Altered Carbon is becoming a Netflix Series

+
Altered Carbon is becoming a Netflix Series

Netflix has picked up Altered Carbon, a futuristic drama series conceived, written and executive produced by LaNetflix Logoeta Kalogridis (Avatar, Shutter Island, Terminator Genesis). The project, which has received a 10-episode order, is based on Richard Morgan’s award-winning 2002 cyberpunk sci-fi novel of the same name. Skydance Television, which produces Netflix comedy Grace and Frankie, is the studio.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/altered...laeta-kalogridis-netflix-skydance-1201684680/

Altered Carbon is probably my favourite cyberpunk literature of all time so i'm pretty excited for it
i just hope they won't censor it too much for television

anyone else here looking forward to it?

I happen to like Stirling.

What works do you recommend to a new reader? I find the premises of Holy Fire, Zeitgeist and the Caryatids interesting, but the second seems to be set in current times (as of the moment of being published 1999-2000, I mean!) so maybe not technically cyberpunk (maybe it was set 20 minutes into the future)? And the latter one I've read some bad reviews... that said I feel attracted by the more politically driven plot that it seems to have.

I'm so happy cyberpunk is experimenting this resurgence in popularity.

it's really amazing

- a ghost in the shell movie is being directed right at this moment
- altered carbon is becoming a tv series
- blade runner 2 goes into production this year

really the only thing that is missing is neuromancer, i've heard the rights have been bought by a chinese company so let's see if they do anything with it

I think it'll do more bad than good to Cyberpunk but yeah,I'll wait to see how it all works out tho.
Hoping that I'm wrong tho.

What works do you recommend to a new reader?

Island in the net is totaly Cyberpunk and still stand nowadays (more politicaly oriented than Gibson or others tho).
The Schismatrix is really cool too, some space-opera-cyberpunk about how people evolve with space, technology, etc...

I haven't read his other works so I can't help, but those two are cool.

Last edited:
Read the novel last year and became a huge fan, really thrilled for it's adaptation in Netflix, thanks for the heads up!

I don't hate Ryan Gosling, but I don't think he is right for the role.

Also it is the most unnecessary sequel in history.

I dunno. He has kind of a Ford-ian presence to him, if you've ever seen Driver. That character could make quite a good Blade Runner.

Sequels are stories - they are rarely necessary, but then neither is the story itself. If it's good, great. If not, it won't change the original any.

Not like Altered Carbon was necessary..still fun though.

I loved him in Drive, and I agree that he could play a Fordian character. Only problem is that last I heard he was cast as a replicant, and I don't think he can come anywhere close to Rutger Hauer's performance.

I don't think he can come anywhere close to Rutger Hauer's performance.

Neither do I. He doesn't have to.

Afterall for a long time people seems to think that no one can match with Joker created by Nicholson, and then Ledger happened.

He just need to make this role his own without trying to imitate Hauer.

I feel like Roy Batty already completed the arc of the replicant though. I don't know where else they can take it without just repeating what Hauer said, but quieter and less meaningful.

I feel like Roy Batty already completed the arc of the replicant though. I don't know where else they can take it without just repeating what Hauer said, but quieter and less meaningful.

Nah, I think Nars has an excellent point using the Joker. He can say it -differently-.

I also don't think Batty summed up replicants perfectly and that there is no more to talk about or illustrate. Arguably, Deckard was a replicant and he had another story. Also Pris.

WAITBACK ON TOPIC. Start a BR 2 thread, someone.