of the tower in Skellige at the end of the final mission and the wrecked Nilfgaardian Fleet.
-NPC Dialogue changes to reflect the new world state

To do post-epilogue justice you need to at least have this content available and it's almost expansion worthy in it's own right. Is it worth it for CDPR to do this? I personally say yes as after several novels, 3 games, and the amount of time invested in these characters and their world, we want EPIC closure, not just footnotes. I think everyone would be satisfied with this being added, but please keep in mind this is far and beyond the level of the kinds of DLCs they've released so far and there's one final issue to consider before it's possible implementation:

2 new expansions each with their own choices and ending world states.

That means that to do the post epilogue world properly and justifiably it really does need to wait until the second expansion is out.

So I think we all need to be pushing CDPR to give us a surprise third post-epilogue Expansion that gives us a world that reflects our choices across the main game and all secondary content and expansions and DLCs. I would happily pay for that!

That's why there shouldn't be post-story game in the first place. Either do it properly or don't include it at all.

The end game is fine. You people seem mad that CDPR isn't holding your hand. If you want to do those quests, then do so before they aren't available anymore. No different than any other quest line that can be missed. Nobody is forcing you to keep playing. Restart if you want. Somehow the most ignorant comment I've read today has tons of red points. Oh the internet. By your logic since the game didn't launch perfectly they shouldn't have even shipped it. Eugh.

Just like to say I thoroughly enjoyed every second of this game! BUT after I finished the main storyline the world was entirely empty. There are no main characters to see anywhere and I have quests that require them e.g. Triss. I don't really see why Project Red have done this tbh.

Anybody else feel this way?

Game should have ended with the final main quest like pretty much every other story-driven RPG up to date. Simple.

The end game is fine. You people seem mad that CDPR isn't holding your hand. If you want to do those quests, then do so before they aren't available anymore. No different than any other quest line that can be missed. Nobody is forcing you to keep playing. Restart if you want. Somehow the most ignorant comment I've read today has tons of red points. Oh the internet. By your logic since the game didn't launch perfectly they shouldn't have even shipped it. Eugh.

First, I don't think anyone is 'mad', not me certainly. Second, this has absolutely has nothing to do with handholding. The problem is that CDPR chose the lazy way (well, they've obviously been burning the candle at both ends towards the end, so it's somewhat understandable) of implementing post-story gameplay by saying that 'the world is at the state it was before the last mission'. There's so much that they could've done to make the game after the end more interesting, but they probably did not have the time, or they didn't feel like it was worth doing.

I feel the same. Putting the player in a "Before-Last-Quest" world state instead of crafting a consistent after-main-quest world state is a big mistake.
It doesn't make the game worse (it is still brilliant) but the "endgame" is basically empty and sad after credits no matter how many side quests you have yet available.
I dumped my last save in a separate folder only for the next expansions because I just feel so sad playing it =) The feeling is the same you get after finishing reading a favorite book series...

---------- Updated at 10:40 AM ----------

TBH I think playing after the epilogue continues was probably a last minute decision. I think if it wasn't in people would be asking for it:

"Please CDPR let us keep playing after the Epilogue ends, even if it's the same pre-ending world, let us keep playing!"

I think the issue really came about with it widely being quoted by several sources that "you can keep playing after the main quest concludes" which while technically true doesn't do it proper service as it doesn't mention that it puts you in a world devoid of main characters or showing the consequences of your actions in any meaningful way. It is very much a 'tacked on" experience, that's not meaning to say that it's bad, but it probably was overhyped and done so in the wrong way.

This issue also perfectly illustrates why The Witcher differs greatly from other open world RPGs in that it is still a narrative-driven game that relies heavily on the story telling, without it, the world feels barren, even with all the side content still there, the most memorable characters and the main questline is really what kept you going.

