Am I missing something? (Char level)

+

RageGT

Forum veteran
Am I missing something? (Char level)

798 hrs playing the game so far, many runs, always DM, and I still can't understand the level requirement for mastercrafted witcher gear, in normal or NG+ games. I always end up getting the required level when there is no way to escape the final quest to craft them. 79% completion, all POI and probably all side quests discovered and done, except for gwent collection which I will still try even if i have a very very powerful deck by playing and buying all I could. Must have missed someone.

I have no problem using Superior gear but not having anything to do after getting Mastercrafted is a little disappointing. Are the level requirement established considering the upcoming expansions? Do I have to farm somewhere till exhaustion? I'm on PC but I won't use the console. At least Witcher 1 and even Witcher 2 let us have the best armor(s) before the game end so we can still play a little with them. What about 100% completion? What does it take?

I usually get the mastercrafted gear right before I do the last few missions. 100% completion is something Ive done a couple times. The 2nd time I got the platinum trophy.

I'm kinda wondering the same thing. I'm lvl 26 at the moment, and I've been a lot of exploring, and side quests, etc, and I have no idea how I'm going to get through 8 more levels to get the mastercrafted equipment.
I'm on the
Ugly Baby
quest, and I've been told I'm getting near the end (am I really? That would be sad). I can't possibly get through 8 levels.
I don't much like the fighting, and I'm not over the mood about gwent, and I don't want to be forced into doing them. And I refuse to resort to farming. It's an open world game, you can do what you like, in whatever order you like, so I don't understand making people do every single little side quest.
I dunno...I'm a bit bummed about this to be honest.

Unless, like you, I missed something, and I'm totally wrong. Which I hope I am.

I'm kinda wondering the same thing. I'm lvl 26 at the moment, and I've been a lot of exploring, and side quests, etc, and I have no idea how I'm going to get through 8 more levels to get the mastercrafted equipment.
I'm on the
Ugly Baby
quest, and I've been told I'm getting near the end (am I really? That would be sad). I can't possibly get through 8 levels.
I don't much like the fighting, and I'm not over the mood about gwent, and I don't want to be forced into doing them. And I refuse to resort to farming. It's an open world game, you can do what you like, in whatever order you like, so I don't understand making people do every single little side quest.
I dunno...I'm a bit bummed about this to be honest.

Unless, like you, I missed something, and I'm totally wrong. Which I hope I am.

Dude Ugly baby is not at the end. You got a lots more to do after that quest.

@WolvenGear Ok, thanks. No, not 'at the end'. I meant it's in the final stretch, so to speak. But if it's not, then good, because I can't get enough of this game.

Lol that smilie. Oh ok! I was told it was in Act 3...And I remember thinking 'hmm, that seems a bit off." Should have checked, silly me. Oh well, that's great then! I might get that mastercrafted gear after all. Thanks for clearing it up.

No problem homie.

Level scaling the story,giving more exp for side quests and killing enemies would solve a lot of problems. Same goes for gear/armour. All basic witcher gear should start at level 10-11..." All witcher gear " , be it heavy or whatever. All basic sets should be available in velen. Shops should also sell medium and heavy armours earlier. The way the game is set up,it basically tells you to use light armour ,then medium,then heavy. We should be able to use any class/type of armour from the get go.

Level scaling the story,giving more exp for side quests and killing enemies would solve a lot of problems. Same goes for gear/armour. All basic witcher gear should start at level 10-11..." All witcher gear " , be it heavy or whatever. All basic sets should be available in velen. Shops should also sell medium and heavy armours earlier. The way the game is set up,it basically tells you to use light armour ,then medium,then heavy. We should be able to use any class/type of armour from the get go.

Well, not really. Then all enemies would also have to start at lvl 10. Otherwise, you'd just be going through them in your sleep.
But yes, we should be able to use whatever type of armour right from the start. Then go hunting for enhanced, etc.
And I do enjoy searching for them, so wouldn't buy them from shops anyway. Besides, that wouldn't make sense, since the armour and swords really are meant for witchers, since they come from the Witcher schools, so how would merchants get them? No, this way, it feels like you're going out to find something of importance, of value, something your 'kin' crafted and used. Would devalue their status (their meaning) just buying them from shops like common items.

