Am i the only one??

+
I'm at the stage where I have finished the main game, HOS and B&W but cannot bear to say goodbye to Geralt so I am scanning the maps for small things to do. It's amazing how a game can have such a deep effect on one's emotions. I did feel pretty shattered after the Mass Effect games but this is even worse. And I don't know anyone in 'real life' who plays them so it's great to know you guys feel the same. Hats off to the makers of this amazing series.

i know how you feel bro. i did that too for a while, until the only things left were the endless sunken treasures in skellige.

i really really think the devs wasted way too much time with skellige-- all those small empty islands and endless amount of underwater treasures, whose only use is to sell to vendors.

The Witcher 3 had a weird affect on me. It's the best game i have ever played and the best lore/story universe i have ever read,played but i couldn't complete random side quests, i felt so empty not doing stuff related to Yen,Ciri so unless the side quests was tied to the main game or is quite a big contract/side quest i tended to skip it, i still have dozens of ? on my map. Very unlike me, i usually complete a game 100% or near that. Supposed im just to attached to these characters :)

There is a mod that is being made for The Witcher 2 that seems to be about what you want. It is very unlikely that such content would be added to the game as fan service, let alone targeting only a specific group of players.

There is a mod that is being made for The Witcher 2 that seems to be about what you want. It is very unlikely that such content would be added to the game as fan service, let alone targeting only a specific group of players.

But that's my point, the whole frigging Triss romance IS FAN SERVICE, atleast it is in my opinion, the real Geralt would not even think of breaking up with Yen once he regains his memory. I don't understand why having additional Yen stuff is "Fan-Service" since she is the canon "romance" lol (if it's called romance for something that has existed for 20+ years then LOL). But meh.

Last edited:
But that's my point, the whole frigging Triss romance IS FAN SERVICE, atleast it is in my opinion, the real Geralt would not even think of breaking up with Yen once he regains his memory. I don't understand why having additional Yen stuff is "Fan-Service" since she is the canon romance lol. But meh.
Couldn't agree more. The only reason why I'm considering romancing Triss on a second playthrough is because I want to see everything the game has to offer. But on my first playthrough, it was the obvious choice to go for Yen because... well, she's the woman he loves in the books. Romancing Triss felt wrong. I did so in TW2 (at least during Act 1- never made it past the opening sequence of Act 2) because there was no Yen and I didn't want Geralt to be all alone but Triss was always second choice for me. As soon as they introduced Yen, I knew what to do :) Besides, I've always liked Yen despite her being quite bitchy at times :)

But that's my point, the whole frigging Triss romance IS FAN SERVICE, atleast it is in my opinion, the real Geralt would not even think of breaking up with Yen once he regains his memory. I don't understand why having additional Yen stuff is "Fan-Service" since she is the canon romance lol. But meh.

You may think like that, but that is only your opinion, you have no authority to decide what is "canon" in the game. It is CDPR's IP, and they already decided that Geralt can break up with Yennefer, and that he can romance Triss and retire with her. It could just as well be said that the Yennefer romance is fan service to book readers, as she was not in the previous games and it would have been possible to write the story in a way that she never appears. However, that would be only an opinion worth as much as yours. When you are talking about the "real Geralt", you are referring to your Geralt, not everyone else's, and definitely not the game's Geralt. What Geralt can think of, according to the game's writers, is already told to you via the set of choices that were made available.

And adding more Yennefer (or any other) content to an already finished game for the sole purpose of satisfying shippers would definitely be fan service. Anyway, it is rather unlikely that more content would be added to the game now, but if it was, it would support both romances, just like it did in Blood and Wine.

Couldn't agree more. The only reason why I'm considering romancing Triss on a second playthrough is because I want to see everything the game has to offer. But on my first playthrough, it was the obvious choice to go for Yen because... well, she's the woman he loves in the books. Romancing Triss felt wrong. I did so in TW2 (at least during Act 1- never made it past the opening sequence of Act 2) because there was no Yen and I didn't want Geralt to be all alone but Triss was always second choice for me. As soon as they introduced Yen, I knew what to do :) Besides, I've always liked Yen despite her being quite bitchy at times :)

She is "bitchy" as you say for reasons tho. You know... like finding her daughter she hasn't seen for 4-5 years? As she is also in mortal danger by the Wild Hunt, ya know. You also see what she is like when she isn't just thinking about Ciri but also enjoying herself with her love Geralt, there you see her open up and banter with him and she even squeezes in the time to ask Geralt to help her find a Djinn so that she can be certain her love is authentic, as she loves Geralt more than anyone and she wants to settle down with him. She is clearly very, very happy when canon Geralt says how nothing has changed and that he still loves her exactly the same. Just look at Kaer Morhen, She spends a week trying to get Lambert & Eskel to do what she asked and Geralt arrives and does it all within a couple hours and even Yen can't help but thank him, the big smile she gives him, it's like "Look at him helping me... :heart:"

---------- Updated at 08:09 AM ----------

You may think like that, but that is only your opinion, you have no authority to decide what is "canon" in the game. It is CDPR's IP, and they already decided that Geralt can break up with Yennefer, and that he can romance Triss and retire with her. It could just as well be said that the Yennefer romance is fan service to book readers, as she was not in the previous games and it would have been possible to write the story in a way that she never appears. However, that would be only an opinion worth as much as yours. When you are talking about the "real Geralt", you are referring to your Geralt, not everyone else's, and definitely not the game's Geralt. What Geralt can think of, according to the game's writers, is already told to you via the set of choices that were made available.

And adding more Yennefer (or any other) content to an already finished game for the sole purpose of satisfying shippers would definitely be fan service. Anyway, it is rather unlikely that more content would be added to the game now, but if it was, it would support both romances, just like it did in Blood and Wine.

Your argument here is really weak. You can play as a Canon-Geralt based of the character written in the books, Geralt already has his own character by the time you play Witcher 3, you as the player can either choose to follow this Geralt (as CDPR makes all the dialogue options follow this Lore friendly Geralt) or you can go full player choice and that is where all the other options come into play. Geralt getting with Yennefer again after being apart for 2 years is not MY Geralt, it's the lore friendly Geralt... rofl. Also it isn't satisfying shippers... -_- what a stupid use of words, how is having Ciri turn up and the 3 of them having a happy, family reunion once again in their own home a "Fan service" ?, they have wanted this since the end of the books.

They should remove all scenes of pointless love and romance between Geralt/Yen. As most of it is unnecessary and doesn't add to the plot of the game, delete the Kaer Morhen sex scene and just keep the Last Wish as the only romance talk with her, after that... i don't understand what your getting at lol. They love each other very much so what is wrong with them showing it in the games? ...

Last edited:
She is "bitchy" as you say for reasons tho. You know... like finding her daughter she hasn't seen for 4-5 years? As she is also in mortal danger by the Wild Hunt, ya know. You also see what she is like when she isn't just thinking about Ciri but also enjoying herself with her love Geralt, there you see her open up and banter with him and she even squeezes in the time to ask Geralt to help her find a Djinn so that she can be certain her love is authentic, as she loves Geralt more than anyone and she wants to settle down with him. She is clearly very, very happy when canon Geralt says how nothing has changed and that he still loves her exactly the same. Just look at Kaer Morhen, She spends a week trying to get Lambert & Eskel to do what she asked and Geralt arrives and does it all within a couple hours and even Yen can't help but thank him, the big smile she gives him, it's like "Look at him helping me... :heart:"
I know :) I understand why she's being bitchy at times; she has her reasons, as you point out. I really like her when she's all "OMG Geralt I love you so much" and lets her guard down because that is proof that she's not a scheming bitch but cares about both Geralt and Ciri. I love those moments :) When Geralt told her he still loved her after the Djinn had lifted the wish I actually cried a little because it was beautifully done :)

What was this thread originally about, again? :p

Your argument here is really weak. You can play as a Canon-Geralt based of the character written in the books, Geralt already has his own character by the time you play Witcher 3, you as the player can either choose to follow this Geralt (as CDPR makes all the dialogue options follow this Lore friendly Geralt) or you can go full player choice and that is where all the other options come into play. Geralt getting with Yennefer again after being apart for 2 years is not MY Geralt, it's the lore friendly Geralt... rofl.

It is your argument that is weak, since it is based on the notion that people can never change, which is not realistic. There are plenty of examples in real life where someone loves a woman, even for decades, and then ends up with someone else years later. There is no objectively "canon" Geralt, you are entitled to believing that he can never love anyone other than Yennefer, but that is still only your opinion. On the other hand, it is a fact that the choice exists in the game, and others are entitled to their opinion that Geralt can choose differently by the time of the game as much as you are to yours.

Also it isn't satisfying shippers... -_- what a stupid use of words, how is having Ciri turn up and the 3 of them having a happy, family reunion once again in their own home a "Fan service" ?, they have wanted this since the end of the books.

