after this game CD Projekt Red will become the Ultimate RPG compnay

+
No it's not. Their stories and visuals are top notch, but voice acting they've got a mixed bag compared to Bioware and are inferior to them cinematic wise. Gameplay wise From Software and even the Mass Effect team have delivered better quality then CDPR.

Mass Effect? Really?

---------- Updated at 10:49 PM ----------

All i'm gono say is Witcher series & Pillars of Eternity restored my faith in RPGs, Inquisition sure as hell didn't.

Bioware was awesome in the early days, Baldurs Gate and KOTOR era, might as well throw in Origins and first Mass Effect, but ever since then they were just being an overall dissapointment for me. Bethesda is more or less the same, even though i prefer Oblivion & Morrowind to Skyrim, same for New Vegas to Fallout 3.

Inquisition has the worst quest design I've ever seen.

---------- Updated at 10:50 PM ----------

the best game bioware ever made in my opinion.

Baldur's Gate.

Since everyone's talking about BioWare glory days, I'd like to throw in Jade Empire. It wasn't perfect, but it was lovely and memorable.

Since everyone's talking about BioWare glory days, I'd like to throw in Jade Empire. It wasn't perfect, but it was lovely and memorable.

yep enjoyed this game aswell, i wonder why there aren't more martial art RPG games perfect combination, look at geralt Boxing minigame :p

Tuco

Forum veteran
They can continue to support The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt with a smaller team to make more expansions, new places to see with new adventures.
Maybe even take the chance to patch out of the game that awful, AWFUL idea of loot scaling they revealed few weeks ago, as they are on it.

Even if The Witcher 3 is an outrageous success, I doubt CD Projekt RED will have as much funding as Bathesda or BioWare right away. It will be a few years before they're unequivocally the best RPG developer. And even then, I don't care so much about whether or they're "the best." I would much rather they challenge Bathesda and BioWare to take things to a higher level, and then we can have a trifecta of AAA RPG developers who bring RPGs to the forefront of gaming.

I think seeing the Hype for TW3 it could be rated and sell as well as Skyrim... wich would be enormous for CDPR of course..

It will be a blessing and a curse... because from now on greatness will be expected from them. Cyberpunk 2077 will get even more hype if TW3 does as well as it looks it will... so they will make alot of money with TW3 and gain alot of fame... but the pressure will rise.

CD Projekt imo hold the crown for the best RPG developer. Bioware lost theirs some years ago. Piranha Bytes held it for a while during the Gothic 1 and 2 time. Hopefully CD Projekt continue to be the kings of RPGs with others giving some serious competition to them. Bioware is just the court Jester at this time.

i think The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt will make Huge profits for the company, it will make it much larger then it is right now, they will officially take Bethesda Throne of the best RPG game developers and squash bioware

You call Bethesda or Bioware best RPG developers? I disagree. They are nowhere best. Unless you measure "best" not in the sense of good games, but in the sense of mass market reach. If so, then think again. Mass market reach rarely comes without losing that very quality which makes best games. So if anything, growth of CDPR will introduce more challenges about how to continue making good games without falling under the pressure of mass market mediocrity.

Last edited:
The Witcher 1 did not have the best graphics, writing, or voice acting, but it had authenticity and showed that it was the work of a developer that made the best game that they could with their limited resources. Gamers could tell that the REDs had put their hearts into the game, and I and many were astonished by the atmosphere of the game, the incredible music, and the art style. Bioware, Bethesda, and Ubisoft games have much higher production values, but the gamer feels that most of them are just cash grabs. There is not much innovation and improvement going on with those companies, and they keep milking their franchises. On the other hand CDPR has taken huge leaps with each game, and right now they are releasing the Witcher 3 with such huge open world brought to life by famous voice actors such as Charles Dance.

You know what is incredible, the fact that CDPR is working with a significantly lower budget compared to the budget those aforementioned companies put in their games. And yet the Witcher 3 looks so promising and amazing that it has been the most anticipated game for a while now. CDPR is capable of producing high quality games with much less resources, so CDPR has a much higher productivity rate. Couple this with CDPR's attitude towards their fans, and Bioware and the rest of them have a worthy competitor and They better step up their games.

CDPR and Rockstar are my two favorite game developers right now, because they improve their games with each release.

Cheers to CDPR, and I wish them the best.

If this thread is primarily about bashing OTHER RPGs/developers, it'll get closed very quickly.
Just saying.

I would much rather they challenge Bathesda and BioWare to take things to a higher level, and then we can have a trifecta of AAA RPG developers who bring RPGs to the forefront of gaming.

I actually think -- given that currently Bioware and Bethesda are making games that are extremely high budgets and still only come of as 'okay' -- that CDPR are bringing back a quality that we've missed in previous arcs of RPG gaming. Regardless of "All Time Greatness" factors, which I will pay to Bioware given that their name is still on BG and NWN, right at this moment they aren't making stuff that compares to the Witcher games remotely (for me, at any rate).

So my hope is that, as Phinnway says, there's a realisation within those other RPG centric companies that there's a need for a greater quality if they're going to compete with CDPR. They could very well continue to make mediocre games with a lot of money, but they might also very well try to meet the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's standard.