Well, not really. Then all enemies would also have to start at lvl 10. Otherwise, you'd just be going through them in your sleep.
But yes, we should be able to use whatever type of armour right from the start. Then go hunting for enhanced, etc.
And I do enjoy searching for them, so wouldn't buy them from shops anyway. Besides, that wouldn't make sense, since the armour and swords really are meant for witchers, since they come from the Witcher schools, so how would merchants get them? No, this way, it feels like you're going out to find something of importance, of value, something your 'kin' crafted and used. Would devalue their status (their meaning) just buying them from shops like common items.

Maybe I was'nt clear enough.
What do you mean all eneimes would be level 10? Level scaling can also be done in ranges too. 5 levels below you to 15 levels above you,as an example. It doesn't mean because i'm level 10 they have to be. If level scaling is used right it's fine. It would be much better than what way the game is now. Having at least the story scale to around your level ( in ranges ) would allow more exp from side quests and killing enemies. Thus encouraging more exploration and leveling without being shoehorned into the story.

I never said I would like to buy witcher gear from vendors. I was talking about basic armours. We should still search for all the witcher gear...I have no problem with that. My problem is the fact that game basically says you should be a higher level before using heavy armour. Basic griffin armour starts at level 11,so why not the others? I have to wait till i have done lots more of the story,leveled and travel somewhere else just to get basic heavy witcher gear. All " Basic " witcher gear should be found in velen,and all should be available at level 11 like basic griffin. I don't want the game to shoehorn me into light,then medium,then heavy...I don't like it. This also similar with normal gear. Vendors have light armour coming out their arseholes early on,and hardly any medium or heavy...and if they do you have to be god knows how many levels higher before you can wear it.

I have found level 3 heavy and medium armour in the past,but always when i'm level 10 or higher. 1: Why are these never found in white orchid or early on in velen. 2: Why is that same heavy armour you found at level 3 suddenly not available from a vendor untill you hit level 18 +. Or the vendor may have it but you can't use it untill you completed another 20% of the game the get the exp to level to be able to wear it. The game shoehorns you into using light,medium,then heavy. It shouldn't do that.

Maybe I was'nt clear enough.
What do you mean all eneimes would be level 10? Level scaling can also be done in ranges too. 5 levels below you to 15 levels above you,as an example. It doesn't mean because i'm level 10 they have to be. If level scaling is used right it's fine. It would be much better than what way the game is now. Having at least the story scale to around your level ( in ranges ) would allow more exp from side quests and killing enemies. Thus encouraging more exploration and leveling without being shoehorned into the story.

No, no. I know you can walk around the world, and find, for eg, enemies at lvl 3, when you're 30. But if you want to start the game (right after the intro) at lvl 10, then all enemies need to also start at lvl 10 also.
Otherwise, at the start of the game, it would be too easy if you were lvl 10 and they were 1.
Besides, there is scaling of enemy levels. Where you start off, you can fin dogs at lvl 1. You won't get that on Skellige.

I never said I would like to buy witcher gear from vendors. I was talking about basic armours. We should still search for all the witcher gear...I have no problem with that. My problem is the fact that game basically says you should be a higher level before using heavy armour. Basic griffin armour starts at level 11,so why not the others? I have to wait till i have done lots more of the story,leveled and travel somewhere else just to get basic heavy witcher gear. All " Basic " witcher gear should be found in velen,and all should be available at level 11 like basic griffin. I don't want the game to shoehorn me into light,then medium,then heavy...I don't like it. This also similar with normal gear. Vendors have light armour coming out their arseholes early on,and hardly any medium or heavy...and if they do you have to be god knows how many levels higher before you can wear it.

