Am I the only one who can't play this game with a mouse?

+
Am I the only one who can't play this game with a mouse?

I'm starting this thread because I've gotten no help elsewhere. CDProjectred has not replied to my question, nor has anyone else on this forum.
I cannot play the game with mouse control. The game does not give me the option. When I go to options: controls: the screen displays a choice slot. What is on the slot as default is keyboard. However, no amount of clicking will change that screen to mouse control. I played the original game entirely under mouse with no problem, so I'd like to know WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

TW2 does not have mouse control. Just doesn't. It's not broken or hidden, it's not there.

TW1 was on an entirely different engine.

I'm assuming if 'keyboard' is displayed, that means your mouse should be enabled.

Are you talking about the in-game options menu, or the options menu that comes up before the actual game loads? You should be able to click the little arrow in the in-game option and it should give you controller, or mouse and keyboard as a choice.

Try running a diagnostic on your mouse as well.

guynwah said:
TW2 does not have mouse control. Just doesn't. It's not broken or hidden, it's not there.

TW1 was on an entirely different engine.

You need to go into a little more depth please. I know it doesn't have hardware mouse support, yet we can use a mouse...what does this mean?

TW1 had an option to play the game in isometric with all action controlled by a mouse, like, say, Planescape: Torment. Some players are used to that system.

TW2 doesn't have it. This has upset some players who were expecting it.

It's nothing to do with controller vs. mouse+keyboard. It's a mouse-only mode. But it isn't there, so not much point in looking for it.

CalinRO said:
It would be nice if they will implement settings for the mouse config.

Well, the fact is that the Witcher 2's combat engine is WAY more action-paced than the first one was. Left and right click are hard coded and you cannot change that, and it's honestly not possible with such a game.
The first Witcher was all about your stance and your timing, clicking when the sword became inflamed (or if you played harder levels, when you saw the red trail of your sword), Geralt doing all the rest, blocking "automatically" according to your skill blocking %, and dodging attacks using a similar "luck" algorythm which made the system a lot more "dice based" than human-controlled.

The Witcher 2 changed this system, in my own opinion for the better, but other may not agree. You must control your whole environment to be efficient, meaning you must react accordingly to the mobs around you. If one is attacking you in your back while you were about to hit his ally, you can take the hit or block it, but don't expect Geralt to block it automatically for you.

So, agreeing with that, it's just impossible to do everything Geralt needs to do : block, move, dodge, attack quickly, attack hardly, throw a sign, with only your mouse, even though you have the most advanced mouse of the market.
Whether you like it or not is not exactly the point, it's how this game is. It's in my opinion the best Story-Driven Action CRPG EVER, but that's only my opinion. There is no way you can control Geralt with your mouse only, and you will never be.

Thanks for the information. I will NOT be playing this game. Since I got it as a birthday present I guess I won't be getting my money back either. I WILL be telling my friends and associates about this fatal game flaw, hopefully saving them their money.
My opinion of programmers too lazy to incorporate mouse control in a game is extremely low. All the other new games out in the last year--Dragon Age 2, Fallout New Vegas, Mount & Blade Warband--allow mouse control. I doubt if the combat system in TW2 is any more involved than that in Warband. I also believe the developers should have issued a statement that the game would not have the option of mouse control. I believe they owe (at least) that much to the probably 50 percent of the original players who bought the first game.

DanConnors said:
Thanks for the information. I will NOT be playing this game. Since I got it as a birthday present I guess I won't be getting my money back either. I WILL be telling my friends and associates about this fatal game flaw, hopefully saving them their money.
My opinion of programmers too lazy to incorporate mouse control in a game is extremely low. All the other new games out in the last year--Dragon Age 2, Fallout New Vegas, Mount & Blade Warband--allow mouse control. I doubt if the combat system in TW2 is any more involved than that in Warband. I also believe the developers should have issued a statement that the game would not have the option of mouse control. I believe they owe (at least) that much to the probably 50 percent of the original players who bought the first game.
Your loss. Way to keep an open mind.......................................

And yes, the combat is very different from Warband.

DanConnors said:

First of all, the game does indeed support your mouse (I just booted it to make sure...;)) You use the mouse to pan left or right and up or down. You can set the keyboard bindings for movement however you'd like them. I have my keyboard cursor keys set for movement, foward, back, right, left, etc. Using the keyboard + mouse in this fashion is classic game control, and you must've played plenty of games that use this system.

If this isn't good enough for you then your preconceived notions (whatever they may be) are causing you to miss out on a truly great game...;) Here's wishing you get sane soon!

By mouse control I mean mouse control of movement forward and attack. I know you can turn yourself around with the mouse; that's not sufficient. In "Warband" you can move with the right mouse button and attack with same. The battles are extremely realistic and detailed and may involve 100 combatants at once. I don't believe TW2 has nearly that scope in its battles. You do have to rely on the keyboard to assume a defencive position (d) and to issue orders to your troops; I can put up with that.
I would have no quarrel with Cdproject red if they had made it clear that mouse control would be unavaiable for TW2. I simply wouldn't have gotten the game, and would have saved my son the 40 odd dollars he wasted on it (as a birthday present for me).

I don't know what you are talking about because you can attack using your mouse. A yellow cross comes on those that your attacking. I have had no problem and I would probably be the worst at playing as I can't get past the balister no matter what but I have no problem in attacking and have levelled up. The controlls are mouse and keyboard and are not hard and it makes the game play better than TW1. At the moment I am playing TW1 as I am stuck at the ballister QTE and I can tell you the game play is better in TW2 G's actions are a lot smoother.

