After nearly 2000 hours with The Witcher 3, my gripes with the combat.

+
[...]

The Wolf School Armor. Where do I even begin with this nonsense? The swords give bonuses to Sign builds, the armor for Combat builds, and the set bonus for Alchemy builds! May I pose a question to you? Who in the ever-loving HELL did you design this armor for?! Don't even get me started on how worthless the set bonus actually is on its own anyway! Thank God for mods! I switched it to Griffin set bonus and my life's been a whole lot better for it! Don't ever do that to me again! Thanks!

While I'm on the subject of Sign builds, may I ask who on the development team hated Sign builds and anyone who partook of them? First you nerf Igni, then you "fix" stamina, and then you "FIX" Yrden. Last two I can perhaps deal with, but why did you massacre my boy Igni? Why did you take the one offensive spell in Geralt's repertoire and decide to just nerf it into absolute uselessness? And I am not exaggerating when I say "useless." On higher level enemies on Story and Sword alone it becomes worthless. This isn't even mentioning the higher difficulties or up-scaled enemies on said higher difficulties. Igni's glaring flaws become even more apparent in Blood and Wine™ because of the inherently more challenging enemies that hit harder. Before I move on to my next complaint involving Signs, let me stay on stamina for a moment....

Why does the mere act of holding up a sword in the parry position slow downs Geralt's stamina regeneration?
This mechanic has bugged the absolute living shite out of me since day 1 way back in 2015 as someone who heartily enjoys Signs and everything about them. This does not pose much problem for Geralt in fights against monsters. But against humans, it makes Sign builds an exercise in tedium. Shouldn't heavier armor be punishment enough for slower stamina regen? I mean, if you're going to nerf everything fun about Sign builds to begin with, let us parry with swords without worrying about stamina at the very least, for God's sake! Compare this to Alchemy builds; those players can spam bombs and potions with impunity and are basically playing on easy mode anyway even on Death March. Show me on the doll where Sign builds hurt you, CDPR. Also, you never fixed the dumb secondary Axii misfiring bug with the right trigger button. For shame. Thankfully, it can be fixed with a slight tweak in the configuration settings. Oh well.

Now, on to my last gripe, which concerns Mutations. This also involves Signs. Namely, players who choose to go into Sign builds have only one of two options when picking a mutation:

Conductors of Magic
or
Conductors of Magic

This is the only mutation worth picking because any Mutation that involves Sign Intensity does jack and SQUAT for Igni or any other signs' damage. At 200% Sign Intensity, Igni and Yrden's glyph still do paltry amounts of damage that's akin to a BB gun firing upon a tank. Hell, I've done testing, and even at 300% the damage increase is extremely minimal. Basically, intensity means nothing past the 150-180 mark, give or take. So, this is incredibly annoying for players who enjoy Signs because it pigeonholes builds into picking the same mutation every play-through. I sure would love to pick the Mutation that changes Aard into an ice spell. But I can't. Because the rest of my Signs would be absolutely WORTHLESS.

I know this is a roundabout way communicating this, but yeah. If you ever make another Witcher game in this crazy upside down clown world of ours...GIVE THE SIGN ENTHUSIASTS A GODDAMNED BREAK NEXT TIME

Last edited by a moderator:
Show me on the doll where Sign builds hurt you, CDPR.

Ok that's pretty funny.

As for stamina slowing regen on parry, seems like a good disincentive to just holding parry up and being impervious to most human attacks until you can drop another Sign.

Ok that's pretty funny.

As for stamina slowing regen on parry, seems like a good disincentive to just holding parry up and being impervious to most human attacks until you can drop another Sign.
I see where you're coming from, but you're missing the key difference here. Holding the parry button =/= actually parrying an attack. I shouldn't be slowing down my stamina regeneration merely by holding the button down while waiting for an attack. That's absolute nonsense. Especially when CDPR incentivizes it with things like counterattacks and deflecting bolts and arrows.

Top Bottom