I have found level 3 heavy and medium armour in the past,but always when i'm level 10 or higher. 1: Why are these never found in white orchid or early on in velen. 2: Why is that same heavy armour you found at level 3 suddenly not available from a vendor untill you hit level 18 +. Or the vendor may have it but you can't use it untill you completed another 20% of the game the get the exp to level to be able to wear it. The game shoehorns you into using light,medium,then heavy. It shouldn't do that.

Yes, I agree. We should be able to choose from any of the 3 styles as each has different strengths and weaknesses. People's playstyles differ, so why make them play a certain way.

I usually get the mastercrafted gear right before I do the last few missions. 100% completion is something Ive done a couple times. The 2nd time I got the platinum trophy.

Gratz! But How? I killed everything, ran everywhere, there was nothing else to give exp but a few respawn wolves, drowners, etc., for 1xp each. I assume that completion means all achievements done right? There are a few that I won't bother trying, like aard'ing 10 people from a height or making 10 enemies turn on each other. I would like to have mastercrafted or legendary mastercrafted earlier,

Some White orchard side quests give 500xp while later on, Skellige's give 2xp due to my char level I presume. heh

Gratz! But How? I killed everything, ran everywhere, there was nothing else to give exp but a few respawn wolves, drowners, etc., for 1xp each. I assume that completion means all achievements done right? There are a few that I won't bother trying, like aard'ing 10 people from a height or making 10 enemies turn on each other. I would like to have mastercrafted or legendary mastercrafted earlier,

Some White orchard side quests give 500xp while later on, Skellige's give 2xp due to my char level I presume. heh

Ok so here's the way I do it.

Let's say Im level 24 and Im close to be leven 25. And there are two level 19 quests I can do. Cause as soon as I get to level 25 a level 19 quest will give me allmost no XP at all. Thats how it works. If a quest is more than 5 levels higher or lower than your current level you get allmost no XP.

Now, one of them is a side-quest and the other one is a main story-quest. I will allways pick the main story-quest cause I know it could give me 300-800XP while a sidequest can give me as little as 10-20 XP or a bit more.
Some people do all the side-quests one after another in the middle of the game. That way you kinda cheat yourself out of a lot of XP. I also make sure that I do everything right when I do quests. For example in the quests called "the play thing" I allways make sure I get all my lines correct. That will earn me 20 XP per correct line on top of the XP I get from the quest itself.And I also do the optional tasks as well.
And I play every gwent-game possible. Not that gwent alone give you XP, but all the gwent quests do give you XP. And in some quests you get more XP when you turn down money.

Hope that'll help you

Last edited:
No, no. I know you can walk around the world, and find, for eg, enemies at lvl 3, when you're 30. But if you want to start the game (right after the intro) at lvl 10, then all enemies need to also start at lvl 10 also.
Otherwise, at the start of the game, it would be too easy if you were lvl 10 and they were 1.
Besides, there is scaling of enemy levels. Where you start off, you can fin dogs at lvl 1. You won't get that on Skellige.

I don't want to start the game at level 10. We should start from level 1. I meant all types of basic witcher gear ( heavy,medium,and light ) should all start at level 10 or 11...like the griffin set.

I know the game does scale to some extent,that's why we see level 18 drowners in skellige. But it doesn't work they way they have done it,in my opinion. It's not proper scaling really. We get most of our exp from the story,some from side quests,and basically bugger all from enemies. Meaning if you want to level you have to follow the story. If they give more exp for side quests and killing monsters,and scaled the story to our level,it would give us a lot more freedom to level and explore without using the story. If you eventually want to go back to the story,you know it's still around your level so it keeps it a challenge...rather than being over-leveled for it. But scaling the story would give a lot more freedom,because worrying about out-leveling the story wouldn't be a problem anymore.

@WolvenGear Ah wow, well that's where I've been going wrong also. I've still got quests that are more than 5 levels below me, and I keep seeing like 2xp or 5xp for almost everything now. Even things that I find while exploring, the little quests that just pop up, I literally am getting no XP from anywhere. I was wondering what was going on.