Finally I think it's important to realize that you CANNOT half-ass a post-epilogue world, especially given what occurs in the main story. Consider the following changes that would need to occur for a proper post-epilogue

Ending Spoilers:
-Every major side character still alive would need new dialogue reflecting the main quest
-New scenes with certain characters such as Triss/Yennefer and other lodge members
-Post-epilogue only quests that let you tie up loose ends (Killing the last crone on the other two endings, checking up on Priscilla, etc.)
-Major overhauls of game areas Novigrad, Oxenfurt, and various field encampments to reflect which side won the war.
-The aftermath of the Conjunction monsters that appear in the final mission (giving a bunch of new contracts)
-The world changes caused by the presence of the tower in Skellige at the end of the final mission and the wrecked Nilfgaardian Fleet.
-NPC Dialogue changes to reflect the new world state

To do post-epilogue justice you need to at least have this content available and it's almost expansion worthy in it's own right. Is it worth it for CDPR to do this? I personally say yes as after several novels, 3 games, and the amount of time invested in these characters and their world, we want EPIC closure, not just footnotes. I think everyone would be satisfied with this being added, but please keep in mind this is far and beyond the level of the kinds of DLCs they've released so far and there's one final issue to consider before it's possible implementation:

2 new expansions each with their own choices and ending world states.

That means that to do the post epilogue world properly and justifiably it really does need to wait until the second expansion is out.

So I think we all need to be pushing CDPR to give us a surprise third post-epilogue Expansion that gives us a world that reflects our choices across the main game and all secondary content and expansions and DLCs. I would happily pay for that!

What you described here (really well, if you ask me) should be a part of Enhanced Edition. Basically I don't think making it should take more than half year, but I agree that this is how they should finish The Witcher 3 and not with a pre-last-main-quest world state we have now...

I would have been fine with the end game if main characters could still be visited.

I just feel lonely visiting this world. This is exactly how I feel about it. When all my friends and I graduated college, we all left that city. Anytime I have to drive into the city or visit the city to run errands, it feels weird because no one is there anymore.

Incredible game but cant fathom one thing ....

Why create such an amazing open world and have it be rendered so completely lifeless once you have visited all the ? marks, monster nests etc ?

It just doesnt make any sense to me.

I have literally on another play through just cleared White Orchard completely. Absolutely nothing left to do, no reason to go back there.

Why create such a stunning open world and then give the player no reason to travel back there?

Just re spawn the bandit camps, Monster nests, throw in some random encounters, do something to make me have a wander back there and see what has happened. Skyrim did this, every dungeon, re populating after around 30 days in game so there is always something to do, some reason to go back to earlier areas.

Does this not seem a strange design choice to anyone else?

When I was engaged in the main quest to find Ciri I felt a sense of urgency to work with Yen to find her. It just felt weird and unnatural to stop my search and just explore and do Witcher Contracts or other side quests. I thought no big deal, I will do those after I find Ciri and you can but without any of your friends around. I guess this is Geralt's time to do what he does best, monster hunting and whoring until he is ready to settle down with Yen/Triss.

Agreed absolutely... it seams more and more people are actually finishing the game. reaching the same conclusion.

expansion packs are always welcome. but just DLC junk in post game doesn't matter. there could be plenty added including the main characters. i got my ~175 hours out of the game and have no interest in just running through it again yet. but bigger new content rather than 1 mission DLC every week would be much appreciated.

When I was engaged in the main quest to find Ciri I felt a sense of urgency to work with Yen to find her. It just felt weird and unnatural to stop my search and just explore and do Witcher Contracts or other side quests. I thought no big deal, I will do those after I find Ciri and you can but without any of your friends around. I guess this is Geralt's time to do what he does best, monster hunting and whoring until he is ready to settle down with Yen/Triss.

For all who are bothered by missing friends and story characters after the ending like myself:
I just finished my 3rd playthrue, and went ahead and check the map beffore giving the sword to Ciri. I realised that until i talk to her i can go anywhere on the map and talk to any NPC i want, just talked to Zoltan and Roache.
So bassicly, if you achieve any of the possitive endings, either Ciri becoming empress or WItcher one you can go arround the map beffore you finish last part of the "post ending mission", then you can explore the map all that you want and more and all important NPCs will still be avalible to see and talk to if you want.

I agree, even though there are still quests and stuff for me to explore, I just felt very empty inside. :'(
They should put the main characters back in the game!

Feel cheated not being able to return to Yen/Triss after a tough day getting crowns for flogging heads. This Witcher needs a naked sorceress massage every now and then!

Feel cheated not being able to return to Yen/Triss after a tough day getting crowns for flogging heads. This Witcher needs a naked sorceress massage every now and then!

It's funny you say that. I think the romance features is silly, but I thought it was very odd that after choosing Triss she promptly disappeared from the game only to reappear at the end and pretend nothing ever happened between us. It seemed very odd especially considering what a big decision it felt like choosing between Yennefer and Triss.

Maybe it's different if you choose Yennefer? The game really feels like it wants you to choose her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom