All Leaders = New Ranking

+
All Leaders = New Ranking

Now, that we have a list of all Leaders available during Closed Beta, I think it's time to judge their abilities in terms of power.

Here are my ranking of power and Early Thoughs:

1. King Bran (Discard 2 cards from your hand to your Graveyard. Choose any card in your deck and place it in your hand.):

In any CCG, ability to take any card from your deck is very strong opportunity, and despite of fact that in terms of Hand advantage you ends with -2 after use, discarding cards like Clan an Craite Raiders, or having Clan Dimun Pirate Captains on the field can reforge this disadvantage into advantage.

2. Brouver Hoog (Choose a Silver card from your deck and play it.):

If you add to your deck Silvers that are important for your strategy, or, well, some kind of strong Silver, like Yaevinn, Brouver gives you guarantee that you will be able to use it in every duel.

3. Francesca (Choose up to 3 cards from your hand and replace them with cards randomly drawn from your deck.):

Her ability allows you, together with starting mulligan, to change up to 6 cards from your starting hand, which minimazes possiblity of getting a "Bad Hand".

4. Eithne (Choose any unit on your side of the battlefield and play it again.):

Cards like Iorveth, Elven mercenary, basically any unit with strong ability has great synergy here.

5. Dagon (Create and play one of the following: Biting Frost, Impenetrable Fog or Torrential Rain.):

Even after nerf of Weatherbound abilities, Monster still are able to get many uses of weathers, and with Dagon, even if you don't get Weather card, or any unit that are able to play weather in your starting hand, you can use any of it.

6. Ge'els (Choose a row on your site of the battlefield and set the value of all non-Gold units on it to 6.):

Obviously it means to work if any muster/Monster Nest decks/combos, the more and weaker units you place on one row, the greater value you will get from him.

7.Henselt (Choose a row on your side of the battlefield and convert all units on it to Gold.):

Theoretically, if NR still has ability that adds 2 STR to all Gold units on your field, you can compare his ability with that of Ge'els's, and IMO, this ability cames out weaker, yet has great synergy with cards like Reinforced Siege Tower.

8. Foltest (Choose a Bronze unit on your side of the battlefield and create and play a copy of it.):

If, according to description, Foltest will be not only giving you a pure STR, but also allowing you to use that unit ability, then it gained a good Value from KTS time.

9. Ex aequo Radovid and Eredin (Choose any unit on the battlefield and remove 10 STR from it, and Create and play an Eredin unit (10 STR, Melee)):

Those 2 leaders does practically the same thing in case of Strength change, Radovid removes (albeit up to) 10 STR from opponent, and Eredin gives you 10 STR.

10. Crach an Craite (Create and play 2 Clan an Craite Warrior units):

During KTS, they were both a 7 STR, Melee units, they purpose was I think to counter Eredin ability, and if that's still the case, I guess they had been nerfed to 5 STR each.

11. Harald the Cripple (Remove 4 STR from all units on your opponent's side of battlefield whose STR is below its original value):

This ability is the most difficult to get a value, even not the fact of working only on Wounded units, but that bit about "original value", which, if battling against some kind of "heavy buffing units" strategies/decks, you may even not have an occasion to use it.

Those are my thoughs, what are yours ?, how would you judge abilities that we will be using Soon ?

Last edited:
How can you say that Foltest and Eithne have similar powers? You are comparing a leader who can replay any card on the battlefield, and by any, whether it is gold, silver and bronze, and play it again and another who can copy and play a bronze card. In what way Foltest is better exactly?

Ranking powers makes no sense anyway in my opinion because they are all situational and depend on their own decks and factions as well.

How can you say that Foltest and Eithne have similar powers? You are comparing a leader who can replay any card on the battlefield, and by any, whether it is gold, silver and bronze, and play it again and another who can copy and play a bronze card. In what way Foltest is better exactly?

Ranking powers makes no sense anyway in my opinion because they are all situational and depend on their own decks and factions as well.

Hmm, that bit with Eithne avoided me somehow when I created this, and I know that after deeper thoughts such rankings doesn't have sense, but I wanted to know what forum members thinks about our leaders and their powers.

I agree with most of the descriptions, but I don't think that preparing ranking of all leader is reasonable. One reason is that leaders are devided by factions, so if you want to put them into the ranking, is should be within faction. Second reason is that there is no extreme weak leader and extreme strong leader in my opinion. Some of them are more universal than other, it is true. But each of them will be very useful in well prepared and specialized deck corresponding to ability of choosen leader.

Some thoughts:

7. Foltest (Choose a Bronze unit on your side of the battlefield and create and play a copy of it.):

If, according to description, Foltest will be not only giving you a pure STR, but also allowing you to use that unit ability, then it gained a good Value from KTS time.

8. Eithne (Choose any unit on your side of the battlefield and play it again.):

Very similar to Foltest's ability, you only not gain additional STR.

They are different, In my opinion even balanced. Foltest gives you str, yes, but Eithne let you to use ability some of silver card (which are more powerful than bronze ones). I am not sure if golds are also included, if yes, it seems to be very powerful ability. I think it should be non-gold units for proper balance, but we will see.

9. Ex aequo Radovid and Eredin (Choose any unit on the battlefield and remove 10 STR from it, and Create and play an Eredin unit (10 STR, Melee)):

Those 2 leaders does practically the same thing in case of Strength change, Radovid removes (albeit up to) 10 STR from opponent, and Eredin gives you 10 STR.