@Deathmagnetic I misunderstood you, sorry. I get what you're saying now. And with what Wolven has said in the above post, I do agree with you. Having read his post, I feel like I'm being punished for exploring as much as I did (still do). I do feel like I'm being pushed into doing to story.
But on the other hand, the story is scaled to you, and all the different quests are all at different levels so you don't just rush through all the side stuff, level up, then have it easy during the main story. But also, so there is something to do at each level. So I can understand it from the game's side also. I don't really understand how the story could be scaled to your level.
I know they did say something about not getting as much XP for quests lower than your level, but I didn't know it was going to be literally 1 or 2 XP. That's a little severe. I thought you'd get whatever XP was meant for that quest, regardless of when you did it. I mean, even exploring will mean you run into quests that are higher than you. I've already taken on and completed quests that had a red skull, so I don't think it's fair to be penalized by only getting a few XP.
After reading Wolven's post, and yours, you're right, it's actually counter-productive, and makes me not want to explore anymore now, because I don't want to run into anything I'm higher or lower than, and I'm sick of getting a handful of XP. It's actually restrictive. Just feels like you have to play the story, get to whatever level, do the quests for that level, do more story, get to another level, do side quests...rinse and repeat. Hmm. You and Wolven have changed my thinking on this.
At the moment, there is no point for me to do any quests that are lower than my level, because I get only 1 or 2 XP. Pity there are some quests which are bugged and I cannot do, because I can't interact with people.

Ok so here's the way I do it.

Let's say Im level 24 and Im close to be leven 25. And there are two level 19 quests I can do. Cause as soon as I get to level 25 a level 19 quest will give me allmost no XP at all. Thats how it works. If a quest is more than 5 levels higher or lower than your current level you get allmost no XP.

Now, one of them is a side-quest and the other one is a main story-quest. I will allways pick the main story-quest cause I know it could give me 300-800XP while a sidequest can give me as little as 10-20 XP or a bit more.
Some people do all the side-quests one after another in the middle of the game. That way you kinda cheat yourself out of a lot of XP. I also make sure that I do everything right when I do quests. For example in the quests called "the play thing" I allways make sure I get all my lines correct. That will earn me 20 XP per correct line on top of the XP I get from the quest itself.And I also do the optional tasks as well.
And I play every gwent-game possible. Not that gwent alone give you XP, but all the gwent quests do give you XP. And in some quests you get more XP when you turn down money.

Hope that'll help you

So, it would be better to stick to main story within the 5 level range quests and perhaps a few contracts/side quests within the range and leave all POI for later, like after the Battle for Kaer Moern which boosts char level a lot, especially those "liberate area" with fixed exp points, than overlevelling the char doing all POI before, right? I always get the lines right and can beat anyone at gwent too. But there are some underlevelled quests like that for Zoltan's cards that are only available when my char is way above the suggested level. Same thing with a few other side quests and contracts. It's a minor flaw in game quests design perhaps.

So, it would be better to stick to main story within the 5 level range quests and perhaps a few contracts/side quests within the range and leave all POI for later, like after the Battle for Kaer Moern which boosts char level a lot, especially those "liberate area" with fixed exp points, than overlevelling the char doing all POI before, right? I always get the lines right and can beat anyone at gwent too. But there are some underlevelled quests like that for Zoltan's cards that are only available when my char is way above the suggested level. Same thing with a few other side quests and contracts. It's a minor flaw in game quests design perhaps.

Well that depends. I often do contracts as soon as Im close enough in level to do them, but if Im leveled up and two quests are about to turn grey I allways pick the quest that will give the most XP. idk how well it works but I seem to have no problem to level up enough.

@WolvenGear Ah wow, well that's where I've been going wrong also. I've still got quests that are more than 5 levels below me, and I keep seeing like 2xp or 5xp for almost everything now. Even things that I find while exploring, the little quests that just pop up, I literally am getting no XP from anywhere. I was wondering what was going on.

