Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

+

4RM3D

Ex-moderator

Homecoming has had a rocky start, to say the least. There are plenty of threads that make it appear as if the world is coming to an end. This time, let's look at the bright side of life Homecoming.

What are the things you like about Homecoming?

For me:
- Reward book and achievements
- UI & card size
- Potential of the provision system

Reward Book and Achievements
It's nice to have some extra stuff you can work towards and unlock.

UI & Card Size
I am talking about the in-game menu and deckbuilder, which look better. Also, the increased card size does make it feel more like you're playing with actual cards.

Potential of the Provision System
Specifically mentioned the potential, because the system still needs a bit of work, but it's moving in the right direction.

PS. Sarcasm is not allowed in this thread.

_Kili_

Forum regular
PS. Sarcasm is not allowed in this thread.
Dammit, you got me

What I like about the current version of Gwent?
The card art, mostly the premiums (although that didn't really change since the beginning of the beta)
And I guess the reward book is a nice idea.

I like the card size, the new boards (or should I say battlefields?) and the fact that you can costumize your leader(s). Nothing cooler than expressing yourself with a unique leader/skin/board combo.

The music is 10/10 as always. Makes the entire experience much more enjoyable for me. It also fits well with the dark atmosphere of Gwent.

Oh, and I like Adda.

Bright side :

- 3D leaders
- number of mulligans depends on leader
- order and zeal ( huge plus in my opinion)
- 10 cards limit
- provisions

Bad side :

- worse decks synergy because bronze only have 2 copies.

Former gwent had more synergy. Now I figure strategy my deck will be based around. I chose cards and then I see I need 8 - 6 more cards to fulfill minimum cards required . So I need another 8-6 cards into deck that won't have much synergy with my deck strategy.

I didn't have this problem before because 3 bronze that works perfectly with my strategy.

-

rrc

Forum veteran
The things I like about HC in the order:
Cosmetics:
1) Geralt and Ciri's starting screen. As someone who has read the books recently (after finishing W3), seeing Geralt and Ciri happily together is awesome.
2) The Menu. It is very creative and awesome.
3) Much much bigger cards on the field and the art can now be enjoyed more. In beta Gwent, cards were of the size of a stamp. Now it is bigger and cooler.
3) Leader Skins and Board (Please bring more CDPR!)
4) Deck Building. (How can I add, Rag No Rah, Muzzle, Renew, DD, 2 Lacretes and have some units on the board to win R3?)
5) Reward Book (The whole concept in RW is awesome. The story elements about faction and leaders which conform the books, leader and faction avatar as rewards, etc.)
Gameplay:
1) Every game is kind of unique and requires to adapt instead of playing in auto-pilot mode (due to less tutors and 2 bronze copies)
2) How quickly and easily CDPR can fix broken cards (if they want) without needing us to update the game (server side update and tada!)
3) The whole concept of Order/Deploy/Charge is nice. You can still have super powerful cards and still give a chance for the enemy to react (like old Miruna and Villenthrethenmeth, but even for bronze cards now).
4) The immense potential to make the game to have more depth as well as cosmetics improvement is promising.

Love the card size but console players can't currently enjoy the card animations during the game without highlighting each individual card.

When you do see the animations they look so much better than closed beta. The detail is crazy.

I had to think a bit :)

-only two bronze copies
-no CA spies
-less tutors
-awesome leader modifications possible
-two rows with a bit more meaning than the 3 in beta
-you have to think more in the deckbuilding department: a bit graveyard hate, a bit artefact hate, some powerplays etc.
-some cool card abilities (different from boost/damage x points)
-for a core set without any expansions quite different decks are possible (not all are viable enough for reaching pro level rank, but what the heck....)
-you can win without implementing witcher trio, roach and artefacts into your decks :)
-reward book
-taunts (some are really good, some are a bit off)
-general graphics; hc has a professional look and feel and no longer looks like an add-on to witcher 3

The thing that I like the most is that faction identity seems to have improved a lot compared to Beta, even if people might disagree with that. In particular NR and MS got a real faction concept.
As a result NR and MS offer a lot more synergie between the whole deck instead of just 2 or 3 card combos as before.

Overall we got quite a lot of interesting cards with Homecoming and the Order system with all its possibilities is a great addition, even though it slows the game down.

I like the new implementation of leaders.

The provision systems makes deckbuilding a lot more challenging and allows more customized decks.

Reverting consistency back to pre Midwinter.

Bright side:
Aglais is still a HOT WAIFU
:D

Attachments

• aglais.jpg
    aglais.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 120
The thing that I like the most is that faction identity seems to have improved a lot compared to Beta, even if people might disagree with that. In particular NR and MS got a real faction concept.
As a result NR and MS offer a lot more synergie between the whole deck instead of just 2 or 3 card combos as before.

Would you expand on that point a bit? I have been playing on console a short while now and I'm not sure if I agree about faction identity. Monsters had a strong identity with consume but now you can't even make a pure consume deck. NR had armor and cursed stripped out of them.

Would you expand on that point a bit? I have been playing on console a short while now and I'm not sure if I agree about faction identity. Monsters had a strong identity with consume but now you can't even make a pure consume deck. NR had armor and cursed stripped out of them.
The way I see it, the reason why an archetype does things is important. In the Beta, the player mainly consumed units, because there was a unit (Nekkers) that boosted itself, while the consuming itself wasn't really important. Of course there were units like the Arachas Behemoth and the Harpy Eggs, but both of them hardly did see play.

Now in HC the player has real reasons to consume units. First of all, there is deathwish, which also existed in Beta but not that fleshed out and with a lot less tools. By consuming a deathwish unit the unit that is consumed becomes important and not the consuming itself. And the other reason good reason to consume units now is to have the highest unit on the battlefield which also has synergies.
And there is nevertheless Arachas Queen which adds value to consuming by adding more bodies to the board and thus is at least a bit more interesting than a simple boost by 1 when X mechanic.