Just because they want that in the books, it does not mean it necessarily has to happen in the game. After all, the Witcher games are not about perfect happy endings anyway, nor about clear "right" and "wrong" choices. By the end of Wild Hunt, Ciri has grown up, and she lives separately from Geralt (as a witcher or empress) after the ending, while the latter retires. That is just how the story is written. You might not like that and prefer a "happy family reunion" instead with the three living together, but demanding the game to be changed to include that is indeed asking for fan service. The content in The Witcher 3 is finished, perhaps it would be best to accept the game for what it is and move on ?

They should remove all scenes of pointless love and romance between Geralt/Yen. As most of it is unnecessary and doesn't add to the plot of the game, delete the Kaer Morhen sex scene and just keep the Last Wish as the only romance talk with her, after that... i don't understand what your getting at lol. They love each other very much so what is wrong with them showing it in the games? ...

No, I said nothing about removing anything, that is just hyperbole. The game obviously already includes the romance between Geralt and Yennefer. And the one between Geralt and Triss. And also the case where the witcher ends up alone. Nothing needs to be removed. But if something was to be added, however unlikely that seems now, then it should ideally take into account all those possibilities, and stay consistent with the concepts of the characters and relationships that already exist in the game.

It is your argument that is weak, since it is based on the notion that people can never change, which is not realistic. There are plenty of examples in real life where someone loves a woman, even for decades, and then ends up with someone else years later. There is no objectively "canon" Geralt, you are entitled to believing that he can never love anyone other than Yennefer, but that is still only your opinion. On the other hand, it is a fact that the choice exists in the game, and others are entitled to their opinion that Geralt can choose differently by the time of the game as much as you are to yours.

Just because they want that in the books, it does not mean it necessarily has to happen in the game. After all, the Witcher games are not about perfect happy endings anyway, nor about clear "right" and "wrong" choices. By the end of Wild Hunt, Ciri has grown up, and she lives separately from Geralt (as a witcher or empress) after the ending, while the latter retires. That is just how the story is written. You might not like that and prefer a "happy family reunion" instead with the three living together, but demanding the game to be changed to include that is indeed asking for fan service. The content in The Witcher 3 is finished, perhaps it would be best to accept the game for what it is and move on ?

No, I said nothing about removing anything, that is just hyperbole. The game obviously already includes the romance between Geralt and Yennefer. And the one between Geralt and Triss. And also the case where the witcher ends up alone. Nothing needs to be removed. But if something was to be added, however unlikely that seems now, then it should ideally take into account all those possibilities, and stay consistent with the concepts of the characters and relationships that already exist in the game.

Please, we know Geralt hasn't changed at all, look at how he spent it searching for Yen and even before the Last Wish quest he is constantly complimenting her beauty. It's player choice that allows you to break up with her at that point and nothing more. The characters throughout the game world including Ciri mention how "hmff, you haven't changed a bit" so the game itself is telling you basically this is the exact same person, so stuff that he wouldn't normally do (such as breaking up with yen) are player choice.

Maybe i didn't explain myself properly, i agree with you, Ciri is an adult now and not the 15-16 year old teenager she was in the books. Ciri can live her own life as the Witcheress or the Empress, that i understand. But they are still her parents, you know? There is nothing wrong with her visiting them together in their new home and staying their for a couple days with her family. You understand?

Everytime i hear Geralt and Triss i fucking cringe. She doesn't even deserve him, what has she actually done to deserve by this point. Betrayed him for both personal and political gains, absolutely disgusting woman, great big sister you was siding with the lodge and not her... *Sigh* some people like her tho ayy :confusion:

---------- Updated at 09:25 AM ----------

I know :) I understand why she's being bitchy at times; she has her reasons, as you point out. I really like her when she's all "OMG Geralt I love you so much" and lets her guard down because that is proof that she's not a scheming bitch but cares about both Geralt and Ciri. I love those moments :) When Geralt told her he still loved her after the Djinn had lifted the wish I actually cried a little because it was beautifully done :)