Can you move your character using only your mouse? Turning in circles does not count as movement; you must be able to relocate from one position in the game world to another, using only the mouse.
The mouse was originally developed to reduce the amount of keyboard pounding required to produce engineering drawings in CADDS. When introduced as a computer game playing device its function was to simplify movement in these games. The current crop of game programmers seems to have lost sight of this fact. What cdproject red has done, in effect, is to take a gigantic leap backwards. Now, instead of pointing and clicking on the spot your character is to go to it's W, W, W: rotate character to avoid tree stump: W, W, S, S, Etc.
If you people are happy doing that, fine. To me it's a huge pain in the behind, and I'm not going to do it.
Good luck with the ballista; I believe if you had mouse controlled movement it wouldn't be a problem.

Mouse control was well suited to non-3D, non-real-time old-school RPGs. You need an overhead view (plan view or pseudo-isometric) and a discrete movement grid, and it works better with turn-based than simultaneous action.

This game has none of those characteristics, so mouse control would be a waste of effort. I'm sorry you're disappointed, but there are a kajillion things I would rather have than this old-school way of controlling a character.

Mouse control has nothing to do with the ballista problem, and I won't knock down your straw man for you.

DanConnors said:
By mouse control I mean mouse control of movement forward and attack. I know you can turn yourself around with the mouse; that's not sufficient. In "Warband" you can move with the right mouse button and attack with same. The battles are extremely realistic and detailed and may involve 100 combatants at once. I don't believe TW2 has nearly that scope in its battles. You do have to rely on the keyboard to assume a defencive position (d) and to issue orders to your troops; I can put up with that.
I would have no quarrel with Cdproject red if they had made it clear that mouse control would be unavaiable for TW2. I simply wouldn't have gotten the game, and would have saved my son the 40 odd dollars he wasted on it (as a birthday present for me).

I highly recommend that you simply play the game--as has been pointed out to you, you can attack using the mouse, and as you will see should you crack open the game (this is one of the strangest conversations I've had in recent memory...;)), clicking the mouse a certain way will also cause Geralt to move towards his targeted opponent while rolling and executing other maneuvers. It is not difficult in the slightest.
You sound thoroughly intimidated, for some reason. Ironically, once you learn the Witcher 2 control (should take you all of 60 seconds) you might just find it easier and superior to what you seem to think is supposed to be the "norm."

The fact simply is that many, many games executed on the PC have for years required the use of both the keyboard and the mouse, and TW2 is actually fairly standard in that way. Nothing unusual about it at all. As has been stated, mouse control is not "unavailable" for TW2. TW2 is, regrettably, TW2 and not Warband. It might be constructive for you to think of these games in that way...;)

If all else fails and you cannot master the *very* simple control mechanisms of TW2, I would recommend you simply give the game to your son as he probably is not as rigid in his preconceptions and may more easily adapt to a slightly different method of player control than that found in Warband. Good luck!

Dungeon Master: release date 1987 on the Amiga and PC. Real time, isometric or first person CRPG, entirely mouse controlled. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: released in the mid 90's. Real time, isometric CRPG's, entirely mouse controlled. There is literally no end to this list of games that were completely mouse controlled. They were all excellent games.
Now I'm being told that these were "old school" games, now obsolete, and I had best learn how to play a game with 2 hands on the keyboard and, perhaps, one of my feet on the mouse.
Sorry, it's not going to happen. I want games that are easy to control. Cdproject red is apparently no longer in that market, so I won't be buying anymore of their merchandise. It's a pity, because I really loved the original, played it through in the insane difficulty mode (on the hardest setting in insane difficulty). And I realise the original didn't have an insane difficulty setting. It was a DLC put out by a guy going under the monikker of "Flash".

DanConnors said:
Dungeon Master: release date 1987 on the Amiga and PC. Real time, isometric or first person CRPG, entirely mouse controlled. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: released in the mid 90's. Real time, isometric CRPG's, entirely mouse controlled. There is literally no end to this list of games that were completely mouse controlled. They were all excellent games.
Now I'm being told that these were "old school" games, now obsolete, and I had best learn how to play a game with 2 hands on the keyboard and, perhaps, one of my feet on the mouse.
Sorry, it's not going to happen. I want games that are easy to control. Cdproject red is apparently no longer in that market, so I won't be buying anymore of their merchandise. It's a pity, because I really loved the original, played it through in the insane difficulty mode (on the hardest setting in insane difficulty). And I realise the original didn't have an insane difficulty setting. It was a DLC put out by a guy going under the monikker of "Flash".

I still don't understand how you can not understand that The Witcher 2 and Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are truly different games. BG1/BG2, IcewindDale, NWN1&2 Dragon Age 1, are tactical CRPG. You can pause the game and control each and every character during this pause, and they will act accordingly to your commands using turn-based order. This approach is very similar to the PaperRPG one, and doesn't require anything else than a mouse because it doesn't require real time action. Those games are good, very good even, they are for a few of them (BG1&2 and DA1, I will not talk about DA2 which is a big shit in Bioware's story) even masterpieces. However, comparing TW2 with any of those games would be like comparing Starcraft and Rome : Total War. Both are good, both shares common points, but they are truly different games, with a different approach.

The Witcher 2 is an Action RPG. Everything happens in real time, and you can only slow down the action to change your sign, your thrown weapon, but that's it. All the rest have to be done in real time, and no matter how good you are, you wouldn't be able to do that with a mouse unless you make the game turn and dice-based, like TW1 was. We can perfectly understand you don't like that, but I won't agree the problem comes from the game. It's just you than is unable to adapt.
It's rather refreshing to see different games from time to time, different approach.

DanConnors said:
in truth BG1 and 2 where turn based games simulating a real time combat.
And every action (attack, parry, dodge) was automaticalli done based on your character statisctics.

Witcher 2 on the other way around is not turn based and you have to do every single frakking action by yourself, they are not automatically done.

How could you control that in Diablo style?

Top Bottom