@Deathmagnetic I misunderstood you, sorry. I get what you're saying now. And with what Wolven has said in the above post, I do agree with you. Having read his post, I feel like I'm being punished for exploring as much as I did (still do). I do feel like I'm being pushed into doing to story.
But on the other hand, the story is scaled to you, and all the different quests are all at different levels so you don't just rush through all the side stuff, level up, then have it easy during the main story. But also, so there is something to do at each level. So I can understand it from the game's side also. I don't really understand how the story could be scaled to your level.
I know they did say something about not getting as much XP for quests lower than your level, but I didn't know it was going to be literally 1 or 2 XP. That's a little severe. I thought you'd get whatever XP was meant for that quest, regardless of when you did it. I mean, even exploring will mean you run into quests that are higher than you. I've already taken on and completed quests that had a red skull, so I don't think it's fair to be penalized by only getting a few XP.
After reading Wolven's post, and yours, you're right, it's actually counter-productive, and makes me not want to explore anymore now, because I don't want to run into anything I'm higher or lower than, and I'm sick of getting a handful of XP. It's actually restrictive. Just feels like you have to play the story, get to whatever level, do the quests for that level, do more story, get to another level, do side quests...rinse and repeat. Hmm. You and Wolven have changed my thinking on this.
At the moment, there is no point for me to do any quests that are lower than my level, because I get only 1 or 2 XP. Pity there are some quests which are bugged and I cannot do, because I can't interact with people.

Sorry. My intention was not to put you off your game.That's the last thing I wanted. I think this is a cracking game. Morrowind was my number one game of all time,but I think the witcher has taken the top spot...or is at least sharing it. I didn't think anything would budge morrowind from my number one spot.

I have played nothing but the witcher since release in may. I have done multiple playthroughs,and done god knows how many restarts. :) Over time I have noticed things that I ain't to keen on ,or I believe would be better changed. Not everyone will agree...and the devs could think i'm talking rubbish. But they are just my views after playing the game so much. If I didn't care about this game I wouldn't be here or posting about it. It's CDPR first open world game on all 3 platforms,and I think they deserve massive credit with this game. But at the same time,that does not mean I can't post my dislikes or opinions about it.

You mentioned how would they scale the story to our level.

Well,they would put a level scaling system in that checks your level. So,say I wanted to go and level to whatever level by exploring or doing other minor quests,I could do that without worrying or keeping one eye on the story. The scaling system would fit the story to my current level. As an example: The bloody baron quest suggests to be level 6. Meaning if I went and did lots of other things instead I would probably level past it by the time I do it. Scaling the story would make the bloody baron quest whatever level you currently are ( be it level 12 or 20 ) when you go to it, or return to it. So basically you can explore more without baby-sitting your level for the story.

After playing this game over and over,I do believe It does need some sort of level scaling...and not just limited to the story either. They could level scale certain other things,in ranges. Now,I'm not saying everything or every enemy should scale up. That's bad level scaling. But if used right level scaling could give this game a lot more freedom and replayability. The story ain't going anywhere..it's set in stone. I love the story,but that doesn't mean I should replay it over and over. But you basically have to. With the story being in place it's time to add more open world features that encourage more exploration and appreciation of the game world that was created,rather than being shoved along.

Anyway,I hope you still enjoy your game. :)

Last edited:
Oh no, no! No, you haven't put me off at all! Like you, I've been playing this since late May, and I'm loving it. I totally agree with your comments about this game and CD's efforts with it. I think it's a phenomenal achievement. I just meant that now that I understood where you're coming from, it does kinda put you off what the game would like you to do, and that's explore at your own pace.

Yes, I see what you mean. I actually agree with you. When I started the game first time, and in each new area since, I always wanted to just go and explore, because it's just so beautiful, and the music and sounds are so amazing, and I just wanted to see what's out there. So yes, when I finally got to parts of the story, I was almost always leveled beyond it. Much more so at the start than now.
Yes, you're right, it would make the story more interesting, as you could choose to do quests without worrying about over-leveling and not getting any XP. Especially that being over-leveled makes already easy game, even easier, which isn't much fun.

Thanks. I'm enjoying every minute of this game :)

Top Bottom