Yeah bro i feel the exact same way here. She puts up this strong willed, feisty, independent woman on the outside, even "bossing" him about in public (she just doesn't want him to make a fool of himself or her) but then when they are alone and you see her open up and start playing with Geralt, for example the banter about the werewolf, i love seeing this side of Yen, showing her true colours to the man she loves (Well actually, she didn't even have these 'true colours' until she met Geralt, Geralt slowly changed her and allowed her to realise that she can and does infact feel love,compassion and that it isn't a weakness, like she was taught by Tissaia). It's great to see her when she is laughing or toying with Geralt tho like you said. One moment she is all "Geralt... we must find the mask" and the next she is "Bested nearly ALL the stuffed beasts in here :>" and it's like ahhh her funny side is really nice lol. It's shown best in BaW, when she knows Ciri is safe and that she can finally settle down with the love of her life and not worry about plots and politics again, she is just opened to him completely when she is talking on that couch. I don't understand why some people think she is a scheming bitch at all, she wants what is best for her daughter and the man she loves and so she fights for these, sometimes tooth and nail politically, but she fights for it. Since the Witcher 3 she hasn't schemed against Geralt or Ciri for over 20 years, even when Geralt and Yen were breaking up in their "early days" she was still supporting him, providing him secretly with increased funds and returning his missing swords secretly, usually Yennefer used someone as an instrument and then discarded them, but here you have Yennefer, who hasn't been with Geralt for a good 6-7 years (prior to Thanedd in the books i mean here) and she is still caring for him secretly making sure he has enough money to live on. So she is actually a very caring woman.. She is just good at hiding it under her exterior shell.

---------- Updated at 09:35 AM ----------

What was this thread originally about, again? :p

Healthy Derailment.

Last edited:
Please, we know Geralt hasn't changed at all, look at how he spent it searching for Yen and even before the Last Wish quest he is constantly complimenting her beauty.

That does not prove he did not change, and if I recall correctly the compliments before The Last Wish like "you smell wonderful" are mostly optional. It is possible for him to search for Yennefer, but their reunion not work out in the end. Wanting to find someone who might be in danger is not necessarily the same as loving her forever. Also, the break up is not even always Geralt's conscious choice, it can also be a consequence to not doing The Last Wish.

It's player choice that allows you break up with her at that point and nothing more.

It is also player choice not to break up with her. As is playing The Last Wish quest in the first place, while skipping it leads to the default outcome of a break up, too. None of that proves which choice is right, however.

The characters throughout the game world including Ciri mention how "hmff, you haven't changed a bit" so the game itself is telling you basically this is the exact same person

That is an interesting way to spin it, Ciri's comment at Kaer Morhen is more likely about their appearance, that is, they look the same as before, especially since she sees Vesemir and Yennefer for the first time after years. It is not like she can tell if Geralt feels about Yennefer exactly the same way as before without reading his mind, after spending only a small amount of time with him and not even talking about his relationships.

But they are still her parents, you know? There is nothing wrong with her visiting them together in their new home and staying their for a couple days with her family.

Of course she could visit Geralt, although it does not necessarily have to be shown in the game. I guess not showing a "family scene" and using the epilogue of the base game to bring closure to Ciri's story makes it more clear that Ciri will live her own life after the ending. Then again, she does show up as a visitor at Corvo Bianco if Geralt is alone. But if it was added as new content, there is no reason either why it would be exclusive to the case when Geralt is with Yennefer.

Everytime i hear Geralt and Triss i fucking cringe. She doesn't even deserve him, what has she actually done to deserve by this point. Betrayed him for both personal and political gains, absolutely disgusting woman, great big sister you was siding with the lodge and not her... *Sigh* some people like her tho ayy

It does not matter what you think about her, because Geralt's character clearly does not agree with you, even if he otherwise chooses Yennefer, he remains friendly towards Triss. Who seems to mostly overcome her past faults by the time of TW3 anyway, that is a part of her development over the saga. And to be honest, if it was someone else in her place, you would probably also find that other character "disgusting" using whatever excuses, that is just how jealousy works. :)

Nothing really jealous about it, she is the jealous woman. I don't think she is over it really, she literally brags that she used him, to him so i view that as she was glad he lost his memory, so that she could ride his dick for a year without Yennefer getting in the way. She would gladly manipulate Geralt again if he lost his memory again (if she could) so i generally don't think she has moved on at all. Yes, she has asked for forgiveness and moved on from wanting to use Geralt, Ciri and Yen for the lodge, she asked for that forgiveness in the books, (Then continued to use him again for the lodge in the Witcher 1 -_-) Atleast finally by Witcher 2 she becomes more and more anti-lodge and starts valuing Geralt more and more, but she is just using him for her own purposes and gains now and not a political organisation.

I find your "it's all player choice" perspective quite annoying, If you have players doing things completely out of character it makes the entire 7 books almost worthless. Whether you agree with me or not on this one issue, doesn't matter. There is a Canon-Geralt in the Witcher 3 that you CAN follow. This Canon-Geralt will every single time get with Yen, that is all that interests me.

Nothing really jealous about it, she is the jealous woman.

