Am I the only one who can't play this game with a mouse?

+
I'll rephrase. I am now 65 years old, no longer capable of playing arcade style games. I never was. When Pac Man came out 20 years ago there was no way I could compete with my kids on that game or its scores of competitors. When mouse driven CRPG's emerged (Dungeon Master, the gold box series, etc.) I found my niche. These were games I could play and enjoy. The original Witcher was one of these games. So, I expected, would be TW2, but it didn't turn out that way.
You're right about DA 2 by the way. It turned into one of the most boring, repetitive games I have ever played. I fondly hoped TW 2 would live up to my expectations, but it didn't.
Fortunately Fallout New Vegas did, and they have already released two excellent DLC's for it (Honest Hearts and Dead Money). Both have great replayability.
So, goodnight, thanks for the info, but I'm headed back to New Vegas.
Oh, and Zander Rat half a wit is better off than no wit at all, and this just about sums you up: Wit/2

You really should give it a go as it's not hard, and I am middle aged and lame at gaming. You can move using the w key and your mouse to turn. I am playing it on easy as I always play a game on that setting the first time until I know the game play, and it is extremely easy to kill. Even though I am stuck I have not given up.

I can see where this could get out of hand and would rather not close a topic but will if the need arises .

Let`s keep it in check fellas

Zanderat said:
Wait. You can play Fallout New Vegas with a mouse and keyboard but not TW2?
From what he is saying he can play it only with mouse.
I played F3, but don't remember such feature. Was it implemented in new vegas?

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas allow you to choose a mouse for your primary input device. If you chose this method, forward movement is controlled by the left mouse button. Shooting at enemies is acomplished with the right button. Opening doors, picking up loot, interactions in general, are handled by the middle roller button.
This is not the default option, but it can be done (thank God). Certain actions, most notably going into VATS, must be initiated by the keyboard 'v' which is no problem for me. Inventory, stats, maps are all handled by the 'tab' key and the mouse. This also pauses the game, as does going into VATS, so, if you are getting your butt kicked, you can pause to think.
It's a very efficient, simple way to play a game.

The problem is that TW2 has two different attack methods, which you need to be able to change as you fight. That means it would need two mouse buttons instead of one. You also need to be able to use a sign, which needs a minimum of one more button, preferably five to match the keyboard equivalent. Add four roll options to this.

So you need a mouse with an awful lot of buttons. Which really means a controller, not a mouse.

It's your decision on whether or not you're prepared to use the keyboard/mouse or controller, and not all games suit everyone. But it isn't a flaw in the game, it's just that it was designed to be played in a way that doesn't suit you personally.

VATS. I don't know New Vegas, but in F3 it was completely broken by a certain patch. None of the talent/perks who granted aiming bonus in VATS worked anymore, thus it was completely useless =_=

SiodhachanSuileabhin said:
VATS. I don't know New Vegas, but in F3 it was completely broken by a certain patch. None of the talent/perks who granted aiming bonus in VATS worked anymore, thus it was completely useless =_=

VATS bonuses work in NW. I didnt use it much because I got a Bullet Time mod for both games though.

Witcher 1 had 3 different attack modes: against heavy armor, light armor, and groups. It also had steel (for humans) and silver (against monsters). All 6 styles could be quickly and easily selected by the mouse. Ditto for Aard and Igni attacks, plus the other signs I never used. If I remember right you used your right mouse button to cast signs. Also, in the insane difficulty mode (a DLC by Flash) you had to constantly guard against being surrounded by enemies. I successfully played through this, on its most insanely hard setting, using a mouse. I was also able to get him to turn sumersaults, spin in midair, etc. With a mouse.
It's not the game. It's lazy programmers.

No, it's you who has the problem and just because you can't handle the controlls you don't have to put the blame on the programmers.

I understand your difficulties very well, believe me or not, I'm an almost Granny too, have been playing PC games all the time with the mouse too, I guess for 20 years now. Okay, with the exception of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake, the very first game volumes in the 90ies (?).
And now I can't get it right with the WASD controls, not to mention combat in TW2. That's frustrating and irritating for me. But that's not the programmers' fault.

I'm not very skilled in programming so I don't know if it's possible to change the game controlls for mouse-players. But I'm CDPR would change it just to have happy and satisfied TW2 mouse-players too.

Ah... and I almost forgot to answer your topic question: Yes, here's someone who has problems to play TW2 without mouse but I don't shout in the forums and insult others. So please relax, okay?
Thanks

I can perfectly understand OP's issue, not that I share those. When you're a great fan of CRPG, that you know you have a very good in your hand, but that for some reasons you cannot play it right, it's frustrating.
First day I played TW2, the game didn't allow you to invert the Y axis of the mouse. Actually it did, but not through ingame options, so I had to deal with a non inverted mouse for the few hours of my ingame time. Fortunately enough, I found the options through a .txt file, and I could finally enjoy the game as I wanted to.

