All Save games lost and Manual Save no longer working

+
Hi!

Unfortunatly I encountered a severe bug after upgrading to 4.0.0 on PS5.
  • I had several save games in the previous version
  • I upgraded tot 4.0.0 (Yay! very beautiful!)
  • Got a message that my save would no longer be valid for older version (Okay, understand that)
  • I played for an hour or so
  • I started noticing that my list of saved games became shorter (first didn't notice but I started with like 10 save games and suddenly there were only 3)
  • Ended up with all my manual save games lost
  • Manual Saving stopped working.
  • Only autosaves (when traveling working)

I'm worried my autosaves will be lost too and I will lose all my progress I put in.

Looks like I'm not the only PS5 user experiencing this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Witcher3/comments/zm65o2
Hope you can help me out

So technically we can manual save wiith fast travel ? Thank you mate, it's a solution until they fix the problem ^^

Hi!

Unfortunatly I encountered a severe bug after upgrading to 4.0.0 on PS5.
  • I had several save games in the previous version
  • I upgraded tot 4.0.0 (Yay! very beautiful!)
  • Got a message that my save would no longer be valid for older version (Okay, understand that)
  • I played for an hour or so
  • I started noticing that my list of saved games became shorter (first didn't notice but I started with like 10 save games and suddenly there were only 3)
  • Ended up with all my manual save games lost
  • Manual Saving stopped working.
  • Only autosaves (when traveling working)

I'm worried my autosaves will be lost too and I will lose all my progress I put in.

Looks like I'm not the only PS5 user experiencing this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Witcher3/comments/zm65o2
Hope you can help me out
I have the same problem. I cannot access any of my manual saves. Additionally, I cannot cast spells. The one difference is that I am on a PS4 console, not a PS5

I have the same problem. I cannot access any of my manual saves. Additionally, I cannot cast spells. The one difference is that I am on a PS4 console, not a PS5
You can cast signs by holding the R2 then in the bottom right of the screen a menu will pop up showing the signs and their buttons. Have to keep holding R2 to cast the signs. You can go back to the original way in the gameplay settings.

After updating on PS4 Pro:
  • Frequent BSOD - about 4 within 3 hours of play
  • Loss of all previous manual saves
  • Inability to create a manual save, although it looked like it was happening
  • Autosaving not happening at indicated interval
  • When it BSOD'd, I would only have access to a previous autosave, but it was as much as 40 minutes previous and in the middle of a previous quest, which i had already competed
  • After restarting from BSOD I would have to go through the initial setup: define HUD limit, set gamma, acknowledge stuff about DLC etc
Thought I fixed the problem after updating to the cloud-based saves (don't remember what it called).
  • Played for about 3 hours with no crashes
  • Was able to make manual saves and see them on the list with autosaves and checkpoints
Then I had a BSOD and it back to my initial experienceL
  • Go through all the initial setup
  • Could only load an autosave that was in the middle of the previous quest
  • No access to any manual saves
  • No longer able to make manual saves (although it looks like it's working)
UPDATE (2 days after my original post)

I followed instructions on other posts about deleting all old saves (auto or otherwise) that were from the old system, and making a new save wherever you are in the game. This assumes you've already set up cross progress already. Since doing that, I have had no crashes and I've been able to make manual saves and load them. I've been in rest mode, so I don't know it solved the issue of having to go through all the initial setup stuff each time you start the game.

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this problem on ps4 after updating to 4.00. I lost all my saves from previous playthrough and I can't save anymore and only load from autosaved. it said the current version save doesn't work with previous version saves at some point. I could do the process of saving but my file is automatically deleted. I even can see it being deleted when i save and I go to the loading saves. if I try to load the save just before it is deleted, it crashes the game.

Hey, I have a solution, but you guys will need to have both ps4 and ps5. In fact, I made some presumptions that can be wrong, so I will let the final solution and then the whole quest that I had to do.

Summarized solution:
Since I couldn't save my game through the ps5, I turned on my ps4, download TW3 on ps4 and my cloud storage data. With that, I managed to save the game in this new save slot. Only after that I was able to pull this save in TW3 with ps5 version.

Whole quest:
Premises:
(1) Update for PS5 version on the 14th
(2) PS4 bug fixes patch on the 14th
I had the ps4 version installed only on my ps5

I initially did the game update (2), which automatically appeared on my ps5 system from the PS4 version of the game.
After the update my saves were corrupted and I lost the ability to save
new games and consequently the ability to load old games, except for automatic saves.

My friend explained to me that I was being stupid and the update of the new version was another game (1).
With his tips I installed the new game without any difficulties (link in the end). After that, it was necessary to make a new save in a new save slot.
that would serve as a checkpoint for downloading games between different platforms.
The tutorial to make this transfer was very simple, however it was necessary that you enter the game in the PS4 version
and save your game in that newly created slot, and because of the first problem I ran into,
I couldn't manually save the game in this new save format and consequently I couldn't transfer my game to
a PS5 version.

Since I couldn't save my game through the ps5, I turned on my ps4, download TW3 on ps4 and my cloud storage data. With that, I managed to save the game in this new save slot. Only after that I was able to pull this save in TW3 with ps5 version.

What I think might have been the problem:
The company didn't imagine that the ps5 people would make the update that I'm guessing is only for the PS4 (2) but that they would
straight to the new version. Now that we have two different versions (PS4 and PS5) they must have removed in this last patch a function that converted the storage structure from PS5 to PS4. That is, because it is on ps5 it would no longer be possible to store or read data saved with the
ps4 data storage structure.
----------------------------
Old code:
if (user.system == 'PS4'):
save(data_ps4)
read(data_ps4)
elif (user.system == 'PS5'):
data_ps4 = convert_data_to_ps4_structure(data_ps5)
save(data_ps4)
read(data_ps4)
-----------------------------
new code:
if (user.system == 'PS4'):
save(data_ps4)
read(data_ps4)
elif (user.system == 'PS5'):
save(data_ps5)
read(data_ps5)

link to download next gen verdion TW3: https://dotesports.com/general/news/how-to-download-the-witcher-3-next-gen-upgrade#:~:text=Select “View Product” and you,the PS5 upgrade for free.

same problem, update 4.0 ===> lost all my savegames, can‘t save actual game, only autosave works. delete game with all data, reinstall without any old files. select new game ====> same problem, cannot save on older version. i own a ps4 gameversion via download, so i cannot install without next gen update.

I got the same issue. The game keeps stacking saves and checkpoints to the point that your manual saves won't show. I solved this problem by deleting old saves and checkpoints that I won't use and the latest manual save eventually appeared. Even the screen adjustment problem disappeared. Try doing this by deleting unwanted saves. That's annoying I know. If it works you'll have to keep deleting old checkpoints from time to time. Note: all saves are there but they are lost in the huge amount of checkpoints and won't appear unless some saves are deleted so be careful when deleting old saves.

Top Bottom