I meant the jealousy of fans, who want the other option to be removed, and use anything they can (even in a disingenuous way) to discredit it. It could have been anyone else in the place of Triss, and that character would still receive the same hate anyway.

She would gladly manipulate Geralt again if he lost his memory again (if she could) so i generally don't think she has moved on at all.

Do you have anything to back that claim up with ?

Atleast finally by Witcher 2 she becomes more and more anti-lodge and starts valuing Geralt more and more, but she is just using him for her own purposes and gains now and not a political organisation.

She is not using him in any way that can be proven after the prologue of the second game. In TW3 she even helps him and Ciri for no personal or political benefit at all, and even after getting turned down as a love interest, at the battle of Kaer Morhen and until the Wild Hunt is defeated. Not to mention letting herself be tortured by witch hunters to help him find Dandelion (and by extension, Ciri).

I find your "it's all player choice" perspective quite annoying, If you have players doing things completely out of character it makes the entire 7 books almost worthless.

How would people making different choices than you in a video game make the books worthless ? The books are still exactly the same as before. The games even made them more popular, more people read them now than in the past.

Also, what is annoying about pointing out the obvious ? It is indeed all player choice within the games, and what is in character has been defined by the set of choices that were made available to the player. That is, in character according to the games' authors, maybe not according to some of the fans, but I trust the authority of the former more. :) There is not much point starting a religious war over what should or should not be chosen in the games, not to mention, people will still keep making their preferred choices anyway.

Whether you agree with me or not on this one issue, doesn't matter. There is a Canon-Geralt in the Witcher 3 that you CAN follow. This Canon-Geralt will every single time get with Yen, that is all that interests me.

That is still only your "canon" Geralt, no matter how many times it is repeated. To declare something canon, it implies authority, and only the IP holders have that. According to Sapkowski, nothing is canon in the games (to his books, i.e. if he writes more books, he will not consider any game event as something that happened). And CDPR did not release an official statement that tells that you have to make choice X over Y. You might be 90% sure what "book Geralt" would do, or 99%, but it remains only a subjective opinion.

Nahh bro, Geralt would get with Yen, this is not "My Geralt" rofl this is universally accepted except by diehard Triss fans. Kallenski says on his great posts about "explaining Yennefer in game with a canon Geralt" there is a canon Geralt (or lore friendly if you prefer that word) that you can follow. If you follow Geralt as true to the books as you can (therefor lore-friendly or canon) he will get with Yen, don't really understand why you argue with this.

She almost says it. If Geralt lost his memory again, you think Triss would tell him the truth about Yen and Ciri? She goes on about how she used him and says it to him.

Letting herself be tortured for a sum total of 5 minutes and getting 4-5 nails torn off. Wow well done, Geralt was there making sure it was all under control. Nothing compared to what Yen did, had multiple fingers broken and was locked up in a dungeon and then a cell for 4 months, chained in dimeritium and fed lies by Vilgefortz that Geralt is not coming for her and he is dead. She helps Geralt so that she can try and get back into his pants again, when you choose Yen she even says "it was a lost cause" and i took that as everything she done in Novigrad we're trying to wiggle back into his life again.

She is in the 2nd game, she is using him for her own personal gains. As in, she wants that dick and she is jealously guarding it by with-holding the truth about Yen/Ciri.

I've told you, i have nothing against people making different decisions in the games, whatever you want to play it as, is fine by me, unless you side with Radovid, tho i don't think anyone is that evil (I think literally everyone kills him lol?). The only thing i complain about is Yen/Triss. How do i complain about this, i talk about how the true Geralt played as canon/lore-friendly to the books as possible would easily choose Yen over Triss yet you seem to disagree with that, don't really know why lol, did the whole love story of Geralt and Yen fly over your head in the books? Don't mean to be rude or anything xD.

Last edited:
OK, you guys really want me to lock another thread because some of you can't stay on topic? If not, please stop this whole Triss-Yen stuff, it's been discussed to death in other, more appropriate threads. Thank you.

Sorry. Just some of his statements really get me riled up lol... cos they made no sense but meh.

Last edited:
Edit: sorry, never mind, the moderator warning was posted while I was writing the post.

At the end of Blood and Wine, Geralt should have something like a "Ciri flashback moment during the white frost" where he remembers all your adventures from the game in a nostalgic cinematic detail. Let that roll in the entire post-credit for us to have enough time to grab our pillows and cry.
:affection:

i cant believe you guys still talk about yen/triss -.-

who cares about it right now?
we need more content ! stay on topic please...

Top Bottom