Aglais needs to be reworded or changed

+
Deploy: On turn end, double the amount of boosts on self.

But that's not true. It's "On turn end, of the first turn that has boosts applied to Aglais, double them"

Lost a match to this because I thought the card did what it said. 0 boosts is an amount of boosts. Doubling 0 is 0. Boosting her the next turn should absolutely not activate the deploy ability and the only reason anyone would think it would would be because they already knew that's how it works.

Refocusing on the point of the thread, how does this work as a description?

Deploy: Any boosts applied to self during the turn are doubled when the turn is ended.

Deploy: Any boosts applied to self during the turn are doubled when the turn is ended.

The problem is not with the description, the problem is that the boosts are doubled not only on the turn when you play her, but also on any of the subsequent turns.

So either her ability needs to be fixed, or "Deploy" should be removed from the ability.

The best solution, I think, is to bring her in line with other cards like Olaf and give her this ability:

Order: Boost Aeglais by the amount she is boosted. Zeal.

I thought maybe CDPR worded it the way it is to avoid using order mechanic in ST, but Schirru and some other cards have it too.

So most likely it's the ability that works wrong, so it needs to be fixed, not the description.

Hmm still confusing. The "deploy" part implies that the turn in which the boost applies is the one in which you deploy her. Like when you deploy Geralt Professional, that's when you get to kill your opponent's unit.

But Aglais can be boosted during any later turn and the effect will still trigger (once).

Seems pretty hard to describe. As much as I love her, I think the fairest thing would be to change the ability to what the description implies.

P.S.: Btw, if she is already handboosted when you deploy her, that will trigger her ability at the end of the turn - so you can't wait as you could if your brought her out fresh.

P.S.: Btw, if she is already handboosted when you deploy her, that will trigger her ability at the end of the turn - so you can't wait as you could if your brought her out fresh.

Yes, but you can still boost her more by thunderbolts and whatnot (combos with Vysogota or Nenneke are also possible on the Arena).

Honestly I still prefer my original suggestion of ""On turn end, of the first turn that has boosts applied to Aglais, double them" Just because it's slightly more accurate and less ambiguous. One would probably assume that boosts are only doubled once with your description but it's not actually stated that way in any way. I could see someone going "well I gave her a swallow so why didn't it double at the end of the turn". This is unless they change the way the card actually works.

Changing her from deploy to order zeal would have minor balance implications where she would no longer need to be played but could be summoned. Of course with how much setup she requires any time she's summoned you're probably screwed. It would also change her overall ability where you could add more boosts than in a single turn unless they made it really confusing in how it worked.

Changing her from deploy to order zeal would have minor balance implications where she would no longer need to be played but could be summoned. It would also change her overall ability where you could add more boosts than in a single turn unless they made it really confusing in how it worked.

Order/zeal would turn her into high-risk high-reward card which also could be activated over 1 turn (by being previously handbuffed, for instance). It would also remove any confusion related to how and when she doubles the boosts on herself.

Let's not get mired in gameplay elements, yet -- it seems that we haven't even identified what, precisely, the problem is.

- Is the description incorrect?

- Is the description correct, but the card functions incorrectly?

- Does there appear to be a bug in which the card functions incorrectly only in certain instances?

To me, the OP seems to be indicating that the card's description does not reflect the actual execution in gameplay. If so, that's a semantic argument. It has nothing to do with the balance of the card itself. Let's fix one issue at a time.

From what I gather, the individual ideas that apply are:

1.) I may apply one or more boosts to the card during the present turn.
2.) Boosts on the card may have been carried over from a prior turn.
3.) The turn will end.
4.) Only boosts applied on the present turn should be doubled.

Is any part of that incorrect?

I just believe it should work as one would believe it would from how it's written where on the turn it's deployed, at the end of that turn, the amount it is boosted by should be doubled. So if at the end of the turn it's played it's not boosted it does not ever get a double boost. Or they should change the wording to indicate how it actually works.

So 1 and 3

I just believe it should work as one would believe it would from how it's written where on the turn it's deployed, at the end of that turn, the amount it is boosted by should be doubled. So if at the end of the turn it's played it's not boosted it does not ever get a double boost. Or they should change the wording to indicate how it actually works.

So 1 and 3

It's still not clear whether this was intended or not. Basically, what we can say is that the card is not functioning the way the card describes.

Deploy: On turn end, double the amount of boosts on self.

Based upon what the description does say, all of the following should be true:

1.) IF I have any active boosts on the card, they will all be doubled.
2.) IF I do not have an active boost on the card, nothing will be doubled.
3.) The doubling effect, if any, applies only to Aglais (read: "self").
4.) The doubling effect occurs at the end of the turn.
5.) Since the "Deploy" tag is added, this doubling effect should only apply to the turn the card was played.

If anything above is not happening, or if more is happening, then it's indicative of an issue somewhere. My goal here is to clarify what needs to be sent into Support. From the sound of it, it seems that her ability will trigger during turns where it should not apply. That's what needs to be sent in.

Speculating about how it could work differently is fine, just ensure that's not part of the bug report.

