Alchemy System is a mess...

+
By the way, was it mentioned somewhere (officially or unofficially) why oils are infinite and don't have any X/X uses?

They are limited only in the way that they last for 20 hits, and then have for be re applied... but, again, since we can go to the inventory at any time, that's a minor inconvenience, at the most.

The whole alcohol thing wasn't implemented all that well. There's so much alcohol in the world. However, to make White Gull, you need Cherry and Mandrake Cordials which you don't end up finding anywhere except for purchase at the taverns. Also, I haven't found one single use for beer yet. I haven't had any reason to just go and drink with people. I was hoping that they would have something similar to TW1 where you could go and have a few drinks with people to get information out of them.

exactly. and then the world is chock full of Dwarven Spirit for some reason that drops everywhere, whereas few liquors are either very rare find or available only from the innkeepers. I don't get this system to be honest.

---------- Updated at 03:17 PM ----------

They are limited only in the way that they last for 20 hits, and then have for be re applied... but, again, since we can go to the inventory at any time, that's a minor inconvenience, at the most.

I think we can't reapply them or change them mid combat, that's the only limitation there is.

I guess the devs themselves assumed that some people might want to play the game avoiding the auto-refill mechanic altogether and craft potions, bombs and oils the traditional way instead. Hence the abundance of ingredients and alcohol, and in particular dwarven spirit.

I think it's great of them to at least "leave the door open" a bit and not brute force the current system on everyone.

Last edited:
I don't mind the auto refill, I just look at it as something that happens off camera. What I do wish there was are drinking animations like in Dragon Age Inquisition. Swig back the potion and throw away the bottle.

Last edited:
Just like other people, i don't get what happened to Alchemy. Something must've been changed late in development to make it like it is now. The kit can't be released soon enough.

The only major gripe I have about the game is this. My inventory is now loaded with plants that I probably won't ever have to use.

I don't know why they thought this system would be a good idea in a straight RPG. Maybe in other types of games, but not RPG. Way, way too casual. And not fitting the lore at all.

I wouldn't actually mind if it auto-refilled during meditation. But it needs to be a potion-specific, player chosen option and it still needs to consume the regular ingredients, not just alcohol.

Last edited:
I Agree, the system looks too much casual.
I really enjoyed the systems of TW1 and TW2, even if they where different, they had more pro's than con's.

In this game, alchemy is s**t, because :
1. A simple diluition refills a bottle? Why are there so many alchemy ingredients? Just to sell them? Earn lots of money is never a problem in this game...
2. It looks ok to me to drink anytime(although I liked TW2 system), but WHY there is no animation at all? You can even pause and drink!
3. the quick slot is limited to 2 potions at time, so you have to press 'I' several times, every combat. Very annoying!

So here's my suggestion (I hope in cdp or modders):
1. After the creation, the next refills require some alchemy ingredients (like herbs), but in a lesser quantity
2 Let the player drink during meditation (increasing duration, decreasing effectiveness and toxicity), or "on the go", with shorter duration, more toxicity and effects adding an animation
3. Add some quick slot.

Notice that similiar suggestion to 1 and 2 where suggested in the posts before.

Somewhat related is the crafting system for bombs: you cannot craft them without meditating. Does anyone actually like this method? I have all the ingredients yet i have to skip time in order to craft them.

What alchemy? All I do is occasionally scroll the alchemy list and craft anything that's green.

I don't know if I'm supposed to keep picking flowers and pick up all the other random stuff from every single container in the game, so I grab everything.

The game "gives" me the design if it's needed for a quest, so it's not like I ever have to really look for anything.

Last edited:
I guess the devs themselves assumed that some people might want to play the game avoiding the auto-refill mechanic altogether and craft potions, bombs and oils the traditional way instead. Hence the abundance of ingredients and alcohol, and in particular dwarven spirit.

I think it's great of them to at least "leave the door open" a bit and not brute force the current system on everyone.

Well if thats the case, why make it so convoluted that we have to drop the items after use to make more?
Why not just make it a game option which system you want to use instead?

I for one practically never use meditation, not even to replenish my HP as I get more than enough food drops to handle that, so for me it actually detracts from the gameplay to have to do it.

The Alchemy system used to be different. It used to be that you could consume a potion before battle, but it wouldnt activate until you used your "Witcher Metabolism" to activate it at the correct time. Thats why theirs no drinking animation.

You were supposed to meditate, drink, and activate at will during combat. It required research to know what to drink before battle, and good timing to get the most out of your potion. Potions were also not auto refill.

Their was a huge uproar after they revealed this though, so they changed it very late into development

You mean this whole time I could have been just been throwing the empty potions/bombs and crafting new ones instead of using the auto refill, wasting strong alcohols just to get back a full charge of one or two potions and or bombs? Good to know, I am so doing this. As for the topic on hand I agree that some ingredients should be expended during the refill to make gathering more viable even though doing it to save the strong alcohol for other things and just do the toss and recraft makes it a tiny bit better, for me at least.

The real question is:How the hell do bombs replenish with the use of alchohol....replenishing potions i can understand,but bombs? seriously xD

I absolutely agree. Alchemy system does not work at all. Developers remake it or will it be community mod, but it will be done. It is sad to see that the developers have made such a failure in such a beautiful game.

I strongly agree.

What a disappointment in such a good game !

I understand that some people don't like to "farm" for ingredients but for god sake some others DO !

How could I play in death march, dealing with strong ennemis in very tight fights, and create infinite bombs with alcohol by meditating ? .....

We should have the option to farm ingredients to make those potions, oils and bombs.

Actually I count on this mod creator to do the job :
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/54/?

But some inputs from CD Projekt would be very appreciated.

Red

I think there should be a window open to ask you to create more potions or oil every time you rest... and cost materials, too

Top Bottom