Am I the only one who can't play this game with a mouse?

+
I had a gamepad for pc years ago.
I only used it once, I never felt it practical to use. The same goes for my PS3's controller. Everty time I play I feel the urge to go and buy a mouse and keyboard for the PS3.
To move a character with a gamepad is the most unconfortable and unprecise thing in gaming.

The way witcher 2 and any other game handle movements with mouse + wasd is the absolutely most fitting to me.

That said, each one has its own preferences, but those should not be used to value the goodness of a game.

SiodhachanSuileabhin said:
To move a character with a gamepad is the most unconfortable and unprecise thing in gaming.

Yes, to each his/her own, but I must inquire about your rationale for WASD vs. gamepad movement :)

With gamepad, I only need a thumb to direct the movement of the character, leaving my other fingers on that hand free to operate various other buttons on the gamepad (most notably the left or right trigger button, depending on whether one has set up the controls for left or right handedness). In a game where I can remap controller buttons (eg. Fallout 3 or New Vegas), I can also remap the jump key to the analogue stick button. By contrast, the WASD movement layout virtually ensures an entire hand is preoccupied by character movement alone. To do anything else with that hand, even to hit a hotkey, usually means losing full control over character movement and the ability to move fluidly and act simultaneously. On top of this, there is no need to an additional run/walk toggle button with gamepad, which I've always found useful in ensuring character movements are precise--not so much a concern in TW2, but more of a concern in open-roaming games where your character can fall off ledges and such.

The downside to gamepad is that there is not enough keys, so one needs to get accustomed to things like 'quick action wheel' (for choosing signs, in TW2). The game purposely slows down into 'bullet-time' when the wheel is pull-up to facilitate this, so it's not an issue here. A better alternative, I feel, would have been to allow remapping of hotkeys to directional buttons (as in Fallout 3 and New Vegas). But I digress.

The way witcher 2 and any other game handle movements with mouse + wasd is the absolutely most fitting to me.

This I understand. You are accustomed to this particular control layout and have conditioned your gaming reactions and responses appropriately to make full use of it. I use to be WASD as well, for the simple fact that most PC action games did not accommodate gamepad controls, a trend that changed when major game developers began releasing games on multi-platforms. My main reason is medical though. I think I've developed carpal tunnel syndrome from playing Mount and Blade: Warband so much....

I'm talking about precision. Have you ever tried an FPS with a gamepad and perform headshots leisurely without aiming-assistance from the game?
I can play with a joystick, a gamepad, mouse alone, keyboard alone with no problem whatsoever because I started playing long time ago and experimented everyting (well, I never tried a trackball mouse ).
But what use can I have of my left hand being able to perform other actions, if the analog stic or the direction pad don't allow me to aim who I want, when I want and where I want?

On PS3 the only shooter I play is Uncharted because I f*cking love it, but oh boy! how I hate to aim with a stupid stick! Give me a mouse and I can frag the ass of a mosquito at 1 km before the gamepad even allows me to come close to it with the crossair!

SiodhachanSuileabhin said:
I'm talking about precision. Have you ever tried an FPS with a gamepad and perform headshots leisurely without aiming-assistance from the game?
I can play with a joystick, a gamepad, mouse alone, keyboard alone with no problem whatsoever because I started playing long time ago and experimented everyting (well, I never tried a trackball mouse ).
But what use can I have of my left hand being able to perform other actions, if the analog stic or the direction pad don't allow me to aim who I want, when I want and where I want?

On PS3 the only shooter I play is Uncharted because I f*cking love it, but oh boy! how I hate to aim with a stupid stick! Give me a mouse and I can frag the ass of a mosquito at 1 km before the gamepad even allows me to come close to it with the crossair!

Yes, I completely agree that shooter aiming is very unintuitive with a gamepad in comparison to mouse. I mentioned this in my reply to the OP and it is why I keep qualifying my positives about gamepads with "at least with movement." But surely, this does not apply to melee combat like in TW2?

yupper said:
Yes, I completely agree that shooter aiming is very unintuitive with a gamepad in comparison to mouse. I mentioned this in my reply to the OP and it is why I keep qualifying my positives about gamepads with "at least with movement." But surely, this does not apply to melee combat like in TW2?
Well, when 2 normal soldiers and an armored knight with a 2 handed swirling blade surround you, being unable to roll in the right way, send an aard to the swirling guy and aim the one who is about to hit you to parry him, I'd say that it applies even on melee combat in TW2.

Because tust me, even if you where able to aime the right way in every action, the last guy will hit you when you are still focused on the swirling guy, while with a mouse you'll have a quicker response in turning where you want.

I always play pure action games with a pad (and FIFA, but that doesnt count). As long as there is a lock-on option that has the character always face the opponent, I have perfect control of movement and rolling. TW2 doesnt qualify though, since it has an inventory :D

yupper said:

I think it does. The whole camera movement is so easier with a mouse that it completely makes it better overall (in my humble opinion), than a gamepad.
The only problem, as you mention it, is that we're missing analog control on the movement.
That is quite easy to notice it in TW2 when you approach a door. You're generally too fast with your keyboard, and have some problems positionning yourself, when with a gamepad, it should be easier.

However, whatever suits one more, is the best for him, no point discussing that. The best game is obviously the one allowing you to control your character as you want, keyboard, mouse, trackball, gamepad, smoke signals, etc :)

This might be a really bad suggestion...

But if playing the game is very hard, once can use a modification to the game..something on the lines of a cheat to enjoy game.

AnarkiHunter said:
This might be a really bad suggestion...

But if playing the game is very hard, once can use a modification to the game..something on the lines of a cheat to enjoy game.

It's not a bad suggestion per se. It's a single player game so I always respect the fact that the players can do whatever they want and should not have to be subjected to inflammatory remarks or ridicule ('cheating is lame' or 'why cheat? you ruin the game'). Personally, I feel you should do at least one playthrough without any cheats to really gauge the quality of the game. In subsequent playthroughs, many players will use cheats to cut down on the amount of time spent on 'grinding' so they can get to the fun parts, and I tend to do that as well. Modding, on the other hand, is always fun and appreciated, especially mods that make the game more difficult :)

However, the OP's issue was not that he found the game 'too difficult', but that he had issue with the camera and gameplay interface. Most notably, he preferred the TW1 style overhead isometric camera and more strategic oriented combat versus the third person view and action oriented combat of TW2. I tend to agree with him (at least with the camera view), but obviously, there are many, many TW2 players who like the technical transformation from TW1 to TW2.

Top Bottom