Similar situation. They cannot be considered in matter of str only. It is deeper. Eredin gives you 10 str and it is the real 10 str, which are visible on board. It can win the match for you. When Radovid doesn't give you str, he only take str from your opponent. So there are not physical points for you. In some situations he only gives you tie, instead of the win. But on the other hand, Radovid can target his enemy, so you can get rid of much more dangerous threat than only 10 str.

I see many opportunities in those leader and I am happy that I will be able to play with all of them.

Crach is a lot better than you think. crach an craite warriors are 7 strength that wound them self to 5 each when they enter the battlefield. great synergie with wound decks. you could for instance use warcry immediately to double their strength and i believe there is a unit in skellige that gets buffed if a unit is below its original value. so you would be buffing them with Crach. You are also underestimating radovid. I didnt think he was very good either but according to the developers he has proven to be very powerful in internal testing.

Last edited:
Crach is a lot better than you think. crach an craite warriors are 7 strength that wound them self to 5 each when they enter the battlefield. great synergie with wound decks. you could for instance use warcry immediately to double their strength and i believe there is a unit in skellige that gets buffed if a unit is below its original value. so you would be buffing them with Crach. You are also underestimating radovid. I didnt think he was very good either but according to the developers he has proven to be very powerful in internal testing.

If those for real are THOSE Crach and Craite Warriors, then they will be usable (like in your example), and still will be countering Eredin just after use.

We will see, during Beta test I'm sure we will get to know real power and possibilities of all leaders

They are different, In my opinion even balanced. Foltest gives you str, yes, but Eithne let you to use ability some of silver card (which are more powerful than bronze ones). I am not sure if golds are also included, if yes, it seems to be very powerful ability. I think it should be non-gold units for proper balance, but we will see.

I am sure it includes gold cards too and that's why, in my opinion, Eithne is one of the most powerful leaders.

To add something to discussion, Leader abilities can be divided into 2 categories:

a) Those that can be used at any point in game, Even your first turn, and you get value from it:
- King Bran, Crach an Craite, Eredin, Dagon, Francesca, Brouver Hoog,

b) Those that can be used only at specific situation/board presence to get value from it:
- Harald the Cripple, Ge'els, Eithne, Henselt, Radovid, Foltest

Last edited:
To add something to discussion, Leader abilities can be divided into 2 categories:

a) Those that can be used at any point in game, Even your first turn, and you get value from it:
- King Bran, Crach an Craite, Eredin, Dagon, Francesca, Brouver Hoog,

b) Those that can be used only at specific situation/board presence to get value from it:
- Harald the Cripple, Ge'els, Eithne, Henselt, Radovid, Foltest

Looks like they are neatly divided. One more thing i like to say is that Eredin is also better than most people think because of the monster faction ability to keep gold. For instance you could play him in the second round after winning first and then pass. the opponent will have to play 2 cards to beat it and he will have to start round 3. On top of that you get to keep Eredin on the battlefield for the final round. With a little bit of luck you could even keep him on the battlefield for all 3 rounds.

One more thing i like to say is that Eredin is also better than most people think because of the monster faction ability to keep gold.

In KtS Eredin cannot stay on the battlefield even he was the only unit. Some sort of restriction. Maybe in BETA it will change.

Monsters ability description says keep a random neutral or monsters unit on the board ,, And Rethas confirmed they can keep gold.

For instance you could play him in the second round after winning first and then pass. the opponent will have to play 2 cards to beat it and he will have to start round 3. On top of that you get to keep Eredin on the battlefield for the final round. With a little bit of luck you could even keep him on the battlefield for all 3 rounds.

I agree that it's a cool strategy, but (I may be wrong,) it wouldn't be sure that Eredin would stay for the last round. Provided you won the first round and played Eredin in second, you would also have a unit left from the first round (you had to win somehow) so it would make it more like 50% chance to have Eredin in round 3. Still decent, but more luck based.

I agree that it's a cool strategy, but (I may be wrong,) it wouldn't be sure that Eredin would stay for the last round. Provided you won the first round and played Eredin in second, you would also have a unit left from the first round (you had to win somehow) so it would make it more like 50% chance to have Eredin in round 3. Still decent, but more luck based.

Well play him in the first round then and then pass. Now you are 100% procent guaranteed to have him in the second round and you will go into that round with card advantage. But 50 percent chance in the second round is also good. But like you said you are rolling the dice here.

3. Francesca (Choose up to 3 cards from your hand and replace them with cards randomly drawn from your deck.):

Her ability allows you, together with starting mulligan, to change up to 6 cards from your starting hand, which minimazes possiblity of getting a "Bad Hand".

Thought, this randomness often gives you back those cards you first discarted, so you can get the same hand you had in the starting. And that happened to me more than once or twice :(

Thought, this randomness often gives you back those cards you first discarted, so you can get the same hand you had in the starting. And that happened to me more than once or twice :(

I believe she works like this: you draw 1 card and then you send 1 card back to your deck (it could also be the card you just drew). You can do this up to 3 times. So it is better than opening hand redraw.

I believe she works like this: you draw 1 card and then you send 1 card back to your deck (it could also be the card you just drew). You can do this up to 3 times. So it is better than opening hand redraw.

We've seen it in the Russian event it's just another initial card redraw ,, you choose a card and it changes into another cars from your deck and you can do that up to 3 times

Top Bottom