Against Stats on Gear

+
Currently gear in cyberpunk has two attributes that matter, armour and mod slots. Beyond these there is little consideration to what gear you should wear beyond personal style choice.

The 1st of these armour is pretty much irrelevant. 40 armour stops approx 1 point of physical ranged damage so if you're going to switch out those cool 20 armour shades for a 21 point clown mask then you just don't understand how armour works.

The second of these is mod slots and currently it is so cheap and easy to get decked out in 3/4 slot legendaries just from buying at the stores, you don't need maximum slots. There are plenty of cool looking clothing items that you can mix and match, there is no need to look like a clown. The relative power of mods to your level serve as a limiter to your power based on level and can be used by CDPR to balance the game accordingly based on difficulty. (Not saying they have done this right, saying that on paper they can balance the game)

As soon as you start applying attributes to clothing you begin to narrow your choices of what your character can wear if you min/max, and begin to make your choices on placement of attributes less meaningful. For the min/maxers it will lead to the stage where we are carrying around 5 sets of clothing to change into to complete a skill check. ah those wardrobe mods in wow. Attribute choices should matter and they open different avenues and paths for completing quests in the game based on your choices.

I don't need intelligence on my netrunner suit, I'm a netrunner, I should probably be placing 20 points in intelligence and we all know, the best net-runners just don't need armour

My best mod for style and clothing freedom is hide armour at any given slot (I generally hide my hat and inner or outer chest and stick shop brought legendaries in there the rest of my clothing I wear whatever). When I loot gear now my only consideration is, does it look cooler than what I have for the style I want. I think that hide armour in any slot should be build into the core game for console users.

------------------------------------

So, given the above, My question is what are the arguments for more stats on gear and how will that give me more choice in what I choose to dress my toon up in?

Guest 3847602

So, given the above, My question is what are the arguments for more stats on gear and how will that give me more choice in what I choose to dress my toon up in?
Honestly? I can't think of any, apart from "it's a video game". Probably the thing I dislike the most about Cyberpunk. Clothing should not have armour stats, but bonuses and penalties depending on their type:
Heavy armour set = large bonus to armour stat, severe penalty to agility
Kevlar vest = moderate bonus to armour, minor penalty to agility
Hazmat suit = immunity to fire
Regular clothes = no bonus to armour, no penalty to agility, bonus to "cool" stat, based on their price and rarity

Honestly? I can't think of any, apart from "it's a video game". Probably the thing I dislike the most about Cyberpunk. Clothing should not have armour stats, but bonuses and penalties depending on their type:
Heavy armour set = large bonus to armour stat, severe penalty to agility
Kevlar vest = moderate bonus to armour, minor penalty to agility
Hazmat suit = immunity to fire
Regular clothes = no bonus to armour, no penalty to agility, bonus to "cool" stat, based on their price and rarity
netrunner suits, some sort of perk like extra speed to upload hacks to encourage people to wear them if they want to play a netrunner or extra ram, or additional breach time? (could also be combined with nerfing the perk in case it gets to OP)

I think I like those sort of benefits, Military type outfit giving a bonus to armour, rather than a negative to agility clothing could be given a minimum body to wear,

I wonder if this functionality could not be handled by mod slots by attaching a stat to a mod slot... combat type gear could have 2*armour mod slots in which you have to put armadillo and 1 type utility whilst a netrunner suit 3*utility, perhaps also creating some new mods, so a mod tht increases hacking speed for a netrunner utility slot.

Guest 3847602

I wonder if this functionality could not be handled by mod slots by attaching a stat to a mod slot... combat type gear could have 2*armour mod slots in which you have to put armadillo and 1 type utility whilst a netrunner suit 3*utility, perhaps also creating some new mods, so a mod tht increases hacking speed for a netrunner utility slot.
It probably can, but I'd still prefer more grounded, less "gamey" system.
Mods could resolve some issues, but I feel like game relying on them too much would be a problem in itself.
Edit: Of course, this is assuming we're speaking about the ideal, long-term solution.

CP 2077 system is AFAIK inherited from the tabletop game. And it's not also that far fetched at all considering that is future setting with even better processes and ability to create and use even better materials.