Concerning Armor, that was always my most hated archetype from a conceptional viewpoint. The goal of armor in general, was to protect units. But the armor archetype did exactly the opposite. Instead of protecting units by giving it armor, the whole archetype was centered on removing armor from your own units. The only way to effectively give units armor, was a neutral card, and the only unit that profited from having armor was the Knight Elect.

And I wouldn't call cursed an archetype at all, because the only thing they really had in common was the cursed tag and hardly anything more.

The biggest problem that I had always seen in NR, was that the faction had tons of buffing (Foltest, Knight Elect, Reaver Hunters, Temerian Drummer/Field Medic, Blue Stripe Scouts, Priscilla, Dandelion, Odrin), but didn't had a single unit that profitted directly from being buffed, which was really a shame.

The way I see it, the reason why an archetype does things is important. In the Beta, the player mainly consumed units, because there was a unit (Nekkers) that boosted itself, while the consuming itself wasn't really important. Of course there were units like the Arachas Behemoth and the Harpy Eggs, but both of them hardly did see play.

The flavor of Arachas Behemoth was always off-putting during open beta. Why would it give birth to little spiders when a vran consumes a harpy egg? That was weird

Now in HC the player has real reasons to consume units. First of all, there is deathwish, which also existed in Beta but not that fleshed out and with a lot less tools. By consuming a deathwish unit the unit that is consumed becomes important and not the consuming itself. And the other reason good reason to consume units now is to have the highest unit on the battlefield which also has synergies.
And there is nevertheless Arachas Queen which adds value to consuming by adding more bodies to the board and thus is at least a bit more interesting than a simple boost by 1 when X mechanic.

Concerning Armor, that was always my most hated archetype from a conceptional viewpoint. The goal of armor in general, was to protect units. But the armor archetype did exactly the opposite. Instead of protecting units by giving it armor, the whole archetype was centered on removing armor from your own units. The only way to effectively give units armor, was a neutral card, and the only unit that profited from having armor was the Knight Elect.

And I wouldn't call cursed an archetype at all, because the only thing they really had in common was the cursed tag and hardly anything more.

The biggest problem that I had always seen in NR, was that the faction had tons of buffing (Foltest, Knight Elect, Reaver Hunters, Temerian Drummer/Field Medic, Blue Stripe Scouts, Priscilla, Dandelion, Odrin), but didn't had a single unit that profitted directly from being buffed, which was really a shame.

Fair enough. Can you explain specifically how homecoming has well defined faction identity? Maybe say something for each faction.

My favorite thing is something they just added, being able to see the cards left in my deck without a third party deck tracker!!

Some other things I like are the next abilities such as thrive and order. I also think the new leader abilities are very good, despite perhaps requiring some more tweaking.

And the best part of all, gwent is released and out of beta so no more content drought! It will be like Christmas when we get our first new faction or card sets :)

I like to be an optimist and look on the bright side, but I like even more to be a realist and provide balanced feedback. So here are my two high-level cents.

HC Pros:
- Non-card leaders provide interesting (inter)actions during the entire game (instead of card being played once)
- New and row-specific abilities
- Reward Book
- Quests
- Artwork
- Battlefield look. Would be nice to have an option to switch between top-down and isometric view or even 90 degree-limited 3D free-look for the fun of it (yes, I play on PC ;))

HC Cons:
- Only two rows. For me, it needs to be three rows to really be Gwent. Artifact has three boards with one row, Gwent should have one board with three rows. Think about the possibilities, strategic decks, card interactions and plays that can be made with three rows and cards with row-specific abilities. Easy to see which card game will be the most "intelligent" and interesting one!
- Missing several interesting pre-HC mechanics, abilities and archetypes. Can be added and I hope they will be. Will not go into detail here.
- General low unit strength limits fine-tuning for balancing. Example: minimum strength nerf of a 3 point card is 33% (from 3 to 2), while the minimum nerf of a 6 point card is 16.7% (from 6 to 5). The same principle applies to removal, so this makes fine-tuning four times as difficult.
- Artifacts. Artifact play and removal feels like a game within the game, but a binary and unbalanced one. Replacing artifacts with units or special cards would fit better.

Edit: How could I forget artifacts! Added.

In general, I think the new format has way more potential than the old one. So let's use that potential!

Last edited:
Here is what I personally think about HC coming from a guy with 1000 hrs whose been playing Gwent since The Witcher 3

HC Pros:
-2 rows & the introduction to the mechanic reach.
-Bringing back cards needing to be on specific rows for their ability to work.
-Reward Book
-UI and Board design overhaul / Card Size and detail
-New archetypes introduced (ex. Bloodthrist)
-Provisions requirement on cards and deck building offers far more complexity and depth to decks, also makes gold cards less game shattering as opposed to beta gwent where if your opponent drew 1 more gold than you they had a huge statistical advantage.
-CDPR seem to be far faster and more responsive to balancing so far
-Silvers removed
-CA Spies removed
-Coinflip balanced

HC Cons:
-Artifacts and how they interact with the game.
-High variability cards that are far too powerful for their provisions (viper witchers, spotters)
-Not enough bronze faction units at the moment so there isn't enough variety for decks.
-Some cards seem too binary. (Either White Frost finds value or you have 0 points for 7 provisions. Either you destroy Sihil and it's a completely useless artifact for opponent at 15 provisions, or you can't destroy it and you lose the game because you didn't have an answer.)

Everything considered I think the game is in a fantastic spot and it will only get better with the continued support from CDPR. I feel like the community should feel good knowing how fast the devs are patching and trying to balance things in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom