After many years...

+
After many years...

...I am feeling a surge of nostalgia and sentimentality. I have not visited these parts of the forum for quite some time, especially after my disappointment with regards to the third game.

Today, for no apparent reason, I decided to rewatch The Witcher 2 trailers and then listen to some of its music. I was instantly flooded with both joyous memories, sadness at how time has passed so quickly, and admittedly a bit of bitterness. Rethinking about the game, in all its facets, has made me re-realize how amazing and incredible an experience it was. Its choices an consequences, its story, its plot, its characters, its atmosphere, its gravitas, its art, its details, its quotes, its themes.

After that many years, I still count The Witcher 2 as my favorite game of all time, and against reason, I decided to declare this here. Forgive my nostalgic sentimentality. Sometimes, it comes out too strongly to block, especially when it comes to a game I invested much time and thought in.

It's definitely my favorite game of the series (Not my favorite game of all time, but pretty close up there).
I myself rarely feel this surge of nostalgia, simply because I replay very often.
I came to think it's simply a masterpiece of storytelling, it got almost everything story related in a quality we see more often in other mediums.
I remember When I finished it for the first time I immediatly checked if the sequel is announced and when I watched the debut trailer I thought I won't be able to wait for it. (When it did come out though, well, we don't talk about it)

When was the last time you played Witcher 3? If it was its early days and bugs put you off, then you should try it again. If playing on PC, theres a Witcher 2 armor mod that brings W2 armors to W3. That should give you some nostalgia fix.

yeah i understand, i too listen to some of its music , the witcher 2 is a very special game in every way, it's unique

TW2 is an outstanding game and it has easily the best main story and characters of the Trilogy. I liked TW3 overall but that was more because of the atmosphere, great side quests etc. the main story got really boring after the Baron arc.

TW2 wasn't perfect either though, the slavic atmosphere and witcher feel was definitely missing.

Last edited:
I share your sentiment.
There's something captivating about the story telling and plot design of TW2 that draws me into the atmospheric and immersive world, more so than TW3. There was no world-saving theme in TW2 but the main story transpired in a more natural and intimate way, and the characters were more vivid.

I still continue to really not like the game, but after a couple years of not trying it and quite enjoying myself with Witcher 1 EE, I'm hoping I like 2 better this time around once I transfer my save over. At least plot wise since it was an incomprehensible mess of fantasy bullshit politics which was a major turn off for me last time around.

I still continue to really not like the game, but after a couple years of not trying it and quite enjoying myself with Witcher 1 EE, I'm hoping I like 2 better this time around once I transfer my save over. At least plot wise since it was an incomprehensible mess of fantasy bullshit politics which was a major turn off for me last time around.

That is the whole reason W2 is great though. The political implications that some how get put into the hands of a "simple" Witcher. I enjoy W3, but for me nothing will ever come close to the powerful moment of first making it to flotsam. Man what a serene, wonderful place. I wish with all my might they will go back and remaster W2 and the sections they left out.....

That is the whole reason W2 is great though. The political implications that some how get put into the hands of a "simple" Witcher. I enjoy W3, but for me nothing will ever come close to the powerful moment of first making it to flotsam. Man what a serene, wonderful place. I wish with all my might they will go back and remaster W2 and the sections they left out.....

Its a cool concept don't get me wrong but its totally as if Game of Thrones (or Song of Ice and Fire if you're a book guy) started in the middle of season 2 and half the point of view characters get cut out of the story. It does a really bad job of giving you a sense of what the hell is happening and most egregiously, caring about what's happening.

After reading the politics articles on here I got a better sense of things but 1) I shouldn't have to read stuff like that to even get a basic understanding of things and 2) that doesn't fix the issue that the game failed to make me care about everyone involved. I don't care about Geralt in the game or Triss or Letho or Iorveth and the complicated politics they're involved in. The only guy I can say I liked was Foltest and that's because of his "screw the rules of conduct for us noble people!" type of mentality.

Its a cool concept don't get me wrong but its totally as if Game of Thrones (or Song of Ice and Fire if you're a book guy) started in the middle of season 2 and half the point of view characters get cut out of the story. It does a really bad job of giving you a sense of what the hell is happening and most egregiously, caring about what's happening.

After reading the politics articles on here I got a better sense of things but 1) I shouldn't have to read stuff like that to even get a basic understanding of things and 2) that doesn't fix the issue that the game failed to make me care about everyone involved. I don't care about Geralt in the game or Triss or Letho or Iorveth and the complicated politics they're involved in. The only guy I can say I liked was Foltest and that's because of his "screw the rules of conduct for us noble people!" type of mentality.

Well if you don't care about them then obviously the story will be lacking for you. Personally I never thought the politics were too complex and I cared a lot about Geralt and Triss (before in TW1 I didn't care about them) and the new characters like Iorveth and Roche were great too. Letho was a badass and is the best villian of the series too

Top Bottom