I recommend checking bulletproof clothing options available today: Bulletproof Clothing for Adults | Bulletproof Jackets | Bulletproof Zone

There are far more options available even today, if you look around.

For me current system works very well as it allows me to focus on other things in game than stats and IMO allows most versatility for players.

I wouldn't mind more stats on gear, but I like taking the time to compare and calculate which is better for whatever role I have. Makes it more exciting to look something purple or orange as well rather than just looks like it is now.
Also don't mind having multiple sets for different scenarios, like real life :) If I'm gonna go running then I'll use clothes and shoes suited for that, rather than a suit tailored for work stuff n so on.
Gameplay could also add how npc's see you. If you show up in heavy armour then guards might be more alert compared to casual outfit that the other people in that area use. Corpos treat you better if you're wearing a suit than some ripped t-shirt n jeans look, and Nomads vice versa and so on.

Either way they should add transmog options, early in the game you look like a clown as the options for multiple mod slots are limited until you get your level, streetcred and money up :)

Honestly when I started the game I would have thought that clothes would add skills a bit like weapons. But no.
The solution, for me, would be to add a lot of mods that would each provide an "improvement". So that everyone can dress as they want regardless of the build.
Mods like :
  • Increase QH upload speed by 5%.
  • Increase Gorilla arms damage by 5.
  • Decrease enemies detection by 5%.
  • Increase SMG accuracy by 5%.
  • Reduce the Handguns malus by 5% (distance).
  • Increase body skill by 1 (only for use "heavy" weapons and not for install cyberwares).
Not too high bonus because it could be easy to have a giant bonus if you install them on all of your mod slot.

And the most important, solve the damn random mod slot on clothes.
Mod slot like that :
  • Armor slot : Armors mods only (armadillo or others actual mods).
  • Mod slot : Habilities mods only.
Clothes like that :
  • common : no mod slot at all.
  • uncommon : random one armor mod slot.
  • rare : one armor slot and one random mod slot.
  • Epic : two armor slot and one mod slot.
  • Legendary : two armor slot and two mod slot.

I use this:

it adds variable bonuses for skill checks and stats based on the style and number of pieces of a particular style you wear. Something the vanilla game certainly should have included, among other things. I'm hopeful that CDPR is paying close attention to what the modding community is adding to the game, and takes a few pointers from it.

Honestly when I started the game I would have thought that clothes would add skills a bit like weapons. But no.
The solution, for me, would be to add a lot of mods that would each provide an "improvement". So that everyone can dress as they want regardless of the build.
There's something I was going to write about in it's own topic but:

Why clothes should have anything to do with weapons except for crit chance as it works now? Especially when it looks like weapon mod system is unfinished?

Why there couldn't be Epic silencer that would be -15% damage +2,5 X damage from stealth, but also -5% recoil on handguns and submachine guns? And legendary variant could be similar stats but and/or -10% recoil / -5% reload time?

Or Rare/Epic/Legendary Pulverize?

Current system allows easy compartmentalization for players.
Clothing: damage reduction, immunities, carrying capacity, movement speed etc. and crit chance / damage as universal (important, melee)
Weapons: Weapon damage, attack related status effect, recoil, reload time, headshot damage etc.

Things could be swapped around but I don't see what would be gained from that and result would be far less accessible.

Things could be swapped around but I don't see what would be gained from that and result would be far less accessible.
I think, you could prefer to add a few mods to "decrease enemy detection", "Handgun malus reduction", "QH upload speed" or "QH recharging speed" by reducing your total armor (less armor mods).
And except crit chance mods, crit damage mods, walking speed or armadillos, all the other mods are pretty useless (all the immunities can be obtain by cyberwares or with perk).

And add those kind of abilities via Mods, because you could wear whatever clothes, whatever your build. If you are "Street Brawler" and like netrunner suit, you can wear it and also have "street brawler" abilities.

Let's imagine a mods who increase the target aquiring speed for smart weapons by 5% (who is already exist as weapon abilitie +50%). It could be named "Smart Link Optimizer" and be install on all of your cloths.

Last edited:
Top Bottom