Thus far, CDPR have seemingly put their very best into each game they've produced. If they continue to put their very best efforts to make such amazing games, then I have no doubt that that attitude will be what makes them the next greatest RPG company. Maybe they can dethrone Bioware in the future? Who knows. At present though, Bioware's attitude isn't so sharp, so that'd have to change if we're to see anything particularly amazing from them in the near future.

Regardless of "All Time Greatness" factors, which I will pay to Bioware given that their name is still on BG and NWN, right at this moment they aren't making stuff that compares to the Witcher games remotely (for me, at any rate).
They aren't even making anything that compares to their games of old. Today such games are made by Obsidian, inXile, Larian and others as we all know.

So my hope is that, as Phinnway says, there's a realisation within those other RPG centric companies that there's a need for a greater quality if they're going to compete with CDPR. They could very well continue to make mediocre games with a lot of money, but they might also very well try to meet the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's standard.

I'm not sure they are interested in competing on quality. They make a lot of money by conveyer production of mediocre mass market stuff and profiting from the sheer volume of it. It's a very different approach from appealing to those who value quality over quantity. So even if CDPR will have a blasting success with the Witcher 3, I doubt it will prompt Bioware and Bethesda to produce better games (which will take them more time and will slow down their mass production conveyer). So I don't even see them as competitors. For me CDPR competes with the above league that I mentioned, which actually makes interesting RPGs, and not with Bioware or Bethesda.

Last edited:
i think The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt will make Huge profits for the company, it will make it much larger then it is right now, they will officially take Bethesda Throne of the best RPG game developers and squash bioware, and establish themselves as the new "benchmark" as it comes to RPG games every new open world rpg will have to be compered to the witcher 3 as was skyrim until now.

Today I did something I rarely do -- I walked inside a Walmart, and in there I noticed half a shelf full of DA:I copies. Hopefully that same shelf is going to have TW3 on it soon, but I don't know anyone IRL who's ever heard of the game. CDPR has a lot of ground to cover in terms of exposure. What little they have tends to filter through to the proles as "skyrim with sex" [1]. (Google many youtube vids of TW3 and look at the conversations in the comment sections.) I wonder if they'll end up attracting the wrong sort of audience, so even if they do "dethrone" the sales kings of the industry they may end up catering to people who steer them in the wrong direction -- casualization, "streamlined" quests, quantity over quality, bland writing, etc.

[1] Note: I'm not against sex in games -- TW does that part well enough -- it's just that it isn't an accurate summary for many reasons.

If this thread is primarily about bashing OTHER RPGs/developers, it'll get closed very quickly.
Just saying.

Yes!

Let's stick to bashing CDPR as usual, dammit! These are -their- forums!

Anyway.

I consider CDPR to be among the best RPG developers and my favourite AAA company.

I can think of no other RPG company trying someting quite so ambitious at all...never mind sequentially.

In a few years, we'll know how it played out. But, I am optimistic that as long as they remain true to their principles of story and character first, minimal but necessary compromise on other things second, they will remain in this upper-upper class of developers.

CDPR has a lot of ground to cover in terms of exposure. What little they have tends to filter through to the proles as "skyrim with sex"

Naw, if people buy it because they expect it to be a medieval version of Leisure Suit Larry, with sex as the quest objectives, they will be a ) disappointed that it isn't true, b ) happy at the number of brothels or c ) totally enthralled to discover that Mature means more than just Lots of Sex. Unless it keeps the game off those Walmart shelves, I don't think the reputation it has will do that much harm. And "Banned by Walmart" may actually increase sales.

if i am correct black isles last game was in 2004 - a decade back.Anyway Baldurs gate was developed by bioware and published by black isle.( well you can say some old games like planetscape torment, but they were released when i was 2 )
b;adurs gate , jade empire , mass effect , dragon age , star wars. need i say more?

Honestly I think TW2 was very light in the cRPG department, even though it is one of my favorite games of all time. If TW3 continues the tradition, it will revolutionize gaming but it won't be the RPG of the ages. So while I do think CDPR are taking gaming to a whole new level of story telling, narrative, visual design, reactivity and so on, there might be *other* games that deliver a better role-playing experience. Just saying. I might be mistaken and perhaps TW3 will blow us all away.

Stone me now.

Last edited:
Stone me now.

Can't. You're too far away for this *$&&% Nurgle-blasted catapult to reach.

Don't really want to go into the "what is an RPG" argument here, but I will say that CDPR has gotten closer to simulating my PnP RPG experience than any other developer, offhand.

Of course, I do tend to play gritty, mean PnP games where my character, ( and generally everyone else's) is gritty, mean and dooommedmed.

As opposed to something like Divinity Original Sin or Pillars of Eternity, which was a..group..simulator? I guess? It didn't replicate my fellow players or give me a fix on playing my character, though.

Which to me is central to Role Playing and why CDPR took the crown from Troika and Vampire Bloodlines: I felt like I was role-playing Geralt. Even if it was that pesky Third Person which kept jerking me out of his head.

I'm not sure they are interested in competing on quality.

I'm aware of that and I was *hoping* maybe that'd change. It'd be nice to have more games that treat the players like adults, regardless of who it comes from. If it doesn't change, then personally CDPR has a nice, large open space to expand and develop with today's technology. This, as Sard says, if they keep to their current philosophies in regards to game creation.

If that's the case, then my personal vote is that CDPR is RPG king in this current day and age.

Top Bottom