5.) Since the "Deploy" tag is added, this doubling effect should only apply to the turn the card was played.

Right here is where the concern lies. Deploy implies a unit will hit the board and activate an ability. Aglais does not observe such behavior.

A very similar card would be Hubert Rejk. The card reads, "Deploy: Boost self by the amount of damage you dealt to enemies on this turn.". To my knowledge you cannot place this card on the board, deal no damage and "save" the ability for later. In order to use this card you must deal damage and immediately place the card. The wording is slightly different but Aglais is still inconsistent with deploy abilities. She can be placed on the board without any active boosts and her deploy ability will not activate until you place a boost on her.

To simplify, if Aglais is deploying to the board she should buff by whatever amount of boosts she has active. If this number is zero her ability should still proc, even though she will not be buffed by any amount, to be consistent with deploy abilities. Otherwise it's not really a deploy ability. Deploying her merely makes the buff proc ability available.

I think the easiest way to alter her would be to take her off deploy and apply both Orders and Zeal to the card. Yes, this would give more freedom in how she is used. I don't think that would necessarily be a bad thing. Nor would it change the way she is played much, if at all. It would merely make her description better match the behavior.

Right here is where the concern lies. Deploy implies a unit will hit the board and activate an ability. Aglais does not observe such behavior.

I disagree. "Deploy" in this case can simply mean "that one turn", as it should apply at the end of the single turn in which the card was deployed. The delayed nature of the power doesn't necessarily negate the fact that it applies only upon "deployment".

As for the rest of what you're saying, that's why I'm inclined to believe it's a bug in the mechanics. If I buff her the same turn I deploy her, then all of those buffs get doubled at the end. If I buff her in subsequent turns, she does not get the doubling effect, just the normal buff. It's actually perfectly clear how it should be working based on the description.

As for other ways it could be handled -- who knows? Our destinies will be laid bare in the course of time.

As for the rest of what you're saying, that's why I'm inclined to believe it's a bug in the mechanics. If I buff her the same turn I deploy her, then all of those buffs get doubled at the end. If I buff her in subsequent turns, she does not get the doubling effect, just the normal buff. It's actually perfectly clear how it should be working based on the description.

Just so I understand you, are you saying that this is what SHOULD happen based on the description?
In that case, I would agree.

But that is not what happens. Her boosts double on whichever turn you boost her for the first time.

Which was a surprise even to me, who have been playing her almost from the very beginning. I accidentally discovered this while giving her a boost after misplaying her out of my hand.

I disagree. "Deploy" in this case can simply mean "that one turn", as it should apply at the end of the single turn in which the card was deployed. The delayed nature of the power doesn't necessarily negate the fact that it applies only upon "deployment".

Oh I'm not disagreeing here. I mean deploy units typically are placed onto the board and the deploy ability immediately activates. Once it has activated it can no longer do so. If a unit had a deploy ability where it buffed by 1 point per turn, on every turn end thereafter, it would be fine. I don't think this fits the behavior for Aglais. If it did her deploy ability, that is double all boosts at the turn end, would activate even in the event she was at base power. It simply wouldn't do anything meaningful.

As mentioned above it would appear the deploy ability on Aglais "tags" her with the, "Double all boosts at the end of the turn.". This ability doesn't activate when she is placed onto the board. Placing her on the board means whenever she receives any buffs they will double at the end of the turn she received them. This.... doesn't feel like a deploy card. It feels like an order card with zeal without player activation. The bigger issue is there is no way to know it behaves this way off the card description without being told or seeing it do so.

If Aglais is going to work as she does the deploy wording should probably be removed and, "On turn end, double the amount of boosts on self.", should be the card description instead of, "Deploy: On turn end, double the amount of boosts on self.". It would be more consistent with the way the ability works.

That wording implies that EVERY turn she would keep doubling her boosts, like i mention before there is nothing wrong with deploy on her tooltip, you're just confused regarding what the effect is.

So it's Round 3 and it's my turn and I play Aglais but already used my Francesca leader in Round 2 so I coudn't buff her with any card from the graveyard (or from the board) in the same turn. She's was pretty much a dead 2 point (that I coudn't mulligan) card right? Wrong! Next turn I buff her with the ale that I had in my hand and to my surprise she's gets boosted by 8 like her DEPLOY ability was supposed to do. I won that game by 1 and felt really bad for my opponent because that wasn't suppose to happen. Or am I getting it all wrong?

Hi,

Its not a bug. Its her feature. The description is a bit misleading and should be something like "Boost once by the amount this unit is boosted at the end of the turn it is boosted for the first time" ...

well ... not really a literature masterpiece but thats what she is doing :p

Breli

Hi,

Its not a bug. Its her feature. The description is a bit misleading and should be something like "Boost once by the amount this unit is boosted at the end of the turn it is boosted for the first time" ...

well ... not really a literature masterpiece but thats what she is doing :p

Breli

Thanks for the response. Then the devs need to change her description because as it stands if my opponent thinks she is a dead 2 point card (like he was, in fact we both thought she was) and doesn't remove her, he is in for a surprise.

Top Bottom