Alternative Combat System

+
First of all, I was and I still am a fan of CP2077, so it's not another hate post like tons of others. I love this game for many things, the city, characters, the story and many others, ...but not everything, and that would be the combat system, and the loot system.
The game was described as an adult game for adults, based on original cp2020 tabletop rpg. Considering that, and the story, nudity and violence I expected it to be at least a bit realistic in combat. Instead the combat looks even more arcad-ish than what can be seen in Borderlands, and many other games aimed at young-age players.
Yes, I've seen combat gameplay movies, but what the game provides is even worse, realism-wise. Actually, if you set the game difficulty to "Easy", then it makes the enemies killable in sort of, realistic enough way. Higher difficulty sets make them bullet sponges, up to ridiculous levels.

What can be done about that?
I am fully aware (though I don't understand ;)) that this combat system is what many people do like. It's fine, since everybody has a slightly diffrent expectations for everything. But I believe, that the other group of players, me included, could be satisfied as well with relatively small work.
What I suggest, is a special option in gameplay menu, let's call it "hardcore mode", that makes weapons realisticly lethal, or at least much more lethal than they're now.

I believe, that this solution wound give this game a second edge, an experience that would be close to "get a second game for a price of one". It can't be too hard to implement, since it already is connected to difficulty levels. Basicly, make the enemies even weaker, but also increase their weapons dmg by, let's say 10 times...
It's just a thought, an idea that might prove that CDPR is not another game-dev to put beside Bethesda or EA. I'm curious what are other peoples' thoughts on that.

In worst case scenario let's hope a community made reality mods will show up :)

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean really, this is an RPG shooter it makes sense for enemies to become bullet sponges on higher difficulties. I personally really like the combat system the guns are punchy and there is gore. You got the cyberdeck and environment too.

Well, it was supposed to be an RPG, not a shooter. I understand that looter-shooters are what many people like, but at this moment, all the "RPG" feel goes to hell everytime a firefight starts.
Moreover, making changes I mentioned earlier wouldn't require much work, so it would be like 1000% gain for 1% work...
...and old original CP2020 players like me wouldn't see their beloved title end this way :p

Hey guys,

I'd never experienced the problem of a bullet sponge. I played on Hard difficulty and with a little bit of side questing and cleaning the map from markers I never felt that an enemy has to much HP. I have not enough experience with the hardest difficulty, but I will start there next time. With the hacking powers usually an open fight end very quickly.
In either way ;)

I'd like to see an alternative combat system like we have in Bungies Oni.
E.g. : Oni Review (Bungie's Forgotten Game)
In this game the smooth transition between melee and range combat has blown my mind many years before. I have never seen anything like it again. Rewatching the videos you can see how ugly it is compared to the grafics we are getting in CP2077. Imagine the moves from "Konoko" (Hero in Bungies Oni) in CP2077 grafics.

The moves could be unlockable by skills.
For example: there is a move where you run at an enemie crab their head and perform a neck-breaker while running.
Or you can disarm an enemy and keep the weapon for yourself.

All moves could be performed with the left & right mouse, jump and a crap button (if I remember correctly). The rest was done by the game based on the position of the character and the enemy-

Also the third-person over the shoulder view could work nicely with the cover shouter mechanics in CP2077.

So CDPR, please here my call: Make an inoffical Oni Successor =)
But thank you never the less for a create game.

Guest 4519094

Yup!! More movesets please, melee and range, currently trying to emulate oda's smart gun backflip with a mod (it's jank :p), gonna try sasquatch super dash next (might be easier with some luck)
About the ennemies soaking a lot of damage, yes there's many ways of fixing the feeling of bullet sponge while keeping almost all the arithmetic the same,
real quick example:

say an opponent would normally go down in two bullets with your current gun,
instead of having the first bullet take most of it's life and the second finish it off,
have the first bullet graze bounce or get pulverized on it's skin making it slightly recoil or outright shrug if it's really a powerful opponent and the second bullet take it down.

More "realistic" feeling with the same exact maths behind it ;)
the particles effects are already there too all that would need change is the damage distribution.
Cheers

That hardcore mode was there in the beta tests, but got cut for release. One of the devs said it was his preferred mode.

That hardcore mode was there in the beta tests, but got cut for release. One of the devs said it was his preferred mode.
Wow, that is something. Is there any chance you could share a link to the source of that information?

Top Bottom