However, what is asked there is to switch a real time action game to a turn based action game. Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, no matter how good are these games, do not have a demanding combat system. It's rather easy to get your way through the game, and none of the combat feels really epic there. It was, personnally, one of my blame with Fallout 3, one of the main reason I stopped before the very last mission. However, TW2 is closer from, let's say, Half Life 2, or any FPS game when it comes to movement. At least in the harder difficulties, you have to be able to at least press two keyboard keys in the same time, accordingly with your mouse activity, to be efficient while fighting. It's by far not the only game like that. If mouse en keyboard is your issue, you may try with a gamepad. Gamepad are not that hard to handle, they are not hardcore peripherals for a few selected people.
If you cannot stand using a gamepad, you can still use an advanced mouse with many buttons. My Logitech G700 has around 10 buttons I can use easily in games, and most of them are fully programmable with a software. I never actually tried, but I'm sure such a mouse would allow me to do most of the things I need to do in TW2, at least to play in easy mode.

Of course, you'll not fully experience the game, but the story by itself worth it. You have the game anyway, and if you're a gamer and can only play with your mouse only, then an advanced gamer mouse is the way to go in my opinion. With a bit of training, I'm even sure you'll get used to use your keyboard in the same. Oh, you'll not do it as efficiently as a 25 years old person, but you'll do it just fine, video games are no planes neither are rocket science. If you drive, you can definitely play TW2, with training and a bit of abnegation. Do it once in easy, and for sure, the next time you'll play it it will be in normal.

Well, last post for me as my son is coming to pick up the game, and I'll be blowing it off my hard drive. But I have to wonder what the next great leap forward in game input will be. Perhaps a simple telegraph key (replacing the entire keyboard with a single key) where all commands will be entered in Morse code. Don't know Morse code? Learn it; you'll be glad you did in the end. THE GAME IS WORTH IT!!!
Further in the future may be heliographs (wireless telegraph), semaphoe flags, and, finally, that ultimate in sophistication, smoke signals.
Enjoy!!

DanConnors said:
Well, last post for me as my son is coming to pick up the game, and I'll be blowing it off my hard drive. But I have to wonder what the next great leap forward in game input will be. Perhaps a simple telegraph key (replacing the entire keyboard with a single key) where all commands will be entered in Morse code. Don't know Morse code? Learn it; you'll be glad you did in the end. THE GAME IS WORTH IT!!!
Further in the future may be heliographs (wireless telegraph), semaphoe flags, and, finally, that ultimate in sophistication, smoke signals.
Enjoy!!

This isn't called for....

But for what it's worth, I also didn't find the keyboard controls very intuitive, but no more so than Fallout 3 and Vegas (except for the fact that there is a auto-run key for the FO games), and also play them using a PC controller (where movement is much more intuitive, if not aiming...). If you have a PC controller, you can easily set it up to play TW2 using an X360 controller emulator. I like the 'isometric' camera view of TW1, and prefer that sort of interface over first person or third person views. But I absolutely detested combat in TW1 (and would have never finished it if not for TW2), with its endless instant monster respawns.

DanConnors said:
Enjoy!!
If I wrote a comment like this, then re-read it a few days later, I'd be so ashamed of my behaviour, especially if I were a parent, and still exhibited such an immature way of dealing with things. I suspect, DanConnors, that your problems far exceed your displeasure with this, or any other video game.

Your issue is legit, granted, but whatever support you may have had originally, evaporated following this comment of yours. Sad, just sad.

Couldnt you just have said: "Sorry, but if I cant play this game with mouse only I wont play it. Well, nevermind." and be done with it ? Hell, Im a young student and I wouldnt complain as much as you do if that would be the case. I would just return the game (or sell it used) and play another one.

Pham said:
Couldnt you just have said: "Sorry, but if I cant play this game with mouse only I wont play it. Well, nevermind." and be done with it ? Hell, Im a young student and I wouldnt complain as much as you do if that would be the case. I would just return the game (or sell it used) and play another one.

As with many internet exchanges, the tone of the 'conversation' just degenerated with subsequent replies. The "WHAT THE HELL" tone of his first post certainly didn't help to set the terms of a civil exchange.....

To be fair, the OP is not talking about the game being 'too difficult', or disliking the combat system, or anything of that sort (and I gather that he became agitated when some people misunderstood and replied with the assumption that these things were what made him dislike the game). He just doesn't like the camera and control interface, which changed drastically from TW1 (top-down isometric view, strategic rather than action oriented combat). This I understand and sympathize to some extent. But this is information you should be able to garner just by reading some online reviews and watching YouTube gameplay trailers. One shouldn't wait to purchase a game and try it out before one become disappointed with something that has already been widely showcased and discussed on the internet.

I would not have played TW2 if I could not have used input methods other than keyboard and mouse, but I Googled and searched for instructions on how to get PC gamepads working in this game prior to purchase (to be fair, it only worked without issues after the game was patched to 1.2). I thoroughly dislike the WASD action genre and that kind of keyboard movement interface (not to mention that it hurts my wrist), and find my PC gamepad an indispensable alternative input device in such instances. The only game which I will continue to play using WASD movement controls is Mount and Blade: Warband.

Top Bottom