Alternative Outfits in the Game (Possible Bug?) [SPOILERS]

+
Alternative Outfits in the Game (Possible Bug?) [SPOILERS]

Not sure if this can be considered a bug, something that has been discussed before, or just something the devs overlooked. I first noticed that in certain cutscenes featuring Geralt, no matter what armour you're wearing or hairstyle you have, he will always revert back to default armour and hairstyle. If I recall correctly, this happens in two cutscenes; when he's in the boat sailing off to Skellige, and all the flashbacks Ciri has after entering the tower.

Didn't bother me at first, since it only happened in these two parts of the game. But in my second playthrough, when all the alternative costume DLCs were out, it started getting a bit funny. Playing on PS4, patch 1.08, and all alternative costumes activated, there were a few cutscenes where Ciri, Triss and Yen would appear in one outfit (DLC), then appear in another outfit (default), and reappear in DLC outfit. For Yen especially, who including the DLC, has three alternative outfits, it's possible to see her interchanging between all outfits in one setting. From memory, this happens in the Battle of Kaer Morhen and On Thin Ice.

Anyone else experienced this wardrobe phenomena? Not that it's game breaking or anything, but the amount of outfit changes in one setting can really be a distraction in the cutscenes, especially for first time players. Hope this gets fixed in a future patch.

Ay, it is an inconsistency. I believe these are previously-prepared, cinematic sequences, which occur at fixed points in the story. These sequences appear to use a standard set of character-models, which are not influenced by the input from the DLC alternative costumes, nor by the player's armour and hairstyle choices. We saw the same thing in the still story-sequences in Assassins of Kings.

I assume they're intentionally independent from the player's preferences, in order to more closely control variables, such as light, environmental interactions, and the characters' animations. It would seem, by limiting player-determined variables, the REDs were able to insure these important scenes -- which also contain some rather tricky visual effects, if I recall -- looked exactly the way they wanted, artistically. Furthermore, it would have been rather a bit of a task to render each sequence multiple times for every possible combination of armour, hair, beard, and alternative costume combination. So, they simply used default appearances. That's how I interpret it, anyway. I imagine some of our more technically-adept users can explain the precise mechanics behind the process.

Last edited:
I assume they're intentionally independent from the player's preferences, in order to more closely control variables, such as light, environmental interactions, and the characters' animations. It would seem, by limiting player-determined variables, the REDs were able to insure these important scenes -- which also contain some rather tricky visual effects, if I recall -- looked exactly the way they wanted, artistically. Furthermore, it would have been rather a bit of a task to render each sequence multiple times for every possible combination of armour, hair, beard, and alternative costume combination.

First playthough experience, after the unicorn affair Geralt and Yen walk into Kaer Trolde dining hall naked before their clothing slowly reappears. Lol

I can agree with your view of the devs artistic impression for in game cinematic cutscenes (i.e. Opening sequence, Ciri's flashback), but short quest cutscenes shouldn't have this problem (dialogue scenes, in pub fighting). The fact that in the cutscenes mentioned involving Ciri, Yen and Triss, where these characters can be seen frequently changing outfits instead of just sticking to the default outfit (consistent to your view about what the devs artistic impression), tells me the devs probably didn't have enough time to implement the system they were hoping for. On the other hand, longer cutscenes where your argument should apply, such as the battle scenes against Imlerith, Eredin, and Geralt meeting Ciri at Isle of Mists, have no problem showing the characters in your chosen outfits/armour. Granted I have zero knowledge on game development, but sounds like something that could be easily fixed by locking certain NPC outfits for some main quests (i.e. Yen locked in battle gear throughout On Thin Ice) or auto-disabling alternative outfits at certain points in the game.

If you're encountering this switching outside of the set sequences, I'm really not sure what to tell you. I've never noticed the discrepancy, aside from during those cinematic scenes.

There are some pre-rendered cut scenes, if it's pre-rendered default clothing/hair will apply (and mods wont alter it either). Pre-rendered is not to be confused with CGI ones, they are merely pre-rendered with the in-game engine, probably to keep acceptable framerates across all platforms with the detailed animations and effects.

It sounds like the issue you're having is that this outfit switch is occurring during dialogue scenes? Could you provide a recording of this happening?

Not sure if this can be considered a bug, something that has been discussed before, or just something the devs overlooked. I first noticed that in certain cutscenes featuring Geralt, no matter what armour you're wearing or hairstyle you have, he will always revert back to default armour and hairstyle. If I recall correctly, this happens in two cutscenes; when he's in the boat sailing off to Skellige, and all the flashbacks Ciri has after entering the tower.

Didn't bother me at first, since it only happened in these two parts of the game. But in my second playthrough, when all the alternative costume DLCs were out, it started getting a bit funny. Playing on PS4, patch 1.08, and all alternative costumes activated, there were a few cutscenes where Ciri, Triss and Yen would appear in one outfit (DLC), then appear in another outfit (default), and reappear in DLC outfit. For Yen especially, who including the DLC, has three alternative outfits, it's possible to see her interchanging between all outfits in one setting. From memory, this happens in the Battle of Kaer Morhen and On Thin Ice.

Anyone else experienced this wardrobe phenomena? Not that it's game breaking or anything, but the amount of outfit changes in one setting can really be a distraction in the cutscenes, especially for first time players. Hope this gets fixed in a future patch.

Excuse my stupid nolongerplayingquestion, but wich are the three Yenn outfits? Original and ONE DLC, these I remember. Where can I find the third?
OT what I remember, the naked-in-public-after-sex was the only issue like that for me. except the two you mentioned. (PS4 ûber alles.)

Excuse my stupid nolongerplayingquestion, but wich are the three Yenn outfits? Original and ONE DLC, these I remember. Where can I find the third?

Haven't played in a while myself, but if I recall correctly, her 'third' outfit, or second outfit before DLC, is exactly similar to her default outfit but with a long skirt instead of pants

It sounds like the issue you're having is that this outfit switch is occurring during dialogue scenes? Could you provide a recording of this happening?

Sorry, forgot to record this incident. But no it doesn't occur during a dialogue scene (where the player has the option to choose dialogue), but in action sequences (which may have non-optional dialogue). More specifically, as mentioned above, the interchanging of outfits can be seen during action cutscenes in Battle of Kaer Morhen and On Thin Ice. Will be on a lookout for any recent walkthrough videos which highlight the issue

OT what I remember, the naked-in-public-after-sex was the only issue like that for me. except the two you mentioned. (PS4 ûber alles.)
I know you're clearly referring to outfits - These are the debug console templates -

• appearance(yennefer_gown)
  • appearance(yennefer_head_towel)
  • appearance(yennefer_hooded)
  • appearance(yennefer_hooded_02)
  • appearance(yennefer_lingerie)
  • appearance(yennefer_naked_no_hair)
  • appearance(yennefer_naked_panties)
  • appearance(yennefer_naked)
  • appearance(yennefer_no_pendant)
  • appearance(yennefer_travel_outfit)

OP - I've only seen this happen in the two mentioned cutscenes. I have yet to begin my second playthrough, if I see this I'll report back to let you know. I'm playing the PC version for reference.

Sorry, forgot to record this incident. But no it doesn't occur during a dialogue scene (where the player has the option to choose dialogue), but in action sequences (which may have non-optional dialogue). More specifically, as mentioned above, the interchanging of outfits can be seen during action cutscenes in Battle of Kaer Morhen and On Thin Ice. Will be on a lookout for any recent walkthrough videos which highlight the issue

I'll have a look myself this weekend to see if this is the case for my rig. I don't recall those scenes as having that -- or if they did, they may not have stood out for me.

Top Bottom